Home
Tiger 14 News Post

The Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 demo is available now for Xbox 360 users (queue it up here). It weighs in at 1.98 GB.

PS3 users will have to wait until later this afternoon, when the PS Store updates.

UPDATE: The PS3 demo is available now.

Fans Get First Taste of Innovative Gameplay Features

Experience golf from the past and present, and play as golf icon Arnold Palmer in the all-new Legends of the Majors mode, experience the LPGA Tour and get a taste of the Connected Tournaments feature where players can compete online with friends.
  • The Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 demo features one of the most compelling modes in franchise history – Legends of the Majors. The featured challenge, 1961 Open Championship at Royal Birkdale, puts players in the shoes of golf legend Arnold Palmer, in the 1960’s era, with the legend’s era-specific attire, equipment and skills. Once the challenge is passed, gamers will unlock 1960’s Arnold Palmer for use in the full version of the game.

• For the first time in franchise history, the game will feature LPGA integration and gamers can get a preview of the LPGA via the all-new Quick Tournaments feature. Players can use LPGA golf phenom Lexi Thompson on a new course – Oak Hill Country Club.

• Golf in a “Twenty-foursome” through our all-new Connected Tournaments mode in the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 demo. Compete online against other players or friends and see as many as 23 shot arcs from other players on the course at the same time. Players can get a jumpstart on creating their country club tournaments by going to the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 website.

• The Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 demo will support motion control and continue the level of immersion as fans can play the demo with Kinect for Xbox 360 or Sony PlayStation Move controllers.

Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 13 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 261 HANDSWARD_EA @ 03/14/13 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love13
And since I won't be playing again until tomorrow, hands if you know, can you confirm this is on the sim difficulty and if so does it show any of like the 100, 150, 200 yard markers at all?
No, the flyby doesn't show any of the yardage icons.

# 262 HANDSWARD_EA @ 03/14/13 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Are there actually functioning ball drops in the game this year? Or are we left again with the game deciding where we get to drop.
Manual user ball drops has been on the feature list the last two years (and from what I am told they always had it on the list prior to me being here) but it has fallen off near the end of feature building. It didn't completely fall off this past year, as we at least reworked the game's logic for dropping the ball. It works a lot better now and should put you in much better spots than it used to. But the interface for the user deciding where to drop it did not get done. We can only hope for the future on this one, as it has always been near the top of my list of things to improve.

# 263 Lieutenant Dan @ 03/14/13 12:22 PM
I really appreciate your honesty in your replies, HANDS. Some won't like what you come back with at times, but fluffed-up contrivances are WAY worse than the facts from your end. Thanks!

# 264 Danimal @ 03/14/13 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDSWARD_EA
Manual user ball drops has been on the feature list the last two years (and from what I am told they always had it on the list prior to me being here) but it has fallen off near the end of feature building. It didn't completely fall off this past year, as we at least reworked the game's logic for dropping the ball. It works a lot better now and should put you in much better spots than it used to. But the interface for the user deciding where to drop it did not get done. We can only hope for the future on this one, as it has always been near the top of my list of things to improve.
Thanks for the answer at least the logic is reworked.

I want profess to know what the list is and I understand that my priorities are not the same as others. Ball drops are a part of the game, a fundamental part if you ask me so it is disappointing that other priorities (which are likely more marketable) are ahead of them.

This and a true 3d green for reading breaks would be my top 2 items.

# 265 chi_hawks @ 03/14/13 01:26 PM
It makes me wonder if they think of "Simulation" mode being like the weekend warrior, with a 28 handicap, who doesn't look at things like yardage to front/back/middle, bunker around green locations, hole layout, etc... I suppose "simulation" would make sense then. They typically want to know distance to the hole and thats all they need (they don't know much about the green until they walk up there to putt later).

I can't imagine they sat down with a decent golfer and built this simulation mode off of how they would play.

# 266 Love13 @ 03/14/13 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_hawks
It makes me wonder if they think of "Simulation" mode being like the weekend warrior, with a 28 handicap, who doesn't look at things like yardage to front/back/middle, bunker around green locations, hole layout, etc... I suppose "simulation" would make sense then. They typically want to know distance to the hole and thats all they need (they don't know much about the green until they walk up there to putt later).

