Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

The Madden NFL 11 demo is available now for 360 and later today for the PS3. Please post your impressions here.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Hassan Darkside @ 07/27/10 11:41 AM
Oh, well I saw 2 or 3 fumbles in my game but fight for the fumble didn't trigger. Maybe it's just reduced this year. I'm not complaining.

# 162 xylocaine @ 07/27/10 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Ruff Ryder - Why do you say "No fight for fumble" because that is still in the game from the videos I've seen posted.
It is for sure in the game, but you have an option to turn it off

# 163 mrclutch @ 07/27/10 11:41 AM
The more I play the more the new kicking system is really bugging me. It's super easy But why the change? EVERY EA sports game has us using the sticks for almost everything yet the change kicking back to tapiing buttons. Makes no sense to me.

Also the play of the game selection is a total joke so far. In my games it hasn't even been a scoring play yet.

# 164 PantherBeast_OS @ 07/27/10 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triathlete_201
Has anyone gotten a user controlled sack?? When I let the cpu control my DL they get sacks every so often but if let's say I control Freeney, as soon as I get to the QB, he'll get rid of it every single time.
Yea that is the only problem I'm now having with this demo is not been able to get a sack of the AI before he throws the ball away. I really hope they fix this problem in a patch. But I also don't want them to over do it neither allow use to get a ton of sacks. They need to balance it out the best they can.

# 165 DGuinta1 @ 07/27/10 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triathlete_201
Has anyone gotten a user controlled sack?? When I let the cpu control my DL they get sacks every so often but if let's say I control Freeney, as soon as I get to the QB, he'll get rid of it every single time.
Yep with Ellis on the Jets.

# 166 xylocaine @ 07/27/10 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormturd
-Gameflow should bring up situational plays...not pick the plays for you.
That WOULD HAVE allowed the people like us to spend a ton of time setting up our favorite plays for different situations they pressing that and giving us 3 options etc.

That would have been a wonderful way of using it. Instead of pressing A and not knowing what play they will chose until you are approaching the line of scrimmage.

Edit after playing more, you can set it up. Turn off Gameflow and then where normally Ask madden is you will have your custom gameplan set for the situations you determine!

# 167 MAHAM @ 07/27/10 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP
The word on the street over the strategy pad is that it was done precisely to make it harder to make multiple pre-snap adjustments, the kind that nano-blitzers would pull when playing online, stuff like that. I guess they did make it harder, difficult enough to make one pre-snap adjustment in fact.
Nanos are easy to stop with line shifts & extra blockers. Half of peoples cheese vids are done on pro. I'm sick of Madden taking away good features to make online supposedly better. Developers need to figure out that cheesers can break any video game. Itll never change.

# 168 Skyboxer @ 07/27/10 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HittinAgenda
Game planning could have been a completely separate (and sorely needed) feature IMO. With GameFlow being the only way to access your Game Plan, you lose out on control. Sure, you essentially set the frequency of a certain playcall by ranking the play higher when you assemble your Game Plan, but you don't have the option to change this once in game. Thus, your essentially treating every opponent the same unless you have a separate Game Plan for them.

Audibles should come from your Game Plan.....
At least you can choose any play from your playbook at any time....You are not locked into the gameplan for the whole game. At least from what I've read....

But yeah like FPSFB I would have a gameplan for each team I played. Is there work involved in that? Well yeah but it's worth it and fun if you like that aspect of the sport. So hopefully you can save mulitple gameplans. If not I'll edit it each week before mny next game.
People keep saying "Madden is stale madden needs to go forward!! Boycott!!!"

Yet even the smallest of changes (D-PAD adjustments ... adding an OPTION of using gameplanning) and now we hear "Hope we can change it back!!!, Who asked for this??, I'm used to the old way now this is a game killer!!!""

EA can't win for losing.
And no I'm not an EA "lover" as I've done my share of negative feedback. (Animation system for one)

# 169 mrprice33 @ 07/27/10 11:58 AM
I had a hilariously easy time passing with the colts against the jets on all-pro. I won 31-0. So, the game will definitely have to be bumped up to all-madden to provide a challenge. I like gameflow, I didn't get some of the weird "all streaks" problems that other people are posting about.

The strategy pad sucks. It's awful. I guess I understand if they wanted to reduce nanos for online play, but they could have at least a) gave us the old style of audibles for solo play or b) fixed the dang nanos.

Very lukewarm on Madden this year. On the field it doesn't feel like a tremendous step-up from NCAA, and I know the franchise mode doesn't have near the depth that NCAA's dynasty does.

