Home
News Post

It's an age old debate of safety vs. sanctity. With rumors swirling that the NFL might go as far as eliminating kickoffs, and with knee/thigh pads being required to be worn by players (among many other cases) starting in 2013 the question is simple: is Roger Goodell ruining a once great game by overreaching/dumbing down the game or is he doing the right thing protecting the players?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 21 RGiles36 @ 05/23/12 03:59 PM
My roommate and I had this conversation 2-3 weeks ago about the direction the league is going i.e. protecting defenseless players, stepping up concussion analysis/procedures, protecting QBs, etc.

Honestly, I'm all for it. I know "purists" (using that term loosely) think the game is changing too radically, and I get that. But as much as I love football, I don't want people getting signficantly hurt or being vegetables during their post-career.

I like that their is decreased opportunity for QBs to get hurt. Do they essentially play flag football with QBs? No, but that's a popular exaggeration. Ask Matt Schaub and Michael Vick is it flag football.

I could go on a long diatribe about this topic. But in short, I like how the league has transended itself and adjusted to make the game a bit safer. I only hope that the rule changes don't go much further than what they have.

The only stupid thing Goodell continues to push is the 18 game season. FOH with that...

# 22 Retropyro @ 05/23/12 04:00 PM
It's funny when you listen to players, specifically former players. They go on and on how badass they were and how tough the game use to be. They take pride in it and they brag about it endlessly, saying the players today are too protected.
Then they turn around and try to sue the league for "creating" and unsafe environment.
Goodell is just the front man, the face of it all. He stands in front of the camera's and say's what the owners as a group want him to.
Personally I hope kickoffs stay. Maybe switch to the CFL rule, eliminate the fair catch but create the 5 yard zone where the coverage team can not enter it until the returner has the ball. Keeps guys from running full tilt for 30+ yards straight into the returner, unless they time it perfectly but it still gives the returner the chance to secure the ball and look up field.

# 23 N51_rob @ 05/23/12 04:04 PM
As much as I don't like Goodell. He comes off the me like a used car salesman. Sly smlie, able to nimbly dance around questions. His punishments don't seem to be equitable from player to player, bad act to bad act. I can't say he is going to far.

I mean most of the rule changes that I hate, (ie, don't you even think about looking at a QB the wrong way.) are coming from the competition committee. Not from him.

So, no I don't think he is going to far yet, but there is something about that guy that rubs me the wrong way.

# 24 KDWilliams85 @ 05/23/12 04:12 PM
As someone who has played, I can vouch for his conduct regarding safety. It hurts to get hit in the thigh and knees with pretty hard equipment every day and every week.

As for kickoffs, it was part of the game before. It does nothing to compromise the safety of the players no more than punt returns or even running regular plays. In that respect, he has gone too far. Now, for the Pro Bowl... it's needless. There is no point in having it considering that it's just a farce anyway.

# 25 RUFFNREADY @ 05/23/12 04:34 PM
Roger Goodell, is doing what he paid to do; and that is to make the League lots of money!!!! And keep a negative light off of the NFL. Wearing more pads, and changing more rules (safety concerns), and taking away kickoffs; will not change anything much; why, because American football is a full contact sport; and injuries happen on every play in a game or at practice. Once your body has been injured, you may not feel the pain now, but later on in your life after football. Our bodies naturally break down over time, and playing extreme sports with lots of contact breaks it down faster. That is why players are looking for huge contracts, to take care of them for the after football years, where they will need more extra care. The competition committee makes all of the rule changes anyways, so Goodell can focus on the PR of the league, and large lawsuits against. nuff said.

cheers

# 26 RJTurneR @ 05/23/12 05:48 PM
It's a very hard balancing act.

Getting rid of kick-off's I wouldn't be too bothered about, there only fun when the receiving team scores anyway.

The whole thing with the pads I'm totally with. That doesn't take away from the entertainment factor. It just means players body's will hopefully stay together longer.

With the whole concussion thing as well, should it be made so all teams/players must wear the more modern helmets? Like the newer Revo one's? Obviously all helmets are designed with good protection, but I can only assume to more modern helmets such as the Revo's are the better helmet.

