Home
FIFA Soccer 12 News Post

The FIFA Soccer 12 demo is available now for PS3 and 360. If you are looking for the PC demo, click the following link.

http://static.cdn.ea.com/fifa/u/f/fi...install_eu.zip

Game: FIFA Soccer 12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
FIFA Soccer 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 clipperfan811 @ 09/14/11 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
The player impact engine is cool but it is WAY over the top, almost arcadey. Sad thing is the refs don't call for hardly any of those collisions.

This hasn't been my experience at all. As far as the fouls go I've seen a lot more fouls called during my time with the FIFA 12 demo than PES 12. And the foul issue was one of my biggest complaints in my past FIFA experiences. This is one area of the game where I truly notice a genuine improvement.

# 162 clipperfan811 @ 09/14/11 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
I am really enjoying the action on the pitch this year. I have never been a fan of a broadcast type view, so what I did was change the camera view to "end to end", and customized it more by pulling the camera back further. At least for me this has really enhanced the game, improved my passing, and shooting when I am pushing to score.

Give it a go and tell me what you all think.

I like the look of the end to end camera this year too; I just wish you could toggle which end you were looking at so I could keep looking up the pitch after halftime.

# 163 ZoneBlitz @ 09/14/11 05:45 PM
After playing the PES2012 demo, I think I will be switching over to PES. From this (FIFA12) demo, it just doesn't feel like the game really requires you to know soccer to be successful. The AI doesn't seem as challenging. It seems to use more of a brute force approach to scoring.

Now, the game is good - no doubt. Graphics are great, for the genre, and I do like the Impact Engine. Plus, gameplay is fun. However, the AI is rather predictable.

So, it's a good game. I just will switch to PES for this year.

# 164 nikoemo @ 09/14/11 06:13 PM
has anybody noticed how difficult is to tackle the player with the sliding tackle,even when you are close to the player for some odd reason you miss the player on 80% of the time.i think that has something to do with the impact engine.

# 165 NaturalSelected @ 09/14/11 06:23 PM
Just wanted to mention that I whipped up a blog post on some of my thoughts from the demo, you can find it on OS here:

http://www.operationsports.com/Natur...s-ive-learned/

# 166 Bahnzo @ 09/14/11 07:09 PM
Man, I just can't get used to the new defending. I changed the buttons around to make it a bit more comfortable, but I really think EA has swung to far.

What FIFA has now would be great, if your AI teammates played good defense as well. But they don't. They sit back, lay off and loosely contain. There's no tight marking, no defending passes, no tackles, nothing. Because of this the CPU can pass around pretty much at will. I tried even using the "High Pressure" Quick Tactic, and it really changes nothing.

# 167 ZoneBlitz @ 09/14/11 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith121212
So basically what you're saying is that based on this demo, for a soccer noob like me that has no real team he follows, doesn't know the leagues or the players really, has no knowledge of any of the intricacies of the sport, FIFA '12 should be my game of choice?

I really might just end up getting FIFA '12 for the 360, and PES '12 down the road for the PC. It seems like both games offer good to great things in terms of soccer games.
Yes, both games are good.

# 168 PeruvianPlaya954 @ 09/14/11 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncguy
Did see one neat "little thing" - during the run of play made a tackle on the CPU and the player went down and stayed down. He got up a bit and limped around but then sat back down. The ref stopped play and the player went to the sideline. Play resumed via a dropball and the CPU played a long ball to my keeper to give me possession back.

Pretty cool.
Saw that today, too. Cool addition.

