Home
Madden 12 News Post

Multiple sources are reporting that Cam Weber, EA's General Manager of Football, is touting a new 3-year plan for Madden, starting with Madden NFL 12.

Didn't Ian have a 3-year plan for an in-depth franchise mode and "Everything you see on Sunday" that was supposed to be fulfilled with Madden 12? Hopefully, he didn't leave because some suits or this new GM put MUT, Gameflow or the Need for Speed type Autolog feature ahead of Ian's vision.

Let the speculation begin...

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 roadman @ 04/16/11 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
I dunno', but to me, it's been baby steps forward. There are still SO many things fundamentally wrong and broken or never implemented that it's no better than 09 was.
I need to respectfully disagree. The worst years for me playing Madden were 07. 08, and 09. To say that 11 is no better than 09 is completely false.

People love to bring out the negatives, but don't like to show the positives either. Am I saying that 11 is the cat's meow? Heck no, there a lot of areas that need improvement.

# 82 canes21 @ 04/16/11 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I need to respectfully disagree. The worst years for me playing Madden were 07. 08, and 09. To say that 11 is no better than 09 is completely false.

People love to bring out the negatives, but don't like to show the positives either. Am I saying that 11 is the cat's meow? Heck no, there a lot of areas that need improvement.
I don't think he was saying Madden 11 wasn't better than 09. He was just saying how from 09 to 10 to 11 there was no real big jumps. Sure you can tell a difference from each game, but nothing really worth mentioning. The main difference from 09 to 11 is Gus Johnson and well, he sounds downright terrible in the game.

# 83 roadman @ 04/16/11 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I don't think he was saying Madden 11 wasn't better than 09. He was just saying how from 09 to 10 to 11 there was no real big jumps. Sure you can tell a difference from each game, but nothing really worth mentioning. The main difference from 09 to 11 is Gus Johnson and well, he sounds downright terrible in the game.
He did say that 11 was no better than 9. That's what I was reading into.

Run blocking and pursuit angles, and defense are much much improved.

# 84 jjsmitty34 @ 04/16/11 03:11 PM
Well, this isn't a good thing to hear.. I really hope everything works out for Madden and EA.

I'm sticking to NCAA for my football fix, like I have the last 4 years..

# 85 RGiles36 @ 04/16/11 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_24
For what its worth 10 11 and I'm sure 12 were a very successful 3 year plan to me. Compared to Madden 09. Its not where where the franchise needs to be but at the very least 3 years ago Madden was nowhere near good as it is today.
Agreed.

I don't see how anyone could have a legit negative reaction to this. All this 3 year plan stuff confirms they have a plan in place for the next few editions of Madden. It doesn't mean they are looking to reinvent the wheel.

# 86 jWILL253 @ 04/16/11 10:01 PM
Some of you guys need to REEEEELAAAAAAAAXXX.

Someone finally says, "Hey, lets calm our consumers and investors down, and re-assure them we have a plan in place to make Madden better, and tell them how.", and everyone takes this as "Wait until 2014 to buy Madden."

Bet you if they hadn't said this, y'all would be like, "Things can't be good, EA needs to say something!"

The sky is always falling around here...

# 87 Exonerated @ 04/17/11 12:52 AM
11 is better than 09.

# 88 roadman @ 04/17/11 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
Again....opinion. I get a kick out of people stating their opinions as fact. Personally, I try to never do that. We have a right to our opinions...but they ARE just that, personal opinions.
Well, you came off stating that 11 is no better than 9, which came off as fact to me.

I know it's my opinion, that is what message boards are for. I've also mentioned that Madden 11 still has a ways to go before I'm totally satisfied.

That is why all opinions are subjective, as Rgiles said, even SIM players can't agree on everything.

# 89 swanlee @ 04/17/11 10:10 AM
I think Madden as we knew it is pretty much dead, The last chance Madden had for anything resembling a decent football game was when Ian took over and he was not able to deliver. This 3 year plan stuff is just an excuse to only change a couple of things each year.

This console gen is stretching out a lot longer than expected so we are going to be stuck with this same graphic and animation engine for 3 more years which was seriously flawed to being with.

I just hope the exclusive license runs out in time for Next gen NFL football to be made by someone else cause EA has shown without a doubt that they cannot make a realistic next gen football game and I'd hate them to be in control when the next consoles hit the market.

