Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

With the additions of online franchise and quicker games, MLB 14: The Show is making it more appealing than ever to jump into its deep franchise mode. However, for some, the question then becomes: Which team should I pick?

For most, the answer is simple: their favorite team. But what if you are want a more specific challenge than getting the home nine to the World Series?

Here are some good (and tough) places to start...

Read More - MLB 14 The Show: Best Franchise Challenges

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 pay26 @ 03/10/14 10:55 AM
Colorado Rockies!!!

# 2 rkocjay @ 03/10/14 11:58 AM
NEW York Yankees

# 3 cream6 @ 03/10/14 11:59 AM
New York Mets

# 4 SVCbearcat10 @ 03/10/14 12:00 PM
I think biggest challenge is actually the Marlins. Astros are bad, but they have the best farm system. It will just take time for that talent to reach the majors, but they have a legit core (potentially) that will come up together. Marlins don't have too much to work with top to bottom.

# 5 HustlinOwl @ 03/10/14 12:01 PM
Win Now:
Dodgers
Rangers

# 6 tessl @ 03/10/14 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
I think biggest challenge is actually the Marlins. Astros are bad, but they have the best farm system. It will just take time for that talent to reach the majors, but they have a legit core (potentially) that will come up together. Marlins don't have too much to work with top to bottom.
The good news about the Marlins is any reasonably competent person with a good knowledge of baseball can do better than the current Marlins owner when it comes to building the team into a winner. Loria is a slick businessman but seems disinterested in winning.

The bad news is that is the worst lineup in the National League.

# 7 bigdaddykraven @ 03/10/14 12:31 PM
I've done this for years as a "the Show" fan. I really wish there was an expansion team option. Was hoping we could import Diamond Dynasty teams to the Online franchise and do a cool fantasy 8-16 team online franchise.

In the past I've taken the Devil Rays before they were good and became the Rays. The Pirates until they were good. Last year I tried Houston and I have to say, with all the young talent they have, they were too easy. Wait a couple years for their hitters to mature, then sign or trade for a couple good pitchers and you have a playoff team. They have a lot of money in their cap open so the challenge was small.

I agree above with the Marlins as a good options, but then you have to play in their new ballpark and see those neon uniforms all the time.

I really like the Padres as a challenge. They have some good pieces and you can probably get them to the playoffs with a few moves but the real challenge will be sustaining a system for 5-10 years. I almost miss the days when my Reds were a "bad team" and I could take over as GM for them. If you want a medium challenge though, the Reds would be a good one. You know they have the chance of making the playoffs and through a couple of moves, making them a powerhouse 'dynasty' team would be the real challenge.

Why does May have to be so far away?

# 8 Curahee @ 03/10/14 12:57 PM
I plan on doing a fictional franchise this year and Im not sure who to choose.
Id like to use a team I have not already in years past.

So far Ive used:
NYY
CHC
COL
SDP
BAL
PIT
ARZ
ATL
WAS
SFG

I dont want:
CWS
MIA
TBR
PHI

Im leaning towards:
CLE
TEX
NYM

# 9 tessl @ 03/10/14 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddykraven
I've done this for years as a "the Show" fan. I really wish there was an expansion team option. Was hoping we could import Diamond Dynasty teams to the Online franchise and do a cool fantasy 8-16 team online franchise.

In the past I've taken the Devil Rays before they were good and became the Rays. The Pirates until they were good. Last year I tried Houston and I have to say, with all the young talent they have, they were too easy. Wait a couple years for their hitters to mature, then sign or trade for a couple good pitchers and you have a playoff team. They have a lot of money in their cap open so the challenge was small.

I agree above with the Marlins as a good options, but then you have to play in their new ballpark and see those neon uniforms all the time.

I really like the Padres as a challenge. They have some good pieces and you can probably get them to the playoffs with a few moves but the real challenge will be sustaining a system for 5-10 years. I almost miss the days when my Reds were a "bad team" and I could take over as GM for them. If you want a medium challenge though, the Reds would be a good one. You know they have the chance of making the playoffs and through a couple of moves, making them a powerhouse 'dynasty' team would be the real challenge.

Why does May have to be so far away?
I was thinking the same thing about the Marlins. Maybe on the ps4 the ballpark will look good. As far as the neon uniforms, I suspect there will be an option to use home whites and road greys.

My parameters are a team with a pitcher friendly ballpark and low budget and I then build around speed, line drive/gap hitters and pitching. For several years I used the Pirates but they aren't as much of a challenge this year. They are expected to win. That leaves Padres or Marlins.

Padres have tried to assemble a team built for their ballpark and you are right, with a few moves they could be in contention although their budget would constrain what moves they can make -they have the lowest payroll in their division.

The Marlins on the other hand are a dumpster fire which is what makes them an attractive option for me.

# 10 TGov @ 03/10/14 01:39 PM
Boston Red Sox as I always do...

But with the addition of Quick Pitch, which I plan on utilizing, I will probably do 2 franchises. I usually go with the Houston Astros since I love there ballpark.(and retro jerseys lol)

In the past I've gone with the Atlanta Braves since I've always been a fan(2nd to my BoSox of course).
I really like the challenge of bringing a terrible team back to life and the 'Stros seem perfect for me... I usually play for like a month in the game and lose interests but quick pitch will greatly help with this...

