Home
NHL 15 News Post

The first gameplay video of NHL 15 on new-gen consoles has surfaced from E3. Give it a watch and let us know what you think!

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Aggies7 @ 06/13/14 12:12 PM
Unlike Madden I hope we haven't seen the whole presentation package that is coming this year.

Really would like to see intermission reports and highlights from other games (like back in the 90s).

# 82 Gerg04 @ 06/13/14 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amaizen Blue
If only we could get the guys from MLB The Show to make an NHL game...

That series has nailed gameplay AND graphics.
Ive been saying ot for a while we NEED SCEA to bring back the NHL Faceoff series!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

# 83 m_maclean24 @ 06/13/14 01:10 PM
I just want to give my two cents on what I have been noticing here on this forum. First and foremost, for those who have the time and dedication to do things like the Roster Revamp, etc. my accolades and appreciation go out to you.

Having been an observer of the forum in the past, and rarely posting, I have to say that there is an awful lot of negativity, and in addition, a clear lack of understanding as to what is plausible for a team the size of EA Canada in Burnaby to complete on a year-to-year basis.

I feel that some of the members here need to realize that EA has been hearing what is being asked for by the community. They have consistantly been adding, albeit piece by piece, things that the community is asking for.

With regards to the jump from last gen to current gen consoles: I find it pretty unrealistic for people to expect that all of a sudden since we have a new console, EA is going to fix every issue with the game. I am the first one to admit that there are major areas EA needs to find a way to fix their product, beginning with opposition and teammate AI. I would agree that it needs to be scrapped and built from the ground up. What irks me though, is that people seem to forget, or ignore the fact that this is a HUGE undertaking.

I realize that people are turning to the fact that EA Canada skipped last year on the current generation of consoles for NHL, and they have been quite upfront with their reasons why. They wanted to be able to use the technique and experience from the teams that did work on releases for the new consoles last year. Let's be upfront here - this is basically a diplomatic way of admitting that they didn't have the man-power to work from the ground up on their own.

For those who say EA has not made an effort for years to fix issues with the series, this is just a blatently ignorant statement. For anyone who follows Rammer on Twitter, it is clear that this team puts in many, many hours on improving this game on a yearly basis. In the past number of years we have seem moves in a positive direction, be-it the new player-player physics engine, skating physics, fighting engine, goal reviews, the list goes on - all while using DATED hardware.

The fact that this is the first iteration of the game on a new console, it should come as no suprise if NHL 15 is not perfect. The amount of change that has been implemented from 14 to 15 is immense, as can be seen by the improvements to crowd, player modeling, detailing, etc. I have confidence that the gameplay will be following suit in time.

To those who complain about things like player likeness and ask for face scans for players...think about this for a moment. In order to get a face scan of a player, you must meet with said player. The logistics of this alone make for a difficult venture for a production team of this size and budget.

I'm sorry for the long winded post, but the lack of common sense among some of the members here truly suprises me.

# 84 capnbuh @ 06/13/14 01:15 PM
Well last time we made the jump between console generations, EA made a whole new game instead of just fixing "issues" with the old one. But then, they had strong competition at the time, so they pretty much had to.

# 85 capnbuh @ 06/13/14 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr
I've asked this before, specifically to bwiggy but never actually get a response, what good is goalie animations if the AI is so ******** it couldn't stop a puck the size of a beach ball? NHL2k8 has to be one of the most over rated sports games in the history of sports games on a user level. The game was garbage, as was 2k10.

It's funny for how much complaining EA's AI gets, 2k gets a pass.
If anything, 2K8 was underrated... It's got a big 71 on metacritic. I agree that NHL 2k10 was bad.

I probably swore at NHL 2K8 more than any other game, so I understand the premise of your argument. It's just that there are some things that it does better than EA even to this day and one of them is goaltending.

# 86 Gerg04 @ 06/13/14 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayenomics
I actually like playing my games online...so please god no.
Yea me too. I hardly ever play offline, especially NHL. But at the very least EA could use the competition. It could only benefit us, the end user (in theory).

# 87 capnbuh @ 06/13/14 02:51 PM
Quote:
I actually like playing my games online...so please god no.
Isn't it great that EA has a monopoly?

# 88 SVCbearcat10 @ 06/13/14 03:51 PM
I think the days of multiple titles for a given sport is over. Games are getting too expensive to make for their to be more than 1 game. Splitting the sells may result in a lose, lose sutiuation for both companies involved.

Also, I think sports games may have a smaller fan base than other games. People who love sports typically play sports or are more active, which means less time for video games. I think the dreams of competition for these annual sports releases won't ever be answered.

NHL is the only game around because it was the only game that was good. They took off last gen while 2k, for example, couldn't figure it out. They were great on Xbox/PS2, but totally sucked on 360/PS3.

# 89 Gerg04 @ 06/13/14 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
I think the days of multiple titles for a given sport is over. Games are getting too expensive to make for their to be more than 1 game. Splitting the sells may result in a lose, lose sutiuation for both companies involved.

Also, I think sports games may have a smaller fan base than other games. People who love sports typically play sports or are more active, which means less time for video games. I think the dreams of competition for these annual sports releases won't ever be answered.

