Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

2K Sports will be live streaming a full game of NBA 2K13 on Wednesday, September 19th at 5:00 PM EST. Check out the Oklahoma City Thunder (controlled by Ronnie2K) against the Miami Heat (controlled by LD2K). Here is the link to the live stream.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 361 piccolomair @ 09/21/12 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan Frank
Agreed. Blown dunks aren't very common in the NBA, kinda like broken ankles. There are maybe a dozen or two a season, and they always wind up on blooper reels and SportsCenter's Not Top 10.

I love 2K logic: contested 3's and midrange jumpers are cool, but uncontested layups and dunks? No can do. I lost count of how many dunks bounced out and layups hit the bottom of the rim in 2K12.
Id argue that blown dunks arent very common because most players dont just try to dunk every single time. Stamina does play a lot into whether or not you can get up there. In essence, if in the game the blown dunks are happening because the user is holding down the turbo button to finish aggressively (activating the dunk command) and then blowing the dunk, i feel that is accurate. Smarter players would learn not to abuse the turbo button or try to dunk the ball every time unless you are on of the special players who can (lebron, blake griffin, dwight howard).

Not all 7 footers are capable of dunking every single time, just like not all athletic freaks (derrick rose for example) dunk every time.

I guess 2k could have just designed it so that if your stamina wasnt high enough you do a layup automatically, but i feel this method might be better suited for users to adapt a reward/punishment concept when constantly just attacking the rim.

# 362 piccolomair @ 09/21/12 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackProdigy
Some of you guys will never be satisfied. Now people are complaining about the bounce passes...lol smh.
cmon man, having bounce passes is awesome because it adds a fundamental element to the game. But no one is gonna want to have the ability to throw 100% accurate passes every single damn time. Westbrook shouldnt be throwing dimes like hes steve nash. We love having the bounce pass ability, we just want to make sure its not going to turn into a chesse mechanism (and vice versa; no one wants a completely innacurate bounce pass system that simply cant be used)

I think its better to complain and mention it now, especially considering how much 2k loves community feedback, because that way they can do some quick tune ups before the game is officially released.

Its not like people have been crying that they should take bounce passes out....if that happened then you would be right with peoples reactions...

# 363 Boilerbuzz @ 09/21/12 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybudd
Now I'm getting Scared, this is the 2nd demo I've seen with multiple missed dunks, first demo was the Lakers vs. Heat, Wade missed a basic ally-oop and Kobe missed a dunk all by himself.

Please tell me uncontested dunks are in an equation of shot difficulty, if you can get up there it isn't that difficult to execute.
You know it COULD be a function of fatigue and dunk difficulty.

# 364 rhein77 @ 09/21/12 02:49 AM
I am digging what I saw from the gameplay!!! It was essentially a barebones display of what could be done on the court. I wish they would of used some of the stepbacks, triple threat moves, a little more variety with the post game etc. I am loving the pick and roll system. It looks like the pic and pop will be deadly this year!

I also love the motion of the offense as well. Constant movement and players cutting to the basket. I could not use slashers as efficiently in 12 because of unrealistic paint contact etc. A lot of my complaints from 12 look to have been addressed!!

# 365 youngfaze01 @ 09/21/12 03:33 AM
I don't mean to nitpick or anything but, idk... LBJ's headband placement looks kinda odd. Just saying fellas....no harm.

# 366 icemanfrost @ 09/21/12 04:02 AM
I know everyone is loving the motion on offense I am too but what about the teams who are sometimes naturally stagnant(team tendency) like MIA or ATL I mean I love the constant motion but constant motion is something these teams are not

# 367 Nokstar @ 09/21/12 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolomair
cmon man, having bounce passes is awesome because it adds a fundamental element to the game. But no one is gonna want to have the ability to throw 100% accurate passes every single damn time. Westbrook shouldnt be throwing dimes like hes steve nash. We love having the bounce pass ability, we just want to make sure its not going to turn into a chesse mechanism (and vice versa; no one wants a completely innacurate bounce pass system that simply cant be used)

I think its better to complain and mention it now, especially considering how much 2k loves community feedback, because that way they can do some quick tune ups before the game is officially released.

Its not like people have been crying that they should take bounce passes out....if that happened then you would be right with peoples reactions...
I hear what you are saying...but how is it better to complain now when you haven't even played the game yet? You've seen enough gameplay to make the assumption already? Let's just wait for the game to drop people.

BTW..game looks like a huge improvement over 2k12 gameplay wise...the controls look more reactive...didn't see any suction defense...the new dribble moves and controls look NICE...and the contact animations look amazing and unintrusive....I can't wait for this game I'm pretty amped.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3

# 368 Sundown @ 09/21/12 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolomair
Id argue that blown dunks arent very common because most players dont just try to dunk every single time. Stamina does play a lot into whether or not you can get up there. In essence, if in the game the blown dunks are happening because the user is holding down the turbo button to finish aggressively (activating the dunk command) and then blowing the dunk, i feel that is accurate. Smarter players would learn not to abuse the turbo button or try to dunk the ball every time unless you are on of the special players who can (lebron, blake griffin, dwight howard).

Not all 7 footers are capable of dunking every single time, just like not all athletic freaks (derrick rose for example) dunk every time.

I guess 2k could have just designed it so that if your stamina wasnt high enough you do a layup automatically, but i feel this method might be better suited for users to adapt a reward/punishment concept when constantly just attacking the rim.
This would be a GREAT idea. Would actually make you wonder whether it's a good idea to try for the dunk. Only thing is, real NBA players are smart enough to know when they can dunk it. Players however will tend to just push it and end up with a lot more blown dunks because highlight dunks is kind of the point to some of them.

