Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

What a difference a year makes. For this basketball fan, last summer was painful. The NBA was in the midst of a lockout, the summer league was cancelled, free-agency was on hold and the prospect of missing a full season was all too real. By stark contrast, the Nike-penned motto "basketball never stops" which was conceived during that lockout, seems to be the theme this summer. Less than a month after the 2012 season ended, summer league began and then Olympic basketball shortly thereafter. With the Olympics now over, what has often been one of my favorite times of the year now begins: NBA 2K season.

The NBA 2K franchise currently stands at the pinnacle of video game basketball and, until NBA Live returns, has only itself for competition. This is a challenge the games’ developers seem to acknowledge, as they have repeatedly communicated a refusal to rest on their laurels but rather to push the envelope with each consecutive release. So what type of a difference has a year made for NBA 2K13? We are slowly finding out the details and they seem pretty legit.

So what am I looking for exactly? Here's my list of things that NBA 2K13 will have to do in order to 'win' this season for me...

Read More - NBA 2K13's Keys to Victory

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 kevmasood @ 08/17/12 03:06 PM
VERY GOOD post i must say the gameplay, new controls, online from the gate no lagging glaring issues from online.Online has to be on point. We need the online leagues,tournaments,and i hate to say this but for the ppl who likes crew mode besides me to work properly for online, the CLASSIC MODE most definitely they givin us the USA teams this game will put LIVE 13 or watever EA is duin concerning BASKETBALL in the GRAVE

# 2 LoSoisNiCEx414 @ 08/17/12 03:19 PM
Ima go into gamestop with my camera & ask them can I pre order NBA Live... See what they say. Then grt POd if they say I cant. Lol

# 3 johnpreyes @ 08/17/12 03:22 PM
I'd like for the tendencies to be redone. There were a lot of possessions where the AI would seem to wait until there's 5 seconds on the shot clock before launching a shot.

# 4 gabri3l3 @ 08/17/12 04:14 PM
I can't lie I don't agree with the issues reported in the article:

SPACING (The court is too jammed)
PASSING (Floaty passes + exagerrated momentum)

these are most glaring weaknesses for me

# 5 tommyboii2008 @ 08/17/12 04:16 PM
I agree with mostly everything ESPECIALLY the online problems, those definitely need to be addressed. One thing i disagree with is the ball physics. They only really seem to take affect when you press the sprint button and it goes off the back of a teammates foot, other than that it still feels magnetic to the players hand, which isnt a terrible thing..

# 6 Vni @ 08/17/12 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabri3l3

Is the court too small in nba 2K games? Sometimes it looks that way.

Also fatigue. It should be a big part of NBA games. I'am watching 2002 playoffs game 3 between LA and Spurs and man thoses guys are dead tired in the 4th. Everything on the court is affected by fatigue. I wish the way players move, or execute moves/jumper would translate fatigue. That would be an amazing addition.

# 7 barimanlhs @ 08/17/12 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboii2008
I agree with mostly everything ESPECIALLY the online problems, those definitely need to be addressed. One thing i disagree with is the ball physics. They only really seem to take affect when you press the sprint button and it goes off the back of a teammates foot, other than that it still feels magnetic to the players hand, which isnt a terrible thing..
I have a feeling that the ball physics thing is probably one of, if not the hardest thing to design becuase there are so many factors in play. Hand location, velocity of the ball bouncing, the direction you are traveling, how fast you are traveling...THEN you have the dribble moves themselves....has to be a technical nightmare.

I do hope that it becomes a reality at some point though, I can only imagine how well a game like that could play with a truely 100% tangible ball.

# 8 JasonMartin @ 08/17/12 04:33 PM
The spacing in 2K12 is definitely off, I hope they improve it for 2K13 and not put a lag on players (like you experience online) that they can't block you in time for example.

# 9 RemyLeBeau @ 08/17/12 05:19 PM
I'm glad these issues have been brought up, really hope 2k fixes these issues before release.
Another thing is keeping the game close intentionally to simulate a realistic box score. That makes the game feel scripted/forced.

# 10 Slava Medvadenko @ 08/17/12 05:38 PM
Great article. I agree with pretty much everything, especially bringing back combines and training camp in MP and your points about player movement.

# 11 mylifeishid @ 08/17/12 09:40 PM
So true about offensive rebounding. Just for fun, I put in a lineup of two Centers, and a PF and the computer still got 13 off. rebounds to my 1. Now that's crazy.

# 12 Vni @ 08/17/12 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylifeishid
So true about offensive rebounding. Just for fun, I put in a lineup of two Centers, and a PF and the computer still got 13 off. rebounds to my 1. Now that's crazy.
There are rosters/sliders that really help on that department. Try Tomba roster/sliders set and the Sim World's project's ones.

# 13 mylifeishid @ 08/17/12 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
There are rosters/sliders that really help on that department. Try Tomba roster/sliders set and the Sim World's project's ones.
I would but I'm in too deep with my association, going into year 6. But, I'll be downloading rosters in 2k13.

# 14 TeamBuilder @ 08/17/12 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

So what am I looking for exactly? Here's my list of things that NBA 2K13 will have to do in order to 'win' this season for me...

Read More - NBA 2K13's Keys to Victory
"Win" what? In the competition vs. an EA Sports NBA release? If so, it won't even be close.

# 15 nova91 @ 08/17/12 10:27 PM
I agree with almost everything except, I hated the "live ball" concept at times the ball was knocked loose too easily and you still had to screw around with the settings and things too much.

# 16 Joobieo @ 08/17/12 10:43 PM
All very good ideas, I hope they actually follow through in the game with these changes.

# 17 THE YAMA @ 08/18/12 09:14 AM
Nice write up here.

# 18 Vni @ 08/18/12 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx
Again, sliders has nothing to do with the AI's ability to rebound. It's an AI issue. If the AI is programmed to go after the boards, it will.
Rosters & sliders combo do help a lot in the rebound department. I'am not making stuff up, I just talk by experience.

# 19 TheLetterZ @ 08/18/12 09:25 AM
It's a good list of suggestions, but does NBA 2K13 REALLY have to do those things to "win?"

Come on. They'd win without doing any of those things.

# 20 raiderphantom @ 08/18/12 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmasood
VERY GOOD post i must say the gameplay, new controls, online from the gate no lagging glaring issues from online.Online has to be on point. We need the online leagues,tournaments,and i hate to say this but for the ppl who likes crew mode besides me to work properly for online, the CLASSIC MODE most definitely they givin us the USA teams this game will put LIVE 13 or watever EA is duin concerning BASKETBALL in the GRAVE
2k12 needs to be put in the grave. I'm thinking 2k13 will bury every other basketball game for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabri3l3

Spacing was bad but if you told your team to spread the floor they did a reasonable job. As far as passing goes I don't remember a game in the last 5 years where it was worse so they can only go up from here.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.