Home
Madden 12 News Post

It would be putting it nicely to say that some people were unhappy about Madden's Online Franchise mode not being updated this year. But since I had the chance to speak with EA designer Anthony DiMento about Online Communities, I figured it would probably be wise to ask about the oft-discussed Online Franchise mode as well.

Below you will find the excerpt from my interview that details what the thought process was going into the development of this year's online feature set:

Quote:
Operation Sports: There's a lot of people that are unhappy about not having any updates to Online Franchise mode this year, so was it a choice between Communities and Online Franchise this year, or was it nothing like that?

Anthony DiMento: I know everybody's excuse for Online Franchise is that they look at the numbers, and nobody plays it, and it's a vocal minority of guys. But at the beginning of the year, Ian's mandate (Ed. note: Ian Cummings is the former Madden creative director) was that we had to do something for Online Team Play (OTP). So if we're going to do something for OTP, it's got to be the Clubs feature -- that's in FIFA and NHL, basically what this whole foundation is built on. So there wasn't going to be time for Clubs and a full upgrade to Online Franchise, so rather than making a few minor tweaks to Online Franchise, we were able to manipulate the Clubs feature to create Communities -- you know create that head-to-head experience that goes along with all the ranked team play stuff that Clubs brings.

I mean I think what Online Franchise is all about from what I hear, and from my experience, is about playing together -- playing with your friends and playing against a group of guys you like playing with. And the biggest complaint we hear, other than it not being updated, is that it's really hard to schedule your time; that's been the problem here at the office, too. I have a Week 6 game, and I have one guy I have to play against. I'm just like, 'Hey, John, meet me online at 8:30. We're going to play our Week 6 game because the commissioner is going to advance the week tomorrow so we have to get this done.' And then either I have to work late and I don't it make in time, or he has to go pick up his wife at the airport or something like that. Guys just aren't able to coordinate.

It's frustrating already, so we felt like Communities is still giving people that experience they want playing together without having to worry about thinking about figuring out that I have to wait for that one guy. Now you can be in a situation where you can have 2,000, or if you're in five communities, 10,000 other guys potentially that you can get a game against, and people you want to play against. So it was a matter of priorities, too. Everybody plays ranked head to head, and we had more guys play OTP last year than we had play Online Franchise mode. Basically that is what it comes down to.
My Take: This explanation doesn't let EA off the hook for things that were said about improving Online Franchise mode well before this year, but it certainly seems wise to focus on the majority of football gamers first and foremost. In many ways, it reminds me of the way Criterion tends to do things with their online features. The folks at Criterion, who are responsible for the Burnout franchise and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, have had a great amount of success focusing on core online experiences that you are simply able to hop in and out of quite easily. Criterion's racing games sometimes get criticized because people look at them on the surface and see something that does not really look that deep. In the end, it's really more deceptive than anything. Something like Autolog is sometimes easy to dismiss at first glance because it's a part of every single portion of the game rather than being a set mode; the same goes for "Easy Drive" in Burnout Paradise. However, if you stick around and actually play the games, you realize the simplicity gives way to a complex idea that was just implemented in such a way that it's easy to enjoy.

If Online Communities works correctly, then it should simply become a part of the way you play the game online. Imagining a scenario where you can easily hop online and get a game in against likeminded gamers either by going head to head or by going through the OTP lobby would add so much to the Madden experience online. At the end of the day, it's about ease of use. If you hop online, and then have to deal with various barriers of entry before finding a quality game, you're going to be less likely to come back. If everything is streamlined, then you come back day after day because it's quick, easy and you're having fun.

Again, it doesn't solve the problems people have with already having a small, built-in group they want to play Online Franchise mode with on a daily basis, but it seems like that's a very small number of people in the grand scheme of things for EA. So if EA can bring more people back to the online features throughout the year, then it makes more sense that those formerly unconnected people will eventually want more from their experience, and thus a greater demand will pick up for more in-depth experiences like Online Franchise mode. Lastly, if Communities somehow enables EA to further streamline the ways you can connect with potential opponents, then that will help Online Franchise mode when it does inevitably get updated.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 dkp23 @ 08/01/11 03:22 PM
EA does not use logic, they make excuses...

