Home
MLB 2K12 News Post

StickSkills has posted their thoughts on the MLB 2K12 cover, as they talk about what the game used to bring to the table and what 2K Sports has recently released.

Quote:
Back in 2006, when VORP was still thought of as a planet in Star Trek and the Rays were cramming three digits into their loss column, 2K Sports hired Ben Brinkman from EA’s MVP Baseball series as their executive producer/savior for MLB 2K7. One year after signing an exclusive third party licensing contract with Major League Baseball until 2012, the series was already struggling to stay afloat. Brinkman was determined to turn the ship around, however, and had come armed with a “three year plan” to polish up game’s graphics, gameplay, and array of features.

As it turns out, ambition doesn’t always equal fruition. And while 2K7 was praised for making some major visual strides, MLB 2K8 ran into a wall of bugs and glitch-filled gameplay and neither game moved the meter on sales. Afterwards, Brinkman was out as producer, and MLB 2K9 – the culmination of the three-year plan – continued the downward slide by adding new features often more broken than they were innovating or entertaining.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K12 Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 12 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 truintellectplaya @ 01/09/12 10:42 PM
2K's ball physics are superior to those of The Show.

# 42 Blzer @ 01/10/12 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truintellectplaya
2K's ball physics are superior to those of The Show.
While it's all opinion anyway, SCEA rewrote their code for their ball physics this year, so this statement might become past tense for you.

On the other hand, 2K Sports might have done the exact same thing, but we have yet to see anything. For all we know, they might be doing the thing that they did with 2K7 (completely re-inventive, but way behind schedule and cramming to get the job done).

For me, 2K has always made incredibly fun video games. As long as they always keep the video game aspect in mind for these games, I will have a whole lot of trouble questioning their game-making decisions. If the PS3 version catches up in visuals compared to that of the 360 counterpart (much like the NBA 2K series did this past fall), that will just make things that much better.

# 43 authentic @ 01/10/12 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
While it's all opinion anyway, SCEA rewrote their code for their ball physics this year, so this statement might become past tense for you.

On the other hand, 2K Sports might have done the exact same thing, but we have yet to see anything. For all we know, they might be doing the thing that they did with 2K7 (completely re-inventive, but way behind schedule and cramming to get the job done).

For me, 2K has always made incredibly fun video games. As long as they always keep the video game aspect in mind for these games, I will have a whole lot of trouble questioning their game-making decisions. If the PS3 version catches up in visuals compared to that of the 360 counterpart (much like the NBA 2K series did this past fall), that will just make things that much better.
I couldn't agree more. However, they are close to having a good sim baseball game. Graphics need improvement yes. Some animations need improvement yes. But, they've figured out a way to master presentation, and the pitching is awesome.

Improvements that should be made:
Player models
Swing animations
Speed of the game (sometimes it just seems so fast then so slow)
Graphics (I see a lot of jaggies)

Personally, I get great games in the 2 days I've had this game. Improve the graphics, get better player models, fix the swing mechanics and I'm down. But I'll never be serious about this game until they do that.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.