Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

Gamespot has posted an interview with David Littman, Creative Director for NBA Elite 11.

Quote:
Gamespot: "There's a new shooting mechanic too, one that sounds a bit like the skill stick in the NHL series. How will it work?"

David Littman: "In real life, shooting is skill based. Players practice every day to become better shooters. In basketball video games, shooting has not had much skill attached. Sure there is some skill to get it to your best shooter who is open for a shot, but that is more strategy than skill. Once a player shoots in almost every basketball game ever made, it is up to player attributes, how open he is, an under-the-hood formula, and a tiny bit of when you release the button to determine if the shot will go in. I do not feel very satisfied when I make a shot in basketball games. With the new shooting mechanic, it is all skill based, but at the same time it users player attributes. If you have played Tiger Woods golf, you have an idea of what the shooting mechanic is.

The shot is based on real life. You move the right stick up to start your shot and release it to release the ball. You have control of the accuracy and the distance. If you move the RS perfectly up to 12:00, your shot will go straight. If you miss left, the ball will go left. Miss it right, and the ball will go right. When you release the ball will control the distance. Release early, and the shot will be short. Release late, and the shot will be long. The system is so realistic that you can do manual bank shots by purposely aiming left or right and a bit long."

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 23 @ 06/03/10 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
The art was not worked on as of the time of these photos.

The game looks much better than this.

Thats what I've been saying, its still so early

# 62 Jukeman @ 06/03/10 12:55 PM
Quote:
These new systems are not gimmicks. They are being implemented because they will help make this the most realistic basketball simulation ever made.
Please back this up ..

# 63 Jukeman @ 06/03/10 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
Interesting.

A new innovative take.
But, it begs the question..Mike Wang left EA because he didnt like the direction it was headed? This seems lik a decent implementation for a hoops game, wonder what he saw that gave him the old red flag?
Maybe it wasnt "sim" enough for him...

FNR4
FiFA
NHL
Tiger

All pretty good games but hardy the most realistic..

# 64 TheKasmar @ 06/03/10 01:42 PM
I'm excited for something new in basketball gaming and definitely less canned animations. I'm so tired of the canned nonsense.

# 65 yanks26ngoin @ 06/03/10 03:04 PM
Quick question, is the game going to have the option to go back to the classic controls? Because the new controls sound like something that the Wii was made for.

Oh and, I really think EA dropped the ball on the name change. NBA Live has been a household name in sports gaming for a while now along with Madden. Alot of the sales of the series came because of the household name that NBA Live was. Changing the name of the game to NBA Elite(which does not flow well or go together at all, IMO) might prove to be a big mistake.

# 66 dexvex @ 06/03/10 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks26ngoin
Quick question, is the game going to have the option to go back to the classic controls? Because the new controls sound like something that the Wii was made for.

Oh and, I really think EA dropped the ball on the name change. NBA Live has been a household name in sports gaming for a while now along with Madden. Alot of the sales of the series came because of the household name that NBA Live was. Changing the name of the game to NBA Elite(which does not flow well or go together at all, IMO) might prove to be a big mistake.
yes you can play with classic controls. As far as the name change I agree its a horrible name but they had to change it. The game was better last year and sold alot worse.

# 67 Pared @ 06/03/10 03:22 PM
Quote:
Yes. But just like other games I would not expect you to have the same level of control. It's just not possible.

You want advance control, use the advanced functionality that a 360 degree stick can offer you and catch up to speed with the rest of the gaming industry.

Quote:
How many sales were lost because of the name NBA Live? That argument is just as valid.

# 68 bigball12 @ 06/03/10 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
yes, these graphics are not reflective of what we saw during our time there.
Phew!

# 69 b2tha2ndpwr @ 06/03/10 04:19 PM
Quote:
I think the name change is a good idea. Although Live 10 was an improvement, the game sold worse. The name sort of gives the team a fresh start. Any baseball game fans remember how bad Triple Play had gotten? And remember how great MVP Baseball became?

I would have gone with "NBA 11 - Game Time" then as the brand gets popular it can be known as Game Time 11, Game Time 12... like Madden lol

Remember playing in HS/AAU/Club etc. What was everyone's huddle break before the game, "WHAT TIME IS IT? GAME TIME!!!" lol

# 70 Tiko7523 @ 06/03/10 05:05 PM
Quote:
The art was not worked on as of the time of these photos.

The game looks much better than this.
yeah it better look better then this because these screen shots seem like a WII/ PSP game

not really impressed at all so far.... rather have no screen shots then these ( if it does look better) because its a turn off

# 71 yanks26ngoin @ 06/03/10 06:48 PM
Quote:
Yes. But just like other games I would not expect you to have the same level of control. It's just not possible.

You want advance control, use the advanced functionality that a 360 degree stick can offer you and catch up to speed with the rest of the gaming industry.
Well, I would argue that the "rest of the industry" really actually isnt going toward swing stick controls just yet, except for baseball(well the MLB 2k series, I am not sure about the show). And I am using the advanced controls in the 2k series, but I did not use them right away(took me until last year to use them, since the pitching stick was just horribly done.

# 72 i c u cant stop me @ 06/04/10 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Are those Elite pics (Magic/Bucks)?

Looks an awful like Live 10. I don't see anything that states they're from Elite.
but that is the old amway arena that the magic dont play in anymore after this season. they moving into the new amway center starting this season. you would think if it was "elite 11" pics that it would be in the new arena...

