Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Way back in late April some of our keen readers noticed Gus Johnson would probably make his way into Madden NFL 11.

Today, Kotaku has confirmed Gus Johnson has the play-by-play gig.

Quote:
"Today, Johnson, the exciting and excitable CBS sportscaster, officially became the fourth play-by-play man to hold sports gaming's top booth job. Teased at the end of this video a month ago, Johnson's hiring is hardly a shocker, and neither are EA Sports' reasons for grabbing him. After nearly 20 years of often sedate, always straightforward calls by the likes of Pat Summerall and Al Michaels, Madden badly needed the kind of high-five-yourself enthusiasm Johnson imposes on a game."

You can also check out the newest video with Gus Johnson and Kotaku's Owen Good featured in Madden NFL 11 here.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 roadman @ 05/21/10 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
So you think that all of those large gameplay elements are going to be different in an upcoming build? You do realize that they are approaching code freeze soon, right? The problems I mentioned are ancient and they are still not fixed.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Hasn't happened with Madden in a long long time. I'll gladly eat crow...
They also program and tune till the game ships.

# 42 Joborule @ 05/21/10 02:17 PM
If the play by play could ever hear like that in the near future for Madden, I would...

# 43 daniverson1973 @ 05/21/10 03:19 PM
man i cant wait for this!!!
its about time we get some energy pumped into the play-by-play!!!

i think i may actually get madden this year at midnight

# 44 adub88 @ 05/21/10 03:21 PM
Sorry to get a little off-topic but the game still looks herky jerky robotic. I thought locomotion was supposed to make it look more "organic" EA. Take a look at that pass into the flat. It wasn't pretty not bit looking at the player gather himself to get up field.

# 45 CardsFan52 @ 05/21/10 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniverson1973
man i cant wait for this!!!
its about time we get some energy pumped into the play-by-play!!!

i think i may actually get madden this year at midnight
My sentiments exactly, Did anyone notice how the O line reacted during the play where Alex smith got sacked? It actually looked like they were aware of the D lineman positions I like.

# 46 CardsFan52 @ 05/21/10 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adub88
Sorry to get a little off-topic but the game still looks herky jerky robotic. I thought locomotion was supposed to make it look more "organic" EA. Take a look at that pass into the flat. It wasn't pretty not bit looking at the player gather himself to get up field.
This video was pre-alpha so I wouldn't look too much into it. Hopefully they tune those things and get them straight before release.

# 47 cowboy_kmoney @ 05/21/10 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan52
This video was pre-alpha so I wouldn't look too much into it. Hopefully they tune those things and get them straight before release.
Im like you bro I feel as they have fixed all those little things we see so Im ready for some football.

# 48 PlatooN @ 05/21/10 03:34 PM
the backbreaker demo was released so EA had to drop some good news in a hurry!!

# 49 Behindshadows @ 05/21/10 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falzon
the backbreaker demo was released so EA had to drop some good news in a hurry!!
Enough of this backbreaker garbage...Shut up already!!!

Everytime they release some new info of Madden, you guys come in here with your backbreaker comments and your stupid 2k comparisons.....Damn give it a rest, you've hijacked almost every thread made in this forum.

Commentary, even if staged and alpha.

# 50 CardsFan52 @ 05/21/10 03:53 PM
I'll try out the BB demo demo but ^^^^ he is right enough is enough I think its about time we stop comparing the two of these games due to the fact they are very much different and trying to accomplish different things.

# 51 PGaither84 @ 05/21/10 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
Enough of this backbreaker garbage...Shut up already!!!

Everytime they release some new info of Madden, you guys come in here with your backbreaker comments and your stupid 2k comparisons.....Damn give it a rest, you've hijacked almost every thread made in this forum.

Commentary, even if staged and alpha.
Madden is still having a hard time getting it's own presentation to work correctly. It has a long way to go before it ever hopes to be measured against 2k5. I bought NBA 2k10 just prior to the playoffs, and what the 2k team has done in 5 years is put ESPN 2k5 to shame. It isn't even fair to compare the two, because there is no comparison.

I really like the adition of Gus Johnson. I wish I could comment more on presentation, however Gus Johnson is great for this game.

# 52 HealyMonster @ 05/21/10 05:23 PM
1 hting that disturbs me a bit is how they have a whole audio thing set up but why not at least show a 20-30 second in game clip of this new audio implemented or something?

I know in one video you can hear the vikings thing and the jets thing, but why no gus johnson, in game example? A bit weird. Its like having a developer diary about new helmets and not showing a pick of them or something.

# 53 HealyMonster @ 05/21/10 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madchuck4
Listen to it again. That IS in-game audio. That's why it sounds jerky at places. I watched it again and it is awesome. He is not in the booth with Gus Johnson because they are not talking with each other. It is edited to sound like they are in the booth together. If that is in game audio then it sounds amazing. It is as good as MLB The Show. Guys stop complaining, this is absolutely awesome. Plus I saw pro-tak in the video, which menas its still in the game. GO EA!!!!!!!!
Nope, its not in game. Its them watching madden calling it like a real game. Having fun.

# 54 Captain Obvious @ 05/21/10 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
Nope, its not in game. Its them watching madden calling it like a real game. Having fun.
this, you can tell when rob makes a stupid joke and gus tries to hide his laughter.

# 55 TracerBullet @ 05/21/10 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
this, you can tell when rob makes a stupid joke and gus tries to hide his laughter.

# 56 adembroski @ 05/21/10 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madchuck4
Listen to it again. That IS in-game audio. That's why it sounds jerky at places. I watched it again and it is awesome. He is not in the booth with Gus Johnson because they are not talking with each other. It is edited to sound like they are in the booth together. If that is in game audio then it sounds amazing. It is as good as MLB The Show. Guys stop complaining, this is absolutely awesome. Plus I saw pro-tak in the video, which menas its still in the game. GO EA!!!!!!!!
That is not in-game audio, and if it is they would have done as much damage by adding a gaming journalist as a color guy as they did good by hiring Gus Johnson.

And MLB 10: The Show's commentary isn't that good.

# 57 TracerBullet @ 05/21/10 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
That is not in-game audio, and if it is they would have done as much damage by adding a gaming journalist as a color guy as they did good by hiring Gus Johnson.

And MLB 10: The Show's commentary isn't that good.
I remember before I got my PS3 how people were saying it was great and possibly the best out there. The game is great but commentary is a weak spot to me. So I'm hoping that Madden will be better than it.

# 58 adembroski @ 05/21/10 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators253
I remember before I got my PS3 how people were saying it was great and possibly the best out there. The game is great but commentary is a weak spot to me. So I'm hoping that Madden will be better than it.
Exactly right... outstanding game, "serviceable" announcing.

Thankfully with the Sounds of the Show feature, I can just shut the commentary off and enjoy the ambiance of the stadium.

# 59 rckabillyRaider @ 05/21/10 10:01 PM
Gus sounds much better doing Madden than he did doing NCAA basketball and all his corny lines. Regardless, I would prefer him over the droid Hammond.

# 60 zav @ 05/22/10 12:07 AM
how hard is it for them to get more than one commentator team so it can be truly unique. The other guy is awful Johnson is good but the Commentary seems to give away the plays he said TOUCHDOWN about 5 seconds before the catch

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.