Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

Check out this Destructoid article, which reveals the reaction from MLB 2K11 developers, on MLB 11 The Show's adoption of analog controls.

[center]
Quote:
"I don't think there's anything wrong with taking what other people do [well]," he told me, acknowledging that the pitch and swing analyzers with ball trails in MLB 2K10 originated from EA Sports' previous-generation classic, MVP Baseball 2005. The folks at Visual Concepts felt reassured to see The Show -- a franchise that has long been viewed as superior to MLB 2K -- taking after a 2K Sports innovation.

But Bailey pointed out that analog controls aren't inherently good or bad; "it's how it's done, not what you do." From what he's heard of MLB 11, he doesn't think too much of its analog pitching:

Every single one of their pitches is going to be down-up. Well, you know, as a 2K player, that's going to get boring to me, because that's a four-seam fastball -- that's the easiest pitch in our game."
vln13: The MLB 2K11 designers said they were "flattered" by MLB 11 The Show adopting their controls, but felt as if their design was superior based on the fact that their pitching gesture system is more complex. However, Samit Sarkar, the author of the article, seemed to differ from Bailey's opinion, stating The Show's mechanic is interesting and varied in its own way. He will post his impressions of The Show later this week.

This is not to mention the fact that pitching is only a third of the analogue equation, and that 2k's hitting was sub-par last year and it doesn't look like they focused on improving that aspect of the controls.

To me, this is just another case of a less recognized game trying to get attention in a little bit of a cheap way, kind of like how the developers of NBA Elite tried to do with the far superior NBA 2K11. We all know how much their arrogance backfired on them. Any time a developer tells you how you should play the game, in my opinion, red flags should go up. I thought MLB 2K10 made great strides from 2K9 and I pre-ordered both The Show and 2K11. Before I play either game, I cannot make any assumptions about the quality of either control scheme or game as a whole; however, when these kinds of jabs are taken, I cannot help but wonder if there is a tone of desperation here.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 loganmorrison1 @ 02/15/11 11:21 PM
I think this is great b/c is shows me that 2k feels like their game has some balls this year and if that is true, I am totally pumped being a huge baseball fan, I now have 2 great games to play

# 22 rudyjuly2 @ 02/16/11 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinSainn
Ok, isn't the point of a sports sim to be as realistic as possible? I can't stand it when people put sim results ahead of realistic gameplay. What's the point of sim results if you don't get an authentic, realistic gameplay experience?
I don't equate realism with control schemes. I don't think that matters. I'm not actually playing baseball and sitting in my chair with a controller doesn't make me forget that no matter how I'm pushing the buttons. The most important thing about playing a video game is having fun and I think that is true for everyone here. The 2K control scheme is more fun for me so I like it.

Quote:
Why shouldn't the ball miss to the right if you miss your mark to the right every time? I'm the one playing so I'm the one who should be responsible for the results. It's not just tweaking left or right either, if you pull back too far you'll overthrow and if you don't pull back far enough you'll underthrow. Plus the velocity of the stick directly affects the velocity of the pitch. It's almost as if your right stick IS your pitcher's arm. I simply don't see how anything on a controller could be considered a better representation of pitching baseball.
You may be right. This is something I'm undecided on. Pitchers can understand why they miss at times but I don't think it's fair to say they always know why they blew a pitch. I liked playing with Classic pitching the last couple of years I had the Show and I enjoyed the random misses but this may be a good thing. I have to see how it's implemented before I make up my mind.

Quote:
This paragraph is just ridiculous. Like the other poster said, you have to play all the other aspects of the game in real-time, so why not pitching? If you really wanna watch the pitcher go through his motion then put on a CPU vs. CPU game and just watch. Personally, I wanna play the game, not watch it.
I don't think it's fair to say I only want to watch the game rather than play it by executing the exact same pitch scheme one second earlier than they currently have it. Some pitchers have cool deliveries. I'd like to be able to see that rather than just watch a graphic over their head and miss out on that. This is personal preference for me. If you don't like it that's fine but this is something I would prefer.

# 23 rudyjuly2 @ 02/16/11 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokez4DAyz
the users who post on this website have a 75-25 favor for the show, and with that kind of bias, anything said by the 2k guys, whether true or not, gets you guys to go into all out defend mode for the show. anyone that REALLY plays both games, knows that 2K is the more exciting, eye-popping game. IF you REALLY play both games, you know the show is solid, but only solid, it is not at NBA 2K11 status, or stellar, or superior. Yet on this website, you read how its the greatest game...whatever.
You just did the same thing as the Show guys by assuming one game is better than the other and taking shots. I do get annoyed with how defensive some Show posters can be but please don't do the same thing with 2K baseball.

