Madden NFL 11 News Post

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 CreatineKasey @ 04/27/10 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I think both parties are correct. Coaches do script plays but only the 1st "X" amount of plays. After that they call the plays based on what the other time is showing. I would like to see something NCAA had with their Set-up plays (but better). So your play calling affects the game and its not just random play calling. NCAA was on to something although it wasnt implemented correctly.
I think what I'll end up doing is at least calling gameflow for a couple of series until I get a real idea of what my opponent is calling. If they continue to mix it up, I'll continue to just use gameflow. If they get repetitive, I'll hand pick a play to beat their D.

Things change in context to the score, also. Once I'm up 2 scores in the 4th I'll probably be hand picking plays to run the game out.

Still, I like the idea of starting out with a base gameplan and just focusing on execution and reading the defense. Having my ideal gameplan already put together allows me to focus my mind on other tasks at hand. Usually I do have a few plays picked ahead of time to set up the defense. That takes a lot of attention away from other things, such as the actual current play being run.

# 22 mvb34 @ 04/27/10 04:57 PM
I know they haven't saying anything about how gameplan will work in franchise mode but it would be cool for you to have practice your plays before adding them into gameplan and just like in NFL Head Coache the more you practice the more your players have knowledge of the plays..

# 23 Bootzilla @ 04/27/10 07:09 PM
I'm loving this. I can't wait to put in game plans. It would be nice if you decide to not go with the play called for you, if you could cycle through just the plays you've selected for those situations as oppossed to going through the entire playbook. In other words if the o-coordinater selects a dive play on 3rd and 1 and I would prefer to go play action. I would have some play action pass plays in my 3rd and short gameplan. Instead of going through the entire playbook I'd like to be able to go to just the plays in the 3rd and short gameplan to more easily find the play action pass that fits that situation.

# 24 moneal2001 @ 04/27/10 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
GameFlow???...How about GAMEPLAY!!!...Ea has literally run out of viable methods to freshen the game up...So let me get this...They are gonna hype a new feature that helps people call plays BUT the plays are the same old stale plays in the same old stale playbooks that they've been using for 10 years...
wow have you even read anything that has been released about the game in the past month? This is about the most worthless post on these boards. If you can think of better things just post your ideas.

# 25 johnnyg713 @ 04/27/10 07:25 PM
What would be really cool is if seeing your opponents plays and stats depending on your scouting rating in franchise. For example if you had really good scouting you would be able to see mostly everything the other team runs. If you had just okay you only say half of what the other teams runs etc.

# 26 Palo20 @ 04/27/10 07:45 PM
When coaches gameplan, they're basically playing percentages based off what they see on tape. If a team plays cover 3 on 3rd and 10 60 % of the time then the offensive coaches will gameplan cover 3 beaters for that situation.

The good QBs make their checks at the line based off what they see. When the D shows "X" front, they usually run this blitz, so let's audible to a play that will beat it.

Obviuosly as the game goes on, there are adjustments to be made.

# 27 Bootzilla @ 04/27/10 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
What would be really cool is if seeing your opponents plays and stats depending on your scouting rating in franchise. For example if you had really good scouting you would be able to see mostly everything the other team runs. If you had just okay you only say half of what the other teams runs etc.
Vs. the cpu you can do this it seems by going through other teams default gameplans. On 3rd and short the Dolphins may be likely to go to the Wildcat, the Ravens may be likely to go with a jumbo package, and the Broncos may look to spread you out and throw a bubble screen. In the default gameplan, the plays they're morelikely to call will have more stars next to it I would imagine.

# 28 Purple28Pedestrian @ 04/27/10 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
This is awesome. I'm totally using this feature to it's fullest! Gameplanning each week of my online franchise will be a lot lot lot of fun!

I'd much rather plan my strategy before the game and execute during it. I've had dozens of times in practice mode where I found something I loved and forgot about it the next day. Now, I can instantly adjust my base gameplan and simply execute on game day.