# 169 sventheone @ 09/14/11 08:40 PM
Xbox 360 demo

Couple of things after 2 games.
-The game doesn't seem slower the players feel more heavily weighted if that makes any sense.
-love the new default camera. The pitch looks slightly rounded at the top of the screen that gives more viable are.
-kicking the ball from the top of the screen to the bottom when passing the ball holding down the a button the ball bends to the right or left depending on which foot your player favors.
-when gameplay is moving quickly and the ball goes out of bounds there is a quick restart in most situation. Makes the game seem more realistic.
---
Just some initial observations

# 170 CM1847 @ 09/14/11 08:44 PM
Far from a FIFA expert, but I have been playing the FIFA 11 demo for the past few weeks and then tried the new one. The biggest difference in gameplay(aside from the obvious defending changes) is that the CPU will allow you to slowly work the ball in with less pressure, but they have made it much more difficult to take runs up the sideline.

I'm not sure if the speed has changed or if it has to do with the jockey/elbow/grab feature, but it is very difficult to get separation from the defenders if you try to sprint by them with the ball. This seems like a positive addition to me, I don't watch a whole lot of soccer, but it seems more true to life to have to build through solid passing than just sprinting by the defense.

Related, I've found it more difficult to play successful through balls this year.

# 171 ezio @ 09/14/11 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz
After playing the PES2012 demo, I think I will be switching over to PES. From this (FIFA12) demo, it just doesn't feel like the game really requires you to know soccer to be successful. The AI doesn't seem as challenging. It seems to use more of a brute force approach to scoring.

Now, the game is good - no doubt. Graphics are great, for the genre, and I do like the Impact Engine. Plus, gameplay is fun. However, the AI is rather predictable.

So, it's a good game. I just will switch to PES for this year.
I agree. I played the Fifa demo and then played the 2nd PES demo both on the ps3 and for me this year PES blows Fifa away. The problem with Fifa for me is that the teams still look go forward as soon as they win the ball. It was a little better on World Class as Barca actually kept some pessesion but they don't look to get the ball in midfield alot and they never ever will pass the ball backwards. Also, as othes have said it still plays too fast even on slow.

# 172 drift687 @ 09/14/11 09:04 PM
I played several games today and i am impressed with it. i know some will disagree, but this is the most realistic i feel the game has been. the look of the pitch and players and how they move, to just the game play aspects i think that so far this year could be a great year for the game. I am very interested to see how all these new game features come into play for Manager mode as this is where i spend most of my time!

The hardest part for me so far has been learning the defensive controls. It's more realistic but still gotta get the hang of it. All i can say to the doubters is wait till you get the full game as i feel that the longer halves and more teams will benefit you.

# 173 lnin0 @ 09/14/11 09:12 PM
I like how smooth the player movement is in FIFA. From the new lighting to the sleek interface the game looks and feels fantastic.

However, every year for the past 3+ years EA has pushed out a game with the same brain dead friendly AI.

Tactical defending is actually a really nice feature but broken by the lack of AI support you get. I like that EA recognized a problem with defending in 11 and that a win-button was not a proper or enjoyable defense. Now they have gone and flipped it on its head. It won't be long before the forums are screaming about how easily it is to roll a defender, run down the wing and cross for a shot. The other option is for the defender to lay back and shadow box the length of the wing - and what is the difference? Nobody can defend on an island. EA needs to fix the AI. That is what is and has always been broken.

Goalies always get slagged in PES but frankly I think they are more realistic in that game. FIFA's goalies are not playing soccer - they are just ball magnets there to prevent the scores from getting ridiculous.

Overall 2012 doesn't feel like a bad game. It has its moments. It just doesn't feel like an exceptional game either...or, much like a proper soccer match now that I think about it.

# 174 mjarz02 @ 09/14/11 09:37 PM
I think the demo is much improved over FIFA 11...it was almost impossible to bring it into the box without crossing it...I've scored all my goals from passing and skill moves so far. The defending is harder and the CPU actually passes it back to gain space. I'm sold ! And if you're not enjoying it...I feel bad for you

# 175 BroMontana82 @ 09/14/11 09:48 PM
there are sliders now? what ones are in there?

edit - nevermind i just saw the thread with this. i may check the game out now if sliders work.

