Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

You may recall the news story last week from CNBC which declaratively stated that Madden sales were weak this year. The evidence used was early price drops from retailers and weak pre-orders for the title. Not the most concrete evidence for sure, but far from the worst you could use.

But with that in mind, we can start to frame some real non-biased ideas on where Madden and NCAA's sales really are right now. So with that said, let's take a look at the best evidence we have and figure out where both Madden and NCAA are when it comes to sales.

Read More - Are Madden Sales Slipping?

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Exonerated @ 08/25/10 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I can't speak for anyone else but... Madden's sales will NEVER slip at my house.

Later
Ea has a foothold in my house too... Madden, NCAA, FIFA...

# 22 bxgoods @ 08/25/10 01:11 PM
I think it has a lot to do with the economy, because NCAA 11's sales are down compared to NCAA 10 and everybody says 11 is the much better game.
I know in NY, a lot of people don't have jobs, not many people can afford 60 bucks plus tax for a videogame right now.

# 23 LucianoJJ @ 08/26/10 12:40 PM
The devs seemed to have tried harder to improve gameplay this time around. It's a shame the sales numbers haven't gone up, as a reaction to this. This country has more serious issues to deal with than worry about video game sales being down.

# 24 kjcheezhead @ 10/11/10 04:49 AM
I decided to bump this thread rather than start a new one. I read several articles about Madden's strong sales through August, but haven't heard anything since. According to Vgchartz, here are sales numbers through 8 weeks.

Madden 11

306- 1,218,183

PS3-1,026,574

Wii- 143,909

Ps2- 141,705

psp- 114,194

Total= 2,644,565

Madden 10 through 8 weeks:

360- 1,260,243

PS3- 960,345

Wii- 136,172

PS2- 301,323

PSP- 147,323

Total- 2,805,406

I remember reading how Madden 10's sales were disappointing originally. Though 8 weeks, Madden 11 is underselling 10 by about 150,000 units. Now I realize this is the first year that online pass was sold and I expect Madden 11 is more profitable because of this, but I don't see how Madden 11 sales could be considered strong right now.

# 25 Exonerated @ 10/11/10 07:52 AM
fifa sold 2.3 million in the first 2 weeks.

# 26 roadman @ 10/11/10 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfletch71
Madden sales use to be between 4-5 million when the next gen consoles first kicked off. They are hardly getting those sales now and its causing EA problems, because Madden use to be there flagship title, its not anymore and FIFA have took that from it. I dont see it getting any better, because more gamers are growing tired of madden and want something other than madden as a football game. The sales dont lie, we seeing a trend that is likely not going to fade anytime soon.
Soccer has world wide adoration, American football does not.

# 27 kjcheezhead @ 10/11/10 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Soccer has world wide adoration, American football does not.
Odd thing about that. Fifa 05 has sold 4.5 million copies on xbox/ ps2 while Madden 05 has sold 5.9 million and NFL 2k5 has sold 3.4 million. 2 American football titles have combined to outsell the soccer game of that year 2-1.

# 28 timberthetree @ 10/11/10 10:34 AM
Its not that odd at all, PES and winning eleven ran the show back than in the soccer world selling in total over 11 million

# 29 Gordy748 @ 10/11/10 10:56 AM
Speaking as someone that works for Sony...

Madden's sales rates aren't necessarily indicative that 11's worse than 10. The different sales between the Sony platforms follow the pattern of console ownership; more people are buying the PS3 (especially the slim version) and trading in their PS2s. PSP is hampered as a mobile gaming device by iPhone, iPad and other smartphones. Further, Madden is popular only in 1 market, USA, with very muted sales globally. USA has significant economic issues, and this has led many people to either forego 11 (whether this is a good idea or not is determined by whether you think 11's features are worth another $60) or wait for pre-owned editions to come out.

As a UK resident, I can confirm that NFL game sales are, globally, a poor second to soccer games. Personally, I greatly prefer NFL (irl and gaming), but soccer is the global ball sport du jour, while gridiron is more an American curiosity. Despite this, NFL games are the second most popular sporting game in the world (and if you look at games sales to population preference, NFL games are far ahead of soccer games).

In terms of game quality, soccer games are a good step ahead of NFL. Simple reason is that FIFA has 2 game licenses, so EA has FIFA and Konami make PES (Pro Evolution Soccer). This is good for FIFA as it means that both firms work extra hard to make their game extra immersive to steal sales away from the other. The NFL made a mistake in monopolizing its game provider, imo. There isn't an incentive for EA to make the game any better (I think Mad11 is 2 steps forward and 3 back from Mad10) so the NFL experience doesn't evolve.

On the other hand, there is no reason why EA should want to improve Madden. The company exists to sell more boxes, not better ones. Producing the best, most immersive football game just makes you less likely to buy their other boxes, like NHL, FIFA, NBA, because you're much less likely to get bored.

