Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

Armed with a notebook full of questions and the collective weight of the OS football community on my shoulders, I entered the Los Angeles Convention Center this morning on a mission. After some solid playtime and a couple Q&A sessions later, I am now confident that 2011 has the potential to be one of the best football gaming years we've seen in recent memory.

However, before I begin I need to get one thing out of the way. I was told by an EA rep that the reason NCAA Football 12 was shown behind closed doors was to better showcase Madden, removing any possible distraction to this year's NFL offering which was front and center of EA's main display. The only other game playable on the show floor was the new Need for Speed game. FIFA 12, NHL 12, and SSX all joined NCAA 12 in being shown privately.

Read More - OS at E3: NCAA Football 12 Preview

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 BenGerman @ 06/08/11 12:42 PM
This put my mind at ease. All of that sounds terrific. Hopefully some changes to sliders or a patch will fix the shotgun running.

# 22 schumj @ 06/08/11 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by franko3219
I understand that, but Oregon was Oregon last year too and ASU held them to 3.4 YPC. I also did not read anything about the QB making dumb plays/bad pitches, in fact I read the opposite.

I am not blindly sticking up for the game yet as I have not even played it and truth be told I too am a little concerned, but if ASU's defense is rated evenly with Oregons offense or better, Oregon should not be running all over ASU's defense.
First off I must say I have no clue how the game will play. But you are completely right that Oregon shouldn't run all over ASU. In fact Oregon struggled to get their running game going against most good defenses. That is dating all the way back to the OSU Rose Bowl two years ago. Although they are a dynamic and exciting run team, they have not proven they can run the ball on any "great" defenses.

On an optimistic note 1-2 ypc would be an upgrade over last years game. In some games I could hold the cpu to less than 20ypg on 35 carries.

# 23 The JareBear @ 06/08/11 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumj
First off I must say I have no clue how the game will play. But you are completely right that Oregon shouldn't run all over ASU. In fact Oregon struggled to get their running game going against most good defenses. That is dating all the way back to the OSU Rose Bowl two years ago. Although they are a dynamic and exciting run team, they have not proven they can run the ball on any "great" defenses.

On an optimistic note 1-2 ypc would be an upgrade over last years game. In some games I could hold the cpu to less than 20ypg on 35 carries.
So you're saying that any team with ASU's defense or better shouldn't have to worry about playing one of the fastest, most explosive offenses in the game? Come on guys. And yes, 1-2 would be an improvement but is it good enough?

# 24 bad_philanthropy @ 06/08/11 02:18 PM
It's one thing if the defense was playing well and stopping Oregon's run game, but if it's more of the same terrible QB play on the zone reads then that's disappointing to hear.

# 25 schumj @ 06/08/11 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
So you're saying that any team with ASU's defense or better shouldn't have to worry about playing one of the fastest, most explosive offenses in the game? Come on guys. And yes, 1-2 would be an improvement but is it good enough?
No what I am saying is.... well nothing. I am trying to find a reason as to why they were unable to run other than the fact it is still broken. But on separate note I don't think their offense is as explosive when facing any type of defense. But that is irrelevant. It appears the computer ai still can't run out of shotgun, which is very disapointing.

# 26 SlickRick11 @ 06/08/11 02:44 PM
great review

# 27 franko3219 @ 06/08/11 02:50 PM
Quote:
I am not saying that either, all I am saying is I do not think we can say the computer shotgun running is broken yet. First of all, Oregon's offense/running game is not a 5 YPC running game, it is a feast or famine type running game based off of big plays. Oregon knows that they are going to have more running plays where they are going to lose/gain minimal yardage, what Oregon is looking for are those 4 or 5 runs a game that nets 40+ yards. Secondly, he was only able to play one quarter, who's to say Oregon's run game wouldn't have picked up in the other 3 quarters? Again, I am not defending the game yet, I just believe that we have not seen enough yet to make that judgement.

# 28 The JareBear @ 06/08/11 02:52 PM
Well I guess the bottom line is, either way, you're right that we don't know for sure yet. Even the demo won't show us for sure since they make changes after the demo was submitted. Just have to wait and see. The last thing I want to say, and probably just to justify to myself why I am a little freaked about it, is that more than one person has said the same thing...

# 29 schumj @ 06/08/11 02:55 PM
Quote:
Well I guess the bottom line is, either way, you're right that we don't know for sure yet. Even the demo won't show us for sure since they make changes after the demo was submitted. Just have to wait and see. The last thing I want to say, and probably just to justify to myself why I am a little freaked about it, is that more than one person has said the same thing...
I understand your concerns.

# 30 LambertandHam @ 06/08/11 02:57 PM
Did you try play action and see if the guy ran back thirty yards?

I kid, I kid.

Good to see some new NCAA 12 impressions, with Madden hogging the spotlight.

