Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

SCEA just sent us this exclusive MLB 14 The Show PlayStation 4 screenshot of Matt Carpenter from the St. Louis Cardinals.

Click on the lower right side of the image for a higher resolution or just click here.

Your thoughts?

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Blzer @ 02/15/14 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
Have you seen any of the other pictures posted in this thread? People have posted the real Fenway Park during period of intense light from the sun and the wall was just as bright there as it is in these screenshots.
Yeah, but it seems to hit a different level of intensity than the rest of the field/players. I also think it's just kind of the wrong green/teal. I'm sure it will be corrected/different when released.

Here's a more concerning question: why isn't the shortstop heading toward third on the bunt?

# 42 bwiggy33 @ 02/15/14 11:09 AM
Looks pretty good if you ask me. I think Fenway's wall color is pretty darn close to spot on, especially since it's day time with a bright sun in that picture. As Ramone said the lighting system is still being worked on. If the wall colors change due to day or night and the weather, that's pretty stunning. That is not in the PS3 version, at least I don't notice that. The colors to me in the PS3 version are just extremely dull and bland. Seeing this pic of Fenway is a breath of fresh air with those wall colors. It's one of the changes I was hoping for coming into the PS4 era. It just seems like the PS4 allows them to do so many more things.

As for graphics in general, it will look so much different in action. I understand it's hard for people to not critique every little thing from the very little pictures that we have, but there is such a difference when actually playing the game. Looking at FIFA for PS4 before I played it, it only looked like a minor upgrade. Then when I started actually playing the game it was way better. You have to wait until it's on your tv and you see all of the camera angles to see its beauty. As for comparing The Show's graphics to NBA's, that's not even fair. People have seen NBA in motion. For me that game actually looks a bit cartoony, even though I do believe it is the best looking game on Next Gen presently. All of this is still a WIP just like any game for PS4. We are still so early in next gen and I just think people have really high expectations.

One last thing is that whatever graphical faults the game may have in the final version, will be made up for with the gameplay. For people who haven't had the chance to try Next Gen yet there is a substantial difference. That's coming from basically playing two EA Sports game ports.

# 43 RyanLaFalce @ 02/15/14 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrock11
Looks good but they're definitely not gonna be the best looking PS4 sports game like they have been on PS3.
I think they will be the best looking and playing sports game on the PS4. With it releasing in May, it gives SCEA a chance to get the game perfect and not have a release like NBA 2K.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

# 44 metsfan4life1 @ 02/15/14 03:48 PM
If the player models take a big step forward from what we've seen (in the few screens do far), then I believe they will be.. If not, then they're not quite there yet.

# 45 Russell_SCEA @ 02/15/14 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadNikk
Agreed! Time for a new broadcast crew.
Not going to happen.

# 46 tnixen @ 02/15/14 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadNikk
Agreed! Time for a new broadcast crew.

I don't think there is anything really wrong with the current broadcast crew. It's how the commentary flows between the 3 of them that is the issue. It's so boring and stale and needs a major upgrade. The commentary sounds to much like a video game instead of a real baseball broadcast if that makes any sense.

# 47 RyanLaFalce @ 02/15/14 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieBravo
The sheer expense of hiring a new crew, getting them in to record the unreal amount of lines, and syncing everything to where it needs to be is an unnecessary and unwarranted expense at this point in time. dont fix what's not broke. MLB's commentary isn't broke. (to think of a game that is for comparison)--> Madden 10.
Agreed. I have no problems with the crew now, but things could get repetitive at times. Obviously that will not, and should not, occur on the PS4.

# 48 juicer420 @ 02/15/14 05:07 PM
They don't sound awful, it's just that every game is the same. They really need to make things dynamic and give me the feel that the announcers know what is happening, what has happened, and what might happen around the league.

How do they do this? Well, that is the million dollar question.

# 49 RyanLaFalce @ 02/15/14 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicer420
They don't sound awful, it's just that every game is the same. They really need to make things dynamic and give me the feel that the announcers know what is happening, what has happened, and what might happen around the league.

How do they do this? Well, that is the million dollar question.
I think they'll be able to do this on PS4, without a doubt.

# 50 kehlis @ 02/15/14 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicer420
That's how it is with real life broadcast's as well.

I'd love to hear them talk about what happened yesterday and what might happen tomorrow but that's a different issue, the current broadcasts are no different than what we hear in real life.

