Home
MLB 2K10 News Post

2K Sports Awards Alabama Man $1,000,000 for Perfection

First person to throw verified perfect game in Major League Baseball® 2K10 revealed

New York, NY - May 5, 2010 - 2K Sports announced today that 24-year-old Wade McGilberry of Semmes, Alabama has won an unprecedented cash prize in the amount of $1,000,000 by being the first person to throw a verified perfect game in Major League Baseball® 2K10, the latest iteration of the popular Major League Baseball® 2K series. The special contest, which was available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft through the Xbox LIVE® online entertainment network* and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system through the PlayStation®Network*, illustrated 2K Sports' dedication to delivering vastly improved gameplay and pitching mechanics this season in Major League Baseball 2K10.

"It was actually my wife who convinced me to go for it," said Wade McGilberry, winner of 2K Sports' Perfect Game competition. "I never thought I'd actually win a million dollars playing a video game, it's all still sinking in for me." Wade threw a verified perfect game on the first day of the competition, a feat thought by many to be impossible. He went on to add, "The game itself was fantastic - I'm glad I bought it either way ¬- but I have to say, this is a nice return on my investment."

"This competition was an amazing ride for us," said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. "We honestly had no idea what to expect. But the incredible response from the fans and the buzz surrounding the competition was nothing that we could have ever predicted. Throwing a perfect game in Major League Baseball 2K10 is anything but easy. We congratulate Wade on his successful pursuit of perfection."

Fans were able to participate in the $1,000,000 Major League Baseball 2K10 contest beginning on March 2, 2010 at 12:01 AM PST. The competition ended on May 1, 2010 at 11:59 PM PDT. To compete, gamers had to play in MLB Today mode, select from any of the available matchups, and then choose the option to participate in the ‘MLB 2K10 contest' that automatically defaulted to the proper gameplay settings as defined by the official contest rules. Entries had to be recorded via camera or digital video recorder in compliance with guidelines provided by 2K in the official rules, and all eligible entrants had to submit a copy of their recording in its entirety for verification. Submissions were only accepted on DVD. To ensure accuracy in the verification and submission process, 2K Sports partnered with Twin Galaxies International, the worldwide authority on video game world records, and provider of scores to Guinness World Records that are published in the Guinness World Records: Gamer's Edition. On May 2, 2010, 2K Sports, in conjunction with Twin Galaxies International, began reviewing player submission videos. After a thorough review process, 2K Sports determined that Wade McGilberry was the first person to throw a verified perfect game in Major League Baseball 2K10.

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio, Major League Baseball 2K10 is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and is now available for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, WiiTM system, Nintendo DSTM and Windows PC. For more information about Major League Baseball 2K10, please visit http://www.2ksports.com/games/mlb2k10.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K10Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 33 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 StevenSeagalsLipitor @ 05/06/10 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared52
The article on CNBC said they didn't take out insurance because they couldn't calculate the odds of someone winning the prize so the $1 million will come out of their pocket.

Of course the US Government also won this contest, just like they win every lottery and game show.
I think the amount of additional sales generated from this contest far surpassed the million dollars they spent on the contest itself, in fact, given the advertising they probably spent 2 million on this contest given all the advertising they did. I mean think about it, this guy is on The Early Show, Howard Stern, etc. And thats free publicity for the game, they also had some big ads on big tv shows too. That million bucks was nothing compared to what they made from the contest.

# 22 nixon08 @ 05/06/10 04:02 PM
I listened to the winner and his wife on Howard Stern this morning - he used Kenshin Kawakami believe it or not.

Some interesting facts:

-Threw the perfect game on only his 7th try.

-Had no experience at all with the game, it's demo, or any prior year's version. He mentioned something about how much better the game is than the other baseball games he's played - "older baseball games".

-Knew almost nothing about baseball, hadn't even heard of the pitcher he threw the pg with.

-Is an avid gamer in general - just not sports games.

And of course this was Howard Stern so we got some additional nuggets of info such as:

-He and his wife are only 23 years old, are devout Christians and plan to give 10% (before tax!!!) of the mil to the church.

-Neither have ever been drunk, tried pot, or had sex with or even so much as kissed another person. They waited until they got married to have sex and had even planned on waiting until marriage to kiss until the chick decided she didn't want their first kiss to be in front of an audience. Given this info you can also go ahead and figure out the "other things" the do not partake in.

-When asked what sins they have committed, his wife replied "well one time I fell off the back of the sofa and got a big ol' bump on my forehead n' I lied to my daddy n' told him I ran into a wall - because we were strictly forbidden from sitting on the back of the sofa".

To no one's surprise, his only sin (that he revealed) was skipping school to play video games.

# 23 Trevytrev11 @ 05/06/10 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon08
I listened to the winner and his wife on Howard Stern this morning - he used Kenshin Kawakami believe it or not.

Some interesting facts:

-Had no experience at all with the game, it's demo, or any prior year's version. He mentioned something about how much better the game is than the other baseball games he's played - "older baseball games".

-Knew almost nothing about baseball, hadn't even heard of the pitcher he threw the pg with.

And of course this was Howard Stern so we got some additional nuggets of info such as:

-He and his wife are only 23 years old, are devout Christians and plan to give 10% (before tax!!!) of the mil to the church.

-Neither have ever been drunk, tried pot, or had sex with or even so much as kissed another person. They waited until they got married to have sex and had even planned on waiting until marriage to kiss until the chick decided she didn't want their first kiss to be in front of an audience. Given this info you can also go ahead and figure out the "other things" the do not partake in.

-When asked what sins they have committed, his wife replied "well one time I fell off the back of the sofa and got a big ol' bump on my forehead n' I lied to my daddy n' told him I ran into a wall - because we were strictly forbidden from sitting on the back of the sofa".

