Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

Check out the latest NBA 2K11 Developer Insight, discussing the art of passing.

Quote:
"Steve Nash, John Stockton, Chris Paul, Jason Kidd. When you read these names one of the first things that should enter your mind is their amazing passing ability. They’ve got the innate gift of hitting players right where the ball needs to be. They not only complete the pass but also put receivers in position to make the next move. With this being said, has a player’s passer rating ever really mattered in a basketball videogame to this extent? Sure, it might have been factored into whether or not a player will be able to throw a good alley-oop or dish off a fancy pass. But in the end, couldn’t you throw a 35 foot chest pass to a covered receiver with the same accuracy using Steve Nash as you could with, say, Joel Przybilla? The answer is a resounding yes, but in 2K11, pass ratings matter in almost every aspect of throwing the ball. Whether you’re trying to thread the needle on a pass to the interior or you’re attempting to pass out of a shot, the passing ability of the ball-handler now matters. It determines whether or not the pass will be clean or will force the receiver to adjust his stance to catch the ball. The receiver might have to lean or the pass might force him to adjust so much that he bobbles the ball (which in turn can be retrieved by anyone). Many factors come into play here other than the pass rating, such as the distance to the receiver and how open the receiver is where he’s supposed to catch the ball. It’s amazing the difference this has made to the passing game and we’re very happy that pass ratings finally matter."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 LeBronistheKing @ 08/24/10 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe24-
I love how you ONLY show Cav Highlights.... you do realize theres more than one team in the NBA....I wonder if ur still a cavs fan since LeBron left.... i also wonder if ur a bandwagon Heat fan now...

I am a basketball fan, I have been for 22 years. So yes I do realize that there is more than one team in the NBA. However LeBron is my current favorite player so naturally I am going to post videos he was involved in. Also as has been previously stated the Cavaliers ran that play fairly consistently. I was unaware that I had to expand my media posting to include other teams to please you. I was also unaware that I registered on this forum to prove to you my knowledge of the NBA. I was always under the false assumption that I could post whatever I wanted that pertained to the topics in the forum which is what this is a forum for free discussion about the game.

# 62 domidomdomz @ 08/24/10 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBronistheKing
wow cool. thanks for the heads up!

# 63 kpax1º1 @ 08/24/10 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBronistheKing
Nice. I think this video deserves his own thread.

Back to the topic, great insight and you can see little details like Rose's tongue when he's reaching Nelson's pass.

# 64 LeBronistheKing @ 08/24/10 06:42 PM
Yes it does I saw that right after I posted it in here.

# 65 rhein77 @ 08/24/10 07:06 PM
Hello. I visit these forums a bunch to follow all the 2k11 news but after reading the latest insight... I had to register to post. I dont play online but I do play with all of my friends and we go head to head hard. I thought that 2k10 was a stellar game, but after reading these developer insights, you realize how flawed the game is.

I felt that the post game from last year was broken because of the double team. You would get a big on the lower block with a great post game get stymied by a user doubleteam and a quick closeout. Sometimes the ball would just get taken by the doubleteam. It basically made an important part of basketball sort of irrelevant.

After reading the insight I almost wet my pants! People will pay for doubling.
  • I can anticipate the pass and pass it back out for a shot...
  • I can fake pass it and go to my post moves and punish the defender for not doubling...
  • or I can dish the ball to the cutter of the man that came to help.

This adds another level of realism to the game and it will truly be a chess match this year!!! I am stoked. Props to the 2k team for dotting the I's and crossing the T's!

# 66 TreyIM2 @ 08/24/10 07:22 PM
This sounds like some great stuff. Glad MW brought TCP back with him to 2K. It was definitely a great innovation in Live 10. Only issue I had was the following:

Quote:
Well then. Good luck 2K gamers on NBA 2K11. Many things addressed to improve Passing and you can look for these and other tweaks when the game is out October 5th.
I just wanted mention of a demo between now and Oct. 5th and I hope it's not a debacle like last year on the PS3 where we didn't get the demo til AFTER 2K10 came out.

# 67 kpax1º1 @ 08/24/10 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
I noticed after i posted my last post

# 68 t-mac357 @ 08/24/10 08:10 PM
I guess this was mandatory considering Stockton and Magic are going to be huge in this game.

# 69 TreyIM2 @ 08/24/10 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-mac357
I guess this was mandatory considering Stockton and Magic are going to be huge in this game.
Only if you're playing Jordan Moments against their teams. Otherwise, not really.

