Home
Grand Slam Tennis 2 News Post

Several OS Staffers chime in with their thoughts on the Grand Slam Tennis 2 Demo Roundtable and what they think the game's prospects are when it releases on Valentines Day.

Read More - Grand Slam Tennis 2 Demo Roundtable

Game: Grand Slam Tennis 2Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 2 - View All
Grand Slam Tennis 2 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 bigdoc85 @ 01/31/12 02:17 PM
I played a bit with the demo but had trouble getting really excited about it. I got a lot of play time from Top Spin 4 but just couldn't get into this. We'll see if the full game changes my opinion but I'll wait until after the release and the reviews are out.

# 2 DGuinta1 @ 01/31/12 02:25 PM
It was OK though the announcing was bad. They players moved pretty good and fluid. Easy to get acclimated to.

# 3 Darkimpact17 @ 01/31/12 02:53 PM
I thought the game played terrible, i'll stick with my topspin.

# 4 gigadkc @ 01/31/12 03:30 PM
I actually enjoyed the demo but I won't buy the game because the roster - like in every other tennis game - is horrible. I'll never ever buy a tennis game until there are at least the top 50 men and women included.

# 5 rangerrick012 @ 01/31/12 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigadkc
I actually enjoyed the demo but I won't buy the game because the roster - like in every other tennis game - is horrible. I'll never ever buy a tennis game until there are at least the top 50 men and women included.
For what it's worth at least in this one you can download players that others create and use them on your own game. Not sure how many slots there are or if they come fully developed or you have to build them up yourself once you download them though.

# 6 jyoung @ 01/31/12 04:09 PM
Tennis games have it a lot tougher than other sports because they have to individually sign each player to the in-game roster.

It is not like football or hockey where you just purchase the NFLPA or NHLPA rights and automatically can use every player in the PA.

# 7 The Bimmer @ 01/31/12 04:37 PM
The demo plays fine for me. Since the manual reads that we can customize the game settings, more then likely you will be able to adjust the speed of the game if it is to fast.

# 8 gigadkc @ 01/31/12 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Tennis games have it a lot tougher than other sports because they have to individually sign each player to the in-game roster.

It is not like football or hockey where you just purchase the NFLPA or NHLPA rights and automatically can use every player in the PA.
true but as a customer I really don't care about that. I'm sure that other licences like NFL, NHL and especially all the licences in FIFA are way, way, WAY more expensive than the ~20 tennis players they have in this game. Sure, NFL and FIFA sell way more often but I have a hard time to believe they can't make enough profit if they sign more than 20 players.

# 9 jyoung @ 01/31/12 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bimmer
The demo plays fine for me. Since the manual reads that we can customize the game settings, more then likely you will be able to adjust the speed of the game if it is to fast.
I did like the number of sliders and options you can see in all the demo's menus.

Hopefully they work as advertised, and the game style is very adjustable.

# 10 OhioBobcats @ 01/31/12 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33

Like I've said numerous times when this comes up: what exactly is the asking price for Sam Querrey or John Isner to be on a video game? Most of these guys probably want to be in the game just as badly. There is no way they couldn't get top 20-70 players in this game for dirt cheap. If they ask something ridiculous, you just pass on them and get someone else.

At the very least, we should have 32 currently playing men in any tennis game to have at least some sort of tournament.

My only hope now is we have a huge amount of free spaces to create a player. You can create 100s of players in NBA2K12.

# 11 rangerrick012 @ 01/31/12 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcats
Like I've said numerous times when this comes up: what exactly is the asking price for Sam Querrey or John Isner to be on a video game? Most of these guys probably want to be in the game just as badly. There is no way they couldn't get top 20-70 players in this game for dirt cheap. If they ask something ridiculous, you just pass on them and get someone else.

At the very least, we should have 32 currently playing men in any tennis game to have at least some sort of tournament.

My only hope now is we have a huge amount of free spaces to create a player. You can create 100s of players in NBA2K12.
I share your gripes, but without knowing details who knows if more players would mean less disk space for things like other venues. Which of course leads to the other concern of why not have players at least available as DLC? That option would probably solve the disk space concern.

But I'm guessing there's some reason why more players aren't available in most games, I'm guessing companies aren't just deciding not to have more than a max of 20 or so. Profit alone can't be the main issue, at least I hope not.

# 12 number1thumbs @ 01/31/12 09:15 PM
how can anyone who has played topspin 4 think this game is any good?..

swing animations are terrible

strategy is nothing like in real life..which is a game killer, imo

looks like it should be an arcade game for 1200 points but i still probably would not pick it up

i have taught the sport for the last 11 years and played for a top 5 D1 school at the time...so i love the sport

# 13 Bryzine21 @ 01/31/12 10:59 PM
I actually liked the demo of this game better than the full version of Top Spin 4. I am sure it does not move at exactly the right speed or the total racquet control won't take getting used to but It is one fun game. The demo graphics are better than TS4 and I think they nailed the sound of the racquet hitting the ball and the varied grunts are nice too. I loved all the little things too such as more aces , and more variables in what the ball might do. I am sick and tired of every time a good game comes out everybody bitches cuz its not exactly like the real sport or one mode of play is not as great as the rest of the game. Lighten up. Have fun with it, and if u want realism go outside.

# 14 eye guy @ 02/01/12 12:43 AM
One of the few EA titles (demos) I actually enjoyed playing... It will probably meet the same fate as MMA and if it does, what a shame. MMA is better than UFC, imo, and still does the rounds in my 360 and this will probably do the same.

# 15 Jishin75 @ 02/01/12 04:27 AM
I think the most important thing to me is how many player you can create and add to the available slots. I also hope the career mode is fine.

# 16 Greene_Flash03 @ 02/01/12 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzine21
I actually liked the demo of this game better than the full version of Top Spin 4. I am sure it does not move at exactly the right speed or the total racquet control won't take getting used to but It is one fun game. The demo graphics are better than TS4 and I think they nailed the sound of the racquet hitting the ball and the varied grunts are nice too. I loved all the little things too such as more aces , and more variables in what the ball might do. I am sick and tired of every time a good game comes out everybody bitches cuz its not exactly like the real sport or one mode of play is not as great as the rest of the game. Lighten up. Have fun with it, and if u want realism go outside.
I always hear this argument, but I always say, if a video game company can capture the sport as real as possible, I'd go and play that game. GS2 is a very fun game. But some animations really bothers me.

# 17 rangerrick012 @ 02/01/12 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzine21
The rest of your post is fine, even though I disagree with you on some things. You lost me here. If people expect certain things out of their gameplay, who are you to say that they are expecting too much?

# 18 SteelerSpartan @ 02/01/12 05:58 PM
Im willing to give this game a chance if

*They Fixed AI Net Hugging/Effectiveness
*A good amount of Working Sliders/Tendencies

We'll see though, this is EA we're talking about

# 19 cashless @ 02/01/12 08:49 PM
I really wanted to like this game, but after having played the demo, I'm having a tough time thinking of one single positive thing to say about it. I guess I can see this game being somewhat enjoyable with motion controls, but as a tennis simulator it comes nowhere close to Top Spin.

# 20 Dubsonic @ 02/01/12 09:14 PM
It will be interesting to see how much content EA has built around the majors. If it's just the 4 slams and 2 or 3 more tourny's then it will be an epic failure for me

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.