Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

IGN recently had a chance to play an early build of NBA 2K14 with the game Director, Rob Jones. They talk briefly about the Pro Stick dribbling and shooting.

Quote:
It turns out that holding LT (on Xbox 360) now triggers an assist pass based on whatever direction you nudge on the right stick. It's wild fun on fast breaks or for driving the lane and kicking out to a spot-up shooter behind the three-point line.

Once I got some advice from longtime series director Rob Jones, the dribble-stick controls made a lot more sense. As he simply stated, "Dribbles are taps [on the right thumbstick], shots are holds."

UPDATE: 2K Team-Up member @IpodKingCarter has posted more details.

UPDATE #2: 2K Team-Up member @QJBeat has posted more details.

UPDATE #3: 2K Team-Up member @Shake4ndBake has posted more details.

UPDATE #4: 2K Team-Up member @ShakeDown2012 has posted more details.

What are your thoughts?

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Sundown @ 08/19/13 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoaxum
if you use the bounce pass button often then you wouldn't notice how much the players do it on their own..i never use that button in the game and the players would do that type of pass on their own..when i really don't want them to do it..which cause a turnover...
That's not an argument to take out the manual bounce pass.

That's an argument to remove the automatic bounce pass at inappropriate times, and an argument for more, not less control.

I also pass without the bounce pass. It doesn't happen automatically that much for me. I wouldn't mind them removing auto bounce passes altogether so you always know what you're getting.

Now I want to know how we do Eurostep on the Pro-stick. Left-right would be a cross-over to shot in this system I think. Or does it trigger a Eurostep based on context, location, and player tendency after performing that combo? I hope it wasn't removed and you can still trigger it manually.

# 82 nip83 @ 08/19/13 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
I left the option to use 2K13's control stick scheme in tact via the controller settings menu... but I HIGHLY recommend leaving the default control scheme as is and giving the new system a chance. The Pro Stick in 2K14 is the design I originally wanted 2 years ago, but it just wasn't ready in time for 2K13. It's far superior to last year's IMO and it's the way I'd like to go for future versions of the series.
Has the post game got any love with the new pro stick, or was it necessary to cut down some options ,with the new tap-hold controls?Last year was a move into the right direction,meaning that the post game and the faceup game were like two sides of the same coin.The post scorer sig skill and the ankle breaker were like cousins ,in respect to how post fakes with the RS ,had the functionality of RS size-up dribbling.

I'd really love to see this kind of "post moves flowing into non-post moves" evolve.

# 83 alabamarob @ 08/19/13 04:12 PM
Quote:
I left the option to use 2K13's control stick scheme in tact via the controller settings menu... but I HIGHLY recommend leaving the default control scheme as is and giving the new system a chance. The Pro Stick in 2K14 is the design I originally wanted 2 years ago, but it just wasn't ready in time for 2K13. It's far superior to last year's IMO and it's the way I'd like to go for future versions of the series.
That was a very mannerable and respectful response from Beluba. It was informative, and its good that he left that option for those who don't want to try the new pro stick.

No matter how people come at his attempt to make a good product he never resorts to internet hooliganism. Very respectable. However, in a very polite way his real response was:

http://www.google.com/search?q=dave+...07%3B471%3B350

# 84 LD2k @ 08/19/13 04:18 PM
Quote:
This by miles.

It's silky smooth. That's the best way to describe it.

I will make many men cry when I shake them with Kobe in 2K14.

# 85 cavs25 @ 08/19/13 04:36 PM
Quote:
But does it work well with different camera angles like broadcast or does it become somewhat confusing?

I mean I am not going to judge it until I play it because I judged last year's new scheme and I eventually came to like it more.

# 86 TheManofSteel3kO @ 08/19/13 04:36 PM
Ahhhh!!! The sound of the chessers complaining about changes to the game where they can't chesse anymore.

The control scheme changes sound so fluid in words alone, can't wait to actually feel the change when the demo is out. I already remember the change too.

tap RS to dribble
half circle RS to half spin
full circle RS to full spin
square (ps3) or x (xbox) to hop gather

shoot the ball hold RS
fadeaway move LS away from hoop and hold RS
sidestep move LS horizontal (left or right) and hold RS
so on and so forth
L2 or LT & RS to pass (flashy I want more info on this)

It's not a big deal and obviously a needed change that I'm excited to see work especially on next-gen.