I can't imagine they sat down with a decent golfer and built this simulation mode off of how they would play.
From what some have said, although I've never seen it confirmed from a team member, some of the devs that design this game are scratch golfers. I don't think it's just a bunch of computer guys that have never played the game. As hands said there were many ideas that went into different types of options for yardages, but they all missed the cut. Best thing we can do is bring this up in official forums and get some strength from the community behind this to make it a priority next year.

But I totally see what your saying about it feels a little like weekend warrior golf. Get the distance, aim at the flag and fire away and hope it sticks haha.

# 267 Love13 @ 03/14/13 02:37 PM
Quote:
OK, I didn't get a solid answer cause the 3 people that know the most about this are all out of office. But I may have something that will help.

Try changing your initial hand position. You are possibly setting your hands too close to your body and then swinging back to this same point. If you move them away from your body a bit, and try to swing back to that same point, you should start to see straighter flight and maybe even some fades.
Thanks hands. I've started swinging similar to what you described. I'll keep working on it and see what I can do. Can't wait for the game so I can jump onto augustas driving range and really start working it out

# 268 HANDSWARD_EA @ 03/14/13 04:06 PM
Quote:
From what some have said, although I've never seen it confirmed from a team member, some of the devs that design this game are scratch golfers.
I currently have a 1.6 index. And it is more from a lack of time to play. But my new year's resolution is to get my game back to where it used to be and take a run at the U.S. Mid-Amateur and U.S. Amateur.

# 269 Matt10 @ 03/14/13 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_hawks

Yup - that's what it sounds like.

I've come to terms with it though. If I really want to do it like a pro, I'll go and practice rounds and find what yardages work on the course, etc. It will work - but will be work to do.

I appreciate the communication, and the genuine approach that the devs have. I work in a business that lives by the words "No one cares what you know until they know that you care." - I think we are getting closer to there, but the omittance of yardages is going to always be one of those "WTF" decisions for me.

# 270 DivotMaker @ 03/14/13 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
I think we are getting closer to there, but the omittance of yardages is going to always be one of those "WTF" decisions for me.
I can tell you for a fact that there were many here and at the Tiger forums who complained about hitting every fairway in TW13. Part of this was due to the ease of hitting straight with the new TSC in '13. Another major factor was the fact that you could zoom out to the exact landing point your ball would hit giving the user way too much information to make the swing with. I am sorry that some of you feel the yardages need to be in the Simulation mode, but how many times have you seen a PGA TOUR Pro miss the fairway even when they thought they aimed their shot to the right area and executed the shot the way they intended? It happens more than most of you think.

Leaving the yardages out forces users to:

a) learn their club distances

b) learn the course layouts and hazard locations

c) brings the rough BACK into play

d) learn to use the HUD as it tells you every thing you need to know to make an approach shot

e) learn to manage the risk/reward factor when driving the ball

This is certainly more realistic than being able to zoom out and see yardage markers or a camera that shows where your ball will land when aimed. Should there be yardage markers that you can see while zoomed above the golfers shoulder as in Simulation mode? I can see making a case for that as long as the yardage markers give some sort of indication where the aiming marker is at, I get that. Lets see how this works out in the final game release. Human nature is to resist change. I was not a fan of not having yardage markers at first, but I have since come to want to play without these yardages as it is an extreme test of how well you can manage the course from the Golfer's perspective. Again, I respect those who feel differently now, but lets circle back and discuss this again a month or two after the game is released and we will see how realistic the impact to scoring is. You guys may be right and I may be wrong, but at least EA is giving you the option to play the game the way YOU want to play and there are options for those wanting even more challenge.

# 271 Love13 @ 03/14/13 06:01 PM
Quote:
I currently have a 1.6 index. And it is more from a lack of time to play. But my new year's resolution is to get my game back to where it used to be and take a run at the U.S. Mid-Amateur and U.S. Amateur.
That's an awesome goal. I feel you on lack of time to play. I used to be pretty close to scratch but have played only a hand full of times the last 2 years so my game is not where I would like it. I would love to play in the am and mid am but I have a LOT of work to do in order to get there.

