Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

The '92 Dream Team & 2012 Olympic team will be featured in NBA 2K13. Charles Barkley is in, but Scottie Pippen couldn't get a deal worked out.

It's cool we get to battle it out between these 2 teams, but with Pippen off the roster, it puts a definite blemish on the announcement.

Check out the higher resolution NBA 2K13 screenshot, featuring the 92 Dream Team, right here.

NBA 2K13 to Feature 2012 USA Basketball Men’s National Team and Legendary 1992 "Dream Team"

2K Sports proudly announces partnership with USA Basketball for NBA 2K13

2K Sports today announced a partnership with USA Basketball to feature both the star-studded 2012 USA Basketball Men’s National Team and the 1992 “Dream Team” in NBA 2K13, the next installment of the top-selling and top-rated NBA video game simulation franchise*.

“As executive producer, letting fans go head to head with these legendary USA teams was extremely important to JAY Z,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “We are excited to partner with USA Basketball, and share in JAY Z’s enthusiasm in making this a reality in NBA 2K13.”

The 2012 USA Basketball Men’s National Team has earned recognition as one of USA Basketball’s all-time greatest teams. NBA 2K13 cover athlete Kevin Durant helped lead the USA to its successful showing and joins the elite list of accomplished basketball players who have represented USA Basketball.

“It was an incredible blessing to have been part of the 2012 USA Basketball National Team,” said Durant. “USA Basketball's National Team legacy is incredible and so many of basketball’s all-time greats have been part of it, I’m just honored to be in that group. Like everybody, I can’t wait to see how our squad stacks up against the 1992 team in NBA 2K13.”

The original “Dream Team” is widely considered the most dominant sports team ever assembled, and featured 11 Hall of Fame players including Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Karl Malone, Chris Mullin, David Robinson and Charles Barkley.

“The experience we shared in Barcelona is truly one of the highlights of my career,” said five-time NBA MVP and former NBA 2K cover athlete Michael Jordan. “Being able to represent not only my country but basketball as a whole is an honor that I will never forget.”

“The fantasy matchup between the legendary 1992 ‘Dream Team’ and the 2012 USA Men’s national team has become one of the greatest sports debates of our time,” stated JAY Z, the Executive Producer of NBA 2K13. “In NBA 2K13, we’re giving fans the opportunity to play as two of the best teams ever assembled in sporting history, literally putting the debate right into their hands.”

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio, NBA 2K13 is not yet rated by the ESRB and will be available on October 2, 2012 in North America and October 5, 2012 internationally for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, Wii™ system and Windows PC. The Wii U™ version of the title will be available during the holiday season. Fans are encouraged to pre-order now at participating retailers in order to receive the NBA All-Star content on day one at no extra cost.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 341 iLLmatic @ 08/15/12 05:16 PM
My brother has worked in the media licensing business for the last 11 years, and here's how he told me this stuff USUALLY goes down:

The Bulls and the Olympic team rights are separate since the Bulls are a part of the NBA and the Olympic team(s) are organized and ran by the United States Olympic committee. The players are from the NBA but outside of that it has nothing to do with the NBA and/or its player association rules and regulations therefore making it a separate entity and the deals for such a team would be a completely different negotiation since the team itself is not connected to the NBA.

Therefore Pippen could sign off on an agreement to be on the NBA related content such as the Bulls classic teams yet he also has the right to say no to any other uses of his likeness on any non NBA related content. It appears that it's possible all the other players signed off for a particular price which included both NBA and Olympic related content, while Scottie may have wanted a separate side deal for him to be included on the '92 Dream Team.

I don't know if this is exactly what happened, but I do know that my brother told me this is how this stuff works when trying to negotiate deals with clients for use of their work and likeness on the same project that includes more than one companies/organizations being represented on the same project. In the licensing world its called "double dipping".

