Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

According to some 1up sources, Tiburon will now be handling the NBA franchise. Nothing has been confirmed, as of yet.

Quote:
"History looks to be repeating itself at Electronic Arts. Sources tell 1UP that Tiburon will now be handling the NBA franchise.

The report follows a tweet from 3D Realm's George Broussard, who says that EA Canada has laid off more than 100 employees. Broussard also said that he has heard rumors of "large scale layoffs" at EA coming soon.

EA Canada was responsible for the development of NBA Elite 11, which has been delayed indefinitely. The studio also handles the NHL series. Need for Speed developer Black Box and EA Canada were consolidated in 2008.

If the reports are accurate, this would mark the second time in EA history that an important sports franchise has been transferred to Tiburon following a failure to launch. The first instance came when Visual Concepts failed to complete a PlayStation version of Madden NFL 96. The project was handed to Tiburon, which has been responsible for the series ever since."

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 rudyjuly2 @ 11/01/10 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
I agree anyone calling for new consoles to fix the current issues are shortsighted. So getting a new console in theory should fix current issues, but new ones arise. Yea that make sense. MS and Sony put alot of money into these systems and are going to get there money worth. Plus at this point what new innovation could they add more memory maybe gpu , but that's costly ask sony.
I think most of the limitations for the games out there are 95% related to programming. Graphics are obviously new systems but if they can't get controls, animations or AI correct on these systems, they certainly won't get any better just by introducing more horsepower on a new system.

# 82 BiggD @ 11/01/10 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I think most of the limitations for the games out there are 95% related to programming. Graphics are obviously new systems but if they can't get controls, animations or AI correct on these systems, they certainly won't get any better just by introducing more horsepower on a new system.
100% agreed, gameplay has NOTHING to go with limitations of a console..

# 83 Boilerbuzz @ 11/01/10 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarya
Bad example dude because all of the NBA Streets were developed by EA Canada http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Street_Homecourt. Perhaps it wouldve been better if you compared NBA 2k to Nba Live. Nba 2k games are made by Visual Concepts which is a California based developer.
Wrong. The game was PUBLISHED through EAC, but actually developed at a studio in Chicago. I know that for a fact. If wiki says different, then it's wrong. And I'm totally aware of who makes 2K games. Don't know where I would have said otherwise.

# 84 Boilerbuzz @ 11/01/10 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
You and I obviously don't view Live 10 in the same light, which is ok. I thought it was great, you probably didn't as you say it's been a complete fail on this generation of consoles, so that would include Live 10. You yourself didn't make the whole "country" argument but others did and I took offence to it. All water under the bridge at this point. When all is said and done, I just want to see a great alternative to the 2K series in one of the few sports where competition is still an option in the sports video game world. I thought Live 11 would be that game and I'm sure myself, EAC, Mike Wang and many, many members on here would have loved to see the direction the series WAS headed in last year given a chance to fully mature.
For my part, in NO way did I say Canada isn't passionate about basketball. I know quite a few people from Canada, and almost ALL of them love basketball. They know the game. But to say it's not a prevailing part of the culture is NOT an insult. It's just the way it is. It's no big deal. I do find it baffling that the only Canadian NBA team can't succeed in the country's largest city. It doesn't say that the game isn't loved. But it DOES say that the culture of the NBA does not resonate with enough people there. That's all. So, the metric I've used for any statement has a very visible basis.

IN THE END, the fact that EAC, in my opinion has failed to deliver a consistently high quality product when it's first true competition came along, said to me that it was time for a change. Now, that change could have been to Montreal or Toronto. I don't care. I just know that it wasn't working in that studio. And saying that it should have because the only recently good NHL and FIFA titles are successful is a major fail in logic.