Also whenever I play a 2nd franchise, I refuse to acquire any Red Sox players for obvious reasons but I also like to acquire some "unrealistic" players to make it more fun. But who knows maybe in a few years the Astros will turn it around and be a major player for a guy like Trout. Ok maybe not but I hear they have a pretty good farm system...

# 11 Kirby_SCEA @ 03/10/14 01:52 PM
Even though I'm a Giants fan, I've always liked to do rebuilds with my Franchises. Last year I did the Cubs and unfortunately didn't get as far as I wanted, so I might use them again, especially once OSFM are out. Playing with the likes of Almora, Baez, Bryant, Edwards, Soler, etc. and then of course the MLB guys like Rizzo and Samardzija make the team pretty interesting.

However, I'm also really intrigued by the Twins, and they might be an even bigger challenge. Buxton and Sano are rising stars that should be really fun to play with, but their MLB team is really pretty thin. Seems like a lot of work needs to be done in MIN to get that organization back to the top of the AL Central, but with Quick Counts and Player Lock (shameless plug), I should be able to get a lot further than I did in '13.

# 12 Curahee @ 03/10/14 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby_SCEA
especially once OSFM are out.
I love that a Developer uses OSFM!

# 13 ShowTyme15 @ 03/10/14 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee

There are pro athletes that use OFSM as well

# 14 Dwenny @ 03/10/14 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGov
Boston Red Sox as I always do...

But with the addition of Quick Pitch, which I plan on utilizing, I will probably do 2 franchises. I usually go with the Houston Astros since I love there ballpark.(and retro jerseys lol)

In the past I've gone with the Atlanta Braves since I've always been a fan(2nd to my BoSox of course).
I really like the challenge of bringing a terrible team back to life and the 'Stros seem perfect for me... I usually play for like a month in the game and lose interests but quick pitch will greatly help with this...

Also whenever I play a 2nd franchise, I refuse to acquire any Red Sox players for obvious reasons but I also like to acquire some "unrealistic" players to make it more fun. But who knows maybe in a few years the Astros will turn it around and be a major player for a guy like Trout. Ok maybe not but I hear they have a pretty good farm system...
Wow, I forgot about utilizing quick counts to play two franchises. I usually do the Red Sox, but this year it looks like I can play with the Cubs to experiment with.

# 15 Kirby_SCEA @ 03/10/14 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee

Of course! I love what Knight and the rest of you guys produce. Makes playing The Show in season modes so deep. I can tell a lot of pride is taken in making those rosters legit.

# 16 Chrisksaint @ 03/10/14 02:20 PM
Don't see why Miami wouldn't be a good team to use if you're trying to build. Good solid young rotation with a few good arms in the minors. Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna provide some decent young hitters that are in the majors and Moran in the minors.

The idea that they have nothing to work with is just uninformed. Who knows about real life, but in the game get a few more hitters in the lineup and you should be good to go.

# 17 cavsfan2 @ 03/10/14 02:26 PM
I think the Mets are a good team to use. They have three future stud starting pitchers in Harvey, Wheeler, and Syndergaard. Their hitting leaves something to be desired, but Wright and Granderson is a pretty good start.

# 18 TGov @ 03/10/14 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan2
I think the Mets are a good team to use. They have three future stud starting pitchers in Harvey, Wheeler, and Syndergaard. Their hitting leaves something to be desired, but Wright and Granderson is a pretty good start.
You have a great point, one of the biggest cities but a team that's greatly overshadowed. I like to rebuild with Houston like I mentioned in my other post but since theyre now in the AL, I may have to rethink my 2nd team. The Mets might be a good one for the reasons you mentioned. HOWEVER you didnt mention C Travis d'Arnaud... And I'd have to trade Granderson, he provides a great power/speed combo but he's a former Yankee... But he was traded there and seems so fun to use... I dont know we'll have to wait and see with him lol...

# 19 Cowboy008 @ 03/10/14 03:46 PM
Once the OSFM is out I will be doing a Tampa Bay Rays franchise.

# 20 baseballphanatic @ 03/10/14 03:47 PM
I just can't do the Marlins....That ballpark is hideous! You also will have maybe the strongest hitter in the MLB with Stanton and the filthiest young pitcher in Fernandez IN A PITCHERS PARK! Hechavarria is just fine at SS, Yelich and Ozuna can be solid and Moran will be beast. Salt will give u what u need at catcher so no way there.
Houston just is stacked In the farm and man giving up pop up HRs to left field in Minute Maid can b frustrating even tho CF will give u them right back.
I love the Padres for building but I am a SF fan and cant build up the courage to compete against my own team.
Heres my top 2:
Cleveland - No. 1 they may have the best Double A team in the game (Rubber Ducks). They really are a product of Francona and really overachieved. Santana is over at 3rd and that might get interesting. Other then Lindor and their stud Ginger in CF they have nothing to stick with.

Heres the team I haven't seen mentioned once for some reason....
Seattle Mariners....they have never won a WS, Keith Law has their minors ranked 21st. King Felix and Cano will probably take up 1/3 if not more of that budget they have. Who other then those 2 can u count on? and if ur like me youll love the huge ballpark.

This is the problem really....we don't have overalls or budgets to help make decisions. There has been a few ratings spit out here and there and the most confusing thing is in some screenshots u can c that the Padres might actually be better then a A's? It might be way dif down deeper but the A's have 4 players 85+ and the Padres have at least 5 guys 85+ yet the A's are head and shoulders a better team then the Padres

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.