# 87 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/19/13 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Now I want to know how we do Eurostep on the Pro-stick. Left-right would be a cross-over to shot in this system I think. Or does it trigger a Eurostep based on context, location, and player tendency after performing that combo? I hope it wasn't removed and you can still trigger it manually.
From a post in this thread earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava Medvadenko
Ipodkingcarter posted this on the description on his video:

Quote:
NBA 2K14 - Tips On How To Dribble & Shoot With New Button Config & My Experience With The Pro Stick

Dribbling With New Pro Stick Controls:

To do a Escape Hesitation - hold RT+ flick RS to ball hand

To do a Quick Hesitation - flick RS to ball hand

To do a Half Spin - rotate RS towards rim

To do a Full Spin - rotate RS around back

To do all normal moves such as crossovers, stutter steps,between the legs, behind the back, stepback, and jab steps you have to now flick the RS not hold it in the direction to perform the move.

Shooting With New Pro Stick Controls:

To shoot hold RS in any direction

To do a hop gather press X while driving

To do a spin shot rotate RS from ball hand around players back

To do a half spin shot rotate in a quarter-circle from ball hand to hoop

To do a runner/floater hold RS away from hoop while driving

To do a layup hold RS towards hoop while driving

To do a Euro Step layup hold RS right/left while driving

To do a Hop Step layup hold RT + hold RS left/right while driving

To do a dunk hold RT + hold RS toward hoop while driving

To do a pump fake hold RS after starting jumpshot let go of RS
Needless to say, the controls are changed a good amount this year. I don't know what to say about it until I try it, but I am glad the double tap stuff seems gone. Hopefully the directional inputs are spot on like 2k11.

# 88 m-dogg @ 08/19/13 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nip83
Can't understand this whole negativity guys.For years i've been playing 2k and always dreaming of the time that i could do what the tricky,clever pg's in the league are doing.You know that cool style ,people like rubio,cp3,nash or rondo ,keep their dribble,slow down and change pace in the lane,create angles and then get creative with passes ,the defence ,could not imagine coming.

Now the new control scheme seems to get closer to these ideas ,it leaves room for you to be tricky ,pass into any direction in regards to your body angle and even pull off some fakes while driving(if reports are corect).

And all i hear about this innovation (free flowing passing with the LT) ,is that ,it's a chore for guys to relearn.
as long as defenders can deflect those same passes if they are timed poorly, sounds good to me. problem is, defenders didnt deflect poor passes into the paint even with a standard pass let alone flashy new extra control passes.

the user should have to have the same vision as Rondo and Paul thats all. if so, I will love it. I play player locked as PG 99% of the time, setting up teammates both human and AI.

(hope they have legacy controls if it turns out i liked 2k13 controls better)

# 89 svit @ 08/19/13 06:13 PM
Hm... you can call me weirdo, but I don't like it. Maybe I will change my mind when I will play the game but i am not impressed.

Here are my reasons:
1.) I think multiple outcomes from same input based only on duration seems a bad idea. I can imagine tons of complains after the release such as: "I've tried to do a dribble, but my player just shot from my side of the court." or "I've tried to shoot but instead of this, my player dribbled... this game is so scripted...".
2.) Why is it a good idea to put together shoot and pass? PS3/xBox/PC controler have 4 normal buttons + 4 modifiers + 2 analog sticks. Why don't we have one button for passing (one press -> bullet chest pass, two presses -> lob, L1 + one press -> bounce pass, L1 + two presses -> flashy pass) and one button for shooting/layups/dunks?. User will have much more control than letting a game to decide which type of pass the player will perform (based on situation context).
3.) In Nba2k13 (and 2k12) I've noticed "command queueing". For example you make a hesitation move, then rolling with crossover and when animation kicks in you loose all control of a player. Same applies for canimation which occured when defense is playing zone and offball. You make a dribble tries to pass to open guy, but due to animations your pass is delayed. I can't imagine how new controls will work in 2k14 when we have animation suction and "command queueing". I predict many unwanted shoots and passes
4.) How will new controls work on different type of cameras. I am using broadcast camera/relative position?