# 85 Boilerbuzz @ 11/01/10 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
So the point is, for me to purchase a sports game, I have to either truly enjoy the sport, or have a reasonable expectation that the gameplay is at least as enjoyable as any of the non-sports games I own. In most cases, sports gameplay is not on par with non-sports gameplay. In my experience with EACanada? It is.
I understand what you're saying. You presented fair counterpoints to my post and I think we both have stated our positions respecting each others. If I have one problem with anything you're saying, it's the assumption that based on your trust of EAC, you're apt to believe any game they make would be good. And that, I think, is highly dubious. That's all I'm saying.

# 86 Boilerbuzz @ 11/01/10 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarya
EAT may use a whole different process. They might treat nba live/elite like they do madden. They are not really known for scrapping gameplay. If they put something good in the game they go with it and add other things to it here and there. We probably wont see too many 3 yr plans by them. Madden is stale now but its playable.
Tiburon has some good minds there. If they feel they need to start from scratch, that's what they will do.

# 87 Boilerbuzz @ 11/02/10 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok
I cant blame them for getting rid of Visual Concepts. Madden got worse when they took over and I didnt think NFL 2k was any good until 2k3.
Got worse? Please pick a metric where it got worse? Sales? No. Critical acclaim? Nope. Your opinion? Maybe. Can't please everyone I would guess.

# 88 Boilerbuzz @ 11/02/10 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD
100% agreed, gameplay has NOTHING to go with limitations of a console..
Then you guys have no idea of the complexity that goes into such systems. If you think these machines are capable of the cutting edge of all of these aspects of programming while still delivering what is expected of current-gen gaming in terms of graphics and content, then you would be mistaken.

# 89 rEAnimator @ 11/02/10 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Wrong. The game was PUBLISHED through EAC, but actually developed at a studio in Chicago. I know that for a fact. If wiki says different, then it's wrong. And I'm totally aware of who makes 2K games. Don't know where I would have said otherwise.
Not a big deal, but I know the first NBA Street was developed by an external studio but produced out of EAC, and Homecourt was definitely 100% developed at EAC. I don't remember where vol 2 & 3 were developed. So you're both correct

# 90 jaosming @ 11/02/10 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
Not a big deal, but I know the first NBA Street was developed by an external studio but produced out of EAC, and Homecourt was definitely 100% developed at EAC. I don't remember where vol 2 & 3 were developed. So you're both correct
NuFX they got absorbed into EA Chicago

they also helped out on my favorite MM 2003

# 91 sroz39 @ 11/02/10 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
For my part, in NO way did I say Canada isn't passionate about basketball. I know quite a few people from Canada, and almost ALL of them love basketball. They know the game. But to say it's not a prevailing part of the culture is NOT an insult. It's just the way it is. It's no big deal. I do find it baffling that the only Canadian NBA team can't succeed in the country's largest city. It doesn't say that the game isn't loved. But it DOES say that the culture of the NBA does not resonate with enough people there. That's all. So, the metric I've used for any statement has a very visible basis.

IN THE END, the fact that EAC, in my opinion has failed to deliver a consistently high quality product when it's first true competition came along, said to me that it was time for a change. Now, that change could have been to Montreal or Toronto. I don't care. I just know that it wasn't working in that studio. And saying that it should have because the only recently good NHL and FIFA titles are successful is a major fail in logic.
Dude, twisting my words around to try to make your point more valid is not going to work. I never, EVER said that EAC SHOULD make a good basketball game because FIFA and NHL are good. I was simply stating that FIFA specifically, wasn't being held back by being developed in Canada, despite us not being world-beaters in soccer, just like basketball. I agree with you that the Live series has consistently under-performed on these consoles. There's no arguing that. My point was they are capable of it, based on NBA Live 10 being reviewed very favourably.

# 92 rEAnimator @ 11/02/10 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaosming
NuFX they got absorbed into EA Chicago

they also helped out on my favorite MM 2003
Yeah, that was it. Forgot the name NuFX. You have a better memory than I do

# 93 ThtsWhtSheSd16 @ 11/02/10 05:32 PM
EA just confirmed on their Q2 2011 earnings call that Elite will be moving to Tiburon and that NBA Elite 11 has been canceled.

# 94 Steve_OS @ 11/02/10 05:39 PM

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.