Home
Madden 2010 News Post

According to Kotaku and Ian Cummings, 350,000 people played Madden NFL 10 online once, to never return to another Madden 10 online game again. That is a crazy number, don't you think?

Quote:
"An estimated 350,000 people played last year's Madden NFL 10 once online and never played it online again, series creative director Ian Cummings recently told Kotaku.

He and publisher EA are mum on online multiplayer details for this summer's Madden NFL 11, but that's a number the creators of one of gaming's biggest franchises clearly wants to reduce.

More than a third of a million people dare to go online with a game and never try it a second time? Something or somethings are scaring them away."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Only1LT @ 04/27/10 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Flashbacks of Clinton... it all depends on what the meaning of is, is.

Nah, one does not exclude the other. Their biggest DLC hit, MUT, was geared towards both.

There are plenty of games that have sold very well without online capabilities. Online provides the opportunity for additional sales. All you have to is look at DLC and MUT for proof.

For COD, agree. For something like DragonAge, Assassin's Creed, BioShock, or Unchartered, definitely not the case. Even these games want the gamer to be online, so they can push DLC.
True and not true lol.

Games like Assassins Creed and Dragon Age are obviously trying to capitalize on DLC by adding more content to the story mode. So that is an obvious nod to what you are saying.

However, games like Uncharted, which you also mentioned, are a nod to what I am saying. There are quite a few games that never had multiplayer components before that are getting them now because the market is such that games with online components are more sellable than those that don't have it. It adds replay value to it. The added value of the online increases sales in general. Even Bio-Shock which you also mentioned added an online component on the second go round. Even GTA IV has online multiplayer.

Like I said, they definitely want to sell you the online content, but the fact that a game has online multiplayer already makes it more marketable, and that's why you see most games with one, regardless of genre.

# 82 NorrinRadd12 @ 04/27/10 02:47 PM
Human vs human is so much better when the game is set to All-Madden, especially with 15 min qtrs/25 sec accel. The run blocking is very realistic, the tackles are alot crisper and you can't just throw into coverage. On All-pro the dropped INTs are ridiculous. On All-Madden defense is on point (especially in the flats) and if you're careless and throw into coverage it's getting picked off. To this day I'm still seeing new animations I've never seen before. There's nothing cheese you can do either. The cpu players elminate it.

The game is dumbed down on All-Pro and it's pretty sloppy. When I play unranked All-Madden 15 min qtrs sometimes I'll get a "lobby" player who thinks he can always go for it on 4th down, run around with Vick, throw into coverage, never sub. Then he ends up quitting late in the 2nd qtr when he's losing 24-0 to the Bucs and his entire DL's energy level is red or white.

Letting people play Ranked on All-Madden without paying and giving the option for 15 min qtrs would really improve the online part of the game.

If anyone wants to play tonight friend request me. My GT is NorrinRadd12

# 83 bewoulf @ 04/27/10 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3B0W
Unfortunately, I am one of the 350,000 Madden fans who did just that. It was very early in the piece and after having issues with LAG, I then came across some petulant kid who liked the taste of cheese. I countered, clawed back with a 24-21 lead and he disconnected. No reward for my hard work. I was done.

Another reason for not playing online as much as I perhaps should is simply not knowing anyone who plays online. If I did, and I think that will change with Madden 11 as a member here, I guess I'd be playing online a lot more.
Their are a ton of people that play online some guys like the ranked games stuff other guys love the online franchise aspect. If you want to play more quality games online join a league they are a lot of fun. I have been playing with some guys for the last 6 years online going back to the ps2 with the spawn game feature which was not perfect but allowed us to have a franchise league and also play practice games with the teams we had built through the draft and free agency. Do not get me wrong it does take some committment but it is well worth it. If they could get online franchise to the point of making it easy to manage for the commissioners of the league and also give us the full on franchise then you would see a dramatic rise in the # of people who would play online. Just a thought.

# 84 Rebel10 @ 04/27/10 03:08 PM
Playing competatively (ie, against real opponents) is not fun for anybody who likes to play a football game like how it is played in real life. There is very little risk online for playing uncharacteristic of an NFL team... in real life, if a coach calls 4 consecutive hail marys, and they all land incomplete or get intercepted, the coach is fired. In Madden, not only is there no risk, but the reward often outweighs the risk.. one of those will be caught and one of those will turn into a touch down (maybe this doesn't happen anymore, but it still applies to the other over-used plays like screens in M'10). It's the same with unconventional playcalling in the 4th quarter, and simply taking the ability away from gamers doesn't make sense, but the lack of penalty or punishment for unconventional all reward no risk play takes away from the online component of football games.

Additionally, games simply take too long online. I don't like being in a 1 on 1 chat room with somebody for 50 minutes... having to make passive small talk if we're both on the mic... It is intensely awkward.

NCAA used to allow you to play the OT Drill mode online, and the mode was tons of fun. It'd take anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes and you'd get in a quick game. If Madden could implement an online mode that didn't take such a time committment, I'd like it.

Additionally, there are few ways to have semi-competative fun with friends. The Madden Ultimate Team mode was something that had the ability to be a blast playing with friends, but the Madden crew totally didn't think the whole mode through and you couldn't play against your friends with the mode... it was ridiculous, the one mode that would be the most fun to play with your friends, building a team and having a unique experience... barred you from playing with friends. I wrote about this topic here and how the mode could easily be improved and include that.

# 85 DiddyGotGrillz @ 04/27/10 03:16 PM
Count me as one of those 350,000. For me, none of my friends like Madden and I simply refuse to play with someone I don't know. I despise the way people run screen passes all game just to pick up a "W." It's the nature of online play, people don't care HOW they win so what would interest me in playing a guy who practically cheats to win? It's simply not appealing to me. With that being said, I LOVE to play with my friends who actually run a variety of plays.....but for that we play NCAA.

# 86 ryan36 @ 02/11/11 03:20 PM
I'm closing this. It's 6 months old.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.