Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Ian Cummings has just posted his first of many Madden NFL 11 blogs, leading up to the release. In this blog, he talks about catch tuning, with a video from Madden NFL 10, showing catches that will be removed this year.

Quote:
"Well it’s hard to believe, but Madden NFL 11 will be here before you know it! The development team here at EA Sports Tiburon in sunny Orlando, FL has been hard at work trying to put together the best football game in history (our goal each year). We started off the season with a video blog introducing you to some of the team members, along with their whiteboards. Since then, we have been focusing on many different areas in the game from presentation to franchise to online, but this week we wanted to talk about everyone’s favorite aspect of Madden NFL – Gameplay. More specifically, catching."

FYI: Internet Explorer has issues opening the blog. Opening the link in Firefox seems to be fine.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Hova57 @ 03/24/10 01:27 PM
well everything that has to do with this blog i can't see. this sucks cheesenuts.

on first page on this thread i only see marktg intial post then nothing til i go to page 2 and the freaking link don't work could someone if its legal just post the blog in this thread plez

# 42 splff3000 @ 03/24/10 01:29 PM
Here ya go,

Quote:
Catch Tuning
by Ian Cummings 03/24/10 10:37 AM

Well it’s hard to believe, but Madden NFL 11 will be here before you know it! The development team here at EA Sports Tiburon in sunny Orlando, FL has been hard at work trying to put together the best football game in history (our goal each year). We started off the season with a video blog introducing you to some of the team members, along with their whiteboards. Since then, we have been focusing on many different areas in the game from presentation to franchise to online, but this week we wanted to talk about everyone’s favorite aspect of Madden NFL – Gameplay. More specifically, catching.

Please note: This is the first of many blogs we will release in anticipation of launch. In addition, our first major release announcement will come closer to the NFL Draft so stay tuned.

As developers, catching has always been one of the hardest and most frustrating areas of our game to tune because of the sheer amount of possibilities. When you start to try to account for all the different angles a pass could be coming in to a receiver along with the difference in his body position, it is always a difficult problem to solve. In years past, fixing catch problems has taken countless development hours to try to track down and address the issues. With that in mind, one of the first tasks we started addressing after we shipped Madden NFL 10 was to create a more user friendly catch ‘debugging’ tool. One of our talented software engineers, Kasey Keltner, created this tool which allows us to figure out why certain catches triggered, what other catches could have triggered, why some catches play more frequently than others, and helps identify angles where no animation is available. This tool has already helped us enormously by being able to see why certain things happen in Madden NFL 10.

One of the first catch issues we addressed was to force receivers to run through particular passes instead of triggering jumping catches. This was often seen on deeper passes like Streaks, Corners, and Deep Posts. Instead of slowing down and jumping up to catch a pass, a receiver in open space will try and catch the ball in stride now. These types of catches will only trigger, however, if there is not a defender in the path of the route or in a position to make a play on the ball. We want the Larry Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson type receivers to really go up and fight for the ball and come down with spectacular catches if there is a crowd of defenders around them.

Another area of focus we have been working on is tuning the frequency for when “aggressive” types of catches can trigger. In previous years there have been situations where you could sometimes see a receiver playing a catch where he runs back towards the ball. These could sometimes be seen on Curl/Hitch/Smash type routes as well as Screen routes behind the line of scrimmage. There is nothing more frustrating than calling a 5-yard route on 3rd and 4 and having the receiver catch it moving towards the QB and get tackled for a 2-yard gain.

Well, this year, the receiver won’t play those types of catches (unless of course there is a defender between him and the ball). If you are running a 10-Yard Curl and the defender is behind you, the receiver will always be forced to match a ‘standing’ catch so he can try to backpedal into the defender for extra yardage. Also, we eliminated the likelihood that a receiver that is behind the line of scrimmage (e.g. WR or HB Screen play) would play a running, aggressive style catch if he is in open space.

Finally, we have gotten sideline and back of the endzone catches to trigger in the appropriate situations. In previous years we have seen some situations where a receiver tries to make a catch near the sideline without making any attempt to get both feet inbounds. This was most commonly seen on flat and out breaking type routes.