# 176 Altimus @ 09/14/11 10:28 PM
The new collision and physics system is nice... however, the game does not recognize fouls. I hope this issue is addressed in the future. Here is an example:

This situation would have led to a one on one with the keeper. However, I get clipped as soon as I get the touch on the ball and go down. No card, no foul.

# 177 jwilphl @ 09/14/11 11:06 PM
Just played the demo...quick observations:
+ I haven't played FIFA much recently, but this demo felt smooth. I had a little time with '11 and I definitely notice a difference.
+ The physics engine had little impact so far, but it feels like momentum and things are in play. The goal I scored was on a very sexy volley--pretty replay.
+ There seems to be some presentation improvements.
- Teammate AI seems braindead, as others have said, unless you use R1 and make them work, really. This is reminiscent of the NHL series.
- One of the stranger plays I saw had my player fall over the opponent's leg, then "float" straight up in the air almost before coming down. It looked very awkward. I think this is a physics engine guffaw.
- Some of the presentation elements are still off, including overuse of the same isometric camera angle on replays.
- There are also other issues with camera cuts and weird robotic movements I'd like to see fixed, an issue in other EA games--it doesn't feel natural, and at one point I think the ref had a seizure.

For those who have played both games, what are the main differences between FIFA and PES? I plan to play the PES demo tomorrow, but what does each game offer?

# 178 Matt10 @ 09/14/11 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl
For those who have played both games, what are the main differences between FIFA and PES? I plan to play the PES demo tomorrow, but what does each game offer?
Good question, but dont' think we can get into it here. It always turns out ugly.

I will say that both demos are promising, but gameplay is what matters and FIFA's new "features" are a bit hit and miss - but still looking forward to the final product.

# 179 PeruvianPlaya954 @ 09/14/11 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl
Just played the demo...quick observations:
+ I haven't played FIFA much recently, but this demo felt smooth. I had a little time with '11 and I definitely notice a difference.
+ The physics engine had little impact so far, but it feels like momentum and things are in play. The goal I scored was on a very sexy volley--pretty replay.
+ There seems to be some presentation improvements.
- Teammate AI seems braindead, as others have said, unless you use R1 and make them work, really. This is reminiscent of the NHL series.
- One of the stranger plays I saw had my player fall over the opponent's leg, then "float" straight up in the air almost before coming down. It looked very awkward. I think this is a physics engine guffaw.
- Some of the presentation elements are still off, including overuse of the same isometric camera angle on replays.
- There are also other issues with camera cuts and weird robotic movements I'd like to see fixed, an issue in other EA games--it doesn't feel natural, and at one point I think the ref had a seizure.

PES - Not as pretty, but gameplay is more realistic. Goals are much more varied and will make your jaw drop. In one game I did with me as Inter against Rangers (CPU), Edu sent a long ball out of midfield toward the center forward, who with his back turned to goal at the top of the 18 headed the ball down to an oncoming midfielder that blasted a volley into the back of the net before the ball even hit the ground.

FIFA - Graphics look good, defending takes more skill and through balls aren't as easy to execute, which is all good. Licensing, commentary and atmosphere are incredible. Impact engine can be executed perfectly, such as a video posted earlier in this thread, but it does have a few kinks that need to be ironed out.

# 180 Greene_Flash03 @ 09/15/11 12:22 AM
After playing PES demo 10 more times, I must say PES 12 gameplay is very solid. AI alone beats FIFA 12 demo. When I got back playing FIFA again, the gameplay was very stale. CPU is 90% on passes, the always attack the wing to setup the cross. In PES, you'll see CPU take chances on passes (volley, through passes ETC.).

PES' main advantage to me is the AI. your teammates are smarter, they will try to find holes in your opponent to score. Also, goal variety is incredibly good! I played as Spurs vs Inter, although we finished with 0 goals each, I really had a good time playing. Simply put, games in PES could get really exciting, not stale.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.