# 30 kjcheezhead @ 10/11/10 10:58 AM
Forgot about the other soccer title, I don't play soccer games. Yeah, looks like Winning Eleven probably sold enough to even it out, (I'm not sure which version was released that year). Not sure I see anything close to 11 million tho.

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals....=50&sort=Total

# 31 timberthetree @ 10/11/10 11:11 AM
soccer "titles" They don't even show pc sales which made up more internationally.

# 32 mrprice33 @ 10/11/10 11:20 AM
Week one sales for Madden in the US (PS3 and 360 combined) are +1,045,008 compared to FIFA in the US during their first week.

# 33 Only1LT @ 10/11/10 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Week one sales for Madden in the US (PS3 and 360 combined) are +1,045,008 compared to FIFA in the US during their first week.

Not sure what point you are trying to make by this. The US is obviously the country that Soccer is least popular. Afterall, we call it Soccer lol. This is no more enlightening than when people say that FIFA has outsold Madden, as every other nation besides ours, is infatuated with Football, aka Soccer.

Sales are down in Madden, but then again sales were down at this time last year and they turned around some to end up respectable. It is possible that the same thing happens again, so this is premature.

What can probably be inferred by the lackluster performance Madden titles have had recently in the first few months of release is that Madden is no longer as valued a brand to consumers as it once was, and that people are content to wait till the title is discounted to purchase it, as opposed to needing it ASAP, like they once did.

# 34 debauchlord @ 10/11/10 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
What can probably be inferred by the lackluster performance Madden titles have had recently in the first few months of release is that Madden is no longer as valued a brand to consumers as it once was, and that people are content to wait till the title is discounted to purchase it, as opposed to needing it ASAP, like they once did.
The true meat of the matter is that consumers are slowly coming around to the fact that there are very few "must buy" games. In times of economic spoils, one can be forgiven for wasting money on a horsecrap game. Now, even if they can afford it, people are becoming more wiser as to the worth of their dollar. People need to see value in entertainment these days. There is value in upgrading from a standard def to a high def television. There is value in upgrading from a PS2 to a PS3. What is the value in Madden 11? It is not apparent out of the box, nor is it apparent "on" the box. Graphics are roughly the same. Options are roughly the same. Gameplay is roughly the same. madden 10 held more value than Madden 9, but Madden 11 does not increase, nor even replicate, the value over Madden 10. Sales will eventually even out, I suspect, but the heydays are most likely over. Would this justify letting the NFL exclusive license fade? Possibly, but the threat of losing the exclusive license and having their current sales roughly halved by a competitor is probably too great to just let go like that. Also, i am curious, because if the NFLPA decertifies for the next season, as they are currently doing, that nullifies all contracts, presumably also the exclusive deal. Wondering how that would affect things.

# 35 mestevo @ 10/11/10 09:42 PM
The PSP losing to cell phones, the PS2 sales dwindling as that platform dies, and the crap economy, sales look flat, not slipping...

Again, the original reports of sales being poor were premature, not that anyone is willing to revisit that...

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk

# 36 marshallfever @ 10/11/10 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
It's something of a double-edged sword, though. I think the disconnect is that many around here feel that the game as it is now is aimed at the casual crowd wheras Ian and Crew will swear on a stack of bibles that sim is and has been the aim of the past few development cycles. If the sales do dip then obviously changes are going to be made. The rub is how are the decision-makers going to read the situation? Are they going to see this as a sign that the game needs to cater to the hardcore gamers and move toward more realism, or are they going to scrap the current approach and make the game more arcade-like to appeal to the casual gamer?

Just my guess, but with a cash cow like this, catering to the masses is always going to win out... i.e. just look at the sacrifices that where made this go-round with franchise mode and such.
I completely agree. I actually held off of buying the game this year because it felt too much like the previous version but minor changes. I brought 09 and 10 and didn't feel like 11 was good enough to buy.

I'm really hoping they truly go back to the drawing board and try to figure out whats wrong and what direction they truly want to go in. Either go full simulation or don't go at all.

This has nothing to do with the Madden developers but NBA Elite has gotten delayed indefinitely.....i think because of that EA Sports as a whole will probably take a deeper look into their sports games as a whole. Fifa and NHL sell incredibly well but Live and Madden have fallen off. I truly think its about time these developers went on a 2 year development time frame. I rather get a roaster update one year and know the following year i'm in for an amazing game, i wouldn't even mind "paying" a very minimal price for a roaster update with some tweaks and enhancements.

For some strange reason, i feel like 12 will be a special game. It'll either break or make the franchise in my opinion. With sales going down, if 12 isn't mighty impressive i don't know how they can get their fans back.

# 37 stlstudios189 @ 10/11/10 10:46 PM
I think Madden 12 will make or break the series. I for one am having fun with 11 but, if the game is not improved in dynasty or doesn't have in game saves I will not be spending my $$

# 38 TreFacTor @ 10/12/10 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I think there are other factors in declining Madden sales and other gamers overall, but I think this one in particular is the main killer.

