NBA Elite 11 News Post

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 bigeastbumrush @ 06/30/10 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
The way it used to work was that ratings, situation on the court and timing would determine the probability that a shot would go in. A random number would then be chosen, and based on the probability the shot would either go in or miss.
That's one of the worst things I ever heard. I wish I didn't know that.

# 62 Rocboyz101 @ 07/01/10 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
That's one of the worst things I ever heard. I wish I didn't know that.
Yeah Im lookin at my current bball game like now..lol I wonder if both gms do that.

# 63 ParisB @ 07/01/10 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
oh boy...i can smell cheese coming on with this game. I can foresee people perfecting the timing and hitting 95 percent of their shots even if i'm in their face contesting every shot...this whole system seems flawed and primed for cheese abuse. I like that you can determine the shot success with your skill, but if a defender is in your face contesting you closely, you shouldn't even have a chance to make it.
it's actually revolutionary and the best thing that can happen for a video game of basketball...pretty realistic the way the scheme will work

# 64 Rocboyz101 @ 07/01/10 01:35 AM
I don't really see how this can be cheesy..Its kinda hard to go straight up on the stick everytime, plus you still have to time it with the power IIRC which means you still have to know the form and when to release. Then when you factor in that a contest lowers your chances aswell, looks like an almost perfect system.

# 65 jgraham9891 @ 07/01/10 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
I feel it should be reversed.
High Power early release, and Low power late release.
YES, reanimator what do you think about this...

# 66 bigeastbumrush @ 07/01/10 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocboyz101
Yeah Im lookin at my current bball game like now..lol I wonder if both gms do that.
Yeah...I appreciate his honesty and all.

But it never dawned on me that's how the games played out.

You seriously mean that the success of my last second jumper was basically some programmed algorithm calculation?

Hurts man...just hurts.

# 67 rkonyx @ 07/01/10 08:49 AM
so if im open and i time it right every time i will never miss. does not sound smart. i can juss rin with melo to his biggest mid range sweet spot master the timeing and make the shot 95 percent of the time

# 68 ParisB @ 07/01/10 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Yeah...I appreciate his honesty and all.

But it never dawned on me that's how the games played out.

You seriously mean that the success of my last second jumper was basically some programmed algorithm calculation?

Hurts man...just hurts.
umm, of course it'a a calculation. It's pretty obvious and also video game programming 101. Every game does it that way.

it doesn't affect anything in terms of basketball....get high percentage shots for good shooters on the spot they're comfortable. That's pretty realistic.

# 69 The 24th Letter @ 07/01/10 11:49 AM
that statement doesnt suprise me at all....ESPECIALLY about Live 10....actually makes everything so much clearer...

# 70 Rocboyz101 @ 07/01/10 01:00 PM
I can definitely tell in Live 10, especially when you play something like live run when you can tell when your finally gonna make a 3 because you missed a few earlier. If this explains my cold streaks in 2k10, then...smh. lol

# 71 Da_Czar @ 07/01/10 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocboyz101
I can definitely tell in Live 10, especially when you play something like live run when you can tell when your finally gonna make a 3 because you missed a few earlier. If this explains my cold streaks in 2k10, then...smh. lol
These games both implement this differently. I would be hesitant to lump one in with the other. Lives shooting heuristics have always been much much much more simplified than 2k's. One statement by one company especially a competitor should not be directly translated into another one unless you are absolutely certain about how its implemented.

Live 10's shot calculations are in no way comparable to the complex calculations in 2k IMHO.

# 72 Drocks @ 07/01/10 04:19 PM
Quote:
I'm gonna have to agree with this. I love everything about the controls, EXCEPT this. I mean, obviously in reality as was stated, it'd be deeper than this, but if we're choosing, I'd rather have it this way.

It's been said, but when you're going up for a shot, your momentum and strength are stronger going up, then when your momentum is taking you back to the ground and then you try to release. I think naturally it just makes more sense that way.

Plus, I think it'll look better on the game animation-wise. Those banks shots with the guy coming up from the ground with an earlier release would look better than the coming back down look it had there.

Just my opinion, I think it'll work either way really, but personally just think the opposite might be better. I mean, the point is either way I can control it, which I really like, so I'll be cool with either.

# 73 SacKings1999 @ 07/01/10 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
oh boy...i can smell cheese coming on with this game. I can foresee people perfecting the timing and hitting 95 percent of their shots even if i'm in their face contesting every shot...this whole system seems flawed and primed for cheese abuse. I like that you can determine the shot success with your skill, but if a defender is in your face contesting you closely, you shouldn't even have a chance to make it.
While I hate cheese as much as the next guy... You need to stop and think about what you're saying first.

If EA makes the sweet spot small enough / difficult enough, than if some guys "perfect the timing"- more power to them, they deserve to hit a high %. The key word being "perfect." Hopefully it's difficult enough that no one can completely "perfect" it.

