Home
News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 381 Blzer @ 01/26/12 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly fries
Am I a little slow but does swig=swing? I am totally discombobulated.
It just doesn't get any netter than this.

# 382 Eman5805 @ 01/26/12 10:22 PM
The secret is probably that one of the images during the trailer wasn't something edited, but something that'll happen during pressure moments of the game or something. Super face close ups in slo-mo or something.

...or something.

Probably wrong.

# 383 douggoud @ 01/27/12 12:54 AM
I noticed that a couple of people mentioned the Cooperstown logo. I have the same logo on the instide of my retro angels hat, and on my retro angels jersey, so, thats possibly there to represent the retro jerseys in the game (or something or rather, lol) not necessarily the Hall of Famers themselves.

# 384 Cavicchi @ 01/27/12 09:27 AM
The Move looks interesting with Adrian Gonzalez "throwing" the pitch. I wonder if someone will try the same thing and accidentally the ball goes straight at the TV screen

# 385 Pared @ 01/27/12 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2
Until I saw Nemesis's subsequent post, I thought this might be true because one of the hints he gave was "Nothing gets you closer"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt-od
Nobody here knows execept for Nem and Knight, and no one has found the key to their chastity belt yet, haha.
Wow - a lot of confusion here on the board.

*deletes all information ever posted on this forum about The Show*

# 386 nomo17k @ 01/27/12 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd369
Im not sure what you are talking about. Realistic mechanics and movements should be at the core of the gameplay. The players on the field are the focus of the game. A lot of people care about rain, COW and online HR derby. I care about the realism of actual gameplay which up until last year was not very realistic.
I hear you, while I don't think swing mechanisms/follow throughs as in just making them *look* realistic is as important is having them affect gameplay in meaningful ways (like in introducing contact swing and adding suitable animation for it), it would make the game look more realistic. And seeing good dynamic swings both in game and in real life is a thing of treat.

However, I don't appreciate the same people coming in and repeat the same stuff over and over in all the picture/movie threads. I think the points have been raised enough times that people are aware that it's the area where things can improve. Soon or later, we *will* have opportunities to discuss wishlist/feedback items. OS and SCEA very nicely provide those opportunities.

I think what makes people (at least me) get tired of this type of discussion is that, the same people tend to make all those threads "my wish not realized in this iteration of franchise, man it sucks" type of discussion. Enough of that... Please do so in the right opportunities... they are plenty here, thankfully...

# 387 nomo17k @ 01/27/12 10:13 AM
Quote:
for me I have been asking for this ever since I started playing in 09, so 3 years now and nothing was ever improved. I take every opportunity to let them know this IS important (far more important than rain or O/L HR derby). Im not the type of person that sees 6 out of 10 things done right and only praise the 6 things while leaving the other 4 things unmentioned. With me you will have my applause for the 6, but Im also gonna let you know that you need to fix the 4. We are playing the game of baseball, which means the 9+ guys on the field are the most important thing in the game and they should look as real as possible, that hasnt been the case yet. Im holding final judgement until videos of the release day build comes out, but so far I havent been wowed by the trailers. Ive seen some cool stuff, but I have also seen some bad stuff that should have been removed after 09 (that was the first show on the ps3 if I recall correctly, or maybe it was 08?).
If you just want to operate only in the way you wish, then I'd guess that's your choice, but I'm just merely pointing out that some people don't appreciate reading the same things over and over. That's not constructive.

Who knows? The devs may have already gotten your message but unable to implement the thing you point out (because of miscellaneous technical complications). But the way you keep repeating the same thing (and basically diluting the effectiveness of your message) they may get annoyed to the extent that you may end up in their ignore list... Who knows if that's already the case?

I don't think that's what you want to happen. I've only used my ignore list once, but if I ever use it then it's for people who post the same thing over and over again...