I will most likely be going with 2K11 this year but that doesn't mean I can say 2K11 will be a better game than the Show 11 for everyone. I can only say it will be a better game for me based on reasons X, Y and Z. Some people will give both games a fair shot and pick one game over the other for various reasons. That's fine. It's the blanket statements without recognizing personal preference that irritates me.

# 24 Motown @ 02/16/11 10:12 AM
Even tho I'm checkin' out 2Ks game this year...as far as gameplay & getting the best simulation of baseball POSSIBLE...there ain't NO baseball game that gets you closer...than the SHOW...that includes 2K.

# 25 ryan36 @ 02/16/11 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
You may be right. This is something I'm undecided on. Pitchers can understand why they miss at times but I don't think it's fair to say they always know why they blew a pitch.
They don't always know why true, but usually it's pretty clear. Overstride, your arm is late the ball misses high (unless velocity drops because your push-off isn't there), don't hold your balance point, you miss high, fly open with your front shoulder the ball misses away, etc... its' all degrees, but it can be broken down pretty consistently.

Quote:
IF you REALLY play both games, you know the show is solid, but only solid, it is not at NBA 2K11 status, or stellar, or superior. Yet on this website, you read how its the greatest game...whatever.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but even 2k's commentary in previous years got repetitive real quick in their baseball title. I think from '09 on the Show has been in most people's conversation for sports game of the year. The depth in franchise mode, rule v, arbitration, etc...the depth keeps this game in people's system all year. 2k is fun, but not enough to keep engaged through multiple seasons of what their dev admitted last year was relatively random progression.

# 26 PhillsPhan26 @ 02/16/11 01:12 PM
Quote:
the users who post on this website have a 75-25 favor for the show, and with that kind of bias, anything said by the 2k guys, whether true or not, gets you guys to go into all out defend mode for the show. anyone that REALLY plays both games, knows that 2K is the more exciting, eye-popping game. IF you REALLY play both games, you know the show is solid, but only solid, it is not at NBA 2K11 status, or stellar, or superior. Yet on this website, you read how its the greatest game...whatever.
About the pitching mechanic, copying amongst developers has always happened, whether you are no.1 or no.2 ,if your game can use some of the competitions features and you can jack it, nuff said. But its amazing that the alleged "leader" is the one taking from the so called "inferior" title. Add to the fact that it is cowardly taking a safe approach with up-down as its basic mechanic, instead of fleshing out the inputs, I can see the shot taken as a good one. EA had tried to use small elements of the NBA 2K series to help the LIVE series, NFL 2K and Madden has had healthy doses of each others game in theirs, I get it, but if developers can be impressed by features in the other game, and actually like the other game, I'd like to see the same percentage in the fan responses. Most of the people I meet tell me they like MLB 2K the last two years, and that the show is good, but its ultra repetitive. I'll check both games out again this year.
2K is the more exciting and eyepopping game? Then you go on to bring NBA 2K1 into,what the hell does NBA 2K11 have to do with anything being discussed here?

# 27 thaSLAB @ 02/16/11 01:34 PM
Quote:
the users who post on this website have a 75-25 favor for the show, and with that kind of bias, anything said by the 2k guys, whether true or not, gets you guys to go into all out defend mode for the show.
I think you just did what you accused "The Show Guys" of doing... even going into other sports, and other developers.

Quote:
anyone that REALLY plays both games, knows that 2K is the more exciting, eye-popping game. IF you REALLY play both games, you know the show is solid, but only solid, it is not at NBA 2K11 status, or stellar, or superior. Yet on this website, you read how its the greatest game...whatever.
Again, this is a matter of opinion. Just like the people who prefer The Show over MLB 2K... just like the reviewers who rated The Show higher than NBA 2K. I won't go into the numbers, because after all, its a matter of opinion at the end of the day. And popular opinion is that The Show (here, and other places) is the title of choice, popular enough to feel that there is no room for 2K to talk...yet.

I personally don't think they can say anything, because its technically not their innovation to speak on.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 28 bonannogiovanni @ 02/16/11 07:39 PM
So 2K is not impressed by The Show's analog pitching. Instead I'm not impressed (totally disappointed) by 2k10 analog hitting and am concerned nothing's changed for 11. They should focus on making their own analog system better and better rather than making comments on a game they haven't even tried.

# 29 Knight165 @ 02/16/11 08:07 PM
Gold...pure gold.
I love you guys.

Who needs sitcoms when you have O.S.?

M.K.
Knight165

# 30 kehlis @ 02/17/11 12:58 AM
Thread has run it's course.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.