# 27 StarnugskiN @ 05/23/12 06:22 PM
Until the commissioner releases the evidence pertaining to the players in New Orleans, my verdict is still out on whether he is overreaching or not. Note: the films from spy gate and the Patriots were never released to the public and there seems to be differing perspectives about the manner in which Goodell handled Gregg Williams and his said bounty system with Saints players.

Safety should be priority, though the millions of dollars the NFL is being sued for by former players definitely puts a swing on recent changes and rumors. The enforcing of pads is part safety, part covering their behinds after being ignorant to the fact players haven't been wearing them for decades. And I wouldn't put it past Goodell and the NFL to remove the kickoff years down the road after nerfing it last season into one of the dullest plays in the game. Once fans forget the nerfing (the spot of the ball has moved back and forth overtime), it wouldn't surprise me if the common fan would be the one begging for its removal!

My ONE big beef with Commissioner Goodell is he suspends Jonathan Vilma for a year without showing proof (for now), yet an athlete who's found GUILTY of a crime outside of the game can receive little to no punishment. "Role models" such as Cedric Benson, received 20 days in prison for assault before last season but NO punishment by the Commish. When you're paid to play a game being watched by millions all over the world, a higher standard comes with the territory. And it should be equal.

# 28 mestevo @ 05/23/12 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarnugskiN
Until the commissioner releases the evidence pertaining to the players in New Orleans, my verdict is still out on whether he is overreaching or not. Note: the films from spy gate and the Patriots were never released to the public and there seems to be differing perspectives about the manner in which Goodell handled Gregg Williams and his said bounty system with Saints players.

Safety should be priority, though the millions of dollars the NFL is being sued for by former players definitely puts a swing on recent changes and rumors. The enforcing of pads is part safety, part covering their behinds after being ignorant to the fact players haven't been wearing them for decades. And I wouldn't put it past Goodell and the NFL to remove the kickoff years down the road after nerfing it last season into one of the dullest plays in the game. Once fans forget the nerfing (the spot of the ball has moved back and forth overtime), it wouldn't surprise me if the common fan would be the one begging for its removal!

My ONE big beef with Commissioner Goodell is he suspends Jonathan Vilma for a year without showing proof (for now), yet an athlete who's found GUILTY of a crime outside of the game can receive little to no punishment. "Role models" such as Cedric Benson, received 20 days in prison for assault before last season but NO punishment by the Commish. When you're paid to play a game being watched by millions all over the world, a higher standard comes with the territory. And it should be equal.
Goodell said all evidence will be released once appeals have been exhausted, and Cedric Benson was suspended 3 days, but that was complicated by the whole lockout side deal where the NFLPA allowed specific players to be punished, and in the end served a 1 game suspension.

# 29 cusefan74 @ 05/23/12 07:23 PM
I think getting rid of kickoffs is insane. As far as making players where pads, it's about time. I think Goodell is doing a fairly good job with things for the most part. He is in a tough spot. Trying to clean up dirty hits and such, and the players complaining if they get fined. Then on the other hand he has retired players suing the league for hits they took for years. Tough job he has right now.

# 30 Chrisksaint @ 05/23/12 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Goodell said all evidence will be released once appeals have been exhausted, and Cedric Benson was suspended 3 days, but that was complicated by the whole lockout side deal where the NFLPA allowed specific players to be punished, and in the end served a 1 game suspension.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-made-public/

We'll see, and knowing Goodell this could be accurate to what Florio is saying

# 31 Greatness @ 05/23/12 08:26 PM
Yes, Roger Goodell is going too far.

# 32 ubernoob @ 05/23/12 08:42 PM
Goodell is completely within his rights to do this as the commish.

As far as the Cedric Benson thing... That's not something that happened in the NFL-realm. He had to pay back the community through his sentence. It's not the NFL's place to judge there. If the team still wants him back, they are completely within their right to do it.

I don't know why these things seem so complicated to some. On-Field = NFL Realm. Complete power.

Off-Field = Civilian judge/jury realm. The two are not intertwined, unless every team decides that a player is not worth the trouble he brings. Big deal.