To no one's surprise, his only sin (that he revealed) was skipping school to play video games.

Hillarious and ironic that it happened to some guy like this and not some hard core baseball/sports gamer.

# 24 Cusefan @ 05/06/10 04:56 PM
Quote:

Some interesting facts:

To no one's surprise, his only sin (that he revealed) was skipping Work to play video games.

Fixed

As always, Howard Stern can turn what would be a horrible interview into a very good one, probably the best interviewer in Entertainment. I thought it was pretty funny that this guy did spill the beans that he pitched a perfect game within a day after it came out. I cannot Imagine 2K is very happy with him, he basically said that 2k waited 2 months before releasing this info, giving the impression that no one had won it.

# 25 RubenDouglas @ 05/06/10 05:10 PM
maybe scam is the wrong word. In this sort of setting, waiting 2 months seems just flat out unethical. but then again I guess its up to the consumer to realize a winner has already had it won by that first week and that your chances of winning anything from week 2 to week 8 is likely sitting around zero.

But this does play into the whole "what if" situation that the lottery does when it preys on the millions that it does. People feel inherently lucky.

The hundreds of blogs and news articles that have picked up on this aren't taking note of the entry dates so I guess I'm just grasping at straws

good day

# 26 rp71284 @ 05/06/10 06:31 PM
LOL if 2k came out a week later and said it was over, they would have lost sales.

On a lighter note, if you want to get 2k10 used, you should be able to find it in your local gaming store or eBay at an even bigger bargain.

# 27 stlstudios189 @ 05/06/10 06:52 PM
I get the whole "scam" statement but, I don't know what to think about it. I understand them not releasing the winner until the end, but, after day 2 the ads were outdated.

# 28 PlatooN @ 05/06/10 06:56 PM
That reporter is a *******. Like he screamed when he thought he got a hit. lol

# 29 canes21 @ 05/06/10 07:26 PM
What a great guy to get a million dollars. Howard Stern is a terrible guy...

Hey ohhhhhhhh

# 30 blackscorpion11 @ 05/06/10 10:02 PM
Quote:

Some interesting facts:

Always glad to see the avg joe come up!

Not buying it though...I had a game last night where i had cincinnati playing at pittsburgh in my franchise.. I took a one hitter into the eight inning..never heard of this contest until now but it doesnt seem that hard to do.??

So why pay a million for it? then again , i'm not the trusting type..

# 31 blackscorpion11 @ 05/06/10 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Fixed

As always, Howard Stern can turn what would be a horrible interview into a very good one, probably the best interviewer in Entertainment. I thought it was pretty funny that this guy did spill the beans that he pitched a perfect game within a day after it came out. I cannot Imagine 2K is very happy with him, he basically said that 2k waited 2 months before releasing this info, giving the impression that no one had won it.
Youre right.. pretty pathetic trying to generate sales thru a weak ***, willy wonka golden ticket perfect game contest??/

ps.. I still like the game though..get the sliders right and it's fun enough

# 32 acreyman @ 05/06/10 11:19 PM
Good for him. I bought the game last month and never tried for the million. I figured it was as good as gone anyways. I am still enjoying the game. Its a good filler till NCAA 11 Football comes out.

# 33 Buckeye @ 05/07/10 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreyman
Good for him. I bought the game last month and never tried for the million. I figured it was as good as gone anyways. I am still enjoying the game. Its a good filler till NCAA 11 Football comes out.
This

# 34 Alai @ 05/07/10 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenDouglas
maybe scam is the wrong word. In this sort of setting, waiting 2 months seems just flat out unethical.
They didn't know. In the rules section they definitely mention that all the submissions are gathered and waited on, then open them up on the first of May, then went through the videos one by one sorted by receiving date. They made sure to do this from the beginning so people won't be able to say crap. Very prepared indeed.

# 35 Pared @ 05/07/10 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenDouglas
maybe scam is the wrong word. In this sort of setting, waiting 2 months seems just flat out unethical. but then again I guess its up to the consumer to realize a winner has already had it won by that first week and that your chances of winning anything from week 2 to week 8 is likely sitting around zero.
C'mon RD... there were people HERE saying that this was impossible, the game was rigged so you could never do this, the fact that you had to record while turning on the game system was ludicrous...

It's like all of you are contradicting yourselves at this point.

It was a contest to generate interest in an average baseball game. And it did its job.

Are we that bitter here that we must complain about every little thing that happens in the game industry?

# 36 DJ @ 05/07/10 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
C'mon RD... there were people HERE saying that this was impossible, the game was rigged so you could never do this, the fact that you had to record while turning on the game system was ludicrous...

It's like all of you are contradicting yourselves at this point.

It was a contest to generate interest in an average baseball game. And it did its job.

Are we that bitter here that we must complain about every little thing that happens in the game industry?
I think you can answer your own question, Pared. It's sad, but that's the way society is trending these days.

# 37 Pared @ 05/07/10 10:31 AM
The internet is burning me out, man. lol

# 38 Pared @ 05/07/10 11:08 AM
That's great!

# 39 JkA3 @ 05/08/10 12:07 PM
nice. can't beat that.

# 40 bhailey7751 @ 05/08/10 11:29 PM
Wish they had had this contest about five years ago. I managed to pitch a perfect game with Andy Pettite and the Houston Astros. When I was in college I played this game all the time with my roommate. He batted and I pitched so I had tons of chances. It definitely didn't happen the first night I got it. Major props to this guy. Its been forever since I've even thought about pitching a perfect game. I play The Show now and this article has me pumped just thinking about it the chance. Congrats to this guy!

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.