# 388 Pared @ 01/27/12 10:15 AM
Quote:
correct mechanics and follow throughs are part of gameplay! The fact that they are wrong TAKES AWAY from gameplay
You're pretty wrong here.

The follow through has nothing to do with the swing. It's simply a visual representation of what happens after the bat makes contact with the ball.

There's nothing about the "core mechanics" at play here. When they are to animate player specific follow throughs, nothing will change except eye candy. The bat to ball physics will remain untouched.

As it is right now, you're simply griping over a visual aspect of the game. I care about gameplay probably more than the next guy - having spent a good amount of time with the developer who does this I can assure you that what you're saying is not correct.

# 389 nomo17k @ 01/27/12 10:28 AM
Quote:
Thats your choice just like its mine to make sure core gameplay concerns are seen. ...
Okay, I put you in my ignore list then...

I'm just letting you know if anybody are like me, then they wouldn't appreciate reading the posts with the same message over and over regardless of the thread topic.

# 390 ericdrum @ 01/27/12 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

The follow through has nothing to do with the swing. It's simply a visual representation of what happens after the bat makes contact with the ball.

There's nothing about the "core mechanics" at play here. When they are to animate player specific follow throughs, nothing will change except eye candy. The bat to ball physics will remain untouched.

As it is right now, you're simply griping over a visual aspect of the game. I care about gameplay probably more than the next guy - having spent a good amount of time with the developer who does this I can assure you that what you're saying is not correct.
I agree completely. Honestly, I only know a dozen or so players signature swings and half of them are Dodgers. I would much rather have had them work on the ball physics this year then get my beloved Kemp's swing perfect. Now if SCEA could give me real ads in stadiums like in my PC version of the other game, wow I'd be in heaven. I'm constantly amazed at the things these SCEA devs get right. I'll proudly throw 60 a year at them.

# 391 Pared @ 01/27/12 10:34 AM
Quote:
Thats your choice just like its mine to make sure core gameplay concerns are seen.
Is this an example? Because you seemed to think this was a gameplay question/concern:

Quote:
could you add players gripping the bat with their last finger or last couple fingers over the knob of the bat?
You have a whopping 4 posts in the gameplay questions thread.

Quote:
Now 2k has an utterly crappy game and I will not play it, but from what someone else said in this thread they do have good mechanics in their game. Ive never understood how they could do so well with the basketball games and completely fall flat on their face with baseball though. Maybe if they would get in gear they would give the show some competition lol!
Stop this - leave these comments out of this forum.

As for Kinsler - I've seen you spam that comment before. Again - that has nothing to do with gameplay. It's a focus for me DESPITE that fact - but you're confused as to what gameplay is... that may be part of the problem.

# 392 itzdaro13 @ 01/27/12 10:46 AM
When will SCEA release some more official info on The Show? Its been awhile since the last blog post. Maybe a Fact Sheet, something!

# 393 thaSLAB @ 01/27/12 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzdaro13
When will SCEA release some more official info on The Show? Its been awhile since the last blog post. Maybe a Fact Sheet, something!
The last blog post was 2 days ago.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 394 itzdaro13 @ 01/27/12 10:52 AM
Oh damn, let me check that out then, thanks!

# 395 Pared @ 01/27/12 10:53 AM
Quote:
I personally dont care what category it falls under for them as long as it gets fixed.
Hey - fair enough; Just trying to help out here. When others are focused on gameplay and you bring up these points, they don't follow because it's not in the same category. It's like going to a biker meet and asking guys if they want to talk about cars - you're going to get some strange looks.

I want it looked at too. I wouldn't have spent a few hours going over some key guys like Phillips and Tex(iera) (from both sides of the plate). They HAVE addressed some and we can look at others when the game is released. But you can't keep pointing to one guy repeatedly and claiming nothing was "fixed" or "addressed" because of this one guy. That's being a bit short-sighted. It's also why a common saying most developers like to use is "being able to see the forest from the trees."

