Home
News Post

Is EA Sports jumping back into baseball? Check out the article from Jon Robinson, over at ESPN The Gamer.

Quote:
"Taking a closer look at the deal between 2K Sports and Major League Baseball explains it all as the original third-party exclusive license only granted the rights to "simulation, arcade, and manager-style games on the current and next-generation Xbox, Nintendo, PlayStation, PC, and handheld systems." This opens up a loophole in the fact that digital games like EA Sports' recent "Madden NFL Superstars" and "FIFA Superstars" were not covered by the contract. And now, my sources are telling me that EA is in fact developing a new digital baseball game, complete with the MLB license, for Facebook."

Member Comments
# 21 Skyboxer @ 03/27/11 09:59 PM
Like 2K Football the longer the games been gone the better it seems to get. The Show is far above anything MVP ever was IMO. In any case another baseball game is fine by me.

# 22 econoodle @ 03/28/11 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
i still don't get it. Why in the world would ANYONE not welcome ANY company to produce a baseball game if possible. It's not as if the company has one dev team that works on every game. Heck, i'd be all for 100 different baseball games. Who cares? Choice is always a good thing and at the very least, every company might bring something to the table that another company like SCEA could look at and say "hey, that was a good idea. Lets impliment something along those lines" u know, like how they implimented meter pitching which MVP did years prior?

agreed.
its mind boggling to not want another baseball game out there.

# 23 DiddyGotGrillz @ 03/28/11 11:12 AM
I would love EA to take another shot at MVP baseball. MVP '05 is still the greatest baseball game ever created to date IMO.

# 24 Steve_OS @ 03/30/11 05:17 PM

# 25 e0820 @ 03/31/11 09:40 AM
I have a feeling that EA might pull another exclusitvity move this time with MLB and thats why SCEA went all in on this years The Show. Just a guess.

# 26 ThaShark28_316 @ 03/31/11 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by e0820
I have a feeling that EA might pull another exclusitvity move this time with MLB and thats why SCEA went all in on this years The Show. Just a guess.
They'd still be able to make the show, if that's what you were wondering.

# 27 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/31/11 03:57 PM
Quote:
Nope. Just sayin'.

# 28 e0820 @ 03/31/11 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark28_316
They'd still be able to make the show, if that's what you were wondering.
So your saying that EA is going to just take over 2k's agreement for exclusive 3rd party rights?

I hope your right, but EA is more aggressive then that.

# 29 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/31/11 04:27 PM
Quote:
So your saying that EA is going to just take over 2k's agreement for exclusive 3rd party rights?

I hope your right, but EA is more aggressive then that.
I do not think EA is going after any rights, personally. It is not economical anymore.

And they are realizing it as sales are starting to dip.

# 30 BatsareBugs @ 04/01/11 12:35 AM
Yep, and hasn't MLB stated that they wouldn't want to do another exclusivity deal? At the very least that's what I've read.

# 31 Setzer @ 04/17/11 11:03 PM
I just wanted to add that I would LOVE for EA to do another MVP game! Every year I give MLB 2K and The Show a try and every year I find myself going back to MVP '05 on the Xbox. The Show is getting better but still not close to MVP, imo.

# 32 Dark Matter @ 04/25/11 04:03 AM
I just wanted to say to those who think that if EA does make another MVP game, that it wouldn't be up to par...

...Are you crazy?

Do you really think they'd just let the game sit on the shelf and then all of a sudden just before the 2K's exclusive rights ran out, they'd THEN decide to work on it and release it on such short notice? Not to mention that they'd have to completely revamp everything to make it current gen had they done that.

The obvious answer is that they've been keeping it up to date for the past several years. Obviously not full time development, but I'm sure they kept it up to date enough so that when they knew it'd be coming back for sure, they can then swing into full development mode and sell a competitive game against 2K and SCEA. Additionally they did expand the series past 2005 (the NCAA games.)

As for the mechanics of MVP 05' love them or hate them... that was 6 years ago. Are you suggesting that at the time there was a game with better mechanics/more fun? Plus last time I checked the game also had sliders in case the results you were getting were not suitable for you. You could make the game either extremely hard or insanely easy. Example: The user who said they had to try to just throw a ball... You could change the pitch meter difficulty so that the yellow bar was almost invisible and you could lower pitchers overall accuracy. With those two all the way down, you'd be able to record your walk rate by innings.

Let's also not overlook all the innovations MVP brought to baseball games that are still used today. (other users pointed these out)

Lastly, even if you hated the series... Then don't buy it. Simple as that. This applies to anything. For example, I stay as far away as possible from 2K's games as possible (unless they make a good baseball game, which they haven't in years).

Anyway I hope they have a game ready for 2012.

# 33 Kenny Halt @ 05/02/11 12:09 PM
I hope it does. I really hope Owner mode would stay because it was my favorite mode. I remember player playing this game when i was 8 or 9 and loving it and playing it constantly, i don't even like baseball anymore and I still love and play this game now from time to time and was shocked when i saw how large a community there is behind it.

# 34 kingdevin @ 05/05/11 07:54 PM
Lets remember that Ben Brinkman isnt w/them any loger so we can only assume what EA would actually be doing here, I hope u are right though b/c i thought EA's baseball was prime!

# 35 Dark Matter @ 05/08/11 12:18 PM
I would like to state some features I'd like. Creating your own team is easily the one I want most as well as a true create a player feature. MLB the Show's character creation is great. But there is plenty of room for improvement.

But yeah, I truly am most interested in creating my own team. I'm sure I am not the only one who would spend the countless hours making the stadium and building the team and perhaps creating every single player on the team. One good reason is that with your own team you don't have to worry about keeping the Rosters in line with real life as you might be inclined to if you chose to play as a real team.

I know this is pushing it but creating an entire new division or league would make me play it for perhaps weeks non-stop.

...I should be writing all my recommendations to EA. Actually I could probably just send them my first thread I made here. : P

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.