Pre owned games. Many are willing to wait to buy a pre owned copy of any title, and this right here is killing the gaming company. Now for stores that sell pre won games. There are making a killing. The profit margin is huge. Much larger than selling the title new.

They have to find a way to slow this down. I dont think they can, but at this point you can get games used from stores like gamestop, and through sites like amazon, ebay, and craig's list.

I believe if the sale of pre own games did not exist in major retailers. Then sales would be very high.

Now there is only one franchise that does not get affected by this , and its Activision with the COD series. I guess your product has to be so insane that gamers can not wait for a pre owned copy.
This argument is weak. Not just coming from you, but coming from any company...why does a software, music, or movie company deserve a double dip in the retail sales industry when no other company enjoys such a luxury. If I trade in a slightly used pair of sneakers to get the latest ones, NIKE doesn't complain that they can get any profit from the transaction. If I sell a book, the publisher doesn't complain that it's loosing a sale on the book. It is a superficial, unsubstantiated argument that greedy companies use to make it appear that they are loosing money from resales when they actually aren't. Don't fall for the propaganda. Use your own logic... Chevy doesn't get a share of any car that is resold...why should EA get a share of a used disc.

To anyone who feels bad for the devs...don't. They have the freedom to make the game the way they see fit, and this should be noticeable since the game reached next gen. Now they may have someone higher up that is setting agenda's or trying to meet sales figures, while trying to tap and untapped consumer, but the devs have control over the overall product. Many fans haven't been happy with the series for at least the last decade, but lower sales doesn't mean Madden will change this gen. The yearly turnaround doesn't allow for huge advancements to be made. The next great football simulation video game will not come from EA, at least not in this generation of consoles. I would wager that some other company has been waiting in the wings for the contract to run out, and to pounce on EA in their weakened state.

# 39 Gordy748 @ 10/13/10 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
To anyone who feels bad for the devs...don't. They have the freedom to make the game the way they see fit, and this should be noticeable since the game reached next gen. Now they may have someone higher up that is setting agenda's or trying to meet sales figures, while trying to tap and untapped consumer, but the devs have control over the overall product. Many fans haven't been happy with the series for at least the last decade, but lower sales doesn't mean Madden will change this gen. The yearly turnaround doesn't allow for huge advancements to be made. The next great football simulation video game will not come from EA, at least not in this generation of consoles. I would wager that some other company has been waiting in the wings for the contract to run out, and to pounce on EA in their weakened state.
TerFacTor, I completely agree with your view regarding second hand games. But regards the developers, I'm not so sure they have the freedom you say they do. Game publishers care about the number of boxes they sell, not what's in them. For EA Sports, maxing sales means making compelling games where they have competition (e.g. soccer) to take share from competitors, but making less fulfilling games where they have a monopoly (e.g. NFL). If you get bored quicker, then because you're a sports sim gamer, you're more likely to go buy another (hopefully EA) sports game. Gets them $120 of your cash, not just $60. An alternative view is that Tiburon doesn't manage resources well enough to let the developers do their thing. Too many cooks and all that jazz.

Your view that it's the developers fault... well it's possible. But EA's a gaming monolith, and I'd reckon the suits in the big corporate offices are far more to blame for the lack of Madden's innovation than the geek programmers on the shop floor. (spoken as a geek)

Either way, I feel you may be right saying that EA won't be the company to fix Madden. Here's hoping we're both wrong on this, it'll be a couple of dull years if they don't fix it.

# 40 roadman @ 10/13/10 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
This argument is weak. Not just coming from you, but coming from any company...why does a software, music, or movie company deserve a double dip in the retail sales industry when no other company enjoys such a luxury. If I trade in a slightly used pair of sneakers to get the latest ones, NIKE doesn't complain that they can get any profit from the transaction. If I sell a book, the publisher doesn't complain that it's loosing a sale on the book. It is a superficial, unsubstantiated argument that greedy companies use to make it appear that they are loosing money from resales when they actually aren't. Don't fall for the propaganda. Use your own logic... Chevy doesn't get a share of any car that is resold...why should EA get a share of a used disc.

In regards to your first paragraph, don't be surprised if other companies follow suit on the double dipping. There are two local stores that are being watched like a hawk by the police department. Merry Go Round Music Store and Half Price Books. The two stores in the area are getting pressure from the local police department to set up a database that identifies people selling stolen property for profit. The stores are trying to fight the ordinance because they have to front the fees for the database. If news like this continues to spread, who's to say that Nike won't want something from the seller or from the reseller in the very near future?

As far as your second paragraph, none of us works at EA to say how the inner workings work. It's been said here when Ian came on board, he asked for a new engine and was denied. So, if that is true, how does that equate to freedom with the way they see fit?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.