# 170 RGiles36 @ 07/27/10 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
Essentially......they are. They have a completely different visual team, audio team, directors, producers, and executives. It's still Tiburon but the NCAA team is 100x more competent than the Madden team bro.
They share a lot more stuff than you're giving for. A lot more.

And now the NCAA team is 100x more competent than the Madden team? Have ye forgotten NCAA 10 already? In which Madden kicked its rear? That goes to show how fickle we as a fanbase can be (no shots fired at you my man).

# 171 Skyboxer @ 07/27/10 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylocaine
That WOULD HAVE allowed the people like us to spend a ton of time setting up our favorite plays for different situations they pressing that and giving us 3 options etc.

That would have been a wonderful way of using it. Instead of pressing A and not knowing what play they will chose until you are approaching the line of scrimmage.
That's exactly what you can do..... Unless I've hit my head on a rock a while back and have been imagining things....

You can set up 15 plays per situation and save the gameplan. Then gameflow uses that gameplan to pick plays beased on the situation...

Or am I totally off my rocker here people...??

# 172 turftickler @ 07/27/10 12:02 PM
Well, I definitely like the feel of NCAA 11 better than I do Madden 11. IMHO, NCAA 11 is the better game. With Madden 11, it feels too clunky and not as responsive as NCAA 11. It is also very jerky from animations to camera changes.

# 173 MiNiDiTkA @ 07/27/10 12:04 PM
A few pics.

# 174 ezio @ 07/27/10 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
That's exactly what you can do..... Unless I've hit my head on a rock a while back and have been imagining things....

You can set up 15 plays per situation and save the gameplan. Then gameflow uses that gameplan to pick plays beased on the situation...

Or am I totally off my rocker here people...??
Your not off your rocker You are correct. You just have to spend the time to set up the gameplan. I saw some questionable play calls in some of the videos but I am guessing that is because Gameplan was not set up. The question is do you want to do that for every team/game etc. I suppose you could do it once and use that but they mentioned setting up one for the Colts for example to deal with Manning.

# 175 Triathlete_201 @ 07/27/10 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGuinta1
Yep with Ellis on the Jets.
That's good to hear. I was thinking it's impossible with the results I was getting. I'll keep at it.

# 176 ChicagoChris @ 07/27/10 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
That was exactly the feeling I got. Aside from that, I actually think the gameflow/gameplan feature is fine. Gameplanning to me is a good idea and it's realistic. Besides, you can turn it off if you want.
I reserve judgement until I play the full game. IMO, this is a watered down demo.

# 177 Skyboxer @ 07/27/10 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezio
Your not off your rocker You are correct. You just have to spend the time to set up the gameplan. I saw some questionable play calls in some of the videos but I am guessing that is because Gameplan was not set up. The question is do you want to do that for every team/game etc. I suppose you could do it once and use that but they mentioned setting up one for the Colts for example to deal with Manning.
Yep. I for one will set up a gameplan each week just like teams have to do in real life. I love that aspect of the game. It's optional, it's gives another level of customization (can make gameplans for CPU also).

People for years complained about teh Ask Madden play calling... Now you can have it use plays YOU say to use in these situations... How is that a bad thing at all.. lol I don't get the constant negativity. That and complaining about a feature that they have clearly no full understanding of it's uses.

---------------------------------
From EA Blog:

As Coach Madden mentioned, coaches don't go into a game with their full playbook like you do in our game. When it's 2nd down and 3 yards to go, they don't thumb through a 3-ring binder with 350 plays in it. They find tendencies before the game and build a game plan to exploit the other team's weaknesses. This means they call plays based on the situation. On game day the team goes in with a much more limited playbook. The game plan is usually broken down into situations; red zone, 2 minute offense, 3rd and goal, etc. Based on the situation, the coach calls the play in to the QB. The QB makes his reads and changes the play up if necessary and the team executes the play. For Madden NFL 11 we used these concepts to overhaul the way plays are called with GameFlow and Game Planning.

What is GameFlow, what is Game Planning, and how do they work together? They are really two parts of one big initiative - which was "we need to make play calling more authentic".