# 369 liberaluser @ 09/21/12 09:28 AM
Piccolo's idea to balance dunking is pretty good, all I would add is have a specific blown dunk stamina rating which determined just how much a player could push themselves with multiple dunks over what period of time.

Dunking is a little out of control right now and stamina should matter more in doing it.

I'm happy signature skills are tied with stamina though, that's a good sign.

# 370 xrobbyh14x @ 09/21/12 09:38 AM
It was nice to be able to check out a full game, and I was interested by the coach feedback they mentioned for My Career, where you will get yanked if you're trying to play out of your style. Real excited!

# 371 Boilerbuzz @ 09/21/12 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
This would be a GREAT idea. Would actually make you wonder whether it's a good idea to try for the dunk. Only thing is, real NBA players are smart enough to know when they can dunk it. Players however will tend to just push it and end up with a lot more blown dunks because highlight dunks is kind of the point to some of them.
Not really. You're going to get complaints of dropped input. If the user wants a dunk, unless there is someone in the way, there should be a dunk attempt whether or not it was a good idea or not. At some point, the user has to learn. He has to take some responsibility.

# 372 405Cowboy @ 09/21/12 02:22 PM
Thunder wear black shoes and socks on the road, not white.

# 373 Streaky McFloorburn @ 09/21/12 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Not really. You're going to get complaints of dropped input. If the user wants a dunk, unless there is someone in the way, there should be a dunk attempt whether or not it was a good idea or not. At some point, the user has to learn. He has to take some responsibility.
I agree. I'm fine with blowing dunks if my turbo meter that I can see is depleted, or the player is begging for gatorade, as it were. In the live stream however, that didn't appear to be the case, which makes it hard to learn and adjust. A player too tired to dunk should still attempt to do (and fail) if the user requests it, but it shouldn't be the same animation as their regular dunks.

It's tough because on one hand you have people who want everything to look like the real NBA, even at the expense of user influence, and others who want 100% control, even at the expense of realism.

In the NBA most missed dunks happen when a really good dunker gets really jacked up and dunks too hard, or when an older/less athletic player doesn't get their steps right. I don't how you'd duplicate either of those in a way that made the player feel in control.

# 374 FLAWDAxBALLA954 @ 09/22/12 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
In all my years of watching basketball, iv'e never once noticed the color socks any player has ever worn during a game.

This is the NBA, not project runway. If you pay attention to accessories that much while watching a real game, you're on the wrong channel.
^^ THIS. That dude should be watching top model or something

# 375 Nokstar @ 09/22/12 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaky McFloorburn
I agree. I'm fine with blowing dunks if my turbo meter that I can see is depleted, or the player is begging for gatorade, as it were. In the live stream however, that didn't appear to be the case, which makes it hard to learn and adjust. A player too tired to dunk should still attempt to do (and fail) if the user requests it, but it shouldn't be the same animation as their regular dunks.

It's tough because on one hand you have people who want everything to look like the real NBA, even at the expense of user influence, and others who want 100% control, even at the expense of realism.

In the NBA most missed dunks happen when a really good dunker gets really jacked up and dunks too hard, or when an older/less athletic player doesn't get their steps right. I don't how you'd duplicate either of those in a way that made the player feel in control.
Great post...I hope extreme "sim" players understand what you are saying along with the 2k developers who attempt to try and make sim players happy. Its really seems like a lot of sim players don't understand there is absolutely NO way to make the game as sim as they want it to be without basically forcing every user they play against to play how THEY want them to play...which basically take the personal control away from the user.

I am one of the players that want as much control as possible and I realize that the game will never look..LOOK as realistic as real basketball...I just want the game to force me to use semi real basketball strategies and give me great basketball atmosphere to play in (graphics, sound, etc).

Every NBA 2k game after 2k8 attempted to accomadate extreme sim players by MAKING us do things so the game LOOKED like real basketball...this is what birthed all those canned animations that we realized we really didn't want. If it wasn't for that, I have a feeling that 2k13 would've been 2k9 to be honest.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3

# 376 Muzyk23 @ 09/22/12 05:40 AM
guys, have they said anything about any audio improvements in any of the interviews or previews? there were some instances in a few gameplay clips when I thought it seemed to be improved

# 377 Bearsfan1 @ 09/22/12 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls321974
Well, maybe I'm worrying about the game, too. How do you know if I don't? Maybe I worry about both at the same time? If you could care less for that, that's okay with me. But I do care about it as much as I care about gameplay itself. So hard to understand?
Completely 1000% agree with you. GTFO with the "all or nothing" propaganda.

# 378 23 @ 09/22/12 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzyk23
guys, have they said anything about any audio improvements in any of the interviews or previews? there were some instances in a few gameplay clips when I thought it seemed to be improved

No But I'd like to know

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

# 379 Mr_Riddick @ 09/22/12 08:33 PM
I like the way they game 'flows' overall. But i wouldve liked some footage of the a.i. Being a bit more agressive.

# 380 deacon21206 @ 09/24/12 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan Frank
Agreed. Blown dunks aren't very common in the NBA, kinda like broken ankles. There are maybe a dozen or two a season, and they always wind up on blooper reels and SportsCenter's Not Top 10.

I love 2K logic: contested 3's and midrange jumpers are cool, but uncontested layups and dunks? No can do. I lost count of how many dunks bounced out and layups hit the bottom of the rim in 2K12.
Kobe's missed dunk was in traffic crossing between 2 defenders. And wade missed a oop that was contested as well. I didn't see any wide open dunks missed, but dunks in traffic were missed.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.