Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

Kotaku has posted their eyes on impressions of NBA 2K11.

Quote:
"When you see it and you do it, it just feels natural," said producer Rob Jones. "There's more gesturing, and less of straight commands."

Jones was pretty direct that the game had not "scrapped" iso-motion, but did acknowledge that player control was going to behave in a different way. They just didn't say how. Jones did say the right analog will remain the game's Shot Stick, a control introduced way back in NBA 2K6. That does not necessarily exclude putting dribble controls on the right analog, as we see in NBA Elite. 2K will be very sensitive to insinuations it's mimicking that control set, especially considering the return of Mike Wang, who spent a year up in Canada working on NBA Live.

Aspirationally, they want to go for a total-body-control system that NBA Elite also is implementing. Jones explained it to me with an example: Moving across the lane on the run, parallel to the baseline, if you push up a shot, what would you expect to see in real life? A runner, with the shooter's arm out 90 degrees from his body. In NBA 2K10, he'd stop on a dime and pop the shot or, if he was close enough, move into an unnatural layup animation."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 PantherBeast_OS @ 06/24/10 05:35 PM
Nice read. I ain't really touch NBA 2k since 2k7. I'm hoping this will be the year I get a newer version of it. But good read.

# 42 NINJAK2 @ 06/24/10 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldfan
You stated that they already were "planning" to re-work the dribbling before Wang jumped ship.

Nothing happens in Wang's absence.

Wang comes back to 2k sports after spending a year or so with "the competition" and NOW they're ready to make changes.

There's nothing wrong with that. It would be foolish not to take something you see as positive from the competition, and try to somehow incorporate it into your own product. It is also foolish to believe that everything Wang saw at EA wasn't shared with the 2k crew.

As Phil Jackson would say "Give them(the competition) some (expletive) credit."

Mods: Sorry in advance. I will stay on topic from now on.
There is nothing wrong with that BNGF. I'm just saying I know that they didn't just decide to redesign their dribbling system when Wang signed on or after Elite announced their intentions. They were already looking at potentially addressing their dribbling system immediately after they finished development of 2k10 as that is eluded to in an article I posted at OS some time ago. This was in the EARLY development cycle for 2k11.

When a teacher asks a question where only one student raises their hand to respond , that doesn't automatically mean the rest of the class doesn't know the answer. You are assuming just because Elite responded in public 1st that 2k is simply copying or reacting. I don't think that is the case.

Mean you know disrespect.

# 43 NINJAK2 @ 06/24/10 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moefooljoe
At least 2k's "LESSER" version actually has an effect on gameplay unlike nba lives dna bs.
^^^This is true imo but I wouldn't call DNA bs just don't think it works as well as it could.

# 44 jmood88 @ 06/24/10 06:59 PM
I love how the same thing happens on this forum every single year.

# 45 jmood88 @ 06/24/10 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
You know how it is B. Its exactly the same EVERY YEAR. "2K is hiding their game", "VC hasn't changed anything" "Stale, engine, tired, wash, rinse repeat."
"I've been a 2k fan for years but I'm about to switch to the other side now since they're actually talking about their game", then October comes around and they only play the newest NBA 2k.

# 46 youvalss @ 06/24/10 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
Never said that 2K isn't capable. I think EA's somewhat revamped 1:1 controls puts pressure on 2K to come up with something just like when DNA came out, 2K suddenly comes up with their own, lesser version of it which looked like something they scrambled to put together to match EA's new feature.
Yeah, 2K is known for being a lesser. Less gimmicks and crap, unlike...

# 47 TreyIM2 @ 06/25/10 12:35 AM
23, where ya at? U get at me for taking things off topic but people are dissecting what I said, even taking it out of context but...
Be fair, bruh.

# 48 SacKings1999 @ 06/25/10 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKasmar
I'm interested in seeing how momentum will play out when it comes to shooting with the RS. The real problem that 2k has to overcome is the erratic movement. Fancy animations only make up for so much. If they can implement some decent control then their signature style, animations, and MJ(hopefully among other legends and teams) will keep them on top.
Agreed. If 2k11 offers even a small improvement in movement over 2k10, than to me, 2k will be on top for another year. And maybe I believe hype too easily, but I really think that with Jordan on the cover we can expect great things this year.

# 49 elprez98 @ 06/25/10 10:31 AM
Quote:
Moving across the lane on the run, parallel to the baseline, if you push up a shot, what would you expect to see in real life? A runner, with the shooter's arm out 90 degrees from his body. In NBA 2K10, he'd stop on a dime and pop the shot or, if he was close enough, move into an unnatural layup animation."
Very encouraging.

# 50 Thielkesp18 @ 06/28/10 04:01 PM
If your a 2K fan then you would be happy if NBA Elite is a great game, 2K needs competition to continue to make good games, madden only proves this. Whats wrong with having two good basketball games to choose from?

# 51 crazybandit2000 @ 06/28/10 05:47 PM
im srry but this "new dribbling system" just seems to me like another "gimmick" thats been focused on sooooo much that the rest of the game suffers from it. i swear this happens almost every year. (hotspots? go2move? the 1st yr dribbling moved to the right thumbstick?)

i'll stick with 2k, they obviously have alot of things up there sleeve especially presentation wise. at the end of the day the little things really make the experience much more entertaining... because the uniqueness of players is far more advanced than the other game(from signature shots to layup packages) while live is adding, 2k is refining..

were dealing with the MILF vs the Hollywood Blonde with a ton of plastic surgeries

# 52 Kaanyr Vhok @ 06/29/10 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldfan
You stated that they already were "planning" to re-work the dribbling before Wang jumped ship.

Someone from Visual Concepts stated this right after 2k10 shipped. It was on this site.

# 53 23 @ 06/29/10 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thielkesp18
If your a 2K fan then you would be happy if NBA Elite is a great game, 2K needs competition to continue to make good games, madden only proves this. Whats wrong with having two good basketball games to choose from?
Its crazy that its down to only two games when we used to have a bunch of basketball games out there both nba and college.. Wow how times change

# 54 ParisB @ 06/29/10 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
You know how it is B. Its exactly the same EVERY YEAR. "2K is hiding their game", "VC hasn't changed anything" "Stale, engine, tired, wash, rinse repeat."

well it's basically true, lol

hopefully this is the year they improve their game..we'll know when the demo hits.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.