Six years of broken promises and underwhelming recycled games...

New gen is coming soon...Scrap the current engine and build a BRAND NEW one...

# 82 XtremeDunkz @ 08/01/11 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp23
EA does not use logic, they make excuses...

Six years of broken promises and underwhelming recycled games...

New gen is coming soon...Scrap the current engine and build a BRAND NEW one...

no.....

Do you really want another next gen madden 06 with basically only play now and online ranked with no features?

# 83 TWOSILK @ 08/01/11 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageWonder
OK, first off, this post seems like it falls under the category of "bashing" another user. You aren't attacking his post, it sounded more like a personal attacks, which is against the TOS.

Secondly, are you one of the guys behind the league manager site? If so, I can see why it doesn't seem like you have a problem with EA neglecting OF, since your site would obviously get more traffic. Hence, it seems obvious who's side you would be taking here. If you are not who I think you are, then I apologize.

EDIT: And before anyone calls me a hypocrite, I am posting the above strictly based on user's posting history. Not attacking him personally.

Lastly, I just wanted to remind everyone of the EA hype train with the first official announcement of OF, and how important it seemed to them at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHnLU...e_gdata_player

Posted using the power of knowledge.
still trying to see how this was a "personal attack" he simply said he was part of the problem, not the solution, he did not make any of that personal, didnt insult him or anything, but I digress, the problem is not in the franchise, the problem is the BOLD FACED LIE that was told 2 games ago, ea said that we will update this as we go along, and 2 games later,.............. NOTHING!!!, had they not made that comment I dont think people woule be as outraged but they can update mut every week with something, I get the 3% that EA is saying that is playing the game, but I still say if you are going to include it then go all the way or dont include it, i mean if I told EA I was buying my game just to play online franchise(which really wouldnt be a lie) would I get a discount?? no, so why should i settle for half of a feature that I am spending my money to play???

# 84 MMurda @ 08/02/11 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageWonder
OK, first off, this post seems like it falls under the category of "bashing" another user. You aren't attacking his post, it sounded more like a personal attacks, which is against the TOS.

Secondly, are you one of the guys behind the league manager site? If so, I can see why it doesn't seem like you have a problem with EA neglecting OF, since your site would obviously get more traffic. Hence, it seems obvious who's side you would be taking here. If you are not who I think you are, then I apologize.

EDIT: And before anyone calls me a hypocrite, I am posting the above strictly based on user's posting history. Not attacking him personally.

Lastly, I just wanted to remind everyone of the EA hype train with the first official announcement of OF, and how important it seemed to them at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHnLU...e_gdata_player

Posted using the power of knowledge.
its all good...i def didnt see him as personally bashing me. the facts speak for themselves tho. and i do believe he's behind that League Manager stuff, so its no suprise he's cool about EA half stepping. I cant lie tho, LM looks like it does fill a void in the game and will def make it better. i thought about trying an ofranch using LM, but then when i thought bout how easy ncaa dyn is to run without the need for 3rd party sites, it just seemed like more of a headache than i felt like i should have to deal with when im paying $60. no other game in my library makes me have to use a 3rd party site to complete the experience.

funny thing is ive been on OS since like '08, so ive seen my fair share of EA practices since this developer interaction had started. they hype, under deliver, then make excuses as to why its unfinished, untuned, or things didnt even make the cut. its a crazy cycle.

the video above is very telling. "you've clamored for it, emailed us, tweeted, blogged, etc". so now all of a sudden theres no interest for it so its really not important or worthy of fixing and getting dev attention? but without an ounce of fan feedback or "importance" and totally going against their own reasoning, they give dev time to create MUT, 3vs3 online, and now online communities?? 3 new things that nobody cared about?? but then when madden 13 hype starts, theyll be first in line for the ofranch "its important and we're gonna go big" train...totally forgetting and glazing right over their own stance that its not worth it just a few months ago. wool-pulling at its finest...but they wont be pulling that wool over my eyes. if the game is good ill buy it no doubt. but just cuz im buying doesnt mean im a fool and forget what was told to me, so i along with others who are paying attention will immediately see this for exactly what it is...more EA BS which contributes to the negative way alot of ppl feel about the company.

oh well, it is what it is. i dont like what EA dishes up, i dont buy. simple as that. if im somehow part of the problem as he stated earlier, then so be it. my $60 will go to a deserving game whos pushing the bar and trying to innovate...not giving me excuses as to why we're still catching up to old gen games. Battlefield 3, FIFA 12, Gears3, RAGE, MW3, Uncharted 3, etc etc.