# 272 Jet Sufferer @ 03/14/13 06:34 PM
Quote:
That's an awesome goal. I feel you on lack of time to play. I used to be pretty close to scratch but have played only a hand full of times the last 2 years so my game is not where I would like it. I would love to play in the am and mid am but I have a LOT of work to do in order to get there.
Best I've ever been was close to plus 3. Still not good enough to compete at a national level, lots and lots of good players out there. Lot of plus 4 to 6 guys running around broke.

Calculating a tour pro's actual handicap is impossible because you can't use the normal course rating. They're playing courses with the greens sped up and tough pins and the course rating would be higher and they're still throwing up mid 60's rounds. A great round for me is like 4-5 under, if a pro was playing with me at my courses they would probably shoot 8-9 under regularly and threaten 59 sometimes. Like any other sport the guys that are in the top .000001 percentile are off the charts.

I'm better than over 99% of all golfers statistically. That and 2 dollars will get me a cup of coffee! Plus I don't hustle people, and my friends want too many strokes! It's harder for me to perform to my handicap than my friends, try giving a 4-6 handicapper 5-7 strokes. They're good players and if they just par the stroke holes I'm at a big disadvantage.

Nice to see hands here. I'll join the CC when season ticket hits, you can add me on xbox, raging poodle

# 273 kehlis @ 03/14/13 06:38 PM
[quote=DivotMaker;2044811927]
Quote:
I am sorry that some of you feel the yardages need to be in the Simulation mode, but how many times have you seen a PGA TOUR Pro miss the fairway even when they thought they aimed their shot to the right area and executed the shot the way they intended? It happens more than most of you think.
I don't think anyone has ever disagreed with this and it has nothing to do with knowing the yardage to a sandtrap or to the back of the green or the front of the green.

Trust me, even though they don't execute their shots all the time I can guarantee you they had an EXACT yardage in their head for what they are shooting for.

You can't possibly make an argument against that.

Quote:
Leaving the yardages out forces users to:

a) learn their club distances And how do you propose we do that without knowing the yardage lol.

b) learn the course layouts and hazard locations Again, knowing yardages goes a long way to learning a course. How can I learn how far up the fairway the creek is without yardage.

c) brings the rough BACK into play Love the new swing and love this, don't see how having yardages would change this with the new swing mechanism.

No biggie, I love the new swing and the difficulty it brings but I just don't see how taking away yardage makes it more "realistic". To me it makes it more of a guessing game when I'm aiming at landmarks...

# 274 HANDSWARD_EA @ 03/14/13 06:47 PM
Chiming in on 2 key points here:

1. You don't have to learn your club distances. That information is given to you. The max distance each club goes is in the HUD. The swing mechanic has you set up your shot by adjusting your aim and shot setup to the shot you are trying to execute. When you make these adjustments, the aiming marker tells you the distance for the shot you have created.

2. Something overlooked is the fact that the aiming marker can tell you distances to key landmarks. It is like a Bushnell Yardage Pro. If you want a distance to a bunker, as long as it is in range of the aimer, you can move your aim to the front edge of that bunker and know how far it is to it. I realize that some obstacles on the course can be difficult to see from back at the golfer. This does make what I am saying harder. But a thing that can help in this regard is that the aimer moves with the height of the terrain. A bunker is likely going to drop down a few feet. So if you know a bunker is on the right side, and you move the aimer around by it, where you see it drop is probably where it is.

# 275 kehlis @ 03/14/13 06:55 PM
Quote:
2. Something overlooked is the fact that the aiming marker can tell you distances to key landmarks. It is like a Bushnell Yardage Pro. If you want a distance to a bunker, as long as it is in range of the aimer, you can move your aim to the front edge of that bunker and know how far it is to it. I realize that some obstacles on the course can be difficult to see from back at the golfer. This does make what I am saying harder. But a thing that can help in this regard is that the aimer moves with the height of the terrain. A bunker is likely going to drop down a few feet. So if you know a bunker is on the right side, and you move the aimer around by it, where you see it drop is probably where it is.
That's good to know,

And I really don't have a problem not being able to zoom and I love having to aim from the golfers perspective. No issues with that whatsoever and as I've already said I love the new more difficult swing with more going on.