Awesome feature, EA. Gameplan will turn gameflow into a beast.
Is it just plays? or is it the mentality behind the players, will I be able to dictate whether they should play run more or pass more, depending on the team or is it just setting certain plays for certain situations?

# 29 johnnyg713 @ 04/27/10 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
Vs. the cpu you can do this it seems by going through other teams default gameplans. On 3rd and short the Dolphins may be likely to go to the Wildcat, the Ravens may be likely to go with a jumbo package, and the Broncos may look to spread you out and throw a bubble screen. In the default gameplan, the plays they're morelikely to call will have more stars next to it I would imagine.
Right.. what I was getting at was they should sort of restrict how much you see depending on your scouting level

# 30 at23steelers @ 04/27/10 08:12 PM
I really like this feature. Now, I can stick to the gameplan, and not shy away from it, when I get too lazy to have to scroll through all the plays and find a good one. I really hope they do add a lot more formations and plays to the playbooks specifically designed for that team. The Steelers D playbook is so generic and pretty much the same as any other 3-4 playbook in the game. I know Dick Lebeau likes to blitz a lot, but most of the plays in the playbook don't reflect that. I am all for Lebeau now calling the plays for me, if they are similar to the ones he runs in real life.

# 31 PVarck31 @ 04/27/10 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by granddogg
this looks like a good thing......p.s. why are people coming in these treads just to hate..lmao
You've been here for 3 years and you have to ask that question.

# 32 Valdarez @ 04/27/10 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Valdarez.

Online especially, people tend to attack the same section of the field or run certain patterns until you stop it. That's actually how a real NFL team would call plays, depending on your school of thought. A team will constantly run crossing routes if you can't stop it. If I see a team doing that I'll probably stop using man coverage. How does Game Plan take any of this into account? This Game Plan (as far as we know) is not taking the actual plays that occur in a game into consideration. It's nice that it takes down and distance into account, but because it doesn't factor in the routes they run this actually takes away our ability to strategize and you could end up getting beat anyway.

So what if the game knows the Packers run out of Shotgun on 1st downs? What's important is, does the game know that they run slants and then more importantly if you're on the opposing team, will the Game Plan suggestion on defense recognize that and call a play that might stop that? Gameplanning for a 3 receiver set means nothing imo...that's too general.
Odds of probability were in my favor.

It's a good question though. If a team is running the ball, does your OC know to make the appropriate adjustments? I was thinking of it more from an offensive standpoint. For example, if my opponent is showing man/bump all game long, I'm going to start throwing some screen plays, throw arrow routes that break the bump coverage, use motion to get off the coverage, or try to run it on him from unexpected formations. I don't see how the game can take that into account as it's not a situation. Conversely, if I see a particular type of zone coverage being called, Cover 2, Cover 3, or Cover 4 repeatedly, I'm going to shred the zones with appropriate passing routes. Those aren't situations, those are reacting to the player and their defense. That's how I would play online.

I could give the examples for the defense as well. The situation is part of how you call a game, but taking advantage of what your opponent is showing you is just as integral to effective play calling.

# 33 lolfalconsbeatu @ 04/27/10 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Odds of probability were in my favor.

It's a good question though. If a team is running the ball, does your OC know to make the appropriate adjustments? I was thinking of it more from an offensive standpoint. For example, if my opponent is showing man/bump all game long, I'm going to start throwing some screen plays, throw arrow routes that break the bump coverage, use motion to get off the coverage, or try to run it on him from unexpected formations. I don't see how the game can take that into account as it's not a situation. Conversely, if I see a particular type of zone coverage being called, Cover 2, Cover 3, or Cover 4 repeatedly, I'm going to shred the zones with appropriate passing routes. Those aren't situations, those are reacting to the player and their defense. That's how I would play online.

I could give the examples for the defense as well. The situation is part of how you call a game, but taking advantage of what your opponent is showing you is just as integral to effective play calling.
This how I play online, and I think all games should be played like this -- football is a chess match.

