Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

It all seemed too good to be true.

Now after this week's bombshells that you cannot edit players in connected careers or play any other games in the mode other than your own, it seems like the Madden team is once again forcing you to play your game their way. To me, this is a huge problem. Others of you? Maybe not so much. But let's hear it: Has the 'closed' nature of Connected Careers turned you away and/or cooled your enthusiasm about Madden NFL 13?

Sound off!

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 gjneff @ 06/13/12 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
See I just can't wrap my head around this. You are welcome to feel the way you do. Trust me I sincerely feel that way, but to me this is just minor.

The MAJOR part of the game for me is the PLAYING part. Calling plays, moving my players around, making tackles, scoring TDs, sacks, etc. If that is improved I can live without the editing for a year or so
That's great that it won't matter to you, but why minimize it's importants to me? How my players look on the field is part of game play to me, and position changes is a most basic part of football.

As far as game play goes, the part I'm most curious about is if the CPU is smarter than they have been in the past. Do they utilize their weapons? If they have a stud receiver do they try to get him the ball all game. Vice versa, if I have a stud, do they focus their defense on him? If I run a slant all day will adjust to try and stop it? These are the real game play issues to me, even more than physics.

# 162 btemp @ 06/13/12 06:07 PM
To answer the OP, yes. I am concerned that CC will be broken in significant ways (even if CC turns out to be great, the initial implementation WILL have problems) and that I will not be able to change parts of it.

Any problems with progression, ratings, rookies, etc. and we're hooped.

# 163 bcruise @ 06/13/12 06:12 PM
Owen Good's take:

http://kotaku.com/5918199/what-exact...it-taking-away

(eh, forgot this is a front page article + comments; delete if you need to, mods.)

# 164 BrianFifaFan @ 06/13/12 06:21 PM
Nope. Like I said when it was first announced, it's like my Fifa 12 Career Mode on steroids. So it will be a familiar experience. I never really used any of the "lost" features, and was in the "bring Head Coach into Madden" camp.

As a side observation, it seems that Madden, Fifa and NHL have the same template with variations based on the specific sport. I have a feeling this is the standard template going forward and will end up being implemented in NBA Live (if it survives) and NCAA. I have an inkling this is based on the online architecture. Even though I'm not a big online guy, I am kind of impressed with the flexibility and headroom this possibly offers. I can be a Superstar player against a whole team? I think that's kind of neat. While I, like many other offline heads, am kind of feeling this might have some huge holes in it's initial offering, I am very intrigued as to what the future holds for this mode. I love my Fifa CM; C.C. already has more depth than it in it's first year....

# 165 blklightning @ 06/13/12 06:28 PM
No. They haven't taken away any features that I use. I'm more interested in stuff like the Twitter feed. I like my sports franchise modes to feel alive. Editing players and playing other teams' games doesn't do that for me.

# 166 Purple28Pedestrian @ 06/13/12 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan
you think it's pathetic that a family who's used to playing the game together won't buy it because now they can't?
This is fundamental to any "multi-player" gaming, i don't care if its xbox, nintendo or jenga....games were built to be played together. I'm all for people making online friends...but dont kill any ability to play with a real live human sitting by your side...nobody start on "play now games" or having two tvs xboxes, XBL etc because that's just silly.

Heaven forbid we want to play madden with family.

# 167 PRAY IV M3RCY @ 06/13/12 06:33 PM
More time is gonna be spent adding in stuff we already had for future installments delaying what new features we could already be having by now. Thats my biggest pet peeve. Im still waiting until me and my friends are able to control the same team...r heck a spectator mode r something.

# 168 The Senator @ 06/13/12 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
but guys... Skip Bayless will tweet about his love for Tebow. Isn't that more important? Having the most annoying person on tv invade your video game to tweet about Tebow.
I think that most of us can agree that including Skip Bayless in any form, is subtraction by addition.

Answering the question, yes, the complete lack of player control over CC has changed me from a first day purchase based on the amazing gameplay upgrades, and the better presentation, to waiting for Madden 14. I don't want to use EA's rosters in my franchise, and I don't really play the game much outside of it other than to play some friends head to head.(I never play sports games online)

If they would give the ability to edit things and control all the teams(call it GM/Commish mode or something), even if they had to switch it off for online by default, that would bring back a large amount of good will.

# 169 aukevin @ 06/13/12 06:35 PM
Cooled me down a bunch. The lack of draft classes is still the worse for me.

# 170 mpt54 @ 06/13/12 06:38 PM
It's a downer, but still can't wait to play it though to see what it offers.

# 171 TreyIM2 @ 06/13/12 06:46 PM
Uhh, no...

# 172 JayD @ 06/13/12 06:46 PM
Nope, I like the direction it is going and people need to stop freaking out being that it's only year one of this completely new format.