My suggestions of a new control scheme are:
1.) Left analog stick is strictly for movement. Up/down/left/right. If you have a ball in your left hand and you move left analog stick from left to the right, the player will move right with the ball in his left hand. In 2k13 the player will execute crossover (you can also make crossover by flicking right analog stick from left to right - redundancy) from left hand to the right hand.
2.) Right analog stick is strictly for dribbling. Depending of left stick + right stick combination, the player performs an action. For example flicking left stick and right stick to the right triggers right hesitation.
3.) 4 Basic buttons (Triangle, square, circle, cross) are for shooting, passing, entering post game mode/protect ball mode, hop steps/drop steps/steps... For shooting and passing the time duration also applies (for example holding pass button for a while will trigger stronger but less accurate pass, double tap passes will trigger lobs...)
4.) L1 is modifier for shoot, passing and dribbling
5.) L2 triggers playbook plays
6.) R1 turbo
7.) R2 icon passing
8.) Up-pad player heat check
9.) Down-pad quick on-the-fly substitution
10.) Right-pad run best plays
11.) Left- pad strategy (space the floor...)

I think this scheme will give user a better control over the player movement than current ones.

# 90 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/19/13 06:31 PM
Nothin about the sliders, though (from Beluba).

# 91 scottyp180 @ 08/19/13 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
This by miles.

It's silky smooth. That's the best way to describe it.

I will make many men cry when I shake them with Kobe in 2K14.
I love the sound of the controls being "silky smooth". Would you say that the controls are now 1 to 1 or 100% responsive? My problem with 2k last year wasnt the controls but the feel of the controls. It would feel slow and unresponsive while crossing over because you would have to wait for animations to play out and at times the player would do what I wanted. If you can answer do you feel like the new controls and system fix these complaints?

# 92 scottyp180 @ 08/19/13 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
I love the sound of the controls being "silky smooth". Would you say that the controls are now 1 to 1 or 100% responsive? My problem with 2k last year wasnt the controls but the feel of the controls. It would feel slow and unresponsive while crossing over because you would have to wait for animations to play out and at times the player would do what I wanted. If you can answer do you feel like the new controls and system fix these complaints?
Wouldnt do*

# 93 Shadojoker @ 08/19/13 06:46 PM
What the hell? If it ain't broke why change this again???!! Quit trying to overdue things! Just polish up things you have. Ipodking sold out with this video.

# 94 JerzeyReign @ 08/19/13 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboooo
Exactly. Just. know. when. to. stop. tweaking. sh**. 2k13 controls are beautiful. There literally should be zero change to them.
I promise I felt this way when I first read this but now after reading more I think the change is for the better - still will wait for hands on for final judgement though.

I also hated the 2K12-2K13 change initially as well but like you, I love it.

I think this is a #InWangWeTrust moments haha.

# 95 Ermolli @ 08/19/13 06:56 PM
Seems interesting at least the new controls but what happens with catch and shoot situations? Holding the right stick would make this more difficult to shoot very quick when the shot clock is expiring.

# 96 fradok @ 08/19/13 07:07 PM
wait... automatic dunks?!? just hold the rs towards the rim?

# 97 cshaughns10 @ 08/19/13 07:13 PM
I liked 2k13 controls because dribbling and everything felt more fluid and easy to do. But the pro stick sounds even more fluid movements. I think that this will be a step in the right direction. Of course I have to try them out first to be sure.

# 98 statum71 @ 08/19/13 07:23 PM
Why the heck do they change the controls every single year?????? >

This is about the 3rd year in a row or something like that.

# 99 Beluba @ 08/19/13 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavs25
But does it work well with different camera angles like broadcast or does it become somewhat confusing?

I mean I am not going to judge it until I play it because I judged last year's new scheme and I eventually came to like it more.
WRT camera angle, it's no different than last year. By default, the Pro Stick is camera relative, but you can change it to absolute if you prefer.

# 100 HuRRiCaNeS27 @ 08/19/13 07:46 PM
Lol you guys are a bunch of babies...

Its not rocket science to learn a new set of dribbling mechanics. Plus, every video i've seen the person makes it a point to say it's not THAT different and not hard at all to learn. Most of them learned after a couple games.

I bet this change is gonna make this the most fluid 2K game ever and i'm sure this is where the line is drawn with the controls.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.