Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Destructoid has posted their NBA 2K12 hands-on preview.

Quote:
The game’s AI has also seen a lot of tweaking. For example, the same zone defense scheme that the Dallas Mavericks used to best the Heat now plays much more smartly. One of the complaints about defensive players in last year’s game was their Spidey Sense-like ability to reach and arm out and deflect a pass without even looking. The team admitted that it was a band-aid meant to discourage players from running their player down court before their team was going to get a rebound and then having the rebounder pass the ball to the now-wide-open man down court. In NBA 2K12, issues like that have had time to be addressed much more thoroughly.

The AI system has been completely rewritten to be more dynamic. In last year’s game, the AI would run specific plays, which could often lead to the player figuring out the plays and making the appropriate jumps on the ball over and over. Worse still, when the AI had its play snuffed out, they would default to a generic brand of basketball intelligence, defaulting to simple plays. The new system is now much more divergent, giving the AI more options if their primary options aren’t available. This keeps the players on their feet and makes the AI more of a challenge as well as more like a human opponent, which should do well to extend the life of the game.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 NINJAK2 @ 07/22/11 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMstyle
love the info!

all i need now is to hear about:

1) ONLINE!

2) how defenses will make players pay for pump faking by stealing the ball and poking it away (way overdue)

3) more deflections out of bounds and less steals (made the game sloppy)

4) blocking fouls (non-shooting) on the perimeter when D. Howard tries to keep up with CP3.

5) more intuitive shot stick (pushing toward the basket should always have a player continue his momentum to the hoop, away from the basket should result in jumpshots/fall-aways...if i'm called for a charge. SO BE IT.)

6) contextual moves to back defenders up for open jump-shots (jabsteps and iso-dribbles anyone?)

7) auto-defense (clicking R3 should have the cpu control your defender until you get the defensive rebound)

8) how shooting with the buttons isn't higher percentage this year (shot-stick is the future, PLEASE dont punish us for using it)
Fixed.. great list by the way..

# 62 KyotoCarl @ 07/22/11 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMstyle
thanks dude. know what i forgot? (its not gameplay so its not priority) end of qtr/half/game buzzer beaters: we gotta see a better on-court and crowd reaction.

ray allen bailed me out a couple times with last second shots and that part of the game still needs tweaking. i trust 2k though.

i love online (and want it to be better) but my favorite two are: 6) contextual moves to back defenders up for open jump-shots (jabsteps and iso-dribbles anyone?)

4) blocking fouls (non-shooting) on the perimeter when D. Howard tries to keep up with CP3.

it kills me when i've got Rondo/Pierce isolated with a BIG and i can't beat them off the dribble or draw a foul (happens to Pierce more) and when i try to break them down/back them up and shoot they block my shot. Rondo is pretty good at getting to the basket but we need more reasons to shoot open jumpers and non-shooting fouls in the game and being able to potentially put people in foul trouble (something we never see) is pretty valuable to me, honestly.
Good points but there is a wishlist thread for things like this already.

# 63 DemiGodzillla @ 07/22/11 02:07 PM
Quote:
One of the complaints about defensive players in last year’s game was their Spidey Sense-like ability to reach and arm out and deflect a pass without even looking. The team admitted that it was a band-aid meant to discourage players from running their player down court before their team was going to get a rebound and then having the rebounder pass the ball to the now-wide-open man down court.

Why would you admit to that? That doesn't give me hope, it just lets me know the team cuts corners in certain areas. I'm glad it's gone (hopefully), but I'm sure there are other areas that still have their "band aids". Either way this game will be great

# 64 TalenT @ 07/22/11 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos1ted
^^^ Yeah, 2K8 was the last NBA 2K that I played online consistently. Everything just worked well in that particular game online. To me, I felt I won the games I should have won and lost the games I should have lost. Too many times in 2K11 I've lost games that I know I've should have won because of faulty game mechanics which rewarded less skilled users who played recklessly.
This! I played an online game last night and the guy played like it was a pick up game...I lost interest and just started wingin' it myself...I beat him by like 17. I feel as though the game rewards you for playing idiotic a little too much.

# 65 VDusen04 @ 07/22/11 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiGodzillla
Why would you admit to that? That doesn't give me hope, it just lets me know the team cuts corners in certain areas. I'm glad it's gone (hopefully), but I'm sure there are other areas that still have their "band aids". Either way this game will be great
I actually respect an admittance of that nature. A lot of us can tell when things are band-aided and a lot of us understand that teams are working hard to make the best game possible but just don't have the means (or time within a production cycle) to fix everything to how they see fit. Therefore, I much prefer an up front approach in contrast to a random excuse that's not true at all and smells terribly fishy. To me, they're real with consumers because a trust has developed where we know and can expect them to do their best to make things right for us.

# 66 rockchisler @ 07/22/11 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
Madden needs more pressure sensitve passing too lol. Honestly for Madden, I think it should be something like if you hold the button down all the way through the passing information (meaning you don't let go until the ball is released), then it's a bullet. If you tap it, it's a lob. And if you press it but release it before the release of the ball, it's thrown like a normal pass.

But back on topic, god I can't wait for this game. I just hope they finally make white people's hair semi-realistic lol. And of course some of the other things I've mentioned elsewhere (the way defenders defend a guy that is running off of screens, the lack of flow in the pick and roll/pop game, more specific defensive adjustments, etc.)
The passing in the game needs to be as important as shooting..how many times u see a opponent mash turbo get bumped in the back court and still make a bullet 50 foot pass to a semi covered man..SOOOOOOO UNREALISTIC...IT IS A IMPOSSIBLE PASS TO MAKE..

