Home
Madden 12 News Post

Last night Peter Moore announced at the EA Sports Season Opener event that Madden NFL 12 would be releasing on August 30 rather than August 13. This announcement seemed peculiar given the fact that the game has always released on August 13. It also only fueled speculation because there are the potential issues with an extended NFL lockout and key Tiburon developers leaving the Madden team in the middle of the development of this year's game.

However, after speaking with EA Sports PR representative Rob Semsey, it seems like more a case of bad timing than anything else. The release date will actually continue to be August 30 beyond just this year. The thought process behind the move seems to be to sync Madden up with the start of the real NFL regular season.

Obviously, other potential factors like giving NCAA Football a bit more space to collect sales before Madden releases should be taken into consideration, but the overall sense was this was not a decision that was made overnight, but rather one that the team had wanted to make for quite some time.

From my perspective, this makes a lot of sense considering Peter Moore went out of his way last night to point out that he thought the improved sales of Tiger 12 could at least be partially attributed to how close the real Masters was to when Tiger 12 released. Tapping into the excitement of the upcoming real sports season seems to be something EA really wants to focus on across all its sports brands moving forward, so it would not shock me to see other release dates slightly tweaked in the future.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 RedZoneD25 @ 04/15/11 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Unfortunately it won't change anything in that regards because the debug/patch time will probably not changed.
Well I'm sure they wouldn't have it sitting ready to ship for two weeks. The game usually goes gold a month before release, which gives them a little extra time if they choose to work on something minor.

# 22 roadman @ 04/15/11 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
Well I'm sure they wouldn't have it sitting ready to ship for two weeks. The game usually goes gold a month before release, which gives them a little extra time if they choose to work on something minor.
Phil mentioned it gives them extra time to polish it up.

# 23 ODogg @ 04/15/11 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Phil mentioned it gives them extra time to polish it up.
Yeah, they will extend the dev time, not the debug time with the extra time. And remember they only actually get extra time with it this year (aug 13, 2010 to aug 30, 2011), because starting next year the dev cycle will be the same (aug 30, 2011 to aug 30, 2012)...

# 24 bukktown @ 04/15/11 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGW88
Madden NFL 12 would be releasing on August 30 rather than August 13.
Right. I get that M12 will be Aug 30. But the title implies that all future Maddens will release on Aug 30. Which would be odd IMO because release days usually don't happen on a Saturday.

# 25 illwill10 @ 04/15/11 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
Right. I get that M12 will be Aug 30. But the title implies that all future Maddens will release on Aug 30. Which would be odd IMO because release days usually don't happen on a Saturday.
I guess it will be the last Tuesday of August

# 26 mercalnd @ 04/16/11 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
Similarly, they said Madden was always released on the 13th in recent years which is also inaccurate. It was the second Tuesday of August, except the 20th anniversary edition which came out on a Friday.

# 27 Senator Palmer @ 04/16/11 10:24 PM
Previous Madden release dates:

Madden 11 August 10, 2010 2nd Tuesday
Madden 10 August 14, 2009 2nd Friday
Madden 09 August 12, 2008 2nd Tuesday
Madden 08 August 14 2007 2nd Tuesday
Madden 07 August 22, 2006 4th Tuesday
Madden 06 August 8, 2005 2nd Monday
Madden 05 August 9, 2004 2nd Monday
Madden 04 August 11, 2003 2nd Monday

# 28 Exonerated @ 04/17/11 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Doesn't matter when it's released... It will be in my PS3/360 within 30 minutes either way.

Later
It'll be in mine 10-14 days from release date.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.