It's not life and death. So your favorite team got busted after warning to stop? Keep the tears flowing.

Superstars are not role models inherently. They may be, but only after proving themselves. If you let your kid look up to someone that consistently shows his *** on a public stage, that's poor parenting.

# 33 Reed1417 @ 05/23/12 08:51 PM
i have no problem with the mandatory thigh and knee pads because i think they should be worn anyway i think it's silly to not wear them but what do i know? i'm more of a baseball guy and i can say that i've never played organized football. but taking kickoffs away i highly doubt that is going to happen.

# 34 SPTO @ 05/23/12 09:41 PM
On the one hand i'm glad to see a commissioner who actually has clout doing what he believes is right and honestly, a lot of the things he's done i'm in general agreement with. I do think some of the safety rules have gone a bit far but a lot of that is to cover the NFL's butt when it comes to the various lawsuits being filed these days.

I only wish MLB had a commissioner with the power that Goodell has. Like it or not, the power he wields is the kind of power that every commissioner should have to one degree or another.

# 35 StarnugskiN @ 05/23/12 10:38 PM
I do know Goodell said he will release the evidence, I think I posted I was waiting for that to come to the public because that's the hot item in the NFL drama right now. It's shady that it has taken him this long.

Thank you for the clarification on Benson's penalty (honestly). If I remember correctly, didn't he appeal the punishment Goodell gave him stating, "it was off-field= civilian judge/jury realm."?

I'm not referring to superstars in the NFL being role models, I'm referring to every player on an NFL team respectfully understanding their role in a position of power/influence. Whether you believe it or not, fans (not just children) are impressionable enough to think those things are okay. Do you think Cincinnati's Mayor likes the idea of his city's runningback representing the team as a criminal? I'm from O-H-I-O and I can sadly say that city doesn't need that impression anymore than it already has. Agree to disagree, but until that evidence comes out Jonathan Vilma is getting the SHAFT(can u dig it?) in comparison to foul players like Benson.

# 36 bkrich83 @ 05/24/12 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
2 things i don't want... 18 game schedule and eliminating kickoffs

But i see 0 reason why NFL players shouldn't be mandated to wear thigh and knee pads. I saw Brian Dawkins say today that players would be worried about anything slowing them down. Really? Thigh & knee pads are going to slow you down? High School and college players seem to move just fine with them.

And if the NFL makes them mandatory chances are Nike will develop new technology and thigh/ knee pads than the old school ones out there now. And with new equipment it will trickle down to the college, high school, and pop warner levels. Plus it sets a good example.
I will say this, they do slow you down, and they are not comfortable. In college I basically cut them down to almost nothing. Not even sure how I was allowed to play with them under NCAA rules.

In my brief foray in to football post college, I did not wear thigh or knee pads, and much preferred it that way. Much less restrictive, much more comfortable and yes you feel quicker. To be honest, I find thigh and knee pads to be almost useless. I can't ever remember a time from pop warner to HS to College to beyond where I ever felt my knee or thigh pads saved me from an injury.

# 37 bkrich83 @ 05/24/12 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR173rd
I also listened to some guy try to explain the other day how wearing mouth guards will significantly decrease concussions which I find to be a little far fetched.
Mouthpieces do decrease concussions.

# 38 da ThRONe @ 05/24/12 12:54 AM
This is all a mirage. This whole "We care only because were being sued" thing is getting old. These are the same people who forced the players to choose between player safety and things like the leagues unethical power structure. They wanted to add two regular season games just this very past CBA, yet have the gall to say they care about player safety.

The sad part about this whole nonsense is the players are suing because they're saying the league withheld vital info in the past about concussions. All the safety changes in the world can't protect the shield if what the retired players are claiming is true.

# 39 bkrich83 @ 05/24/12 12:56 AM
I will say watching Saints fans with an obvious axe to grind is funny though.

# 40 Jr. @ 05/24/12 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR173rd
I also listened to some guy try to explain the other day how wearing mouth guards will significantly decrease concussions which I find to be a little far fetched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Mouthpieces do decrease concussions.
Yep. There have been a number of studies showing that a good mouthpiece can help align the jaw and can reduce concussions on certain types of impacts.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.