# 67 syncinatti @ 07/22/11 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncinatti
What 2k needs more than anything is pressure sensitive passing like Madden. Tap for lob, hold for bullet. Lob pass over the defender fronting their man. Quick bullet pass before the defense is in position.
Oh, also the BOUNCE pass. Basically give us the option to choose which pass to make in order to avoid the defender. That way we won't have to worry about defenders deflecting too many passes. If you throw the ball where the defender can tip it then it SHOULD be tipped. I find when I have to "directional" pass to avoid the steal it pulls my teammate waaaay out of position. More control over the pass can do wonders in avoiding steals. Without having to dumb down the defender or make him oblivious.

# 68 Ike04 @ 07/22/11 04:46 PM
wow, great article. im liking this new physics idea, and the ball being live is something that the game has been missing for years and now finally has. im already hyped up for release day now!

# 69 rockchisler @ 07/22/11 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike04
wow, great article. im liking this new physics idea, and the ball being live is something that the game has been missing for years and now finally has. im already hyped up for release day now!
Yeah I like the ball being live, I dont care if it leads to 30 turnovers, it will make you play smarter..Now if we can get turbo mashing wild swing steal animation to always be a foul then we got something.

# 70 da ThRONe @ 07/22/11 04:54 PM
Anything that makes the game more organic I'm all for.

IMO the two keys to elite gameplay is organic action/tempo and individuality among players. 2K has been lending the way with individuality among players hopefully they continue to. However organic action tends to be a problem. Having new ball physics should go a long way in improving this.

# 71 Jano @ 07/22/11 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Anything that makes the game more organic I'm all for.

IMO the two keys to elite gameplay is organic action/tempo and individuality among players. 2K has been lending the way with individuality among players hopefully they continue to. However organic action tends to be a problem. Having new ball physics should go a long way in improving this.
True that man! This looks like the year VC is going to nail both of those Demo day should be pretty fun. Can't wait to just get a taste of these improvements.

# 72 Bryzine21 @ 07/22/11 05:34 PM
More fancy passing please.

# 73 Dwadefan @ 07/22/11 06:41 PM
Ronnie on Haslem's braids:

"The hair will be relevant to the player the last time we saw him. More on that as we go along."

# 74 Nokstar @ 07/22/11 07:08 PM
alot of people in here are talking about everything BUT what i really wanted improved...i hope that doesnt mean i wont see these improvements because they pay attention to the feedback here lol.

I want a REAL post game. Ok..i know everybody loves the post game...but to me it still feels very "canned". I want every move on both offense and defense to be dynamic. None of the canned up and unders that ALWAYS work because the animation allows it to. I want real moves where you can REALLy fake out a defender and they are in complete control of their reaction and consequences. This is what i want the MOST...not even just in the post but in the game in general.

I want "faster" animations that would actually fake out a human controlled defender. I can imagine this being very hard..u would have to balance the speed and controls on both offense and defense to perfection to get this. I guess i can only dream.

# 75 Goffs @ 07/22/11 07:27 PM
I'm with you on that nok...i hate how the defender just goes through the motion while the offensive player is pulling off the moves...

# 76 jWILL253 @ 07/22/11 10:41 PM
I'm always a skeptic when I hear "all-new physics engine" (NBA Elite, anyone?). I need to see it in action first...

# 77 Jano @ 07/22/11 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
I'm with you on that nok...i hate how the defender just goes through the motion while the offensive player is pulling off the moves...
Same here was one of the things I liked bout "that" demo. It'll be interesting to see how all of this stuff works out. Can't wait to see some footage see all of this in action.

# 78 Goffs @ 07/23/11 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL10
I'm always a skeptic when I hear "all-new physics engine" (NBA Elite, anyone?). I need to see it in action first...
Da_Czar has pointed out not to really look to deep into this physics thing...im guessing 2k just added a ton more situational bump animations. Hopefully its nothing like THAT bump where you almost fall backwards....

# 79 TheMan16 @ 07/23/11 12:59 AM
please tell me the defenders don't bump you even when your running full speed at them

# 80 kolanji @ 07/23/11 01:16 AM
Quote:
I was also pleasantly surprised to see a letter rating system (F, B+, etc.) pop up after taking shots. A high letter grade doesn’t always ensure a made bucket, nor does a low letter preclude a possible bucket, but the system rates both how well you took the shot and the quality of the shot itself.
love the sound of this but i so hope that this also take effect on clutch factor and in blow out games where the leading team shots become harder to make(even wide open shots) n the losing teams shots all of a sudden start hitting to try to compensate for momentum.
another thing i hope is right with this new added feature is that a defender presence alone shouldn't affect the out come too badly with just his present because we all know HANDS DOWN MAN DOWN
Quote:
Speaking of adjusting your game, it also has a feature allowing you to adjust your play style on the fly, bypassing menus and keeping you in the action. With the system, you’ll be able to assign specific players a specific role, or quickly swap between playing philosophies (lock down the paint, pressure shooters, etc.), whether it’s just for the present play or for the rest of the game.
this is so cool to hear so am hoping that the commentators dont ruin surprises on defense with stuff like "they switch their defense to 3-2" or "their full court pressing"that was annoying when play against another human.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.