Home
News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has posted his MLB 12 The Show hands-on preview, as he talks about the new Pulse Pitching, Zone Analog Batting, collision awareness and much more.

Quote:
Another big gameplay improvement comes in the form of the new "Pulse Pitching" dynamic. If you're not a fan of last year's analog pitching, you can go back to the old-school buttons, only with a new level of intensity that really helps up the challenge of pinpointing pitches. Basically, after selecting your pitch and location, you'll need to hit X to pitch the ball (same as classic pitching). Only now, there is a giant pulsating X on the screen in the location of your pitch, and you need to time your button press when the X is at its smallest point in order to throw the ball accurately. The more you're off, the bigger the X will be when you throw the ball, making your pitch wild, or even worse, left hanging right over the plate for someone like Albert Pujols to crush over the fence. I was a fan of the analog pitching last year, but I have to say, after about four games of switching back and forth between the analog and the pulse, I ended up playing the rest of the games with the pulse pitching and I don't think I'll go back to the analog once the game ships. It just feels right to me.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 141 mjsonoma01 @ 12/15/11 07:18 PM
Russel, how is the franchise simming coming along? Are you running into contract issues or crazy trade logic?

# 142 baseballsim @ 12/15/11 07:32 PM
The new ball physics sounds exciting.

I might get a Vita now.

# 143 HustlinOwl @ 12/15/11 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsonoma01
Russel, how is the franchise simming coming along? Are you running into contract issues or crazy trade logic?
really??? All subjective IMO

# 144 econoodle @ 12/15/11 09:01 PM
Quote:
well the fact that he hasn't followed up might mean all went well. or he's still in the salt mines plugging away at it.

i am confident in things coming out looking good.

i think they should just drop trade frequency down to like 1 or 2.
most should happen at the deadline.

# 145 BobbyColtrane @ 12/15/11 09:09 PM
Really excited to get the me this yr and play a franchise on my ps3at home & vita on the train to work!

# 146 mjsonoma01 @ 12/15/11 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
really??? All subjective IMO
Subjective? No way. You must not be much of a franchise player. Russel understands the issues with trade logic, frequency, et al.

# 147 HustlinOwl @ 12/15/11 10:36 PM
very familiar with franchise lol, Completed 3 seasons all games played. The Show does not understand names only attributes, what kind of logic would you like 15 years in and all fictional players

# 148 Doormat @ 12/15/11 10:41 PM
This is everything I ever wanted on The Show... can't wait oh man I love this time of the month, hoping March comes fast so I can play The Show on BOTH PS3 and Vita. AMAZING preview!

# 149 mjsonoma01 @ 12/15/11 11:25 PM
Quote:
very familiar with franchise lol, Completed 3 seasons all games played. The Show does not understand names only attributes, what kind of logic would you like 15 years in and all fictional players
Only 3 seasons in? So you only made it to year 2014? Thats right when things really start to go haywire. In 2016 Felix Hernandez (in my franchise anyway) is a free agent because all the teams are broke. The Show 2009 I played franchises all the way into the 2020's. Obviously I sim ALOT. 2010 had wack trade logic and 2011 was no different. Im sorry but Ubaldo Jimenez for Kyle Farnsworth is a wretched trade. That cannot be considered subjective. It would not appear attributes were considered in that trade.

15 Years in Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Strasburg, Brett Lawrie, and all the young top prospects would still be playing, so I would hope they would not be traded for mediocre relievers.

I

# 150 HustlinOwl @ 12/15/11 11:42 PM
simmed ahead as well to test certain aspects and this is why I run 30 team control

# 151 Knight165 @ 12/15/11 11:50 PM
Quote:
Only 3 seasons in? So you only made it to year 2014? Thats right when things really start to go haywire. In 2016 Felix Hernandez (in my franchise anyway) is a free agent because all the teams are broke. The Show 2009 I played franchises all the way into the 2020's. Obviously I sim ALOT. 2010 had wack trade logic and 2011 was no different. Im sorry but Ubaldo Jimenez for Kyle Farnsworth is a wretched trade. That cannot be considered subjective. It would not appear attributes were considered in that trade.

15 Years in Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Strasburg, Brett Lawrie, and all the young top prospects would still be playing, so I would hope they would not be traded for mediocre relievers.

I

Are you saying you don't see "wretched" trades in the real MLB?
Really?

