Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 jpdavis82 @ 05/15/12 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR173rd
Pretty much where I'm at. I don't expect much from EA at this point and I don't feel like they've built up enough trust to warrant giving them the benefit of the doubt. June 4th seems to be the target indicator here, and I can't wait to jump on this forum after the playbooks
I agree, but in all fairness while it is still EA, it's also a almost completely new development team and we've already seen that they have made noticeable changes(scorebug) since those videos were released.

# 162 PGaither84 @ 05/15/12 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
That isn't my position, but on the flip side, are you saying that nothing is tuned between now and the time the game goes gold?
To me, there is a HUGE difference between tuning and major changes.

Again, the point of a Community Day is to get feedback behind closed doors from respectable members of the community who love football and playing football video games, even if they don't love Madden. I used to love Madden, then 2k stole my heart and I WANT Madden to steal it back, but it hasn't. I don't hate Madden, and I "stil have feeling for the old girl" and that a reason why I still play... but now I am going off topic.

The point is that they are looking for feedback.

At Madden 11 CD, Gus hadn't even finished recording his lines. I was invited along with who ever else wanted to come up and listen to Gus record his Super Bowl lines. I got the hear the Raiders and the rest of the AFC West commentary. That was pretty cool. What that means is that in the CD build of the game, there were tons of place holders and gaps in the commentary. So, yes, there was a lot more work to be done. However, there wasn't going to be some radical change between then and August. In fact, even Madden 12 [12!!!] has Chris still talking to Tom Hammond once in a while. Common.

Sure, I expect the crowd noise to be in the game and other finishing touches, and I hope Chase listens to what we have said in this thread and reads what I wrote on page 7 post #68 where I broke down what I liked and didn't like. Right now, it isn't even close to NBA 2k, and it has a LONG way to go to even get close. Maybe in two years of hard work, but not by August.

# 163 billylee0000 @ 05/15/12 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I generally agree with this premise but it can over emphasis the dev team as the only past issue.

I liken it to (about to throw up in my mouth a lil) the 90's Dallas Cowboys with Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones. Johnson definitely came in and changed personnel making the Cowboys a winning organization again but Jones was still around mucking some things up.

Likewise for Madden, I feel good about Cam Weber and the personnel around assembled but there may still be an EA Jerry Jones persona or mindset around to muck things up. lol

Time will tell.
I actually think that's just it. The dev team may be sticking to what they have because someone is pushing them towards this direction. That's why everything I've seen so far looks like an upgraded version of Madden12. If they were allowed to explore different options say in the graphics engine and physics engine, things may be different.

# 164 PGaither84 @ 05/15/12 01:52 PM
I have all of the playoff games from last year still on my Laptop. While I can't upload them or share them with you, I started watching the PIT@DEN Wildcard game Sims and Nantz called.

On TV we see replays of nice plays and big plays, but general banter and stories on small plays like a run for two yards on 1st down. I don't EXPECT the little stories that you hear in real life, but I do expect normal commentary to be done well.

Something small that I notice Nantz often calling game that would be nice to hear in Madden is when a man is sent in motion.

Nantz: Hines Ward shifts out of the backfield
[ball snap] [quick pump fake and throw to the middle]
Quick fake, he goes middle looking for Hines and no flag. [Player name] on the coverage.

I'm not bothered by "he" comments too much. Nantz uses "he" a lot in real life too.

At the beginning of the 2nd quarter:

Nantz: 3rd and 12... Tebow... Launches the long ball for Thomas AND THAT'S A CATCH AT THE 30 OF PITTSBURGH, THE PLAY WEHAVE BEEN WAITING FOR FOR WEEKS! He beats Ike Taylor for 51

The last bit about the play we have been waiting for for weeks doesn't need to be in the game, but it would be nice... the fact is that he gets excited by a 51 yard 3rd and 12 conversion at the beginning of the 2nd quarter... not just a TD pass.

Also, even in real life, there is some dead air while Tebow scrambles around buying time... and when he does talk, he doesn't say much until after the catch. So, be fair when we talk about how "stale" it sounds. I think these are examples of little differences and possible improvements.

# 165 jpdavis82 @ 05/15/12 01:59 PM
Here's an actual game with Nantz and Simms from last season, opening scene and display graphics are almost exactly like what you saw in the pregame video of Madden 13. To see a side by side comparison of Simms and Nantz in the booth in real life and in Madden, pause real life at :14, and Madden 13 video at 24:03. Play the pregame audio at the same time and you actually can't tell which is which unless you know the lines.