But I definitely understand what you're saying if we're basing our understanding of bball games off of previous titles... for example, it's not that hard to get a perfect release in Live 10 / 2k10, so from that angle, we could be in trouble. But I'm really hoping Elite 11 is different- I think it has to be, they're not going to release a game with 95% FGs.

And when you said "if someone is in your face and your shot is contested, you shouldn't even have a chance to make it" ... that is just horrible haha. Why? Go tell that logic to MJ or Bird or Kobe and see what they say .

# 74 Vast @ 07/01/10 04:20 PM
Quote:
ReAnimator what do you think about this?

Its a basketball game, so the argument to hold it for more power (because thats how it is in other different non basketball games like bowling) is pretty weak.

I think the approach should be in a basketball universe what would make the most sense and give me the closest feeling to shooting a real basketball.

You guys nailed it with the shot stick accuracy, but as it stands now the power meter is the opposite of what it should be to replicate the feeling of shooting a real basketball, and what happens when you hold a jumpshot for too long.

When i release a shot too soon in real life, its usually too much legs probably not enough arc so it goes further.

When i release a shot too late i'm coming down, i no longer have the benefit of my legs to give the shot strength and it becomes all arms at that point, so the ball travels less distance.

# 75 Rocboyz101 @ 07/01/10 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
These games both implement this differently. I would be hesitant to lump one in with the other. Lives shooting heuristics have always been much much much more simplified than 2k's. One statement by one company especially a competitor should not be directly translated into another one unless you are absolutely certain about how its implemented.

Live 10's shot calculations are in no way comparable to the complex calculations in 2k IMHO.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure 2ks way of going about this is a lot more complex, but still..I'm pretty sure they have some form of this. It seriously explains a lot of the wtf moments in the game..in someways its good so you don't make EVERY open shot, but it can be pretty annoying missing shots you know you should have made. But then again, I could be completely wrong and 2k could be using something different.

# 76 ParisB @ 07/01/10 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar

How is it more complex? It basically works the same way. Takes the attributes, motion, defenders etc. into consideration

A dice roll is a dice roll

# 77 The 24th Letter @ 07/01/10 10:14 PM
Your post explains it in itself.....when your taking all those things you mentioned into consideration, its not much of a "dice roll"....honestly I dont think even all those factors above went into the jumpers from Live 10...I think thats what Czar means...

# 78 bigeastbumrush @ 07/01/10 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
umm, of course it'a a calculation. It's pretty obvious and also video game programming 101. Every game does it that way.

it doesn't affect anything in terms of basketball....get high percentage shots for good shooters on the spot they're comfortable. That's pretty realistic.
I understand...but I just didn't want to know it's true.

# 79 stizz @ 07/01/10 11:09 PM
Just wondering, for those of you that are shocked that the game calculated whether the shot when in or not using a formula, how did you think it determined the shot success?

# 80 strawberryshortcake @ 07/02/10 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham9891
reanimator, the bank shot shooting animation looks awkward. I feel like thats due to the shooting system. The shot is long when the player releases the ball later which is unrealistic, in actuality when you are coming down you lose power. Those bankshots look very unrealistic. What I am getting at is that in order to pull of a bank shot one should not have to release the ball later. It just doesnt make sense.

Also the game needs a whole lot of new animations, that goes for the net, dunks, layups, fadeaways. I know its a work in progress so we will see.
I agree with you on the shot power thing. We've had this discussion amongst the dev team about the power meter.

Basically, an early release in real life should result in a lower powered shot. A late release in real life should result in a lower powered shot.

However, people who play video games are trained to think of a power meter as just that. The longer you charge the power, the more power you'll get.

Unfortunately these two ideas conflict.

We've focus tested the two and for now the power meter remains as it is in the video. If you feel strongly about it one way or the other, voice your opinions, post a poll, make it known how you feel.

The game isn't done yet so it is possible to have an influence.

I cannot promise anything will change, but if you feel strongly about it you should make that known.

We are listening.

Hopefully strong consideration is taken to change the existing shot mechanics to reflect real world physics:

1. High Power early release, and Low power late release.- Vast
2. Example to consider: Full Court Shots.
3. should an early release result in a short or long shot?
( http://www.operationsports.com/forum...67-post23.html )

I would like to address the "conflict" mentioned above by rEAnimator.

There are a couple ways to look at 'powered meter' and the 'trained gamer' with respect to what NBA Elite will bring to the table.

Real Time Physics (RTP) is new to the series as is independent upper and lower body control mechanics. They will be new to gamers including trained veterans. EA is bringing something new to basketball gaming with "real time physics."

Current 'high powered late release' shot mechanic has an unrealistic old approach design. It may or may not work nicely in the world of canned animations, but it certainly would stray from real world physics and real time physics if ball trajectory upon release is in fact dictated by physics.

Rather than modifying real world physics to fit the trained gamer, and continuing to support the real-life versus video-game "conflict," and decrease simulation mechanics, let's change it up. Let's actually bring full fledged authentic simulation to EA Elite.

Unless team EA Elite is introducing a modified physics system, the existing shot release animation mechanic should be reconsidered to truly simulate realism.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.