For Madden NFL 11, with the help of the Catch Debugging Tool, we have corrected all of our sideline / back of the end zone catches. You no longer have to be afraid of trying to squeeze that Deep Out or Goalline fade inbounds, as now the receivers have much more advanced AI to get both feet in.

Along with all of this work, we have added several new catch animations to the game from recent motion capture shoots with the goal of adding more variety and creating more authentic animations to match what you see on Sundays.

Boldin

That’s all for this week folks. Join us next week for our live chat on Madden NFL 11 Catching Improvements. We look forward to answering any questions you all may have and don’t forget, more information about Madden NFL 11 to come.
Looks like I can't get the vid or the pic to work. The vid is just a bunch of the old sideline animations, or lack thereof, anyway.

# 43 Deli @ 03/24/10 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Was this really necessary?

Stop trying to ruin threads, people.
As a matter of fact yes it was necessary. I only inquire so I do not purchase the game under false pretenses as I purchased last year's iteration. Thank you for your concern.

# 44 da ThRONe @ 03/24/10 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
well everything that has to do with this blog i can't see. this sucks cheesenuts.

on first page on this thread i only see marktg intial post then nothing til i go to page 2 and the freaking link don't work could someone if its legal just post the blog in this thread plez
I was about to make the same request.

# 45 KyGamerLT @ 03/24/10 01:35 PM
Good Blog nice to see they know what is wrong, I hope they get it fixed. The sideline catches got really bad after the update. I hope to see some wr awr come into play with toe tapping.Will some wr be deep threats? will the jump ball be to powerful? Will this catch in stride animaton make drags and crossing routes more powerful against man? will stride catching destroy man defense? Will every wr get the same amount of seperation?

Is the curl returning this year since the wr wont come back to the ball but backpedal? Does this mean a wr will sit in a zone based on awr and route running? How will a DB react to the wr backpedal on a curl route?

I hope EA fix the Defense I like offense but Defense needs some serious love.

# 46 PantherBeast_OS @ 03/24/10 01:38 PM
Well I never cared for firefox. But I downloaded it and it helped out. But back to the blog talk. I see where Ian and his crew is going with the catching on the sidelne and stuff. But Ian got to remember that Players do run out of bounds why trying to catch. They shouldn't just throw the animation in there and say there you go. It needs to trigger at the right time and not all the time. These players should still be able catch ball out of bounds like in real life. Players catching passes with 2 feet in near the sideline is a random thing. This is where awareness ratings should really used in madden 11 now. Having all WR catch inbounds tipy toe animation 80% of the time would be to unreal. But not going to judge anything until I see full video of this sometime in the next month from Ian and company. Thanks for the blog Ian.Ya'll just up the good work.

# 47 sb24 @ 03/24/10 01:51 PM
Wow I cant even see half the content in this thread. I cant scroll past any of marktg30's post.

# 48 da bucs gm @ 03/24/10 01:58 PM
mark stop posting the link. because the ppl with the IE problems can't see anybody else posts after you post the link up til a new page has to be made for comments.

# 49 leo2k2ndc @ 03/24/10 02:00 PM
LoL ... This is an alright blog, but I am disappointed for another reason ... I was on pastapadre site and saw it had a video mentioned ... I thought it was new game animations ... FAIL!!

# 50 noshun @ 03/24/10 02:36 PM
Madden glitches are making their ways into the forums literally. Seems like the 'no blog' glitch to me. I kid.. I kid.
anyways off to read.

# 51 Pared @ 03/24/10 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deli
As a matter of fact yes it was necessary. I only inquire so I do not purchase the game under false pretenses as I purchased last year's iteration. Thank you for your concern.
Then rent it and leave the drama off the boards. If you don't want to take these blogs at face value, don't. But cut the snide remarks. It adds nothing to the thread.

# 52 jeremym480 @ 03/24/10 03:08 PM
Not bad for the first blog. If it works as explained this should definitely take the passing game to a whole new level. I'm looking forward to more new info.