GameFlow happens while the game is running. With GameFlow, your coach calls the play, and radios it in to you via the headset (if you don't have a headset it will come through the TV). There are also on-screen subtitles to reinforce the audio, and as you go to the line you're shown the play art. You can make any adjustments you want with an audible or the Strategy Pad. Here are a few quick displays of GameFlow in action on offense:

After each play you are presented with the option to use the GameFlow play (the one your coach picks for you) or you can bring up the full playbook and call any play you want. On 4th downs and other times when an important decision needs to be made a screen is shown that lets you make the choice. If it's 4th down you can choose to kick it (field goal or punt depending on the yardage), fake the kick, go for it, or open the playbook. Just like the QB can influence the coach during important decisions, you'll be able to do the same thing.

The other part of GameFlow and easily the most important part is Game Planning. Each team ships with a default game plan based on the way they played last year. Our playbook experts, Anthony White and Larry Richart, broke down all 32 teams and built a truly 100% authentic game plan for each of them. But if you are the customizing type (assuming that you're reading this blog you probably are), you can create a custom game plan and play with that. How do you customize a gameplan?

You have a total of 15 play slots available per situation, and the situations are the same defined by a real NFL coach's play sheet. For each play in any situation, you can adjust the "weighting" of the plays from between .5 to 5 stars. Weighting plays determines the frequency a play is called in game. You can create and save as many game plans as you want.

Creating a defensive gameplan follows the same mold, except that you aren't creating the plays based on the down and distance, but instead on what the offense is showing in terms of personnel and formation. So in the image below, you'd be setting up your "dime" packages (which can be plays out of any defensive formation, not just dime), and these are the plays that you want to run when the offense lines up with 4 or more receivers.

So assuming you've customized your own gameplan, your coach will now call the plays that you set up for each situation. We all know that the strategy behind calling plays is such an important part of the game, but with gameplanning, we're now allowing you to do all that strategy before the game instead of between every single play. Gameplans can be carried into Franchise, Superstar, Online, Madden Ultimate Team and Play Now games.

As an aside, you can also create game plans for the CPU. If you really want to change how the computer plays you can finally do that. If your team (or another team) changes their play calling style throughout the year you can update their game plan and keep them playing true to life. This adds a new level of customization to franchise mode. Even if you know how your friends like to call plays, you can set up a game plan to have the CPU play like them so you can practice.

Another key note about gameplans is that you can use them with or without GameFlow. Let's say you want to play with the old style play-calling screen. If you do, the "Ask Madden" option is actually totally replaced with "My Gameplan", which then gives you all your pre-planned plays right there for you in each game situation.

Of course, one thing to be clear on is that everything is optional. If you want to play without GameFlow you can. You can choose to play with the conventional play call screen (old style play call screen that's been around since the advent of football gaming). You can choose to turn off coordinator audio, subtitles, and strategy pad. Pretty much everything is an option.

I have to be honest; when we first told people what we were planning to do they thought we were crazy. Everyone was skeptical. Some people were scared, others laughed, but then they played it. Once they played it they got it. We're giving people a new way to play Madden NFL. It's a more true-to-life way of playing. You strategize before the game and then when it's time to play, you just get on the field and execute. You get a more realistic, more authentic, and more fun game experience overall. Best of all, you can now play 2 or even 3 games of Madden NFL 11 in the same amount of time it took you to play 1 last year, without compromising on presentation, stats, or the like. I hope you enjoy Game Planning and GameFlow.

# 178 Skyboxer @ 07/27/10 12:13 PM
Quote:
I thought that if you didn't setup your gameplan manually that the offensive and defensive coordinators had the gameplans setup for you based according to REAL LIFE tendencies.

Am I right or wrong on this?
According to Blog, you are correct.
Guess my main thing is, it's built in BUT if you still don't like it you can't make you own. Best of both worlds.

# 179 MAHAM @ 07/27/10 12:13 PM
I thought they got rid of the ball right before you get there on '10 also. On '10 it was best to press the tackle button instead of simply running into the QB or hitstick which didnt work well for sacks either.

Try the tackle button to sack, the QB when in throwing motion will get sacked instead of a duck pass. Maybe that works for '11 too.

# 180 ezio @ 07/27/10 12:14 PM
Quote:
I thought that if you didn't setup your gameplan manually that the offensive and defensive coordinators had the gameplans setup for you based according to REAL LIFE tendencies.

Am I right or wrong on this?
Based on what skyboxed posted you are correct:

The other part of GameFlow and easily the most important part is Game Planning. Each team ships with a default game plan based on the way they played last year. Our playbook experts, Anthony White and Larry Richart, broke down all 32 teams and built a truly 100% authentic game plan for each of them. But if you are the customizing type (assuming that you're reading this blog you probably are), you can create a custom game plan and play with that.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.