Pregame Intro at 23:50

# 166 tanner75 @ 05/15/12 02:21 PM
Not heard the "magic happen " yet! Lol

# 167 jpdavis82 @ 05/15/12 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner75
Not heard the "magic happen " yet! Lol
There's 82 hours of commentary, you've heard like what 8 minutes tops? That's 1/100th

# 168 jpdavis82 @ 05/15/12 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
The problem I have is that all of these vids are always underwhelming. When PG posted that video of NBA 2k, I was completely "wow'ed". I don't remember the last time that happened with a Madden game. Maybe back in 1993? I want them to show me something that is so realistic, and so awesome that I am about to fall back in my chair. That's literally what seeing that NBA 2k video did to me. I had the very first NBA 2k game and the last one I bought/played was 2k8. It's unbelievable to me how much better that game has gotten. If you look quickly, you can't tell the difference between it and a real game. The sound included! That's what I am clamoring for out of Madden. To say that it is remotely close is just plain silly. Madden is comparable to 10 yard fight in relation to that.
Hopefully that will happen June 4th, sounds like it may. I'm waiting for that "moment" with Madden too.

# 169 WildFan22 @ 05/15/12 02:42 PM
I'm waiting for more longer gameplay videos to pass judgement on the commentary but I'm not hearing anything close to the quality heard in other sports games. Are we are hearing a rough version of the finished product?

My fingers are crossed.

# 170 tanner75 @ 05/15/12 02:45 PM
Hope to hear and see the magic on the 4th June. I have a feeling they are holding something back this year...

# 171 jpdavis82 @ 05/15/12 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFan22
I'm waiting for more longer gameplay videos to pass judgement on the commentary but I'm not hearing anything close to the quality heard in other sports games. Are we are hearing a rough version of the finished product?

My fingers are crossed.
The audio director for Madden 13 tweeted me about this today, it's a version that's way out of date

Matt Bialosuknia ‏ @mbialosuknia
@jpdavis1982 Not sure when that OS/Pasta Padre mix was captured but it's way out of date. Stay tuned for updates.

# 172 macavity @ 05/15/12 04:20 PM
Wow. I see now that commentary in Madden is the same as swinging in Tiger Woods - the more EA promise, the less they deliver. Bialosuknia's undoubtedly correct when he says the commentary's out of date....compared to other sports titles, it's about 3 years out of date.

# 173 JoSiiF @ 05/15/12 04:22 PM
Idk how anybody thought that the comentary on that clip was good, it sounded terrible. When he picked the ball up for a touchdown he wasnt excited at all and the sttiching was pretty bad. i see they didnt change anything other than the uniforms.. no new cleats or gloves and the sleaves look the same and the body types still look like **** :/

# 174 bakesalee @ 05/15/12 04:44 PM
If it's in the game, we're looking into it.

# 175 emotley18 @ 05/15/12 04:46 PM
Did they put Madden 10 or 11 in the system by mistake? This looks no different. players still gliding on catches. I do not think I will be purchasing this again.

# 176 raguel @ 05/15/12 04:55 PM
The one thing I do like about the vid are the new catch animations. I don't know the reason why but when I play Madden 12 I see a lot of behind-the-receiver catch animations, even if the ball is placed in front of the receiver. I haven't noticed it once in Madden 13 clips.

# 177 TheUndogmatic @ 05/15/12 05:09 PM
I like it. Smooth, fluid, their voices are good, informative, and in-depth. They don't really show all that much emotion, but they show enough, and that's fine. A huge improvement over Madden 12.

# 178 jmurphy31 @ 05/15/12 05:16 PM
Last year people complained that that Gus was over the top in weird spots, Three years ago it was Hammond was too Boring, and now Simms and Nantz go back to being low key. You would think they could find a middle level

I know people have said its an early build, but how do you take what was recorded and add enthusiasm or excitement to it.

Like i said in an earlier post, how do you highlight big plays and none show any emotion.

Now I may be able to live with the dull commentary, if they can do a few things

1. Get the timing down. The touch back was so delayed as was the Touchdown call
  2. have it make sense. Last year was not very good to say the least with just inaccurate statements

# 179 ryan36 @ 05/15/12 05:21 PM
Very disappointing. The crowd still goes silent when the commentary does. It's still choppy. We're on our 3rd commentary team in 4 games, but if I had to go on this video alone... the changes haven't helped. The announcers can go silent IF THE CROWD STAYS LOUD!!! It doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to program.

...and why in sports video games does a crowd get loud for 4 seconds during a big play , and then go to a murmur? The crowd stays excited for much longer after a big play.

# 180 roadman @ 05/15/12 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Very disappointing. The crowd still goes silent when the commentary does. It's still choppy. We're on our 3rd commentary team in 4 games, but if I had to go on this video alone... the changes haven't helped. The announcers can go silent IF THE CROWD STAYS LOUD!!! It doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to program.

...and why in sports video games does a crowd get loud for 4 seconds during a big play , and then go to a murmur? The crowd stays excited for much longer after a big play.
Ryan;
Not sure if you saw info posted by JP, but he tweeted the Sound Designer and he said I'm not sure how old the OS/Pasta Padre game play is but it's an old mix. He also said stay tuned for the future.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.