# 53 ch46647 @ 03/24/10 03:19 PM
Well hopefully this fix actually works, if so then the catching will have made big strides over previous versions. I also think they should add the ability to jump for the ball as a reciever, not that ridiculous rocket catching but just a normal jump for the ball.

Hopefully they have also added "route based passing" and better ball velocity to take care of the passing game.

# 54 dmick4324 @ 03/24/10 03:26 PM
It was a good read, I can't help but be excited. It was extremely frustrating to have my receiver catch a pass running back towards the line of scrimmage followed by a failed hit stick by the computer to knock me back another 5 yards.

Cheers to intelligence on the field.

# 55 Joborule @ 03/24/10 04:36 PM
Good stuff. Really drives me up the wall when the reciever catches the ball in an odd fashion that prevents him from running it to the house or keeping the ball in bounce when he had a lot of time to prepare for it. Also would be great if screen passes aren't so hit and miss on the ball carrier making the wrong first steps or catch the ball in stride right into defenders in the middle of the field. Stay where you are, catch the ball, cut up the feild thank you.

These adjustments to the catching game will make a lot of difference to the passing game in general. Great receivers, especially the high hoppers should be able to stand out a lot more and gamers can be more aggressive at heaving the ball up for the receivers to make a play. Just as long as the defense is smart enough to make plays on the ball when they able to and catch the easy picks more often.

# 56 LBzrule @ 03/24/10 04:51 PM
I like the new Boldin screen. Keep them coming lol. One thing I want to comment on though. I hope it is possible for curl routes that if the DB is playing well off, I'm hoping that you also have time to square up after you catch the pass. So if I have Boldin for instance, which I will and the DB is playing off coverage, I hit him on the curl, I should be able to square up and face the DB as he is making his way toward me, now the moves come into play. I might stiff arm him or maybe he tries to tackle me low. I think this is a great start, however, I want more after the catch.

# 57 TheWatcher @ 03/24/10 06:31 PM
Sounds good. Sideline catches have been a problem in lots of football games. You expect the WR to at least attempt to tap his feet, but he either doesn't or does it ridiculously late. It's very frustrating. So a fix here would great.

But we also need for code involving whether the WR was in or not, to recognize properly. I've had a lot of situations where a team got a TD past the 2-minute cutoff and it wasn't reviewed from upstairs. So the CPU got a free TD. Then there were other situations at different points in the game where a TD was ruled a catch, even though the user replay clearly showed that it wasn't, but for some reason I couldn't challenge it, or I got the same myself and the CPU didn't review it.

.. and finally, the challenge replay angles... those are just not good at all and have been bad for all 5 games of this generation. The angles are totally unhelpful to figuring out whether the play was good or not. So in addition to fixing the catch tuning for sideline catches, I hope that these other things that branch off from it are fixed as well.

# 58 Atomic Martian @ 03/24/10 06:39 PM
LOL i told myself i wouldnt read any blogs till or search for info for at least 3 weeks
FAIL!, but good news none the less last year we were talking about motion tracking in the first blog. So many things the devs took care of last year cant wait!

# 59 HolyCrap @ 03/24/10 06:50 PM
I just hope these new sideline catch and new catch animations don't defy physics.

Also receivers start to make catches that don't make sense or some how stay in bounds when in real life momentum would have prevented them from coming down in bounds.

Madden is such an offensive game already, sometimes those glitches of wr running out of bounds was the only thing that could keep u in the game.

# 60 jclentzthadon @ 03/24/10 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I like the new Boldin screen. Keep them coming lol. One thing I want to comment on though. I hope it is possible for curl routes that if the DB is playing well off, I'm hoping that you also have time to square up after you catch the pass. So if I have Boldin for instance, which I will and the DB is playing off coverage, I hit him on the curl, I should be able to square up and face the DB as he is making his way toward me, now the moves come into play. I might stiff arm him or maybe he tries to tackle me low. I think this is a great start, however, I want more after the catch.
This is a HUGE thing in my eyes and I have brought this up in the past. Give the WR's a chance at a run after catch even on a simple curl route. This happens all the time on any given sunday, escpecially guys like Boldin.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.