As with EVERY SPORTS GAME, some players were addressed and some need more work. It will always be the case year in and year out. Just compile a list and we'll forward it to where it needs to go after release and hope it can make it in a patch... IF it needs to be addressed. That's all.

# 396 Pared @ 01/27/12 11:00 AM
Well - gone are the 4-5 one handed/two handed follow throughs. We also found a bug that was forcing many lefties to all have Beltran's follow through.

They have more, but I can't recall the number. I believe many were tied to players specifically but there were some that needed to be corrected.

Again - it's not the end of the world. Once the game comes out, just put together a list.

Also, they know that we would like this editable. Not sure if it can make it into the game next year, but they know it's something we would like to see (including editable HR poses).

# 397 myghty @ 01/27/12 11:31 AM
I have a feeling we'll see some new info or video today.... Or maybe its wishful thinking...

Friday, Friday

# 398 Blzer @ 01/27/12 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

I guess it depends on what your definition of gameplay is, then. Personally, what I call gameplay is "how the user interacts with the information on the screen," nothing more and nothing less. This lends to elements such as the controls, feasibility, fun/replay value, competitive difficulty, and game logic. In my personal definition of the term, "realism" does not fall into gameplay whatsoever. This is why arcade games can still have great gameplay. It doesn't fall into it when it comes to seeing how the accurate the swing looks (that doesn't tie into "graphics" for me either IMO), nor does it say how the ball will react off the bat.

For me, that term is authenticity. Graphics are all on a technical level: if they achieve a good framerate and little aliasing, can run at a high resolution with decent lighting and texturing, then the game has good graphics. But that doesn't say whether a stadium's colors are correct, a player has the right batting stance, or the skies progress in the right way. IMO that is all tied into authenticity... or rather, "how the game accurately reflects what its intended target is." In this case, MLB 12: The Show is trying to reflect Major League Baseball. The more closely it reflects it (like realistic ball physics and proper camera angles), the happier I am. This is why authenticity is my number one priority when it comes to all video games. Gameplay is at a close second.

# 399 Knight165 @ 01/27/12 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I guess it depends on what your definition of gameplay is, then. Personally, what I call gameplay is "how the user interacts with the information on the screen," nothing more and nothing less. This lends to elements such as the controls, feasibility, fun/replay value, competitive difficulty, and game logic. In my personal definition of the term, "realism" does not fall into gameplay whatsoever. This is why arcade games can still have great gameplay. It doesn't fall into it when it comes to seeing how the accurate the swing looks (that doesn't tie into "graphics" for me either IMO), nor does it say how the ball will react off the bat.

For me, that term is authenticity. Graphics are all on a technical level: if they achieve a good framerate and little aliasing, can run at a high resolution with decent lighting and texturing, then the game has good graphics. But that doesn't say whether a stadium's colors are correct, a player has the right batting stance, or the skies progress in the right way. IMO that is all tied into authenticity... or rather, "how the game accurately reflects what its intended target is." In this case, MLB 12: The Show is trying to reflect Major League Baseball. The more closely it reflects it (like realistic ball physics and proper camera angles), the happier I am. This is why authenticity is my number one priority when it comes to all video games. Gameplay is at a close second.
But again.....do you mean VISUAL authenticity?
If you do....that takes a WAY BACK...back seat to how the game plays out as far as results(both sim and actually playing it)

M.K.
Knight165

# 400 jmik58 @ 01/27/12 03:02 PM
The follow-through doesn't fall into the gameplay category anymore than someone's jersey flaps in the wind when they swing or how the dirt kicks up.

There seems to be a confusion between gamePLAY and gameACTION.

GamePLAY is the Xs and Os, the logic coding that determines outcomes in the representation of the impactful moments when trying to replicate results such as safe/out, strike/ball, etc.

GameACTION has to do with the visual side-effect or tag-along of gamePLAY.

I like to think that gameACTION helps tell the story of what gamePLAY is doing.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.