Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

Now that the game is released to all, this is the place to post your impressions.

As a reminder, this is not a thread for questions. Please use the MLB 13 The Show Q&A thread for that.

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 141 CoreyMac @ 03/06/13 09:53 AM
I played a couple exhibition games online with a buddy and we had major stutter problems. I would say about 65% of pitches thrown, right after the ball is released from the pitchers hand would lock up for a second then come in. At no other point in the game would it stutter, just after pitch release .Made it almost unplayable.

# 142 Chai2112 @ 03/06/13 10:09 AM
My impressions after a game and a half:

- I love the opening intro so much more than last year's. And now I don't have to look at freakin Adrian Gonzalez in a Red Sox uniform anymore!

- Obviously the graphics are top notch

- I played on All-Star (last year I played on HoF) and noticed too many strikes thrown by the CPU pitcher

- In a game and a half, I notice the CPU pitcher stutter on two pitches. Thing is, I had the same issue in MLB 12 The Show and it drove me crazy then too. Always makes me swing way ahead of the pitch.

- In one game, I crushed two homers with Napoli, but overall the stats were pretty accurate (8 hits, 11 strikeouts, 3 runs)

- What the H is up with Big Papi's batting stance?? They've been trying to get this right since 2006 and have never come close. Oh well. I'll have to find a better one. I do like what they did with Saltalamacchia's stance though. And I like that they added his beard, although now his face looks wider than it should be for some reason. Pedroia's stance is questionable...

- The CAP I made for Middlebrooks in MLB 12 The Show was so much better looking than what they have now. I'm just a little disappointed at how little it looks like him.

- I was OVERJOYED when I saw both my first and last name in the game (last name spelled wrong, but pronounced right). My wife just stared at me in awe as I couldn't stop smiling about it. Thank you SCEA!!!

# 143 dj live @ 03/06/13 10:34 AM
I'm not sure how many people play sports games online or not but this game has got to have the worst net code in exsistence.

Of all the sports games to play online this should be an easy smooth experience. So why is it, this game is almost unplayable online.

I have a boosted cable connection and have no problems with any other title online but when this game is played online it feels like everyone is on a dial up connection.

Offline this game has got to be the best sim sports title there is but for people who dont like to play the cpu for hours on end and enjoy head to head matchups with other gamers .... this game is not even close to where it needs to be.

I know I might be in the minority here but why isnt there more complaints about the online issues with this game?

# 144 pirates1fan @ 03/06/13 10:41 AM
This game is awesome. Nough said.

Haven't delved into a lot yet, but everything has been great that I have tried. In the past, I would get bored with it quicker. This year, not getting that feeling at all. Postseason, RTTS, Franchise, Diamond Dynasty, The Show Live (once the season starts), Home Run Derby, and the list goes on!

I am actually really enjoying Challenge of the Week. Had fun with it last year too, but I have spent a lot of my time on that so far. That mode is addictive! I am actually number 6 on the leaderbord too!

Countdown to opening day is now, can't wait for the OS rosters so I can start a franchise and really delve into RTTS! THANKS SCEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 145 pirates1fan @ 03/06/13 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai2112
My impressions after a game and a half:

- I love the opening intro so much more than last year's. And now I don't have to look at freakin Adrian Gonzalez in a Red Sox uniform anymore!
Now it is Cutch baby! OH YEAH! Haha, but they have all 7 of the candidates represented well in the loading menus and opening. And isn't that opening awesome! Holy crap, as if I wasn't pupped enough to play the game, and then I saw that.

# 146 RandyBass @ 03/06/13 10:53 AM
Random impressions:

-Overall it feels very much like this series in on cruise control for the PS3. New stuff doesn't jump out at all, and it familiarity sets in pretty quick. Understandable though, considering they have the PS4 coming up, along with the Vita.

-I like the new "swing creator" in edit a player. It allows you to assign a more customized swing, with stride type, etc. Pretty cool.

-They still haven't fixed the way you sub guys in. If you pinch hit for your catcher with a non-catcher, it will still show the pinch hitter in the field next inning, rather than letting you sub in a catcher beforehand.

-The pull hitting attribute is pretty cool, and definitely gives hitters a different feel. Thing is, you can only see this in game, so editing players will be kind of a pain. I've always added a few old time players to the game in past years, and there's going to be a few more steps now to an already lengthy process.