# 85 MMurda @ 08/02/11 11:18 AM
thanks tazdevil...we eye to eye on alot of stuff. yea i like the idea of online communities on paper as u said. but who are we kidding...we know its mainly like a clan hub and they allow sliders and rule sets to change if u launch games from there, and it keeps all ur stats isolated and under that hub that u play in. if i got madden, dont think for a minute i wouldnt try and get into the OS island and play there to have some good games with like minded ppl. while thats cool and all, after awhile i'd be bored.

i want the deeper experience, not just play a bunch of ranked gms that once their done, mean nothing but a leaderboard mark which ill never care about. communities unfortunately does nothing to help ppl who want to have a long term experience that mimics running a franchise against your friends and take that quest to try and get that superbowl ring. its 2011, why are we still stuck in the online feature set from 2004 plus 3vs3. kinda sad.

# 86 kbmnm247 @ 08/02/11 11:30 AM
Find it funny that TNT nor anyone else commented on the fact that it's pretty safe to say the first 40 million games played online wouldn't be online franchise games for obvious reasons. Did they ever take a look at the % after the first 40 million games?!

# 87 kbmnm247 @ 08/02/11 12:18 PM
What were you missing before that you are now getting with Communities? Stat tracking and sliders for online games?

# 88 dkp23 @ 08/02/11 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713

Would-be Online Franchise players think 3 years is a long time to wait. Since Madden 2003 we have been asking for something resembling Online Communities. Practically every Madden message board ever since is the result of EA having NOT provided this feature. 9-years later, this portion gets some development attention.

Ever since nfl2k5 came out with online franchise, every single year all i see on the boards was why madden couldnt put that in the game. The finally it was put into the game everybody was excited until everyone realized that it was a half @$$ attempt at online franchise. Didnt ian or some guys said they will focus on improving over the next two years as they didnt have enough time to make a full featured system for m10?

I havent been with the boards that long, but since i've been on the boards i consistently see the request for a full featured online franchise and also saw how upset everyone got when they found out the online chise had nothing new the last two years. I mean this thread is about how online franchise got screwed and everybody is pissed. I dont remember ever seeing everyone requesting a "community " type feature other than being able play a franchise and manage a franchise online with friends and others. I think that was the community people were referring to. Not a carved out version of play now.

The communities will not be much different than play now other than sliders, not sure how the experience will be different. People will join communities, people will play games against random people and people will resort to cheap tactics to pad their stats. That is the nature of the beast and communities will only carve out a piece of what goes on in normal ranked games. If anybody thinks that putting together a community of "SIM" players will change their experience, guess again as a lot of sim players resort to cheap tactics for a win....

# 89 XxRedBull4xX @ 08/16/11 03:16 PM
that is stupid, online franchise is about the most important thing in football, A SUPER BOWL!!!!! anybody who gets entertainment from a meaningless online ranked match has the attention span of an ant. there no fun at all because your playing for nothing, in online franchise you compete for mvp's division titles, conference title, and a super bowls so they need to realize that not improving online franchise is gonna hurt the sale of the game

# 90 PolkHigh33 @ 08/16/11 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxRedBull4xX
that is stupid, online franchise is about the most important thing in football, A SUPER BOWL!!!!! anybody who gets entertainment from a meaningless online ranked match has the attention span of an ant. there no fun at all because your playing for nothing, in online franchise you compete for mvp's division titles, conference title, and a super bowls so they need to realize that not improving online franchise is gonna hurt the sale of the game
Does not compute ..

# 91 Skyboxer @ 08/16/11 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxRedBull4xX
That's just simple minded thinking. I'm sure there are some people who think online franchise is stupid. Not everyone likes the same things.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.