# 31 TheTodd84 @ 06/08/11 03:19 PM
Man, the shotgun running news is such a downer. I was looking so incredibly forward to this game with all of the new improvements such as custom playbooks and coaching carousel. But, if running out of the shotgun is all but for naught, then my custom playbooks will be a lot less beefy than they should be. I am a total spread option guy and love to make the opponent guess and try and figure out where the ball is going and what not. I can't do that if I can't run out of the shotgun. And it honestly sucks playing the CPU and playing a team like Oregon that has the possibility of completely taking apart my defense and holding them to 20 yards on 30+ carries and winning 56-7, even on heisman. It just isn't fun that way and really takes away from the realism of the game.

Again, it is too early to say that this is broken or a game-killer, it is just really depressing info. Especially since over the past 4-5 years in college football, if you look at the top 5-10 rushing teams in the nation, there have been 0-1 pro-style offenses in there. It is almost always a spread-option team or a triple-option team. It is rarely a base, pro-style set with a few exceptions. This should be accounted for in the game. Look at auburn last year. Most of Cam Newton's runs were not broken plays, they were designed runs or zone read plays. If you can't run out of the gun, how can I fully utilize gus malzahn's innovative spread-option?

Not saying it's truly a problem, but it is very concerning and HAS TO BE addressed before release.

# 32 knighthawksfan @ 06/08/11 07:22 PM
Go Hawkeyes in 2011 baby!!!!! If anyone is interested in an online dynasty for ncaa football 12 on xbox live hit me up on my wall or on my gamertag knighthawksfan. See ya'll in july bro

# 33 The JareBear @ 06/08/11 07:38 PM
Well we got our answers as far as team ratings....

Oregon A+ offense

ASU B+ defense

Sorry guys but it looks like Oregon should have been moving the ball better than they were in the preview

# 34 franko3219 @ 06/08/11 07:54 PM
Quote:
Well we got our answers as far as team ratings....

Oregon A+ offense

ASU B+ defense

Sorry guys but it looks like Oregon should have been moving the ball better than they were in the preview
I seen that too, but I still think it is too early to tell. From what I have read in the video comments from the Auburn Alabama video (I still have not been able to watch the video yet) they were saying that there were some nice shotgun runs. Again, I cannot confirm this as I have not been able to watch it yet, but this was just one (most likely 2 - 5 minute) quarter.

# 35 The JareBear @ 06/08/11 09:15 PM
From Hellisan:

"My concern remains with the cpu offense. I think we’re going to have to help them out with sliders, or you might see a lot of leagues running Heisman sliders this year. I just never gave up much in the way of points, and especially against teams that run the spread offense, you just don’t see a lot of successful strategy out of them.

Random Notes

Kickoffs and punt returns are more varied, and I think you’ll see some touchdowns out of the special teams this year even in user games. You see some get blown up but the holes could open up in a bigger variety of ways and locations.
When a player gets injured there is now a very clear “re-injury risk” note and you can see the OVR of the guy behind him to determine if you want to put him in. At first I thought you could scroll through a few guys behind him on the depth chart but it’s just the guy directly behind him.
If a defender is not facing the ball carrier, he cannot initiate a tackle attempt. This will lead to the occasional Barry Sanders style run where a defensive guy gets turned around. I think the great run highlights will be a lot cooler this year.
line
Playing NCAA and watching Madden I noticed that people that were constantly floating outside the pocket weren’t having any success. I stumbled upon one Madden game that was in the 3rd quarter and scoreless. Both guys had the typical Madden offense going and were not able to get anything going. I’m not saying that this problem is solved for sure because I don’t know but it doesn’t seem that the D breaks down when you bring a QB outside the pocket, and the line can generally break free much more quickly around the edge than on the interior.
The game manual is now available right in the game menus. Does this mean there will be no manual with the game? I don’t know. But it’s a nice little feature.
The indoor practice area still is not accessible when practicing from dynasty mode."

# 36 NDAlum @ 06/08/11 09:28 PM
All I know is that I'm going to see what plays the CPU QB's suck at running, and eliminate those entirely from their playbook.

I will create the maximum number of offensive playbooks and assign them accordingly.

# 37 The JareBear @ 06/08/11 09:29 PM
thats a good idea

# 38 dennis580 @ 06/08/11 11:05 PM
There were times last where teams just absolutely stuffed Oregon's running game. Sure most of the time Oregon's offense was a absolute juggernaut, but there were other times where teams just seemed to have Oregon completely figured out, and they couldn't do anything in the running game.

# 39 franko3219 @ 06/09/11 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
All I know is that I'm going to see what plays the CPU QB's suck at running, and eliminate those entirely from their playbook.

I will create the maximum number of offensive playbooks and assign them accordingly.
I will be upset if this is what has to happen to make the CPU call good plays. I do not buy the game to put an extra 2 - 3 weeks into sliders, rosters, and playbooks to get the game to be challenging without feeling cheated.

# 40 NDAlum @ 06/09/11 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by franko3219
I will be upset if this is what has to happen to make the CPU call good plays. I do not buy the game to put an extra 2 - 3 weeks into sliders, rosters, and playbooks to get the game to be challenging without feeling cheated.
I also want the game to be ready to go out of the gates but that's not reality. I know that adjustments will need to be made to help the CPU be more efficient with their offense.

I am going to work on this while rosters are completed

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.