Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Check out Da_Czar's thoughts on NBA 2K14's pick and roll improvements and post your thoughts.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 MarkWilliam @ 09/13/13 10:58 AM
YES!!! Czar!!

Keep 'em coming!!

Now the hype train can get moving....!

# 2 laker8la @ 09/13/13 11:02 AM
Wow, to the Czar- You continue to be the man! That was quite the breakdown, and thanks to you I can tell there is going to be a major difference in the pick and roll game on 2k14. Nice to see, and thanks for doing the video!

# 3 MarkWilliam @ 09/13/13 11:03 AM
Ok sorry, but now on topic....

Enjoyed that vid. This is something I have been looking for in terms of pick and roll focus (offense and defense). Such a big part of NBA basketball (or basketball in general) and its nice to see 2K in the right direction after the over sights in 2K13.

Definitely interested in more of what Czar has to say (as always) and HOPEFULLY more breakdown vids to come as release approaches.....??

This feels like 2K11/2K12.....

# 4 STLRams @ 09/13/13 11:04 AM
Nice Czar! This has drove me crazy for years in 2K not having proper spacing on offense during the pick and roll and also defense not rotating properly, or the help defense becoming too predictable and not catching the offense off guard by switching up the help rotation D. It is improved in 2K14 it seems, but I'm glad you pointed out how that post player is still sometimes clogging the drive lane during the pick and roll and that he needs to get out of the paint during that activity. Like you said, hopefully the devs address this before the game releases.

# 5 Optik @ 09/13/13 11:15 AM
FINALLY...Da Czar HAS COME BACK...to YOUTUBE!

# 6 TheLetterZ @ 09/13/13 11:30 AM
Phenomenal work. Sharing this with all my guys.

# 7 rbfn04 @ 09/13/13 12:07 PM
But... But.. But Chris Smoove said htere was nothing good about 2K14! lol

# 8 Barbatrucco @ 09/13/13 12:10 PM
Bad spacing in pick'n roll 2K13... why you did not say this thing last year when 2K13 came in the market? What you will say next year when 2K15 comes out, bad spacing in 2K14?

# 9 Vni @ 09/13/13 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbatrucco
Bad spacing in pick'n roll 2K13... why you did not say this thing last year when 2K13 came in the market? What you will say next year when 2K15 comes out, bad spacing in 2K14?
I know what you're saying but he Czar isn't the guy to say that to. And btw he wasn't forced to tell you about the center still clogging the paint.

It was a great video Czar. We've been heard. Theses types of improvements really give me faith in the 2K approach when you know that 85% of the players will never notice thoses.

# 10 Jasong7777 @ 09/13/13 12:35 PM
At this point the Czar should be in the game. I'm serious.

# 11 Da_Czar @ 09/13/13 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbatrucco
These are freelance pick and roll plays. If you find any videos of me saying 2k13 freelance spacing in pick and roll was PERFECT you might have a point.

The only videos I released for 2k13 were half court set offensive plays including the horns series... http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...HA2p_Lh2XjL6lY

If you have listened to my radio show I have complained about 2k13's spacing all year long.

That said isn't it common sense that more flaws will be apparent in a game almost a year after it has been released rather than a month before the new game is released ?

And yes if the spacing in 15 is improved even more than it is now I may make another video illustrating how it has improved, and after 9 months of playing 2k14 I am sure I will be able to find more flaws than I was able to see today.

# 12 Gramps91 @ 09/13/13 01:00 PM
Great in-depth video man. This is a welcome improvement.

# 13 JasonMartin @ 09/13/13 01:09 PM
Great analysis, I'm thankful someone like you is on this forum and providing 2K with this kind of information.

Props.

# 14 23 @ 09/13/13 01:10 PM
Fantastic breakdown Czar

Shows what intricate work has been put in and how some little things go unnoticed in quick show videos

# 15 rjohns23 @ 09/13/13 01:11 PM
Great insight! but I wonder how much does a player tendency plays into the freelance pick and roll.

# 16 Rdub33 @ 09/13/13 01:12 PM
Thanks for the breakdown dczar! Spaing is everything in pick n roll. There were a lot of plays in 2k 13 that presented good spacing options against man to man. Freelance spacing I would think is harder to code because the movement is so random. Even the video u showed for 2k14 wasn't intelligent movement. Mello would have no reason to cut baseline there. By staying in the corner he orchestrated the defender to choose help or hug. By moving the defender can do both! That's why horn plays are so effective because the shooters stay put in the corners as the ball handler works the pnr. To be honest I hope freelance ball is still broken, that way the play callers will have the advantage.

# 17 wxn8822 @ 09/13/13 01:13 PM
Czar, the best sim basketball consultant. Someone should hire him.

PS: I think in 2k13, if you call an iso play, the clogging paint and no spacing issue might not be as bad.

# 18 alabamarob @ 09/13/13 01:33 PM
Czar is the Andre 3000 of video game breakdowns. You rarely see him put out material, but it is always on point when he does. Good vid czar.

# 19 TeeDogg @ 09/13/13 01:42 PM
At this point I think the development team should pay less and less attention to the message boards and YouTube sim gurus and just listen to DaCzar. Between "them and him" we would be in good hands.

# 20 Taer @ 09/13/13 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
T...

The only videos I released for 2k13 were half court set offensive plays including the horns series... http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...HA2p_Lh2XjL6lY

Thanks for the breakdown. I really appreciated the real NBA footage setting up how a pick play "should" look so that it was easier to translate that into 2k play-making.

Perhaps this year you can release a 2k14 half court set offensive play video series as well. Then you can compare and contrast 2k14 with the old 2k13 set.

It might even help people see how a "better" developed play with coordinated movement is superior to what existed before.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.