# 342 MiMs277 @ 08/15/12 05:18 PM

# 343 Gman 18 @ 08/15/12 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLmatic
My brother has worked in the media licensing business for the last 11 years, and here's how he told me this stuff USUALLY goes down:

The Bulls and the Olympic team rights are separate since the Bulls are a part of the NBA and the Olympic team(s) are organized and ran by the United States Olympic committee. The players are from the NBA but outside of that it has nothing to do with the NBA and/or its player association rules and regulations therefore making it a separate entity and the deals for such a team would be a completely different negotiation since the team itself is not connected to the NBA.

Therefore Pippen could sign off on an agreement to be on the NBA related content such as the Bulls classic teams yet he also has the right to say no to any other uses of his likeness on any non NBA related content. It appears that it's possible all the other players signed off for a particular price which included both NBA and Olympic related content, while Scottie may have wanted a separate side deal for him to be included on the '92 Dream Team.

I don't know if this is exactly what happened, but I do know that my brother told me this is how this stuff works when trying to negotiate deals with clients for use of their work and likeness on the same project that includes more than one companies/organizations being represented on the same project. In the licensing world its called "double dipping".
I hope you are right.

# 344 redsfan4life @ 08/15/12 05:23 PM
This announcement doesn't really excite me, but then again I wasn't getting my hopes up. The good stuff is yet to come I'm sure.

# 345 Gman 18 @ 08/15/12 05:26 PM
For you guys who complain about the cyberfaces being from the wrong time, the dream team is still in development. I'm sure when 2k13 comes out, players will have the right cyberface for 1992. The game is coming out in 2 months. Everything is still in development.

# 346 Da_Czar @ 08/15/12 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman 18
But I don't get it at all. would'nt Pippen accept the money they gave him since he filed for bankruptcy. He appeared in every 2k game I know of since at least 12 years ago. This doesn't make any sense at all.
Some people overvalue their worth. Some people WAY over value their worth.

# 347 jr2424 @ 08/15/12 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Griffery Jr.
Off topic: Love the screen name. Best defensive center field I ever saw and the reason I played the outfield in high school. Sorry guys, back to NBA 2K13.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

# 348 Da_Czar @ 08/15/12 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
Just had this short text conversation with a friend...

Me- Yo...You see that 2K finally added bounce passes to the game!? I'm about to kill you with that Nash-Dwight PnR combo!

Friend- Na I didnt. But Ima get 2K this year for sure. JayZ gonna be producing it this year man!

Me- Do you even know what that means?

Friend- Na. Whats it mean?

Take that for what its worth. Lol
FANTASTIC. THAT is exactly why you add dream teams classic teams and Have Jay Z EP your game it has NOTHING to do with us. Why market to us ? We are going to buy the dam thing anyway.

One day people will understand that marketing for these games is almost never directed at the hardcore fanbase.

# 349 aloncho11 @ 08/15/12 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockitOldSchool
I'm praying that's the case, and hoping we don't have 11 Dream Teamers and 1 generic dude named "John Brown."
I think it's going to be that way or maybe 2K can have the first 11 player squad in the history of their game...

After all, the reason for the all the Robert Williams', etc. was because the regular squads from the game are programmed to have a at least 12 players (so far).

# 350 beast10 @ 08/15/12 06:16 PM
Uhh , No Pippen means no classic Bulls?

# 351 Gman 18 @ 08/15/12 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLmatic

Read this beast10 and you'll get your answer.

# 352 Sinner @ 08/15/12 06:31 PM
I'm happy with this and can't wait for whatever mode they are used for. Will be fun just running with this team from time to time. Wish Scotty was in it but oh well...maybe 2k should play hard ball with him

2k: Ok we're calling with our original offer to ask you again if you would like to be in our game on the Dream Team

Scotty: I said no

2k: Well you can take our offer and get paid for being in the game, or you can say no again
and some of the fans who use these programs will put you in the game. there's nothing we can do to stop it....and you don't get paid.