# 51 ChadNikk @ 02/15/14 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieBravo
The sheer expense of hiring a new crew, getting them in to record the unreal amount of lines, and syncing everything to where it needs to be is an unnecessary and unwarranted expense at this point in time. dont fix what's not broke. MLB's commentary isn't broke. (to think of a game that is for comparison)--> Madden 10.
I agree that it would be a costly move and it all makes sense as to why The Show would utilize MLB Network guys for their commentators. However, Vasgersian has to be one of the most boring commentators out there..in real-life and on the game. After watching that YouTube video of MLB 13 The Show with MLB 2K13 commentary, it was really amazing how much Gary Thorne and John Kruk improved the overall game experience, IMO. As long as The Show keeps the option to mute Vasgersian, then I have no complaints.

# 52 calzonesays @ 02/15/14 06:50 PM
A lot of details for sure. Tons of batting stances, the works

# 53 RyanLaFalce @ 02/15/14 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calzonesays
A lot of details for sure. Tons of batting stances, the works
I totally forgot about this. With some players, they have gotten their batting stances totally wrong. Maybe on PS4 they'll get it right with motion capture and more space to work with.

# 54 Factzzz @ 02/15/14 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLaFalce
I think they will be the best looking and playing sports game on the PS4. With it releasing in May, it gives SCEA a chance to get the game perfect and not have a release like NBA 2K.

I think it'll definitely be the best playing sports game on ps4, but far from the best looking sports game on ps4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLaFalce
I totally forgot about this. With some players, they have gotten their batting stances totally wrong. Maybe on PS4 they'll get it right with motion capture and more space to work with.

As long as they still have the option to edit batting stance follow through and leg kick and everything, and hopefully improved on this as well, then you can pretty much always find a good stance for a player.

It just sucks when you play online or the show live and you have to use the bad stances assigned to players.

# 55 Burge823 @ 02/15/14 08:57 PM
who all is on the brodcast crew?? ive been out of the Playstation world for a few years and dont know who does it anymore

# 56 nemesis04 @ 02/15/14 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burge823
who all is on the brodcast crew?? ive been out of the Playstation world for a few years and dont know who does it anymore
Matt Vasgersian, Steve Lyons and Eric Karros.

# 57 SoxFan01605 @ 02/16/14 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealousMonkey
Tearing down this broadcast crew would be such a waste. Audio like this is very hard to do. I think if they just get better at integrating things and taking out the bad stuff it is just fine for commentary. Maybe rerecord some things and I personally would not feel at all troubled by it. They have a lot to get done. Commentary for me is way down the list when it comes to authenticity because what they have works.
Yeah, it is definitely a waste to start from scratch. That huge name database (including a lot of us who are lucky enough to have our names in game) would need redone, for one...and that is years in the making.

That said, I wouldn't put it that far down the list for authenticity. Commentary is a big part of what immerses a lot of people in the game. Fresh commentary (even with the same crew) can make the game as a whole seem more fresh too.

Beyond simply better interaction and variety, I hope the new hardware means that the shackles are taken off of Matt (whether they are externally imposed or self-inflicted...lol), because he is SO much more energetic and engaging a game caller in real life than in-game IMO. If we can get his better translated, I think far less people will be looking for someone new.

# 58 Hockeynut99 @ 02/17/14 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_21
Steve lyons and karros are too similar. Sometimes they don't even speak a word for long periods of time
That is not their fault. That is the developers and the ps3 power.

# 59 Eman5805 @ 02/18/14 01:14 AM
I'll be honest, I have difficulty telling the other two voices apart sometimes. I'm never sure which is talking and it constantly seems like there's just a two man crew going on.

And about the flow, it seems clear they are recording the lines seperately in different booths. It's so difficult to get the convo to flow. But whatever. Often times change the presentation to mute the commentary and crank up the field and crowd and PA. Crank up some music I like and go that way.

# 60 Blzer @ 02/18/14 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
I'll be honest, I have difficulty telling the other two voices apart sometimes. I'm never sure which is talking and it constantly seems like there's just a two man crew going on.

And about the flow, it seems clear they are recording the lines seperately in different booths. It's so difficult to get the convo to flow. But whatever.
Funny, I said the exact same thing when they first announced Lyons was replacing Campbell in the booth:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2044291890

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.