Home
MLB 2K12 News Post

The MLB 2K12 demo is available now. Play a few games and post your impressions here.

Read the full press release below.

2K Sports Announces Major League Baseball 2K12 Demo
Now Available on Xbox LIVE Marketplace and PlayStation Network

Features Texas Rangers against St. Louis Cardinals in
rematch of 2011 World Series

New York, NY – February 28, 2012 – 2K Sports today announced that a free demo of Major League Baseball® 2K12 is now available on the Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PlayStation®Network for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

The demo allows players to relive 2011’s thrilling, back-and-forth World Series and play three innings as the Texas Rangers or St. Louis Cardinals. In addition, it showcases many of MLB 2K12’s improved features, including the dynamic tendencies system that adjusts pitcher and batter ratings as the game unfolds; a revamped throwing system; and a new hit distribution system with more varied and realistic hit types.

This year’s edition of MLB 2K will allow players to experience the authenticity and excitement of a real baseball game, and also a chance to win $1,000,000. The Perfect Game Challenge returns for the third consecutive year with MLB 2K12, and is bigger than ever. The new format will utilize a dynamic leaderboard that ranks the top eight perfect games thrown. At the end of the competition, the top eight competitors will face each other in a live $1 million tournament.

MLB 2K12 is rated E for everyone by the ESRB and will be available March 6, 2012 for Xbox 360, PlayStation®3, Wii™ system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, Nintendo DS™ and Windows PC.

Major League Baseball 2K12  screenshot gallery - Click to view Major League Baseball 2K12  screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Major League Baseball 2K12 Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 12 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Frost33 @ 02/29/12 09:56 PM
I really feel like this is a much tighter, more polished 2k11, and that, in my opinion is a very good thing. The thing that really jumps out at me about 2k12 is the fun factor. Having that "it" factor, puts this game as a buy for me. But as others have said, I think I'll wait on the purchase. I bought last year's on launch and was VERY frustrated by the bugs and glitches that seemed to take forever to fix. I'll wait and see what issues this years game has. Plus I'll be picking up Mass Effect 3 the same day and that will take up a bit of my time.

# 142 tvman @ 02/29/12 10:11 PM
Has anyone been able to check swing using classic hitting? I've tried double tapping as i saw mentioned in this thread but no luck for me.

By the way i did let my wife and dog out of the fridge.

# 143 mrclutch @ 02/29/12 10:44 PM
I played last years game for a couple months (before I bought my PS3) and the demo doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. 2k11.5 as we are fond of saying.

I mean I think it's a pretty good game. Looks and feels about the same. A little smoother and some minor plus ups. Good not great.
I'd say if you liked last years game you should like this one as well. If you didn't like last years then it's time to move along IMO.
Cheers.

# 144 Kernel Pie @ 03/01/12 12:16 AM
After 2 days with the demo, I've decided to pass on this version. I played 2k11 a lot and did enjoy it, but I had major gripes that I wanted to see addressed in 12, and they either weren't fixed, or were fixed poorly. The 2 main gripes I had, were the post-play animations, and the base-running.

The first was not addressed at all, and we still have to suffer through horrendous cutaways to zombie-stares, players robotically wandering around the field, and just general ugly, cringe-worthy art direction all around. This aspect of the game is a steaming 'F minus.' I thought for sure they would have fixed the post-play pitcher animations from last year. Leaving so many of those animations untouched is not gonna do it this year for me.

The second one, they tried to fix, but failed at it. Yes, players do round the bases now instead of making right angle turns, but the motion looks completely unnatural and 'floaty,' for lack of a better term. The players seem too light, and the movement lacks the violence and the energy of a 200 lb athlete moving full steam and then sliding explosively into a bag. They tried to fix it, so I'll give credit there. But I expected it to look better honestly.

Everything else is basically a wash from 2k11, except some new fielder animations, pitch tracking, and a working throw meter (after 3 years). I truly believe this will be the last in the series, and I for one am not going down with the ship.

# 145 cheechoo98 @ 03/01/12 12:34 AM
As others have mentioned, why 2K takes the commentary out of the Demo, is a head scratcher and really hurts it. The commentary is awesome and rivals The Show's commentary...

- I really love the pitching mechanic that has been in 2K for the past few iterations - also, IMO, rivals The Show's.

- love the fielding cameras. I like how you see the fielder + the hitter/base runner, + the sky, all in one camera. It,s actually similar to The Show's Road To The Show camera. And the 'good at bat' cam in The Show. I wish The Show had that camera as an option for regular gameplay.

- the batting camera is awful IMO, at least in the demo, they should include different batting camera options. I never understood this camera that 2k implemented.. And all the GUI stuff added to the strike zone. I haven,t played the actual game, so I don,t know if all that strike zone GUI stuff is optional. They should include the option to turn it off in the demo.

- in the Demo, some animation issues hurt it. On a 3rd out, AFTER Beltran caught the flyball... The scene Cut-to: Closeup of Beltran... Running forward, (with ball in glove) then, Beltran reverses direction and runs towards the wall, then Beltran reverses direction again towards the dugout...

So things like the above have made my mind up to stick with The Show this year -- when I was 90% leaning to taking a year off since 1998 from the Show (and EA) - and going with 2K...

# 146 DJ @ 03/01/12 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Man, the more I play this demo...the more I like it. It just has a "fun" feeling to it. Can't wait to see what the finished product will be like.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
Yeah, overall I'm enjoying the demo but I think as far as a purchase goes, I'll wait until we get closer to Opening Day and see what the community has to say about the game then. I bought 2K10 and 11 but the bugs in both games drove me away, so I'll be a little more patient this year.