# 73 jordankobewade7 @ 06/04/10 03:16 AM
I hope they're adding a bunch of new animations with all these offensive options bcuz that's the key,its nice to control everything yes,but the animations give the variety of ways to finish.and hopefully they're all sig based as well...they need to do like 2k did last yr and go bananas with the animations like 2k did last yr and add in like 10000 or so,so that when we execute these moves we won't be seeing the same options,and so that options will vary from player to player on a skill vs skill level and bigs vs guards level.
Also,I admit this is great great news if it translates as intended.HOWEVER,if they don't fix the crap dynasty mode then they won't mean a thing,I don't know about you guys,but I don't wana wait another yr for them to fix the dynasty mode,and catch up with 2k with the d-league integration,custom dc,summer league(although its not in association (yet) ),and thise horrible rookies! I have never seen so many red heads and black guys with mullets its crazy,and can you edit them?of course not....I'm sorry for going on a bit of a rant guys but its frustrating to see them leaving the dynasty,the meat and potatoes for a lot of us,in the cellar,on the same shelf as some aging fine wine...all this other stuff is great,maybe even revolutionary,but the dynasty needs love too...please EA,get to it this yr...

# 74 Pared @ 06/04/10 09:26 AM
Quote:
Well, I would argue that the "rest of the industry" really actually isnt going toward swing stick controls just yet, except for baseball(well the MLB 2k series, I am not sure about the show). And I am using the advanced controls in the 2k series, but I did not use them right away(took me until last year to use them, since the pitching stick was just horribly done.
NHL - full analog control
Backbreaker - Again, full analog control
FIFA - I'd expect shooting to make an appearance similar to NHL and NBA now
Boxing - Full analog control

I'd take you up on your argument because those are four examples that I just thought of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more. Hell, you brought up baseball.

# 75 J_Posse @ 06/04/10 11:14 AM
Quote:
When you look at the Metacritic scores, however, neither NBA Live or NBA 2K has been anywhere near FIFA, NHL, MLB The Show, or Fight Night. As a matter of fact, neither game has broken the 85 Metacritic barrier this generation. I believe this is because the basketball category has not had any significant gameplay innovations during this console cycle.......

I [recently] watched a video on YouTube by a guy (I think his name is apexisfree) showing the scenario-based one-on-ones in our competition's game, where you actually lose control of your user-controlled defender in order for the offensive player to get around you. None of these things happen in NBA Elite 11, because it is using a real-time physics system......

I think that both basketball games were concentrating so much on beating each other that they forgot about the gamers. We are in this business to make great games, not to get involved in public bickering. It might be one of the reasons that basketball games have been left behind in this generation. Metacritic numbers are lower than other sports. The gamers and the reviewers have spoken with their words and their wallets. That ends this year with NBA Elite 11. The first thing I said when I came onto NBA was that we are fighting the wrong battle. We need to be comparing ourselves to FIFA, NHL, and MLB The Show.
I thought that it was a very good Q&A session and he answered many important questions. I even think that these are (mostly) necessary moves that need to be made for basketball video games to make the next evolutionary step. The only problem I had was with all his veiled jabs at VC/2K and their title. It's nice that he wants to compete with other elite sports titles (The Show, FIFA and NHL), but trying to downplay NBA 2K's dominance in the market doesn't do anything. I understand that with the NHL series his team was able to improve and upstage the competition rather quickly, but that conceded with there being a console jump. He doesn't have the benefit of having superior tech helping this series improve over last gen/the competition's title. They've got to prove that they can now really compete with VC and then make a title that competes with the "elites." Some of his hyperbole in the article is just ridiculous as well.

# 76 NINJAK2 @ 06/04/10 02:20 PM
This game is 5 months away so I can't see how anyone can be too harsh on the screenshots as this game is no where close to final. Like what I've read so far though.

# 77 inkpimp007 @ 06/04/10 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
The big question I have after reading that is why Mike Wang would leave. Why was he so against this new direction? Because more non-bball people were being involved and the series wasn't going to have a dedicated team anymore?

Also, is DNA finally gone? I hope it is, certainly sounds like it is.
That is a good question about Mike Wang. I'm guessing this direction is not a new concept, this is where all of EA's sports title were going i'm guessing. I think it's a pretty agressive and forward thinking approach to solving some serious problems in sports gaming. Maybe to many people having gotten to accustom of thinking of Mike as THE basketball God. Maybe even Mike wasn't thinking outside the box.

# 78 jfsolo @ 06/04/10 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512
I thought that it was a very good Q&A session and he answered many important questions. I even think that these are (mostly) necessary moves that need to be made for basketball video games to make the next evolutionary step. The only problem I had was with all his veiled jabs at VC/2K and their title. It's nice that he wants to compete with other elite sports titles (The Show, FIFA and NHL), but trying to downplay NBA 2K's dominance in the market doesn't do anything. I understand that with the NHL series his team was able to improve and upstage the competition rather quickly, but that conceded with there being a console jump. He doesn't have the benefit of having superior tech helping this series improve over last gen/the competition's title. They've got to prove that they can now really compete with VC and then make a title that competes with the "elites." Some of his hyperbole in the article is just ridiculous as well.
I never begrudge exaggeration by a developer , because I feel that its the duty of the consumer to see through the hype and make an informed decision.

The Elite teams members should throw out terms like "stale", "tired", "engine", "canned", "skill based", "User controlled" over and over again. A lot of people here are susceptible to certain buzz words.

# 79 SportsCenter23 @ 06/04/10 04:07 PM
Like every one else said the screenshots are early, but they need ALOT of work. Those faces are horrible looking.

# 80 robinsnestkc @ 06/04/10 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I would like to know if things are sig based or are you pulling off the same moves with Dwight as you are with Bynum
I am with you on this. If they still don't have sig for most of the ball players I will not buy this.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.