Things have stagnated so much since 2004 that I'm simply bored to death of football videogames. Backbreaker was a nice breath of fresh air but they screwed that game up with un balanced gameplay but at least it was something different and a step in the right direction

# 90 squadron supreme @ 04/17/11 05:39 PM
If this three year plan doesn't include some type of real time physics then it means nothing to me. With the longevity of this console generation it shouldn't be hard to make a game engine that maximizes the ability of the consoles. Backbreaker even with its numerous flaws had an engine at its basic core that was better than anything grapically or animation wise Madden has ever done.

# 91 Senator Palmer @ 04/17/11 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL10
Some of you guys need to REEEEELAAAAAAAAXXX.

Someone finally says, "Hey, lets calm our consumers and investors down, and re-assure them we have a plan in place to make Madden better, and tell them how.", and everyone takes this as "Wait until 2014 to buy Madden."

Bet you if they hadn't said this, y'all would be like, "Things can't be good, EA needs to say something!"

The sky is always falling around here...
Well, they haven't exactly told anyone HOW yet... unless I missed something. This was the only substantive quote in the initial article...

Quote:
Weber is doubling the size of the core football development team, and also plans to invest heavily in the franchise's web infrastructure over the next few years.
It was basically and announcement about an annoucement. Personally, I think they should have remained mum on a new plan until they had a few real nuggets to drop, because right now they've just left themselves open to speculation. You're right, they're probably in a no-win situation if they had said nothing, but I'm patient enough to wait for some real info vs. another vague "plan" that could be anything. They could interpret the sliding sales as cause to drop the sim angle and go back to a Madden 08 style of gameplay.

# 92 maddenps2 @ 04/18/11 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Well, they haven't exactly told anyone HOW yet... unless I missed something. This was the only substantive quote in the initial article...

It was basically and announcement about an annoucement. Personally, I think they should have remained mum on a new plan until they had a few real nuggets to drop, because right now they've just left themselves open to speculation. You're right, they're probably in a no-win situation if they had said nothing, but I'm patient enough to wait for some real info vs. another vague "plan" that could be anything. They could interpret the sliding sales as cause to drop the sim angle and go back to a Madden 08 style of gameplay.
Neither of those 2 Maddens were sim, and neither were that good imo.

# 93 carnalnirvana @ 04/18/11 09:34 AM
three year plans dont scare me, i just feel they dont know where the work has to be focused on.

i am starting to feel even 10 years wont be enough

IMO in madden's glory days it was focused on one goal offline gameplay and yearly that was the only focus so it got much attention.

gaming evolved and brought more areas of focus to devs, online, dlc,patches, so now fine tuning is harder. Never again will 12 months be dedicatd to gameplay tuning there's alot of work in other areas....

until ea says "this year there will be no new features just tuning gameplay smoothing out bugs and improving interactions" its unfair to expect great gameplay. other companies get bata's and time after to deliver, madden needs more time.....

# 94 oneamongthefence @ 04/18/11 09:43 AM
You bring up a great point carnal. And this is the fundamental flaw of most yearly releases. There's so many more areas of work compared to a few years ago. And it seems more companies are also downsizing for various reasons. Although there are other sports titles furthur along in many aspects than Madden I always feel like Football in General is harder to emulate in video games compared to basketball and baseball. So much more is happening on field. Also it didn't help that next gen Madden were built on weak legs initially.

# 95 roadman @ 04/18/11 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-SKI
this is off subject, but if the plan is in place why are we still waiting on details for madden 12 and its almost may?
Well, because we were told about a month ago the plan for releasing information with dates included. The first one is less than 2 weeks away.

http://www.ea.com/madden-nfl/blog/playbook-blog

# 96 jeremym480 @ 04/18/11 12:06 PM
Cool, they have a plan. That's great. I'm pretty sure every sports game has some sort of plan for the future in place. If not, I'd be worried.

# 97 STLRams @ 04/20/11 02:42 PM
That comes off to me as they are going to add stuff here and there for the next 3 years, hold back on stuff each year, and then finally with Madden 15 we may possibly be blown away. I don't like this strategy. I want to be blown away by Madden 12. I was blown away when I played MLB the Show 10 moving from 09, I was blown away by NBA2K11, moving from NBA2K10. Heck not rehash old stuff but I was blown away by Madden 05 moving from Madden 04. I was also blown away by NFL 2K5 ofcourse. I guess all we can speculate what this means, but this is how this comes off to me. The 3 year plan just scares me.

# 98 KuruptOwnz @ 04/22/11 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
That's the spirit. Show them you mean business with your business. Not posts on a message board.
After reading the rants of everyone; this by far is the best post of this ENTIRE thread!

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.