# 34 ofdman @ 04/27/10 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
Don't want to derail the thread but YES..I have followed most of what EA plans for Madden this year and it was this thread that kinda led me to that post...I don't post much...I recall the threads and videos about running animations last year that actually had the game looking quite promising but at the end of the day it was much ado about nothing because those things did not make it into the game.

In a nutshell most of what EA hypes is not even worthy of discussing when the vast majority of the game is in shambles...I'm not a Madden Novice...I've bought every game for 20+ years, played heavy on the tournament scene and ran many online leagues...I'm Madden's biggest fan but at some point you literally have to start wondering...How many years are we going to have to wait???...The biggest problem I see is the game is actually as good as its ever been but in the context of where a next gen sports game like Madden Should be...It has not even come close to where many of us thought it might be at the inception of next gen.

I've actually resigned myself to believe we will likely never see Football game that will "WOW" us until exclusivity is over and somebody else gives us a different interpretation of NFL Football...Just my .02

Well said. And you're right, until the exclusivity is over we will continue getting these lame "new" features in Madden which do nothing to improve the AI, animations and atmosphere of their game.

What freaks me out more than anything is just how many hardcore Madden fans STILL hang on to this game year after year believing EA's hype. It's just... bizarre.

It was Madden's first game on the Sega Genesis that got me back into gaming all those years ago so I have EA to thank for that.

So long Madden NFL. It was fun for awhile but now... now it is over.

Ah... who am I kiddin'? I'll buy it again this year like I ALWAYS DO!!

DAMN YOU EA!! DAAAAAMN YOOOOOOOU!

# 35 PlatooN @ 04/27/10 10:44 PM
i love this feature already

# 36 Valdarez @ 04/27/10 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
We don't see eye to eye on the gameflow/gameplan game play addition, which is fine, doesn't make us right or wrong, just opinionated.

It might cater to the casual crowd, but I'm sure it will appeal to the sim/veteran crowd, such as myself, based on the feedback from the CD folks.
Agreed, we all have our different opinions. Doesn't make one right or the other wrong.

I can see studying the film to provide proper play calling and better coaching AI s realistic, but GameFlow itself feels too much like Ask Madden with customization to me.

It could be that the Madden team wants to provide better coaching AI and they simply can't tout it as a feature, as many would think that's something that should be in the game after 20 years of development. I know that when I want to get something in from a design standpoint, that many times I have to find a way that engages management, or the business, such that they take a vested interest in it. This allows me to get the technical changes in that I need, while giving the business a bell and whistle to tout to the customers. I can definitely see where GameFlow/GamePlan can be used as a stepping stone to better coaching AI. I don't think it gets us 100% there, but definitely a step in that direction. I definitely want better coaching AI, but I want to be the one calling the plays, not my computer / coordinator (offensive/defensive).

# 37 johnnyg713 @ 04/27/10 10:58 PM
What is sim about game flow is the fact the we as hardcore gamers can spend all the time we want altering and changing our game plan. Because of this I am very excited to make different game plans that cater to each of my friends' play style. This is what is very in-depth and casual gamers will prob not even touch this.

However like Val states and what concerns me as well is how does game flow adjust to someone running the ball to the right 5 plays in a row. We'll have to wait and see but I am positive the CD guys have mentioned this to the devs.

# 38 Valdarez @ 04/27/10 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
What is sim about game flow is the fact the we as hardcore gamers can spend all the time we want altering and changing our game plan. Because of this I am very excited to make different game plans that cater to each of my friends' play style. This is what is very in-depth and casual gamers will prob not even touch this.

However like Val states and what concerns me as well is how does game flow adjust to someone running the ball to the right 5 plays in a row. We'll have to wait and see but I am positive the CD guys have mentioned this to the devs.
I sent Ian a tweet asking that they give gamers the ability to rate a play after it's been run. That would allow gamers to dynamically adjust the GamePlans as they play the game, and require less time in the GamePlan editing screen. No reply back from him yet.