M.K.
Knight165

# 152 mjsonoma01 @ 12/16/11 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Are you saying you don't see "wretched" trades in the real MLB?
Really?

M.K.
Knight165
Not to that extent, no.

# 153 mjsonoma01 @ 12/16/11 12:10 AM
Quote:
simmed ahead as well to test certain aspects and this is why I run 30 team control
30 team control can work, but not for very long. And it takes ssooo long. The 30 team control was a work around. I liked 2009, that franchise system seemed to run just fine.

Senior Knight, you seem to be like a Ken Rosenthal/Peter Gammons type. I dont know your ties to the devs, but you always have to good inside scoop. Do you remember anything changing franchise wise between 2009 and 2010 the show?

Glad we are all talking about this.

# 154 Knight165 @ 12/16/11 12:22 AM
Quote:
30 team control can work, but not for very long. And it takes ssooo long. The 30 team control was a work around. I liked 2009, that franchise system seemed to run just fine.

Senior Knight, you seem to be like a Ken Rosenthal/Peter Gammons type. I dont know your ties to the devs, but you always have to good inside scoop. Do you remember anything changing franchise wise between 2009 and 2010 the show?

GM logic.....trade logic in particular is always being worked on.....but one particular thing...I can't really say what that might have been.
I know that guys(community here on O.S.) wanted to see more playoff push teams trading prospects for vets and vice versa.
I have always felt that MR were valued to high(both in teams wanting them and $$$ they get)
I'm sure they are working on these aspects of franchise(FA/trades/$$$) right up until the last minute.
It's the toughest part of any sports game IMO.

M.K.
Knight165

# 155 HustlinOwl @ 12/16/11 12:29 AM
Quote:

once again subjective, I can fly through pending transactions in less than a minute and nix any trades I dont like

# 156 hitstreak13 @ 12/16/11 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
GM logic.....trade logic in particular is always being worked on.....but one particular thing...I can't really say what that might have been.
I know that guys(community here on O.S.) wanted to see more playoff push teams trading prospects for vets and vice versa.
I have always felt that MR were valued to high(both in teams wanting them and $$$ they get)
I'm sure they are working on these aspects of franchise(FA/trades/$$$) right up until the last minute.
It's the toughest part of any sports game IMO.

M.K.
Knight165
I would love to see teams who are out of the race trade guys with large contracts, established veterans, etc. for prospects. IMO, the only game to get this right was ASB 05. Even if you had all fictional players (year 20) teams who were in the hunt almost always traded prospects for proven talent. Was nice to see

Also, I do agree that trade/FA logic is perhaps the hardest thing in sports. I mean, I can only name 1 or 2 games tops that were solid regarding this area (not perfect by any means). These guys do their best and that's fine by me.

# 157 zippy2212 @ 12/16/11 08:33 AM
Quote:
once again subjective, I can fly through pending transactions in less than a minute and nix any trades I dont like
This why I love 30 team control, yes it may take a little more work and time but it stops crazy trade and also line-up logic. I take mine a step further Hustlin, if I see a crazy trade proposed I go in and look to see if any part of it makes sense. If so I will "counter" the trade from the other teams perspective and make it what I feel is a fair trade. Yes I am somewhat manipulating the game but it's my game and I'm allowed!

# 158 tvman @ 12/16/11 09:41 AM
Any chance MLB12 will have an option to play with all fictional players?

# 159 mjsonoma01 @ 12/16/11 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitstreak13
I would love to see teams who are out of the race trade guys with large contracts, established veterans, etc. for prospects. IMO, the only game to get this right was ASB 05. Even if you had all fictional players (year 20) teams who were in the hunt almost always traded prospects for proven talent. Was nice to see

Also, I do agree that trade/FA logic is perhaps the hardest thing in sports. I mean, I can only name 1 or 2 games tops that were solid regarding this area (not perfect by any means). These guys do their best and that's fine by me.
But didnt you have to go through the trades daily? Did you select contracts to all players for all teams in the off season? I know some of that could be controlled by the settings, but I never did find a way to only draft for my team while using 30 team control. That was a big 30 team control deal creaker for me. Again, it was only a work around.

# 160 mjsonoma01 @ 12/16/11 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitstreak13

I thought The Show 09 did a good job of this. If a team was in a "playoff push" the young players were easier to trade for, and visa versa if the team was "rebuilding."

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.