Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Check out the latest MLB 14 The Show video featuring the dynamic batting and fielding cameras in the PS4 version.

MLB 14 The Show ships on May 6th for PS4. Find out more about the game on our official page.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 giantsharks @ 04/21/14 08:55 PM
The game looks incredible. This video got me pumped, but I gotta nit-pick at a few things and i hate myself for doing so. As a giants fan a few dumb little things bug me and one is the bullpen. Relief pitchers do not sit in the bullpen at at&t park. Another thing I've noticed in these videos is every giant with high socks at home has stripes on it. I think romo sometimes still wears those but no one else does. Dumb things to nit pick at i know and im sure there is a reason behind it. Anyways, game looks amazing, I love the new camera angles.

# 62 StormsWarning @ 04/21/14 09:45 PM
Just so well done, The Team is really in sync, Like russell said in his ign video, where just not making a sports game, where trying to make the best game period, and you guys are seriously on your way, cant help but be proud. thx guys for making such an outstanding game.

# 63 kackle85 @ 04/21/14 09:50 PM
Is it just me or does pitch speed look incredibly slow on these videos?

# 64 BA2929 @ 04/21/14 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
WHAT? Why wouldn't the new lighting engine make it in? That was a selling point pretty much.
I think you missed his sarcastic emoticon with the tongue out.

# 65 Knight165 @ 04/21/14 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJustAguessxX
Interesting that would be left out, not a huge thing but why would they leave it out.
As crazy as it sounds...I think it was to help with framerate in the older versions....probably the same for this.

M.K.
Knight165

# 66 soxfan56 @ 04/21/14 10:35 PM
Great video, I can't wait for ps4, however, it is a shame we cannot have accurate uniforms for all the Major League teams. The Minnesota Twins still don't have accurate piping on their road pants. With time winding down it is tough to imagine these little mistakes will be corrected. Always hope for next year.

# 67 sroz39 @ 04/21/14 11:35 PM
I already use these angles both for hitting and fielding and absolutely LOVE them. So immersive and really put a fresh coat of paint on this game.

This video in particular, the visuals ranged from decent to good on the day game shots...and stunning on the few night game ones. Wow.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

# 68 BenGerman @ 04/21/14 11:51 PM
Not too concerned about the numbers thing. I wouldn't expect it to be an issue after this year, though.

# 69 strawberryshortcake @ 04/22/14 12:11 AM
I do like the new dynamic offensive camera angle after the bat makes contact with ball. Lovely. However, the only issue I can see immediately is that I can't see the base runner hustling down to first base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kackle85
Is it just me or does pitch speed look incredibly slow on these videos?
It's not just you. That's one of the things that have bugged me every time I see a video of MLB the Show. Unless there's an option in the game to speed up the pitcher's motion, the pitcher's pitching motion and follow through looks incredibly soft, lack of force, or umph if you will.

It looks like the pitcher is tossing the ball in a little league game rather than pitching in a professional baseball game. I know that Proyakuu Spirits baseball depicts the pitching motion and follow through much more realistically.

If someone has the game for the PS3, can you load up a video with the pitch speed increased to a more realistic level. Would like to see a 95 mph fastball actually look like a 95 mph fastball.

# 70 Blzer @ 04/22/14 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
A perfect example of how the dynamic camera (especially with the ball trail OFF) factors into gameplay can be found here: http://youtu.be/r2BP6l6MxnI?t=4m5s - you can see me being indecisive around second base because I couldn't tell if it was going to be caught or not. I definitely like the uncertainty it brings to the game, both offensively and defensively. Also, trajectory plays a part in the camera behavior as well.
Yup, that looks great. I really like that camera. I was talking more on the lines of the camera that's used in HRD. That one had some issues.

# 71 bcruise @ 04/22/14 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
I do like the new dynamic offensive camera angle after the bat makes contact with ball. Lovely. However, the only issue I can see immediately is that I can't see the base runner hustling down to first base.

It's not just you. That's one of the things that have bugged me every time I see a video of MLB the Show. Unless there's an option in the game to speed up the pitcher's motion, the pitcher's pitching motion and follow through looks incredibly soft, lack of force, or umph if you will.

It looks like the pitcher is tossing the ball in a little league game rather than pitching in a professional baseball game. I know that Proyakuu Spirits baseball depicts the pitching motion and follow through much more realistically.

If someone has the game for the PS3, can you load up a video with the pitch speed increased to a more realistic level. Would like to see a 95 mph fastball actually look like a 95 mph fastball.
As soon as this CPU game I'm running ends I'll get on that. Any preference on the camera and pitcher?

Legend difficulty, max pitch speed gets pretty close to real-life speeds IIRC.

# 72 xNeurosiis @ 04/22/14 01:46 AM
I wish this video had a little more meat to it, but it's still got me hyped up for it. After selling my PS3 (and 360) for the PS4, I've been itching to play The Show. At this point, the small things inconsistencies/errors don't even bother me - I just want to play the game!

# 73 strawberryshortcake @ 04/22/14 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
As soon as this CPU game I'm running ends I'll get on that. Any preference on the camera and pitcher?

