Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

It’s a beautiful spring day in Brooklyn.

The smell of freshly cut grass fills your nose mixed with popcorn and hot dogs. A small murmur is coming over the crowd as it gathers in the stands at 55 Sullivan place for opening day of the 2014 Baseball Season.

This old ballpark has seen its share of history since opening in 1913, the year after Fenway Park opened -- if you are counting. The Dodgers have called this place home for years, full of its quirky dimensions including the short 297 foot right field.

As the GM, you’ve considered how your park was built and made adjustments accordingly. You want guys who can push the ball down the line here, center field does stand out there at an impossibly long 484 feet.

You see, at Ebbets Field, this place was built to have baseball played in it like it was being played in the early 1900s. Pitchers reigned supreme and the concept of the Babe was neither a ballplayer or a friendly pig from England.

Read More - How The Show Can Embrace Baseball's History

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 GrandMaster B @ 03/14/14 11:11 AM
Great post. I agree.

# 2 Cryolemon @ 03/14/14 11:12 AM
"To this point, no baseball video game has adequately approached the history of the game in a manner which added replay value — or really even value — to the game."

No console game. OOTP does a good text sim job of it.

I would LOVE for a game like The Show to include historical seasons / teams.

# 3 burjeffton @ 03/14/14 11:25 AM
Awesome post. No other sport has the mystique, lore and grand tradition of baseball. What baseball has over any other American sport is AUTHENTICITY. It's past is rich and reaches far back. If leveraged correctly, it would be a seller.

I bought Tiger Woods PGA Tour a couple years back for the sole purpose of being able to play the original Augusta track with old clubs and old golfers.

# 4 LastActionHero @ 03/14/14 11:34 AM
Kinda like the vista mode in Forza but then for stadiums in The Show. I like it!

# 5 Bullit @ 03/14/14 12:08 PM
Great read, could not agree more.

# 6 ty5oke @ 03/14/14 12:36 PM
One of the better articles that I've read on here lately. Great post.

# 7 Knight165 @ 03/14/14 12:50 PM
If God loves baseball like I think he does......he will get Ramone to print this out and get this to the people who need to see this to get it done.
If they take care of the stadiums......a uniform editor and custom league setup...
We'll take care of the rest!

Great read.

M.K.
Knight165

# 8 RayRay34 @ 03/14/14 01:00 PM
I feel like I just got done listening to James Earl Jone's baseball speech from field of dreams! Great article!!

# 9 hbk_wess @ 03/14/14 01:12 PM
something i have wanted for years out of a baseball game

# 10 eaw913 @ 03/14/14 01:37 PM
This really is one of the absolute best posts I have seen here in some time. I could not agree more with everything said. I would even be willing to pay extra (maybe even $60 to pay for it as an extra game for all the licensing and content) just to have this.

I really hope that this happens in the next few years. With the power of the PS4, this could be quite amazing.

# 11 beecravey7 @ 03/14/14 01:49 PM
This would be awesome! I went to several games at tiger stadium as a kid and would love to see classic stadiums and teams be focused on in a baseball game.

# 12 asu666 @ 03/14/14 02:32 PM
Baseball relies a lot on history, so I'm in favor of adding historic ball parks and seasons. Nice post.

# 13 SDwinder @ 03/14/14 03:05 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about! Been wanting to see this for a long time. Old Time Baseball did this in mid '90s on PC with classic announcers Curt Gowdy and Mel Allen. Talk about reliving my childhood memories. Always have loved the classic ballparks. If they could really replicate the older player faces, mechanics, and nuances from old footage, that would be too cool. I know we had some historic ballplayers in earlier The Shows, but they were not done very well and were not very compelling.
MVP PC had some great classic stadium mods that were very immersive too.
This needs to happen. I would pay full retail add on to have this in The Show, if done correctly.

# 14 cws @ 03/14/14 03:12 PM
I wholeheartedly agree! Unfortunately, I feel another company will have to make such a game. Sony, just does not seem very interested in the historical part of baseball. That's too bad. I've been waiting for such a game for many years. Great article! Thanks!

# 15 NAFBUC @ 03/14/14 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
"To this point, no baseball video game has adequately approached the history of the game in a manner which added replay value — or really even value — to the game."

No console game. OOTP does a good text sim job of it.

I would LOVE for a game like The Show to include historical seasons / teams.
Agree Cryolemon ..........along with stats!

# 16 Ghost Of The Year @ 03/14/14 05:29 PM
I love the old stadiums of yesteryear & would enjoy them being in the game, but I'd like to see a way to have two eight team leagues set up without having all the expansion teams cluttering things up. With import-a-player, The Show is already ahead of the curve over madden & nba2k in regards to historical rosters.

# 17 MBMavs20 @ 03/14/14 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDwinder
Now that's what I'm talking about! Been wanting to see this for a long time. Old Time Baseball did this in mid '90s on PC with classic announcers Curt Gowdy and Mel Allen. Talk about reliving my childhood memories. Always have loved the classic ballparks. If they could really replicate the older player faces, mechanics, and nuances from old footage, that would be too cool. I know we had some historic ballplayers in earlier The Shows, but they were not done very well and were not very compelling.
MVP PC had some great classic stadium mods that were very immersive too.
This needs to happen. I would pay full retail add on to have this in The Show, if done correctly.
You are correct sir. Old Time Baseball was my favorite baseball game hands down. You could replay any season and it had all the Old Stadiums. The only one it didn't have was Cleveland Municipal Stadium. It was awesome playing in Old Yankee Stadium where the monuments were on the field in Left Center.

# 18 JoshC1977 @ 03/14/14 06:27 PM
Just for starters, I would love for SCEA to put in an option for historical division alignments (with or without interleague play) for season/franchise play. That way, when the great community creates historic rosters, we can truly re-create the feel of those historic seasons without the need for generic teams replacing more recent franchises.

# 19 cepwin @ 03/14/14 06:42 PM
Brilliant! I absolutely agree with you...the history put in OOTP with the graphics of "The Show" (BTW, I'm partial to the old Brooklyn Dodgers..my Folks grew up there and my Dad and his friends would on occasion see Rachael Robinson doing her chores while they walked to school.).

# 20 buckeyedawgtribe @ 03/14/14 06:54 PM
All Star Baseball gave us a glimpse of this ten years ago. I remember playing with the old time players and always wondered why it just went away.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.