Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Check out the latest NBA 2K14 tutorial video from our man Da_Czar, as he breaks down freelance offense and guides you through the spacing set available in the NBA 2K14 offensive strategies menu.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Rebel_INS @ 10/07/13 05:22 PM
Damn! I was hoping only a few people figured this out. Stop snitching Czar! lol

But really...spacing the floor is an incredible option 4 dominant big men and quick pick and roll action.

# 22 tril @ 10/07/13 05:55 PM
nice info, 2k is deep!!!!

# 23 Melbournelad @ 10/07/13 06:38 PM
Czar is the absolute GOAT of 2k commentary.

# 24 DrX @ 10/07/13 06:44 PM
love his voice pause...........

# 25 Da_Czar @ 10/07/13 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukleopatra
There's a few threads in the roster section showing just how bad it really is. I've been testing CPU/CPU since release, and I don't recall the actual Miami Heat taking 13 shots a quarter due to them and their opponents holding onto the ball until the final second of the shot clock every other possession.

If not for that last second shot going in 98% of the time, no matter how deep or contested it is, I'd be seeing scores like 65-62 on 12 minute quarters. Luckily, they seem to hit 70 most of the time.
I have always felt the AI does a poor job of playing itself. Are you seeing the same issues with user vs AI ?

# 26 Da_Czar @ 10/07/13 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjam
One thing at a time Czar, lets concentrate on the promised freelance and motion vids. haha, cause I still can't really see a difference. they seem to be the same movement. maybe its just bc I was testing it in scrimmage mode.
LOL. I got you. Staying focused!!!

# 27 Teddy_Long @ 10/07/13 07:29 PM
czar, so when i space the court.... players will not begin to move again once i call an instant screen and roll/pop? i hated this last year. once u would space the court and call an instant screen and roll/pop, everyone would start moving again. does this still happen?

# 28 jorge380 @ 10/07/13 07:34 PM
2k should hire the DaCzar and have him do tutorials on running the plays in the game.

# 29 Da_Czar @ 10/07/13 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy_Long
czar, so when i space the court.... players will not begin to move again once i call an instant screen and roll/pop? i hated this last year. once u would space the court and call an instant screen and roll/pop, everyone would start moving again. does this still happen?
No not when your in spacing. The nearest pf or C will run up to set the screen and the perimeter players will spacing with the ball. If the screener fades it takes the perimeter guys a second but they will also space with him. It just takes then a minute.

Now I put in another video that they need to fix the quick pick and roll in the 4-1 set. In that set if the screen is set with 1 of the 4 perimeter players the center will still bring his man over and be in the way.

That is the biggest issue I have seen so far.

# 30 sirjam @ 10/07/13 08:47 PM
Hey Czar you mentioned they won't split the post after a entry pass if your in space the floor. But I haven't seen them do that at all anyways unless its in a specific play called. am I missing something? Also it seems like when I call motion everyteam runs the same action, not seeing team specific motion offenses.

# 31 nogster @ 10/07/13 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I have always felt the AI does a poor job of playing itself. Are you seeing the same issues with user vs AI ?
I had written a fairly big response, but my cpu crashed so here is the summary of that.

I think you are correct to a point Czar.
It generally does a poor job of playing itself. 2k11 [after editing] played very well cpu vs cpu.
2k13 was decent in this regard too.
2K12 suffered from the same issues as this game does.
When I edit, I watch cpu vs cpu. Trying to kill two birds with one stone. It has been counter productive with 2k14.
But yes, the issues are not as glaring with user vs A.I.
But they are still there.
The cpu really struggles to follow through on a play. especially when it involves finding a player in the post. Which then causes a breakdown and either a desperate dribble drive to score inside or a forced shot to beat the clock.
2K12 had the same issues.
2K11 and 2k13 didn't.
I think the game plays great when you are controlling the action.
But the cpu's behaviour on offense needs improving.

# 32 Da_Czar @ 10/08/13 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjam
Hey Czar you mentioned they won't split the post after a entry pass if your in space the floor. But I haven't seen them do that at all anyways unless its in a specific play called. am I missing something? Also it seems like when I call motion everyteam runs the same action, not seeing team specific motion offenses.
HA! you wish the motion was team specific. If your not seeing spit actions off post entry I would bet your pass into post comes as a cut is happening which means that your pass is killing the previous cut action and not generating its own.