All I really want is a yardage book with green diagrams. It shouldn't be a guessing game for me if I'm 175 out as to if the green is sloping to the left or the right or if there is a false front.

Those are things that are essential on approaches and every professional golfer knows every step of the green and knows where they want to land on the green.

And for Divot, I am in no way saying I want to HIT exactly where I'm aiming, I welcome user error and mistakes.

I just want to have an actual educated plan before taking my swing. As it stands (In this mode) I would have to guess where I should land it on the green.

Seems like it's all moot since there is a fully customizable mode, just trying to show my stance.

# 276 Love13 @ 03/14/13 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
Best I've ever been was close to plus 3. Still not good enough to compete at a national level, lots and lots of good players out there. Lot of plus 4 to 6 guys running around broke.

Calculating a tour pro's actual handicap is impossible because you can't use the normal course rating. They're playing courses with the greens sped up and tough pins and the course rating would be higher and they're still throwing up mid 60's rounds. A great round for me is like 4-5 under, if a pro was playing with me at my courses they would probably shoot 8-9 under regularly and threaten 59 sometimes. Like any other sport the guys that are in the top .000001 percentile are off the charts.

I'm better than over 99% of all golfers statistically. That and 2 dollars will get me a cup of coffee! Plus I don't hustle people, and my friends want too many strokes! It's harder for me to perform to my handicap than my friends, try giving a 4-6 handicapper 5-7 strokes. They're good players and if they just par the stroke holes I'm at a big disadvantage.

Nice to see hands here. I'll join the CC when season ticket hits, you can add me on xbox, raging poodle
Yeah I've played with a few plus handicap golfers, in fact I was good friends with the best am in our state when I was about 16, he was like 23-24 I think. I played a lot with him, and wow he was amazing, then he decided to turn pro at the Utah championship web.com tour (Nike tour back then) and it was amazing how out classed he was, after tearing up the same course a couple months earlier at the Utah open, he was getting his but kicked all day. And that's not even the top talent by any means. He started playing in more local pro tournaments toward the end of his am career and faired very well, but when he turned pro and tried out the tour, it did not take long for him to realize how out classed he really was. Just incredible the type of talent and skill is out there in this sport. Any sport for that matter.

# 277 PhantomPain @ 03/14/13 08:05 PM
For some reason I thought there may be some hope that something changed in career mode but that seems like eons ago that I read that hope. Has there been a developer blog that I missed, or if not, will there be something that talks about the changes to the career mode?

# 278 HANDSWARD_EA @ 03/14/13 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain
For some reason I thought there may be some hope that something changed in career mode but that seems like eons ago that I read that hope. Has there been a developer blog that I missed, or if not, will there be something that talks about the changes to the career mode?
There are plenty of changes to look forward to. I just wrote a blog about it today. Not sure how long before it hits the website. I'm hoping tomorrow but that is being optimistic. More likely early next week. But stay tuned.

# 279 Love13 @ 03/14/13 08:49 PM
Quote:
There are plenty of changes to look forward to. I just wrote a blog about it today. Not sure how long before it hits the website. I'm hoping tomorrow but that is being optimistic. More likely early next week. But stay tuned.
Sweet, I know you put in the new format of q school then to the web.com tour then to PGA. But I'm excited to see what else is in store. That is the reason I buy the game as I don't really play online much at all.

Has there ever been the idea of bringing back the ryder cup but not as a end all to a career but instead have come every other year like in real life or have presidents cup or something on the schedule that we have to qualify for?

And where can we find these blogs hands?

# 280 HANDSWARD_EA @ 03/14/13 08:53 PM
Quote:
Has there ever been the idea of bringing back the ryder cup but not as a end all to a career but instead have come every other year like in real life or have presidents cup or something on the schedule that we have to qualify for?

And where can we find these blogs hands?
Like everything else in the world of golf, the Ryder Cup and President's Cup require us to get the official license. Our licensing costs add up fast, when you factor in each tour, each golfer, each course, all 4 majors like we have this year. Basically, you have to stop somewhere.

And blogs all get posted here: http://www.easports.com/tiger-woods/news

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.