Home
NCAA Football 11 News Post

Ben Haumiller has just posted another NCAA Football 11 blog, as he discusses play calling.

Quote:
"The most important screen in the game without a doubt is the play call screen. This is where you need to make quick strategic decisions. It is of the utmost importance that everything is available to you quickly and easily; especially when going up against an up tempo, no-huddle offense.

With that in mind we determined that the play call screen needed to be streamlined for NCAA Football 11. A lot of the Play Call features I'll be talking about have been in previous versions of the game, our goal wasn't to blow everything up and start from scratch, however, we wanted to make it feel as if all of your playbook options were always at your fingertips. In this blog, we will go into those updates as well as talk about the crucial role the NCAA community members had in shaping the final version of the screen.

During our NCAA Football 11 Community Day event we brought in a number of hardcore NCAA players to check out this year's game early in the development process and collect their feedback. Since play call is so important we spent a lot of time going over this screen to make sure that we got it just right. The feedback we received was outstanding. When it was all said and done we were very happy with the results. A big shout out to the community members who helped shape play call into its final version - this was a prime example of how getting the community involved early and often can help make the game the best it can be. I'll point out some of the specific updates that were made based on this feedback as I go into how play call will look and function in NCAA Football 11."

Game: NCAA Football 11Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 83 - View All
NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Arkavian @ 06/15/10 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieB
Please don't call me horrible names
Horrible Names!!

There I called you that

# 22 cbc72 @ 06/15/10 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkavian
I don't know who gave them the feedback on the play calling screens, but their judgment should be questioned... As many others have stated the new play call screen is garbage.

The old style was fine, heck even perfect IMO. The one thing that did NOT need to be messed with and they hacked it to pieces.

Exactly the word I was going to use to describe the new play calling system. Garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayshime
Agreed. Why mess with something you've already got right.
Doesn't EA have a record of breaking things that worked fine?

I seem to remember this happening in the past.

"Catching worked fine, how did you change it to break it?"

"Fatigue worked fine, how did you change it to break it?"

"Player progression worked fine, how did you change it to break it?"

etc...

# 23 Palo20 @ 06/15/10 05:12 PM
You can put me in the group that doesn't like the new playcalling.

I do actually like being able to easily scroll to another formation, but I HATE scrolling left and right to find a play.

This can't be the best way they came up with??

# 24 Palo20 @ 06/15/10 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
i noticed Clemson has the Flea Flicker in their playbook in the demo
Florida has an End Around and a Play Action off it in the I Form.

Good to see

# 25 woodjer @ 06/16/10 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieB
As a strictly "Ask Corso/Madden" player, I must say that I'm loving the new default playcalling screen. I need to dig around with it some more to see if I can still easily access formation subs without accessing Advanced. If not, then that needs to be fixed.
I haven't tried the demo yet but if it works as much like the Madden '10 playcalling system as it looks, you're not gonna be happy. I do a lot of Ask Corso for the same reasons that you do. In Madden, you couldn't change packages from Ask Madden. What was worse is that you couldn't even go to the By Formation screen, change the package, and then go back to Ask Madden...it resets it to the default every time.

# 26 blazer003 @ 06/16/10 02:55 PM
I don't know how many others did this, but I always used the various bluff buttons to call plays last year. The play calling screen is one thing that did NOT need to be touched. This new view is just terrible. So limited. Especially with the whole focus on 120 ways to win and updated playbooks, you get to see so little of each playbook because it takes 5-10 seconds to scroll over all the way through the longer playbooks (if you're analyzing the plays as you go).

It's just dumb, dumb, dumb. I can't think of one good reason to do it this way. Can you?

# 27 tigerfan2 @ 06/16/10 04:06 PM
You'll get used to it.

It doesn't really bother me.

# 28 GoToledo @ 06/16/10 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
You can put me in the group that doesn't like the new playcalling.

I do actually like being able to easily scroll to another formation, but I HATE scrolling left and right to find a play.

This can't be the best way they came up with??
This is exactly how I feel.

# 29 antdawg9 @ 06/16/10 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcboiler87
I really don't like the new play calling screen. I liked how it was before. I don't want to have to go into "Bluff" mode in order to "bluff" my opponent. Just keep it how it was. I don't understand why they have to change stuff that wasn't an issue.

Also, no huddle in the demo was a joke. Missouri ran it, but only when convenient (not true, they always are no huddle). Also, it was incredibly fast. They would have worn out their players like heck trying to go at the pace the game had them going. No huddle doesn't necessarily mean super fast paced!! Plus, they weren't even looking to the sidelines for plays or anything. I hope this was just in the demo or else the whole no huddle offensive scheme will be a joke.
I agree 100% with everything you said.

# 30 Barkley7 @ 06/16/10 07:41 PM
Liked how they finally added the read option in Nevada's PB. I don't know why people don't like the new playbooks, sure most of the boring plays are in pretty much every teams playbook but the new ones blow me away.

# 31 4solo @ 06/16/10 07:47 PM
I just wish they would have a way that i can stay in Bluff mode all the time without having to hold a button. Other than that its cool and has a lot functionality.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.