Legend difficulty, max pitch speed gets pretty close to real-life speeds IIRC.
Just up it so the pitching motion, follow through and ball speed is realistic. Max pitch speed. I want to basically feel like I'm watching an actual baseball game on tv, like fox or any televised broadcast. No real preference on any pitcher or camera angle. Thanks.

Edit: Camera behind the pitcher is usually how games are broadcast, and this is top priority. Thanks. Might as well do camera behind the pitcher and also camera from the batter's point of view as well since you're at it.

# 74 bcruise @ 04/22/14 03:08 AM
Quote:
Just up it so the pitching motion, follow through and ball speed is realistic. Max pitch speed. I want to basically feel like I'm watching an actual baseball game on tv, like fox or any televised broadcast. No real preference on any pitcher or camera angle. Thanks.

Edit: Camera behind the pitcher is usually how games are broadcast, and this is top priority. Thanks. Might as well do camera behind the pitcher and also camera from the batter's point of view as well since you're at it.
Good thing I had most of this set to go before you posted, because I had already started...lol!

It's uploading now, will take some time because I only have 2 Mbps upload and the file itself is almost 2 GB uncompressed, straight from my video capture. I played a full inning and did the broadcast cam for pitching and my usual behind the batter catcher zoom camera for hitting.

Hopefully it comes out in 60 FPS on Youtube so you can get the true sense of how fast it is, but I'm not sure it actually will. Will embed it in this thread once I'm done - it's also a good example of the dynamic cam working, on both offense and defense.

# 75 bcruise @ 04/22/14 05:34 AM
Here ya go. It looks like it's 30 FPS unfortunately, and there's nothing I can do about it - you can tell by the ball movement that it's not 60. It's WAY smoother than that when you're actually playing, and also on my local recording. Hopefully you can still get a feel for the speed.

Since I'm posting in this thread I feel like I need to say PS3PS3PS3PS3PS3. We clear on that? Good. I don't want to hear about how the scoreboard flags aren't different colors.

Once it's completely processed, make sure to watch it in 720p - I don't think it defaults to that.

I went behind the batter for my own at-bats and behind the pitcher while I was pitching. The top half of the inning will give you the more realistic broadcast view while I'm on the mound. The new dynamic batter's camera shows up while I'm batting, though - with a couple of pretty nice hits! Suffice it to say I was a bit shocked I even made contact with those settings!

All of the OSD stuff I have on can be turned off - even the score bug if you so choose. I kept the home plate area clean though, except for the pitch location icon. Sliders except pitch speed are all default, btw.

Edit: This might give you closer to 60 FPS during the actual pitching, I archived the top half of the inning to my Twitch channel. Quality is a bit lower due to my upload limitations.

http://www.twitch.tv/bcruise/b/522056142

# 76 strawberryshortcake @ 04/22/14 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
.... snippet.....

Edit: This might give you closer to 60 FPS during the actual pitching, I archived the top half of the inning to my Twitch channel. Quality is a bit lower due to my upload limitations.

http://www.twitch.tv/bcruise/b/522056142
Thanks. Much appreciative. Definitely better than what I see normally posted for MLB the Show videos. The speed of ball is definitely more realistic.

However, the pitcher's follow through still looks a little on the slow side. Notice specifically the arm motion, it's a little on the slow side. It has a "warm up" toss pitching speed/action rather than an in game "pitching" speed/action. It's lacking the umph, force, strong, quick follow through.

I'm wondering if we could/should create a separate thread for this topic so reading developers could immediately see it instead of it eventually getting buried in this thread. This is one of the things that is holding the game back from completely mimicking what we see in real life.

# 77 Cubs1984Nostaglia @ 04/22/14 03:13 PM
Quote:
Thanks. Much appreciative. Definitely better than what I see normally posted for MLB the Show videos. The speed of ball is definitely more realistic.

However, the pitcher's follow through still looks a little on the slow side. Notice specifically the arm motion, it's a little on the slow side. It has a "warm up" toss pitching speed/action rather than an in game "pitching" speed/action. It's lacking the umph, force, strong, quick follow through.

I'm wondering if we could/should create a separate thread for this topic so reading developers could immediately see it instead of it eventually getting buried in this thread. This is one of the things that is holding the game back from completely mimicking what we see in real life.

Seconded. Thanks for that!

I do have to say Samardzija`s The Show windup is quite a lot slower than in real life. I don`t care much about pitching windups in The Show, but this is pretty noticeable for a guy who only uses the Cubs and obviously pitches with him a lot

# 78 seanjeezy @ 04/22/14 03:14 PM
Quote:
Its a problem with motion capture, if a guy half-asses it in his mocap session it will be reflected in the game. The devs can artificially speed up the delivery though, I believe a couple years ago they went through a lot of the old windups and added more whip and speed.

# 79 Grub @ 04/22/14 03:28 PM
I wonder... if they can get face scans of real players, why not get their real windups too?

# 80 ShowTyme15 @ 04/22/14 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
I wonder... if they can get face scans of real players, why not get their real windups too?
The players themselves would have to do a mocap session. Believe it or not a lot of players aren't cooperative when it comes to these things.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.