# 173 gjneff @ 06/13/12 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
No. They haven't taken away any features that I use. I'm more interested in stuff like the Twitter feed. I like my sports franchise modes to feel alive. Editing players and playing other teams' games doesn't do that for me.
So you never change a players position? What do you do when you have 2 LLB that are better than your RLB? Just play them in the wrong spot in your depth chart? That hurts their ratings in previous maddens.

# 174 bichettehappens @ 06/13/12 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjneff
So you never change a players position? What do you do when you have 2 LLB that are better than your RLB? Just play them in the wrong spot in your depth chart? That hurts their ratings in previous maddens.
You sure about that? Every time I've put a left on the right or vice versa their rating has been the same. It changed in the middle for instance, but left to right have always been the same in my experience

But again, overall means nothing.

# 175 bichettehappens @ 06/13/12 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wista5
I signed up just to post how upset I am by this. I like letting the CPU make all trade, draft, and free agent signings and I just play the games I want and let the league play out itself. I like using more than one team because it gets boring just controlling my Raiders. What if some hot-shot overall 1st round QB gets drafted by a team I can't control? I never get the benefit of playing as him and seeing how good he is.
You can switch to control just him individually or control his entire team. Unless you're wanting to do both that and continue with the Raiders simultaneously

# 176 Evan_OS @ 06/13/12 07:01 PM
Haven't turned me away at all. They got rid of a couple of things, but introduced something so much bigger than the modes that we're thrown out. No sense in getting our panties in a wad over a few modes when something HUGE was just added IMO.

# 177 WillisFaithful @ 06/13/12 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjneff
When was the last time ratings mattered?

# 178 StL_RamZ @ 06/13/12 07:16 PM
It went from a first day buy to a first day buy lol

I usually get games early so I guess a week before buy

# 179 Rondo is GOD @ 06/13/12 07:29 PM
absolutely. I have always spent hours going through and editing the new rookies after year one. changing numbers, changing equipment the whole 9 yards. sometimes it's funner than actually playing.

# 180 BrianFifaFan @ 06/13/12 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wista5
I signed up just to post how upset I am by this. I like letting the CPU make all trade, draft, and free agent signings and I just play the games I want and let the league play out itself. I like using more than one team because it gets boring just controlling my Raiders. What if some hot-shot overall 1st round QB gets drafted by a team I can't control? I never get the benefit of playing as him and seeing how good he is.

This is why I can't get into Fifa and NHL Hockey. Gameplay is great in both games and I like playing one-off games but I cant get into BE A GM mode because I am stuck playing as my Sharks over and over and it gets boring. What if I want to play a game as Sid the kid with the Penguins or Ovechkin with the Capitals.

I buy and play almost every sports game every year, but this is why NBA 2K and MLB the Show get the majority of my play time. Great Gameplay plus great franchise modes. EA is just pissing me off and screwing-up my hobby.
I love NBA2k's Association, play it a ton. But I also love my ManU CM in Fifa12. Why? Because I am a Cavs fan and a ManU fan. I see your point, as well as a lot of the other guys, but I offer this. I am 45 years old. Started cheering for the Bengals in '88 with Boomer at the helm. Now we're finally back to Andy Dalton as the first legit QB we've had. If I was playing one Franchise mode that included them all I would've seen a bunch of crappy QB's come and go, as well as many other Bengal greats and not so greats. A lot of guys have been saying they want realism, but how could you duplicate the Boomer to Dalton reality? You can't use NCAA, it's only 4 years worth of guys at best. Custom rosters? Still tied to NCAA in real life.

At some point there will be a fantasy aspect to try and keep playing for 30 seasons. And it wouldn't last as long as people think, based on the pace you would have to play 30 season before next Madden. Even if I play at a pace to make this last a full 12 months, Andy Dalton retires in 6 months, if I'm lucky. I've also got a full 8-9 years of fake players filling the league.

I guess my overall point is this. I am a fan of the organization/team first. The players are secondary. They will come and go if I stick with my Career/Franchise/Association long enough. I understand the point about not being able to play other games. I really get the not being able to play with other friends on the same console. I guess where I have found myself befuddled at the level of anger is the whole ratings/equipment editing/accurate rosters thing. Any videogame "career" mode is going to turn towards the fantasy element pretty darn quick, that is if the gameplay holds a person long enough....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.