Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

I got the opportunity to spend 2 ½ hrs with NBA 2k in downtown DC today and here are a few quick impressions:

First things first…the game reminds me a lot of NBA 2k11. I’m not saying that there are no significant differences between the two games but if anyone has any expectations that the game will be completely different than last years game, this isn’t the game for you. The good thing for me is I loved NBA 2k11 so I was very happy with the game I saw. FYI, the version of the game that I played is the retail version so what I saw is what will be released Oct. 4.

I watched two quick exhibition games before getting the chance to play (Miami/Dallas and Washington/Lakers). The first thing I noticed was the improved presentation. The stat overlays are improved (showing stats like the number of points Dirk had compared to the rest of his team) and multiple starting lineup screens (Some games show each team’s lineup individually and some show them on the same screen). I wasn’t able to get much of a feel for the game from watching the two games because one of the players was a newcomer when it came to 2k and struggled with the controls. Some small things I noticed was the new Washington Wizards court, redone faces for every player and head coach and that you can interact with the first row of the crowd (I noticed Lebron leap over the scoring table when going for a loose ball).

I finally got a chance to play the game and chose Oklahoma City v. Boston. First, the pregame presentation looks incredible. Highlights of each team and its stars to music from Bad v. Evil (Eminem and Royce da 5’9) and its very similar to what you see before a game on TNT or ESPN. Regarding the actual gameplan, the best way to describe it is player movement feels heavier and there is a CLEAR difference between point guards and big men when it comes to speed. Using Westbrook I was able to push the tempo off of Boston misses and create fast break opportunities. Rondo was doing the same thing to me. There is a realistic downside to that as if you attempt to push the pace and the defender is able to get back, you will find yourself turning the ball over. In a weird way while momentum is definitely more of a factor this yr, this is perhaps the fastest (and most fast break heavy) basketball game I’ve played. Now before you freak out, this isn’t a bad thing. The fast breaks were realistic (plenty of 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 breaks) and were a result of turnovers or a team failing to get back
Simply put the AI is much smarter and more realistic. I’ll give you two examples: One, I started the game killing Boston by running pick and rolls with Westbrook and Isos with Durant. By the middle of the first, Boston’s D started adjusting doubling Westbrook on pick and rolls and cheating with a second defender against KD. The defense against KD was great as you could see defenders like Allen sag off Sefolosha and help against KD but not fully commit to doubling KD.

The second example comes in the second quarter. I wanted to test the AI by running the same play a few times and seeing if it adjusted. I ran a pick and pop with Maynor and Cook. The first time I ran the play, Cook set the pick and popped to the 3 point line. Both defenders stayed with Maynor and he hit Cook for a wide open 3. Next offensive possession, I ran the same play and Cook’s defender stayed with him. I ran it one more time and this time both defenders stayed with Maynor but a third defender rotated to Cook. That’s the kind of AI I love….same play three times and three different results. I also love the new playcalling. 2k explained how it word on the last Insight but it adds a ton to the game.
Next I spent bout an hour playing My Player. I’ll be honest My Player isn’t my favorite mode and I rarely spend much time playing it but there are a good amount of improvements in this year’s version. The mode begins with you playing in a college all star game at Madison Square Garden. My biggest frustration with this mode in the past was I felt it sometimes penalized you for playing realistic basketball. For example, there were times when I would be penalized for taking a good shot just because I missed it. This year is different though. I probably shot 35% from the field but I rarely forced shots and was rewarded for playing good fundamental basketball.

The biggest change I saw was the addition of franchise interviews before the draft. Three GMs will meet with you and ask you a series of questions. The questions are team specific (Phoenix asked me how I felt about learning from Steve Nash and the Bucks asked me if I was OK with playing with Brandon Jennings) and depending on how you answer them determines your draft status (I told Phoenix that I would love playing with Nash and told the Bucks they should trade Jennings and draft me.). Next comes the draft and there is a little bit of drama to it. You have to watch the entire draft until your name is called (no skipping) and listen to David Stern (Stern’s real voice) call each name. Other additions include contract negotiations, players get paid a check each month and can use the money to purchase attributes or do activities to make them more popular (like pay for team activities).