# 147 brendanrfoley @ 03/01/12 01:18 AM
I have to be honest; I'm disappointed.

It feels largely the same as 2K11 to me, and I am not seeing increased hit variety. I have not fielded (or hit) a single ball that necessitated a fielder to charge. No choppers. Grounders just hit the ground and stick.

On the presentation side, I see too many of the same issues that nagged at me for the last two years; long awkward camera shots, jerky animations and too much 'gaminess' in general. Outside of a few minor tweaks, the presentation of this series stalled after 2K10.

It's too bad, too. The MLB 2K series created "realtime" presentation only to fallback tried-and-true cut scenes featuring players that magically teleport from one spot on the diamond to the other.

# 148 bodhiball @ 03/01/12 02:01 AM
I think as always it will come down to personal preference. I prefer ultra realism and a feeling of being immersed in the sport I am playing, but I can totally see how this game would be a fun video game to play. Its fun. It does not make me feel like I am playing a real game of baseball and if I focus on the details I get easily frustrated.

To be honest, while I played the demo I kept thinking to myself, if this game came out 6 or 7 years ago it would be AMAZING. But compared to what we are all used to seeing graphically now, its incredibly far behind. From the uniforms and hats that look like rubber, to the helmets with no reflection or shine, to the flat cut-out fans in the upper decks, it falls flat.

I applaud their progress and the desire of this team to not give up after years of struggle with the series, both financial and amongst the fans of the game. It was good to see them try one more time.

Like I said, I had fun playing a video game for an hour or so, but its not a purchase for me.

oh...and if you are a fan of organ music, you will LOVE this game!

# 149 bakesalee @ 03/01/12 02:29 AM
I tried the demo - first hands on with 2k baseball since 2k7.

I just can't get over the hitting. I don't like the "swing stick". I'd have to argue, if this method is more realistic, why don't we push our left and right analog sticks (L up, R up L up, R up multiplied by about 40 times real quick) to move our runners legs when advancing bases?

# 150 JoeRyan33 @ 03/01/12 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
On the presentation side, I see too many of the same issues that nagged at me for the last two years; long awkward camera shots, jerky animations and too much 'gaminess' in general. Outside of a few minor tweaks, the presentation of this series stalled after 2K10.

It's too bad, too. The MLB 2K series created "realtime" presentation only to fallback tried-and-true cut scenes featuring players that magically teleport from one spot on the diamond to the other.
I haven't played the game in a few years, and the presentation was better from what I remember of 2K10. Things have regressed in this area, they certainly haven't moved forward.

I was playing on PS3 and the textures weren't too great on jerseys and grass in particular.

The gameplay just isn't doing it for me. I remember having some fun on 2K10, but this year I just feel disconnected with it. Pitching feels a bit tedious now and the hitting is too simplified to keep me interested.

# 151 bonannogiovanni @ 03/01/12 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeagles5
Has anyone played both Demos from PS3 & Xbox360 to compare?
I have, on PS3 the crowd (and the background overall) is blurrier to better conceal jaggies (remember it doesn't have an AA filter unlike the 360).

# 152 jeagles5 @ 03/01/12 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonannogiovanni
I have, on PS3 the crowd (and the background overall) is blurrier to better conceal jaggies (remember it doesn't have an AA filter unlike the 360).
What about the game play? Anything really noticeable? I remember last year when there was quite a difference.

# 153 bonannogiovanni @ 03/01/12 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeagles5
What about the game play? Anything really noticeable? I remember last year when there was quite a difference.
For the limited time I played, I daresay no difference in gameplay at all.

# 154 jeagles5 @ 03/01/12 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonannogiovanni
For the limited time I played, I daresay no difference in gameplay at all.
Thanks Man

# 155 thaSLAB @ 03/01/12 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakesalee

I just can't get over the hitting. I don't like the "swing stick". I'd have to argue, if this method is more realistic, why don't we push our left and right analog sticks (L up, R up L up, R up multiplied by about 40 times real quick) to move our runners legs when advancing bases?
LOL, that gave me a pretty funny visual.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 156 Blazzen @ 03/01/12 10:02 AM
The more I play the demo the more I like it. I didn't think I was going to buy this game this year but I am going to after playing the demo.

# 157 Trevytrev11 @ 03/01/12 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakesalee

I guess the same reason you use a shot stick in basketball, but don't actually control the players dribbling or running.

# 158 Beetlebum @ 03/01/12 10:24 AM
Ok, I did it.
After years of only playing The Show, yesterday I pre-ordered 2k12 on amazon.

I was really impressed by the pitcher/hitter battle, by the feeling you get when laying off a bad pitch and in general I got a more natural feeling when it comes to how an at-bat develops, as opposed to The Show where things seem to be more scripted.
Mlb 2k12 gave me a great "baseball feeling".

I still think the other game is superior, but I am really looking forward to get this one

# 159 brendanrfoley @ 03/01/12 10:25 AM
I believe this will be the last version of MLB 2K released, more than ever.

The slower (than normal) trickle of information, screens and videos... the developers' focus on refinement rather than major improvement... and the overwhelming sense of 'sameness' between 2K11 and 2K12 is a sign the project did not have a deep pool of resources. Budget, artists, programmers - you name it.

# 160 natey2k4 @ 03/01/12 10:38 AM
The game seems like a lot of fun. Again, I love the pitching. But its weird having such advanced pitching and then such simple hitting.

The cutscenes that show a closeup of a player and then show the grass are some of the ugliest video game cutscenes I've ever seen. The grass textures are horrendous for a game released in 2012.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.