-Hitting in general feels a little smoother and more realistic, just the way the ball comes off the bat and how it flies through the air. Nicely done.

-Classic stadiums can now be played in offline! Very cool.

-I'm digging some of the new throwback uniforms. Still wish they had more, though I guess they have their hands tied by MLB on this. (hint to devs: give us the uniform creator from Diamond Dynasty for use with MLB teams, then add a uniform vault! )

That's about all I can think of. Haven't gotten into franchise much yet.

# 147 Kashanova @ 03/06/13 10:56 AM
A lot of the new features are awesome, and I love being able to edited a batting follow through and stride. However I'm still extremely upset at how limited the MLB Records are. Baseball is a game of stats, history and records and to only have 5 single season hitting records for example in my opinion is preposterous. Hopefully next gen they'll expand on it. Having things like most doubles in a season or most walks things like that

# 148 Blzer @ 03/06/13 11:03 AM
Don't have time to talk many impressions, but I'm going to leave some very nice remarks here with regard to two welcomed improvements:

1) More responsive controls everywhere. Not just swinging, but even the pre-pitch nuances when tapping X are more responsive. My baserunners are changing stride more quickly when I advance or retreat them. I can also now dive at balls hit down the line (in fair territory, mind you ). Even skipping through things is better and load times are much improved. But definitely with swinging... I'm upping the pitch speed to 9 or 10 this year. It is so refreshing!

2) Turning off the on-screen displays (except for the score bug) feels so great. It feels so great, I'm doing classic pitching this year. No meters or visuals whatsoever. I wish there was a way to almost "permanently" keep the score bug up on the screen even with a ball in play. Otherwise, it feels so authentic!

Thanks, boys! The Vita version is unfortunately being separated more from the PS3 version this year, but I'll have to deal with it if I want to take my franchise on the road.

# 149 Bigredmachine87 @ 03/06/13 11:14 AM
Does anyone think hitting is a little too easy? Or maybe it's everyone I've been playing online sucks.
These are my stats from games I've played

5 runs on 9 hits (8 innings)
7 runs on 9 hits (9 innings)
5 runs on 7 hits (9 innings)
4 runs on 5 hits (9 innings)
2 runs on 3 hits (5 innings) I tapped out
8 runs on 14hits (9 innings)
1 runs on 2 hits (7 innings)
4 runs on 12hits (9 innings)
6 runs on 12hits(9 innings)

MLB average is 8 hits a game and 4 runs.

# 150 ripwalk @ 03/06/13 11:17 AM
I would REALLY recommend for those thinking there are too many strikes/too many first pitch strikes, for people to zero out the sliders for CPU PITCHER STRIKE FREQUENCY, CPU PITCHER CONTROL and CPU PITCHER CONSISTENCY. I did this in MLB 12 with good results and it seems to be the same benefit in MLB 13 .... CPU pitchers actually throw balls and more balls that actually don't JUST miss.

Results from game I just played. CPU pitchers threw 115 pitches total, 69% strikes (definitely some chases in there from me!)

64% of first pitch strikes (as opposed to what I can only assume was around 80% pre slider adjustment)... Their starter had control issues and was worse, he was only 48% first pitch strikes. Anyway... Definitely an improvement in game enjoyment for me. It was super frustrating to be in the 4th inning and their starter having like 35 strikes, 7 balls.

# 151 RnRexpress3423 @ 03/06/13 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredmachine87
Does anyone think hitting is a little too easy? Or maybe it's everyone I've been playing online sucks.

Up the difficulty? It seems like veteran of last year is now all star this year. The game in general was made easier in general to hit. Bigger timing window

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

# 152 Bigredmachine87 @ 03/06/13 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk
I would REALLY recommend for those thinking there are too many strikes/too many first pitch strikes, for people to zero out the sliders for CPU PITCHER STRIKE FREQUENCY, CPU PITCHER CONTROL and CPU PITCHER CONSISTENCY. I did this in MLB 12 with good results and it seems to be the same benefit in MLB 13 .... CPU pitchers actually throw balls and more balls that actually don't JUST miss.

Results from game I just played. CPU pitchers threw 115 pitches total, 69% strikes (definitely some chases in there from me!)