The final mode I saw was the NBA’s greatest mode. I played the Bill Russell and Patrick Ewing games and they couldn’t be more different. The Russell game was slower paced and felt like a game from the 50’s. Plenty of set shots and animations similar to how players played during that time. Many of you have seen the presentation for this game (Black and white, grainy footage and 50’s style audio) and its very authentic. As much as I liked the Russell game, the Ewing game is what made me fall in love with the game. One, the presentation looks just like TNT’s presentation from the 90’s and the Garden is spot on with the correct court, constant organ sounds and even the chime after every Knicks basket.

A couple of takeaways from the Knicks game:

- Penny Hardaway is every bit of the unstoppable athlete that he was before injured.

- The Ewing/Starks combo is fun. Starks is a very streaky shooter though.

- Only AI mistake I saw was the Magic ran was it ran 3 plays for Dennis Scott in the post. I don’t remember Scott being a post threat.

At the end of the day, I was very excited about this year’s game. It’s a continuation of last years game but it has enough of improvements and additions to make it worth $60.

Here are some random thoughts:

- No rookies will be in the retail version but will be added by a roster update after the lockout is over. According to 2k, the transition will be seamless and the rookies’ names and references are already in the game.

- The announcing is once again incredible and Steve Kerr is a great addition. After listening to Madden’s horrible commentary, the commentary in 2k is a revelation.

- New replay angles to the Sprite Slam Cam

- The tipoff music starts much earlier this year so that bug is fixed (only people who used custom music care about this)

So I'll answer a few questions about the game in this thread. Here are the rules:

- No Association or Online questions because I didn't play either mode.
- If I don't respond to a question its because I don't have an answer, DO NOT REPOST OR BUMP YOUR QUESTION.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 261 Greene_Flash03 @ 09/10/11 06:28 PM
How was the defense chants this year? Was it close to Live's defense chant?

Also, I'm sure Wiz was sporting their new unis, was the color red, red? Not pinkish?

# 262 mlp111 @ 09/10/11 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmondj1992
Nick Young is good
agreed, way better than j. wall!

# 263 titans321 @ 09/10/11 11:06 PM
Quote:
Nick Young is good
He's good, okay, but he's not near as good as what he can do in the game. I once shot 8/9 from 3 with him on Superstar. Just not realistic.

# 264 XenoZograscope @ 09/10/11 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by titans321
He's good, okay, but he's not near as good as what he can do in the game. I once shot 8/9 from 3 with him on Superstar. Just not realistic.
Nick Young sure is stepping his game up this season though, he went off in the Drew League averaging 40pts a game, he has potential...can he be a efficient scorer for the Wizards though?!...

# 265 douglas2009 @ 09/11/11 12:49 AM
Sorry,I just dont read all the replies,so if I'm asking questions that someone has already asked,please ignore them.
and,what I care about most is that whether moving the player more "in control", rather than "outta control"?we all know that over years the player get sucked by D,that's nasty.
besides,could you do some skill tricks easier than last yr game,I mean, are moves like spin,half spin,in and out etc.more easier to activate? Do they even add new ones?
and the last one:is the collision just like 2k gays said,somewhat compare to the FIFA12 impact engine,is that look good or just couldnt be more the same as last yr.

# 266 ClevelandinDistress @ 09/11/11 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas2009
Sorry,I just dont read all the replies,so if I'm asking questions that someone has already asked,please ignore them.
and,what I care about most is that whether moving the player more "in control", rather than "outta control"?we all know that over years the player get sucked by D,that's nasty.
besides,could you do some skill tricks easier than last yr game,I mean, are moves like spin,half spin,in and out etc.more easier to activate? Do they even add new ones?
and the last one:is the collision just like 2k gays said,somewhat compare to the FIFA12 impact engine,is that look good or just couldnt be more the same as last yr.

Haha oh man don't want to be mean but you got to work on that English of yours. All the best

# 267 coolcras7 @ 09/11/11 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandinDistress
Haha oh man don't want to be mean but you got to work on that English of yours. All the best
Maybe his is not American not everyone speaks English here this site is international.

I have a question for aholbert32 did you notice the CPU using Superstar players to their full potential especial the PG, in 2k11 I never saw Rose play like Rose in the game.

