Home
NHL 14 News Post

EA Sports has posted their NHL 14 Live the Life trailer, as well as a blog with many more details about the mode, including player interviews (and when they occur), off-ice events, endorsements, likeability meters, on-ice performance and more.

Check the full press release below.

Live the Life Mode Features

In the Be a Pro Career Mode you could take your created pro from the minors to the NHL, as you attempted to become an NHL superstar. Inspired through working with real NHL and junior hockey players, Be a Pro in NHL 14 has evolved. For the first time ever, you can truly Live the Life of an NHL player as the mode now includes off-ice events.

With Live the Life, whether you’re on or off the ice, every decision you make shapes your legacy. Interact with teammates outside of the rink through Off-ice events. Take part in media interviews. Earn Endorsements. Each choice you make will affect your relationship with fans, teammates, family, and management, influencing your skills and progression.

What’s New in Live the Life

Player Interviews
As you progress through your pro’s career, certain events will trigger an interview with media or management. These interviews will include a question or a series of questions with four answer choices each. Your answers to these questions will affect your Likeability rating with fans, teammates, family, and management.

When do interviews occur and what are they focused on?
  • Pre-game – These interviews will focus on either the team you’re about to play, your recent performance, or upcoming career milestones.
  • Post-game – These interviews will focus on either the outcome of the game you just played, your performance in the game, or the milestones you accomplished in the game.
  • News – Interviews can be triggered by events and news from around the league. For example, if a player signs a contract with your team or someone gets traded.
  • Pre-Draft Interviews – Pre-Draft Interviews will occur a few days prior to the NHL entry draft. These interviews will give the user a chance to move up or down in the draft based on whether or not a team likes the answers you have provided. You will be interviewed by three teams that are within the range of where you are projected to be drafted.
Off-Ice Events
Off-ice events can occur at any time throughout the season. These events put you in a scenario that forces you to make a decision for your pro.
Ex. It’s a game night and your teammates ask you to join them for a night on the town. You’ll probably get back late and if your coaches found out, they might not be too pleased with you. What do you do?

Remember each action you take can produce a positive or negative reaction that can affect ratings and your likeability, so choose carefully.

Endorsements
If you’re doing the right things on and off the ice, this will lead to positive Likeability ratings. The higher your Likeability rating, the more likely you are to be approached with endorsements. Endorsements allow you to get some extra cash as well as some cool looking pictures for that mantle of yours'. Collect enough money throughout your career and you’ll unlock an achievement.

Likeability Meters
Likeability meters can increase or decrease based on your actions on and off the ice. They track how you are perceived by fans, teammates, management and your family.

These meters go from -100 to +100 and will produce consequences (positive and negative) based on how much the meter is filled.

Fan Likeability
  • The Fan Likeability meter defines your relationship with the fans of your team and the league.
  • A high Fan Likeability meter will increase your chances of receiving higher quality endorsements. On the ice your fans will cheer you on and you may even notice some camera's flashing when you touch the puck.
  • A low Fan Likeability meter will get you booed by your fans and fans around the league. If your Fan Likeability meter is low enough you may even get run out of town.
Teammate Likeability
  • The Teammate Likeability meter defines your relationship with the members of your team.*
  • A high Teammate Likeability meter increases your chances of receiving off-ice events. If your teammates like you enough you can even become the captain of your team but remember things such as age, your overall rating and your Management Likeability also play a role in determining if you’ll get the ‘C’.
  • With a low Teammate Likeability meter, you’ll be presented with fewer off-ice events. If your Teammate Likeability meter is drastically low, your teammates may even stop passing you the puck when you call for it.
Management Likeability
  • The Management Likeability meter defines your relationship with your GM and Coach.
  • A high Management Likeability meter makes it harder for you to be demoted to the minors as well as making it easier to get to the NHL. If Management likes you enough you can even become the captain of your team but as mentioned above, other ratings factor in here.
  • A low Management Likeability meter will make it harder for you to progress to the NHL and makes it easier to be demoted to the minors. If your Management Likeability meter is low enough you can be put on the trade block and potentially traded.
Family Likeability
  • The Family Likeability meter defines your relationship with your Family and will have a positive or negative effect on your on-ice attributes based on your rating.
On-Ice Performance
Your on- ice performance modifier gives you more leeway to act unprofessionally. The better you perform on the ice, the more your fans, teammates, management and your family will be willing to put up with your off-ice antics.

NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 centauris @ 08/07/13 01:45 PM
so it's Be a Pro with text questions with meters that don't change anything related to gameplay. at all.

# 22 peter21 @ 08/07/13 01:47 PM
More like 'NHL 14 Get A Life' amirite???

Seriouly though, who do you think you're fooling with this nonsense EA? This could be a deep, robust and fun mode if you put the effort into it. But you've half-assed it so you could announce a 'new' feature.

Now check this logic: When people ask why the mode isn't developed more, EA will claim that not as many people play it as online, HUT, etc etc. But the reason people don't play it more is the mode is broken and underdeveloped. It's a cruel cycle, but one EA seems intent on continuing to play.

Stop giving in to the yearly cycle to earn money EA. Produce a quality product!