# 39 johnnyg713 @ 04/27/10 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I sent Ian a tweet asking that they give gamers the ability to rate a play after it's been run. That would allow gamers to dynamically adjust the GamePlans as they play the game, and require less time in the GamePlan editing screen. No reply back from him yet.
I understand now what you mean by someone running the same play until it is no longer affective. Say for example your playing the colts and dwight freeney gets hurt during the game. You better believe your gonna start running the ball to the left side. Does game flow notice this kind of change? How can I make it so game flow will start calling these plays without me having to go to the playbook before every down? I wonder if game flow takes player ratings and stuff into consideration. Mismatches and strength and weaknesses also huge factors. An example of this is say you have a team double teaming randy moss and wes welker is getting open almost every play. Is game flow going to start noticing Wes being open all the time and run more plays towards his way?

# 40 splff3000 @ 04/27/10 11:52 PM
I don't understand how people can say this is sim. IT'S A CUSTOMIZABLE ASK MADDEN!!! It's really what ask Madden should've been from the start. Instead of just picking plays randomnly, ask madden should have a set of plays for 3rd and short, 3rd and medium, 3rd and long, etc. That's what it should've been from the start. The only difference now is you can choose what plays ask Madden chooses for you. Why don't you cut out the middle man and just call the play yourself? I have to give it to EA's marketing team, they are very good. They know "Ask Madden 2.0" wouldn't sound enticing to the hardcore crowd so they come up with gameflow and gameplan. Now everyone can't wait for Ask Madden 2.0.

When you look at it, that's all you're doing is setting up the ask madden plays. Do you really think this is a gameplan? Think about it. How can you come up with a gameplan for your opponent with no footage of previous games? You know absolutely nothing about your opponent, outside of franchise, yet, you're going to gameplan for him? Hell, even in franchise, all you know is their depth chart and injuries. How are you going to gameplan against your opponent using 5 WR sets 50% of the time if you don't even know that they get in 5 WR sets? Unless, EA adds an "opponents favorite plays" feature, ala last gen, this will be as useless in franchise as it is outside of it.

I'm gonna tell you all when you will realize that this is just Ask Madden 2.0. When you spend 30-45 minutes setting up your "gameplan" and you go into a game and end up having to call over half of the defensive plays yourself because the "defensive coordinator" keeps calling pass defenses against 3 and 4 WR sets even though your opponent is running out of those formations. Or when your "defensive coordinator" keeps blitzing on 3rd and long( because that's what you "gameplanned") even though you're getting torched everytime you blitz. I can see all kinds of scenarios like this playing out because the CPU will not and can not adjust to what's happening on the field.

Then there's a few more questions about gameflow/gameplan:

What if you're playing head to head, whether offline or online, and your opponent doesn't want to use gameflow? What happens then? I have a strange suspicion that gameflow will be mandatory online. We all know that the settings have to be exactly the same for games online so they'll either have to make it mandatory off or mandatory on. I say it'll be the latter. Also, if a friend comes over, how is he going to set up his gameplan? We all know that you can't load 2 profiles in head to head games. Is he going to have to just deal with the gameplan of the team that he picks? What about the defense if your opponent isn't using gameflow? Is he only gonna have 10 seconds to pick his play since you're not using anytime picking yours?

Can you change your gameplan throughout the game? What if your starting QB gets hurt? Are you stuck with the gameplan that you set before you started the game or can you change it during the game. IRL, a OC or DC would adjust his gameplan accordingly when an injury occurs. Even if you can( which I doubt you will be able to do because remember.....this is Ask Madden 2.0) you're going to have to redo your offensive or defensive gameplan because of the injury. I'm willing to bet, with injuries, we'll be back to our old game times. That is, even if you can change your gameplan during the game.

That's not all that I have, but I have to get back to work so I'll leave it at that for now.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.