Home
Tecmo Bowl Throwback News Post

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of Tecmo Bowl Throwback. The game is scheduled to launch in the next few weeks on PlayStation 3 ($9.99) and Xbox Live (800 Microsoft Points).

Quote:
"While being able to scrub between the new HD visuals and the old, pixely sprites is undoubtedly cool, I can't help but think that users would be able to get more bang for their buck if the developers had separated the two presentation styles into different modes. As it stands, the array of moves are limited to two buttons, no matter the visuals on-screen. You pass with one button, you switch your targeted receivers and players on defense (though never during a play) with another and you run with the left analog stick with the ability to break out of tackles by frantically tapping on a button. There's no speed burst, no hurdle, and no dive button. Yes, Tecmo Bowl Throwback is football at its simplest, so don't expect to find a replacement for Madden.

From my relatively limited experience with Tecmo Bowl Throwback, I can say that there's a lot of nostalgic fun to be had, though it's not quite the same feeling as it was back in the good old days, due to the lack of the NFL license. It also doesn't help that you can't create your own team, at least not in my preview version. Tecmo claims "customizable teams" as being included, but that only allows you to edit current squads. Thankfully every pro NFL city is represented, so it shouldn't take you all that long to get the proper rosters locked in."

Game: Tecmo Bowl ThrowbackReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 statnut @ 04/26/10 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I'll get the feelers out here once the game drops. Would you guys be interested in an OS ladder for Tecmo Bowl Throwback? I did one for APF and it was pretty successful.

Basically, I did it where you get 3 points for a win, 1 point for a loss. At the end of the ladder "season" we'd have a tournament with the seedings according to your ladder position (with a cutoff if necessary).

Users would simply report the result of who they played. Games only counted against other people involved in the ladder.

The big advantage to it was that it was very casual, so there was no time commitment necessary to be involved. It was fun. Just an idea.
Count me in.

# 22 centauris @ 04/26/10 01:09 PM
The Tecmo twitter refuses to answer my questions.. so I'm assuming we can not edit playbooks for online play, and our edited rosters will not show up during online play. They would have confirmed this in interviews with journalists if it was in the game.

disappointing.

# 23 statnut @ 04/26/10 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauris
The Tecmo twitter refuses to answer my questions.. so I'm assuming we can not edit playbooks for online play, and our edited rosters will not show up during online play. They would have confirmed this in interviews with journalists if it was in the game.

disappointing.
That's a big leap in logic. You may be right, but them not answering their Twitter feed doesn't mean that it's not in the game.

# 24 TheWatcher @ 04/26/10 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauris
nope.. it's the 28th. one of the websites was wrong and said 29th (including Major Nelson)
Yes! Just two more days! I'm so ready.

# 25 elgreazy1 @ 04/26/10 02:53 PM
Kasey, count me in for the ladder.

Maybe if we build up a good enough community we can eventually have a tourney with a simple prize of some XBL points or something?

# 26 CreatineKasey @ 04/26/10 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Kasey, count me in for the ladder.

Maybe if we build up a good enough community we can eventually have a tourney with a simple prize of some XBL points or something?
Sounds good to me. I'll start compiling things as this week wears on and we actually get a crack at the game.

# 27 The GIGGAS @ 04/26/10 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotsk1d
Im gunna buy this, backbreaker, madden, and ncaa this year. It will be nice having 4 options, but im gunna get all of them that way i can compaire all them and will see which one i like the most.
Creatine, count me in for the ladder. I'll probably be getting the game at launch unless I try the demo and I feel like it's horrific.

# 28 CreatineKasey @ 04/26/10 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
Creatine, count me in for the ladder. I'll probably be getting the game at launch unless I try the demo and I feel like it's horrific.
Sounds good. I'll write up a little review for it so you guys can get my honest opinion. I've put years into seriously (excessively?) competitive Tecmo so I know many of the little tricks.

# 29 centauris @ 04/26/10 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Sounds good. I'll write up a little review for it so you guys can get my honest opinion. I've put years into seriously (excessively?) competitive Tecmo so I know many of the little tricks.

do you still play?

I'm a part of a Tecmo league that you should check out if you still play.

PM me if you want.

# 30 CreatineKasey @ 04/26/10 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears_16_and_0
does anyone know if half the ratings are going to be meaningless like in the old game and the one for DS?
It'll be the same as the SNES version. I think Quickness, Running speed, and Pass control are all meaningless? Not sure.

# 31 noles_fan21 @ 04/27/10 08:38 PM
would b nice if we edit rosters the names show up online

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.