# 23 emericaridr11 @ 08/07/13 01:58 PM
oh wow mega shame

something as simple as Line Chemistry would of made this mode more playable

"we are going to try you on the 3rd line for a few shifts"

we got bamboozled

# 24 gopher_guy @ 08/07/13 02:10 PM
The only thing that remotely interested me was the part about being booed by your own fans or opposing fans based on your "likeability"

I wish they could implement that into Be A GM with every player in the league somehow. If you one of your players takes a lot of penalties and injures opposing players it'd be cool to hear him booed as you play away games. Or your fans boo an opposing player that dominates your team regularly or injures one of your players.

# 25 Garism @ 08/07/13 02:22 PM
At the end of the day, you're going to be on the ice anyways. I could really care less if it's text based or not if the AI is still bad. Good AI + Text Based >> Bad AI + Interview Animations. Offline Be A Pro (in fact any offline mode other than GM Mode Simulation) is boring because after the first 10 games.. it's the same ****. You know what to expect from the CPU AI because it's programmed. You can have an amazing Be A Pro mode, but you'll get used to the AI in no time.

As someone said people go online because offline is underdeveloped. Yes, but people also go online because different human have different playing style. It's a challenge every time. I'll rather face glitch shots than bad AI because if you can take away their play, they're nothing)

# 26 SinisterAlex @ 08/07/13 02:27 PM
You speak to the manager about having a man removed from the restaurant and then BAM:

Wrist shot power -15

Wrist shot accuracy -15

I guess logic goes out the window...

-------------

Another thing too, why can't NHL have FIFA's create a player system? I want to make my own unique face not choose from presets.

# 27 Splitter77 @ 08/07/13 02:52 PM
that could be the lamest crap i ever read.
what a waste of development time and resources.

# 28 Simple Mathematics @ 08/07/13 02:57 PM
Sounds pretty bad. I wish they would put interviews and the likability things in BaGM. It would put more depth into who you want on your team and who teams stay away from.

# 29 Fiddy @ 08/07/13 03:01 PM
i just dont get how this type of idea and the way they add it gets any type of legs at one of their meetings? its hilarious..

like i said before, it might be time for a change for certain people on the Dev Team.

# 30 mikey87 @ 08/07/13 03:10 PM
So it seems like the focus is now turned to fill the expectations of 7 year old kids? Seriously, does someone really want to play something like this?

Well, at least with every announcement regarding this game, EA is helping my decision on switching to FHM2013. EA's NHL has ARCADE written all over it.

# 31 Mongo14 @ 08/07/13 03:27 PM
I honestly feel like the longest amount of creative thinking that went into this supposed overhaul was thinking of the name "Ennay Chel" for the trailer

# 32 Just_Cow @ 08/07/13 05:25 PM
All the disappointment in this comment section...wow. Not a bad wow. It's one of those, "EA, how could you not see this coming" type of wow. As low as my expectations are for this game, and understanding why they don't go next gen; it's things like this that make me question the dev team for NHL. I don't want to see anyone lose their job per say, I'm not that kind of person to wish that kind of bad luck to. Yet, you can't help but look at the game and go.."I wish this series got the same love and attention FIFA and Madden get."

# 33 Fiddy @ 08/07/13 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey87
EA's NHL has ARCADE written all over it.
when hasn't this been the case? its an arcade game with realistic elements tied into it.

# 34 sweetjones @ 08/07/13 06:50 PM
Who in the hell idea was this? Text-based events? REALLY? I have to read that some guy shoved me and I hurt my wrist? This is my cherry on top. Not this year. SMFH

# 35 Factzzz @ 08/07/13 07:36 PM
I think these are good additions to the mode.

I think some people have too big expectations for EA.

# 36 thedudedominick @ 08/07/13 07:49 PM
I really don't understand all the negativity. I mean yeah it's not anything mindblowing but it is a definitely upgrade to what we had in the past. The reason they don't talk AI with this kind of thing is because 75-80 percent of the people that play this mode just want to be superstar and have ridiculous amounts of points and don't care at all about realism.

This may cause me to play this mode for 2 hours instead of one this season, I'm just excited about the gameplay improvements overall and the online improvements.

# 37 RedVikings @ 08/07/13 08:00 PM
I will have to wait to see how it really plays to make an honest opinion, but my first impressions aren't favorable ones. I really think that this is a good place to start and build upon for the next-gen game.

# 38 crankybaker @ 08/07/13 08:45 PM
Ok sorry guys but I'm going to rant.

This is a joke. Wtf did they do this year compared to last year. What we have strafing defender, hot & cold ratings (not in gm modes) and a text game from the 90's.

I don't understand this at all, they don't support the current game very much, glitch goals are still in the game and there are a lot of them.

So they don't support the current game and don't really do much in the next game, $60 for a text game and a roster update sigh........ They would have to working on the next gen game or something cause this is awful.

I will get the game cause there is nothing else sadly. Still to hear about gm modes (online and offline) and hut so I wonder if there some sort of big change there

# 39 thedudedominick @ 08/07/13 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybaker
This is a joke. Wtf did they do this year compared to last year. What we have strafing defender, hot & cold ratings (not in gm modes) and a text game from the 90's.
And the improved skating engine, stick play, dekes, online mode improvements. They have done much more than those things you mentioned.

# 40 Garism @ 08/07/13 09:02 PM
Even if EASHL copied Fifa.. that change is great. I dont think anyone would hate that style. Club matchmaking in 13 is a joke.

I'll rather see them make gameplay change than great gamemode changes. Hitting, strafing, one touch deke.. gonna be great for online.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.