# 70 LeBronistheKing @ 08/24/10 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
Only if you're playing Jordan Moments against their teams. Otherwise, not really.

It has already been confirmed that you can use all the classic teams from the Jordan Challenge in other game modes such as quick games. So yes the pick and roll as well as the new passing will be important.

# 71 blues rocker @ 08/24/10 09:03 PM
total control passing and right stick passing were taken directly from Live 10. I'm sure Mike Wang recommended it. I'm glad 2k was not afraid to take something that the other game does well and add it to their own game.

# 72 Ermolli @ 08/24/10 09:05 PM
Great insight, like the variation of passes and how important the passing rating is

# 73 Jakeness23 @ 08/24/10 09:07 PM
im not sure if i'll use the new thing where you control somebody off the ball THAT often, i probably will use that more during the Jordan Challenge to get my boy open. but i will be testing out the right stick passing for sure, and im excited that they fixed the stuff for the left stick + A passing and the direct passing (icons) that definitely needed fixing and low and behold it got it. 2K developers just might be the best game developers in the business.

# 74 23 @ 08/24/10 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
im not sure if i'll use the new thing where you control somebody off the ball THAT often, i probably will use that more during the Jordan Challenge to get my boy open. but i will be testing out the right stick passing for sure, and im excited that they fixed the stuff for the left stick + A passing and the direct passing (icons) that definitely needed fixing and low and behold it got it. 2K developers just might be the best game developers in the business.
I think they said you're already player locked in the Jordan Challenge

# 75 jlbrown143 @ 08/24/10 09:25 PM
I'm just glad they put back in fake passing...all other passes will be icing on the cake for me..lol man I can't wait for this game to come out....seriously...lol

# 76 apManila24 @ 08/24/10 09:33 PM
Im so glad they improved the passing. Im tired of seeing overhead passes. They look really weird. I also hope they fix the half calf sleeve.

# 77 bearschicago @ 08/24/10 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
As a SIM baller I know you need to see for yourself. But from what I played its legit for the both the cpu and the user. Bad passers making difficult passes take guys out of the great position they had to score. I have seen it more than a few times.
What about lob passes when the defenders are fronting the post? Or is fronting the post something the AI CPU still not do even on Simulation Game Style?

Quote:
2. Post Feeds – Most of the time you tried to feed the post last year the result was a lob pass. This became very predictable and because of the slow speed of the lob, the defender of the passer could double down by the time the post player was ready to put the ball on the floor. It was frustrating and really hindered the post game. We’ve improved this tremendously by working with our post feed logic, allowing for more bounce wrap passes into the post. This includes wrap passes while standing and while on the move as seen above from Jameer to Dwight. We can now intelligently decide whether to throw a lob or a wrap bounce pass. And even though I knew it would make a big difference, I was really caught off guard by just how much better our game now looks and feels when it comes to entering passes into players who have their defenders sealed in the post. It’s also yet another deceptively large reason to use the post game.

# 78 Bornindamecca @ 08/24/10 11:01 PM
Great Dev Insight. Here's what I'm hoping for with the passing:

Passing Difficulty Ladder
Stationary passer to Stationary
Stationary passer to moving target
Moving passer to Stationary Target
Moving Passer to Moving Target
Moving Passer to Moving/Airborne Target
Airborne passer to Moving target
Modify all of the above for speed of passer, speed of target and effectiveness of defense in the given situation.

The passing skill level should determine player proficiency in the above areas, with only elite passers being skilled at all of them, yet still suffering penalties for attempting difficult passes against difficult defense.

# 79 blues rocker @ 08/24/10 11:02 PM
i'm not sure I like the bobbled pass thing...i think it could end up getting annoying if your teammates are bobbling a lot of passes when they shouldn't be. it's fine if they are bobbling in appropriate situations, but unfortunately I can see the game forcing them to bobble when you made a perfectly good pass.

# 80 elprez98 @ 08/24/10 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
i'm not sure I like the bobbled pass thing...i think it could end up getting annoying if your teammates are bobbling a lot of passes when they shouldn't be. it's fine if they are bobbling in appropriate situations, but unfortunately I can see the game forcing them to bobble when you made a perfectly good pass.
Its not always about the pass, sometimes it is about the receiver not having good hands, sir. It happens.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.