# 268 samer naser @ 09/11/11 02:04 AM
ok i no this question has been asked alrdy, but i cant find it anywhere, i sersily went thru every page to see if i can find but i cant find it....the question is does kobe hav a new jumpshot????????sombody plzzzz awnser my question

# 269 DutchMastah7 @ 09/11/11 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer naser
ok i no this question has been asked alrdy, but i cant find it anywhere, i sersily went thru every page to see if i can find but i cant find it....the question is does kobe hav a new jumpshot????????sombody plzzzz awnser my question
I think he does, from what I've heard/seen.

# 270 samer naser @ 09/11/11 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchMastah7
I think he does, from what I've heard/seen.

who said wat to give you hints to think he does??? but i think he wil to because it seems like they hav changes eveyr1s jummper for ex: rose,lebron,wade,j wall, dirk, c butler, j kidd, that would be soo coll if every play in the game has a new jump shot, but idc as long as kobe has a new jumper, they got rosees jumper perfecly so i think they can get kobies perfecly too......hopfully

# 271 douglas2009 @ 09/11/11 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandinDistress
I will try to keep up with that.My native language is not English,so it's not easy for me to express myself in English.hope you don't mind.And can I ask a question,could you understand the last reply I wrote?Hope yes.
Anyway,I will practise more.

# 272 douglas2009 @ 09/11/11 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
Maybe his is not American not everyone speaks English here this site is international.
You're right.I'm not American,and I've never been abroad.I came to this forum by accident.
I always regret for not working hard at English back to school time,and now,I use English little in my daily life.
I can read,but not good at write.Maybe it'll get better if I discuss with you guys more.
Thx alot.

# 273 NY State of Mind @ 09/11/11 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas2009
You're right.I'm not American,and I've never been abroad.I came to this forum by accident.
I always regret for not working hard at English back to school time,and now,I use English little in my daily life.
I can read,but not good at write.Maybe it'll get better if I discuss with you gays more.
Thx alot.
LOL @ gays...*guys* anyways you write good enough. Practice makes perfect and atleast your trying unlike some people who will write nonsense and speak perfect English.

# 274 douglas2009 @ 09/11/11 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY State of Mind
LOL @ gays...*guys* anyways you write good enough. Practice makes perfect and atleast your trying unlike some people who will write nonsense and speak perfect English.
I didn't mean to use the word"gay",I know what it mean**,sorry
haha,I think it's very late in Amercia,so you wanna stay up all night?
But it's time for me to have supper.
Anyway,thx for encouraging

# 275 pumpedfor2k12 @ 09/11/11 07:12 AM
would you say it is generally easier or harder than 2k11?

# 276 redmondj1992 @ 09/11/11 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by titans321
when he gets hot he can

# 277 infam0us @ 09/11/11 04:27 PM
Quote:
when he gets hot he can
You can say that for most players except for people like Jared Jeffries, Stephen and Joey Graham

Nick Young should be rated like JR Smith although he should be rated a bit higher. They can give you great scoring performances on occasion but they lack bball IQ to take their games to another level.

# 278 wrestlinggod1 @ 09/11/11 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
You can say that for most players except for people like Jared Jeffries, Stephen and Joey Graham

Nick Young should be rated like JR Smith although he should be rated a bit higher. They can give you great scoring performances on occasion but they lack bball IQ to take their games to another level.
Yeah and that occasion is whenever the Wizards play the Heat. He's been lighting them up for the past two years. But yeah guys, I don't think aholbert is answering anymore questions.

# 279 miller31time @ 09/11/11 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeC
Dude is an absolute monster when it comes to scoring. Can't play a lick of defense though.
Just for clarification purposes, Nick is actually a very respectable man-to-man defender. His athleticism and wingspan allow him to stay with his man fairly well. His help defense is suspect but nothing terrible.

Young's problem isn't defense or efficient scoring; he does both well. His problem is that he's extremely one-dimensional on offense. He either takes a shot or doesn't. There's no passing (amounting to assists), there's no rebounding (both offensive or defensive), and he doesn't get to the line nearly as much as he should because of his reliance on the mid-range jumper.

Sorry about the rant but I've been a die-hard Wiz fan for 15+ years now.

# 280 redsrule @ 09/11/11 10:42 PM
Thanks for doing this
Just read all of these, your answers are making me want this game even more.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.