64% of first pitch strikes (as opposed to what I can only assume was around 80% pre slider adjustment)... Their starter had control issues and was worse, he was only 48% first pitch strikes. Anyway... Definitely an improvement in game enjoyment for me. It was super frustrating to be in the 4th inning and their starter having like 35 strikes, 7 balls.
The first-pitch strike line is at the MLB average 58.13 percent.

# 153 Blzer @ 03/06/13 11:21 AM
So I got my first ever broken bat single, and what do you know.. it's not a trophy this year.

Quote:

So, right now you're averaging 5.7 runs and 9.9 hits per 9 innings. Yeah, that's a little more than average, but I think online is somewhat a different kind of game, no? Can't adjust sliders, more strikes are thrown (probably meaning you're walking less), and I totally agree that you haven't faced your best competition yet.

Eh, it's just a small sample size. What team are you playing as, and what teams are you playing against? Either it will pan out, or remain inflated. I don't really know how online play works when it comes to realism more so than when it comes to competition.

# 154 Chai2112 @ 03/06/13 11:23 AM
One more thing I noticed is that checking your swing seems to be harder than it was in 12. Anyone else notice this? I prefer it the old way.

# 155 Blzer @ 03/06/13 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai2112
One more thing I noticed is that checking your swing seems to be harder than it was in 12. Anyone else notice this? I prefer it the old way.
I've noticed it with the normal swing. They still seem to check swing okay when it's around the plate, but when it's way off the plate and my itchy trigger finger just accidentally taps X, they'll go waving at it quite often.

Another thing I've noticed is baserunners go around bases much more slowly this year. Maybe it's their way of remedying issues with too many triples or something. That, or maybe it has to do with my baserunning slider being above 5, and they maybe round the bases at "5" speed.

# 156 nemesis04 @ 03/06/13 11:25 AM
Quote:

Better to see this imo than the stifling 1-0, 2-1 games that were more the norm last year.

# 157 TheGameV30 @ 03/06/13 11:28 AM
In the 5 RTTS games I've played I haven't noticed any pitcher glitch while playing on my disc version w/ the 10gb install. Really loving the game so far!

Can someone explain to me please the new Guess Pitch? I've only seen it light up if I guess BOTH location and pitch type. This was not the case last year. I've only played RTTS so far, all-star difficulty, Guess Pitch set to classic.

Also what is the difference between Classic and PCI? (I've never really changed this setting in the past). Thanks guys.

# 158 Bigredmachine87 @ 03/06/13 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
So I got my first ever broken bat single, and what do you know.. it's not a trophy this year.

So, right now you're averaging 5.7 runs and 9.9 hits per 9 innings. Yeah, that's a little more than average, but I think online is somewhat a different kind of game, no? Can't adjust sliders, more strikes are thrown (probably meaning you're walking less), and I totally agree that you haven't faced your best competition yet.

Eh, it's just a small sample size. What team are you playing as, and what teams are you playing against? Either it will pan out, or remain inflated. I don't really know how online play works when it comes to realism more so than when it comes to competition.

I played
Indians
Tigers
Brewers
Dodgers
Nationals
Cardinals
Indians
Red Sox
Mariners
Red Sox

All played with the Reds. But yeah, online play probably isn't a good basis. Saying the skill level could jump from a 8 year old playing his first game to an obsessed fan that players 60 games a day with each game.

I haven't actually played a game against the CPU yet.

# 159 Chai2112 @ 03/06/13 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I've noticed it with the normal swing. They still seem to check swing okay when it's around the plate, but when it's way off the plate and my itchy trigger finger just accidentally taps X, they'll go waving at it quite often.

Another thing I've noticed is baserunners go around bases much more slowly this year. Maybe it's their way of remedying issues with too many triples or something. That, or maybe it has to do with my baserunning slider being above 5, and they maybe round the bases at "5" speed.

I've noticed that as well regarding the check swing on pitches outside (as well as in the strike zone), and I'm using zone + analog.

I've also noticed that infielders have this odd slow reaction to grounders hit near them. It seems almost as though they stand still for a second or two and then make an akward dive at the ball, whereas in 12, the reaction seemed much faster and smoother.

# 160 andrewochs615 @ 03/06/13 11:39 AM
I still have yet to win a game. I always take the lead early and then make some stupid error somehow or give up a long ball give away the lead. Then I stop hitting

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.