Scotty:........ fax over the papers

come on 2k take off the gloves!

but seriously i'm liking where this game is going so far

# 353 MarvinOida @ 08/15/12 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman 18
Read this beast10 and you'll get your answer.
So in somewhat basic words this:

Pippen signed on for NBA classic teams, but not FIBA or the US Committee classic teams, therefore, Pippen is only signed for the Chicago Bulls, Portland Trail Blazers, whatever team he was on that would be a classic team, not the Dream Team because it is not a NBA-related team, but part of FIBA, which is different. In which 2 separate contracts (and/or bonuses to already existing legends on 2K) are needed to be used to get Team USA rights and the players in a Team USA team. So that means Pippen WILL be on the Bulls with Michael, but not on the Dream Team.

# 354 TMagic @ 08/15/12 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
I'm happy with this and can't wait for whatever mode they are used for. Will be fun just running with this team from time to time. Wish Scotty was in it but oh well...maybe 2k should play hard ball with him

2k: Ok we're calling with our original offer to ask you again if you would like to be in our game on the Dream Team

Scotty: I said no

2k: Well you can take our offer and get paid for being in the game, or you can say no again
and some of the fans who use these programs will put you in the game. there's nothing we can do to stop it....and you don't get paid.

Scotty:........ fax over the papers

come on 2k take off the gloves!

but seriously i'm liking where this game is going so far
I was going to give your post a like bc I found it humorous, but then changed my mind after I saw you spelled "Scottie" with a "Y".

# 355 Sinner @ 08/15/12 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
I was going to give your post a like bc I found it humorous, but then changed my mind after I saw you spelled "Scottie" with a "Y".

yeah I did that didn't I heh

# 356 eko718 @ 08/15/12 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
So in somewhat basic words this:

Pippen signed on for NBA classic teams, but not FIBA or the US Committee classic teams, therefore, Pippen is only signed for the Chicago Bulls, Portland Trail Blazers, whatever team he was on that would be a classic team, not the Dream Team because it is not a NBA-related team, but part of FIBA, which is different. In which 2 separate contracts (and/or bonuses to already existing legends on 2K) are needed to be used to get Team USA rights and the players in a Team USA team. So that means Pippen WILL be on the Bulls with Michael, but not on the Dream Team.
I wouldn't get my hopes up. They said they could not reach an agreement to have his likeness in NBA 2K13. That sounds like it encompasses the Dream Team, Bulls, whoever.

Honestly I don't see the point of getting Barkley if he can only be used on the Dream Team and if it was at the expense of Pippen, virtually nullifying all the Bulls classic teams except the 85' one. When people asked for Barkley they wanted the man in the classic team mode. Seems counterproductive to get him for an incomplete Dream Team with only the 2012 National Team to play against considering the costs.

# 357 KyotoCarl @ 08/15/12 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigball12
Yeah makes a lot of sense. They couldn't reach a deal with the guy who filed for Chapter 11. The production budget of this game is essentially one of the biggest in the sports industry, pay the man what he wants and do it properly. Either get it 100% or don't do it at all!

Also, the fact that every one of these players was a shoe contracted player, and in the screenshot all except 3 are wearing those generic shoes is a joke!

Finally, if we can't use these teams online, this mode will be rendered useless for a lot of people, myself included.
So you found nothing good at all in today's announcement?

If the reason why Pippen's not in the game is as simple as you say it is then 2K would have found a way to make a deal. Not everything is as easy at it seems.

About the generic shoes; once again we don't know at all how the politics or reasoning works at 2K's office. Isn't the fact that the dream team is in the game more important than correct shoes in this one picture?

# 358 RustyBlue @ 08/15/12 07:52 PM
Who are we supposed to play the dream team against?

# 359 Kashanova @ 08/15/12 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby803
Who are we supposed to play the dream team against?
2012 team

10 char

# 360 Sundown @ 08/15/12 08:00 PM
Losing Pippen from all the classic teams would be way more horrible than gaining Barkley for Dream Team. We've gotten used to not having Barkley in our video games but if all of Jordan's championship teams are now missing their number 2 guy, I would consider this a huge net loss, especially when Dream Team is still incomplete and there's no historical team for them to play against. Give Chuck's money back to Pip if you have to.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.