Wait an extra second before the post entry pass if there is a cutter IF you want the split.

The system will not finish a cut and start another on a post entry pass because that would ruin spacing for sure with 2 guys cutting through the lane. That is how motion tries to maintain its spacing discipline.

# 33 sirjam @ 10/08/13 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
HA! you wish the motion was team specific. If your not seeing spit actions off post entry I would bet your pass into post comes as a cut is happening which means that your pass is killing the previous cut action and not generating its own.

Wait an extra second before the post entry pass if there is a cutter IF you want the split.

The system will not finish a cut and start another on a post entry pass because that would ruin spacing for sure with 2 guys cutting through the lane. That is how motion tries to maintain its spacing discipline.
cool I'll check it out. I'm so intrigued by this years motion and freelance and space the floor gameplay this year. still see little difference but you know that. lol

# 34 Da_Czar @ 10/08/13 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogster
I had written a fairly big response, but my cpu crashed so here is the summary of that.

It generally does a poor job of playing itself. 2k11 [after editing] played very well cpu vs cpu.
When I edit, I watch cpu vs cpu. Trying to kill two birds with one stone. It has been counter productive with 2k14.
The cpu really struggles to follow through on a play. especially when it involves finding a player in the post. Which then causes a breakdown and either a desperate dribble drive to score inside or a forced shot to beat the clock.
2K11 and 2k13 didn't.
Thanks Nog!

# 35 bigtreydawg @ 10/08/13 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogster

2K11 and 2k13 didn't.

Very good observation this is exactly the problem I'm having and it's so extreme that I feel like I might be messing up how UservCPU plays if I get CPU v CPU correct.

The problem has always been that CPU plays perfect defense against itself and with the buffs to defense the offensive player has a real hard time shaking his man for a midrange shot.

Edit: Czar's voice is how I want to sound when I grow up.

# 36 Da_Czar @ 10/08/13 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtreydawg
Very good observation this is exactly the problem I'm having and it's so extreme that I feel like I might be messing up how UservCPU plays if I get CPU v CPU correct.

The problem has always been that CPU plays perfect defense against itself and with the buffs to defense the offensive player has a real hard time shaking his man for a midrange shot.

Edit: Czar's voice is how I want to sound when I grow up.
First off I LOL'd reading your edit. But I think your spot on with the bolded part above. When I finish this series I may watch a few cpu vs cpu games to see if there is anything I can send to 2k to make it any better.

# 37 nogster @ 10/09/13 12:12 AM
Czar.
The issue that needs fixing is the A.I's reluctance to pass to the post.
If there is any hindrance nearby, or the receiver is slightly out of position, or the spacing is risky. It won't and move elsewhere.
A human controlled team has no such reluctance, because there is little risk to the reward of getting the ball to the desired spot.
The cpu seems to think the risk is too great and moves on.
This is the core issue to the cpu offensive gameplay. and why many playbook plays are useless when cpu controlled.

# 38 nogster @ 10/09/13 01:07 AM
Its also an issue with pick n roll plays. The cpu rarely gets the ball to the roller/fader, due to spacing and it deducting a pass is too risky.
For all the talk of pick n rolls being much improved. I don't see it.
I see a regression if anything.
In comparison to 2k11 which [after edits] had a potent pick n roll game.
The 07 suns that I created were near unstoppable on offense due to the nash/stoudemire pick n roll combo being so deadly.

I advise you to select a Rockets vs Mavs game Czar.
That will be a good comparison of go to big men styles.
Watch how Howard rarely gets the ball in good post position or off a roll. instead he gets his points off off rebs or the occasional alley oop.
Watch how Dirk rarely gets the ball in the high post or off screen and fades.
Instead it will be the Ellis/Harden show. with Lin going back to his Linsanity days and Calderon shooting a lot more than he ever would in reality.

It is quite maddening for me. I know the NBA has become a lot more perimeter oriented over the years, but the good big men, whether they are scorers or playmakers, should be a lot more involved than the cpu allows them to be in 2k14.
I'm sure I can get it working but it shouldn't be like this out of the box.

# 39 sirjam @ 10/10/13 12:50 AM
i second this

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.