NHL is the only game around because it was the only game that was good. They took off last gen while 2k, for example, couldn't figure it out. They were great on Xbox/PS2, but totally sucked on 360/PS3.
I agree with you that sports, especially hockey has a lesser following than most games. However if a developer believes it can make and sell a solid product there's no way they don't make a game bc it costs too much or are worried about splitting sales. Think of the sheer number of FPS games that are/have been on the market. Apples to oranges as far as genre yes, but same principle.

A bad game is a bad game, see MLB and NHL 2k series (imo). The sales dictated it and now they don't make those games anymore. And come on man, gamers are gamers. Whether they play the sport in real life or not. Look at how many pro's play their respective sports games and video games in general. While I agree sports games (hockey especially) find it difficult to find the huge followings other games have, I don't think that was a fair assessment.

Besides absolutely flooding thr market, I can't ever see a scenario where more of the same sports titles is a bad thing. We as gamers should welcome more choices and deserve to see the competition to push theses devs to want to make THEIR game better than the other guys game. And if that leads to a clear winner and the other guy closing shop, so be it. Without competition we see the same rehashed stuff over and over. Need variety, creativity, the drive to be different and better. And these companies, namely EA, have become far too complacent and comfortable giving us the same stuff.

But, it is what it is. They sell, we buy. We should only hope to see other companies venture to share their ideas with us and give us options.

/rant

# 90 gabbers895 @ 06/13/14 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwo4Life75
I guess EA must have pulled the video from you guys! I couldn't view it! That sucks! I hope Operation Sports isn't in trouble for leaking the footage : - (
It wasn't on Operation Sports, its just a link to a youtube video.

# 91 Robo COP @ 06/13/14 07:43 PM
Sort of random thought pertinent to the discussion on the topic about multiple sports titles and gaming and whatnot:

I just read an article that said that companies in the console business are actually losing money. Microsoft has even flirted with the idea of selling their xbox division. Gaming is going more towards the smart phone route. I think that micro transactions that are going into every game now, as much as we may hate them as gamers, are helping to save the console gaming market.

Anyway, on the topic of multiple sports titles competing. Competition can do nothing but help the overall quality of the product. The firm has to put out a superior product if they hope to make money. It's the reason why you don't see 2k making an NHL game. They haven't been able to put out a higher quality product than EA and therefore are not able to turn a profit, so why try unless you know you can make that push?

However, the possibility of competition is at least some sort of driving force to continue to innovate and keep putting out a better quality game (as well as making sure their customers come back for more obviously). But in the instance of an NHL game, EA knows that if they severely drop the ball 2K (or another company I suppose) could then make their push into the market, so they have to keep trying to improve their game year after year.

You don't have to look any further than EA to see what happens to a sports title when there is no competition. Since they have their deal with the NFL madden games have become absolutely atrocious. They're ruining the game of football that I have loved all my life in the debacle of a game they put out every year. But that is another story. And obviously the NFL is so big that they are still making plenty of money off their game to justify continuing their deal. That deal, while obviously very beneficial to EA and the NFL, is horrendous for the consumer of sports video games. But they're making more money, so why wouldn't they do it? I know I would if that were the case.

So anyway, I went on a tangent their at the end. In closing I just want to say that while the market can seem to only support the success of one game (as the inferior product just stops being made) the fact that their is still potential for competition definitely still helps out in the game progressing forward. As long as EA doesn't strike up a deal with the NHL I think it is safe to say that they will continue to at least improve on the game.

EDIT: That's one thing that I have liked about the NHL team at EA. They are continuously building on their foundation and improving that. They don't come out with new ratings or new features in the game only to remove them a year or two later rather than trying to perfect them. (I'm sure there are some cases of this, but madden does that about 53 times every day or so. Exaggeration, I know...can you tell I'm bitter?)

DOUBLE EDIT: Really looking back at the history of the whole Madden/NFL2K5 thing, if I am not mistaken, I think 2K made its push to become more of a contender in the market because they sold their game for like half price (actually I think it was $20). So being the cheaper alternative they were able to grab a fan base like that. I'm sure EA took a dip in sales and realized they needed to do something, and the rest is history.

So maybe we should hope that 2K doesn't come out with a legitimate contender on the market anytime soon haha. Might just lead us into the dark ages of hockey gaming

# 92 jaateloauto @ 06/13/14 08:10 PM
Quote:
I've asked this before, specifically to bwiggy but never actually get a response, what good is goalie animations if the AI is so ******** it couldn't stop a puck the size of a beach ball? NHL2k8 has to be one of the most over rated sports games in the history of sports games on a user level. The game was garbage, as was 2k10.

It's funny for how much complaining EA's AI gets, 2k gets a pass.
You've fundamentally misunderstood 2K's approach to hockey which is why people are praising the goalies and think it's still better than what EA has.

EA's approach has always been "catch every puck, whatever goes in is a glitch that our animations didn't account for".

2K's approach was "if you create a great chance, you can score even if you don't do the glitch wrister/deke at the right angle at the right second".

It made for a realistic and fun experience. In online versus and online leagues 2K still has EA NHL beat in terms of the gameplay experience. The only reason I bother with EA NHL is 6v6 EASHL. Otherwise it's a cold, heartless experience of glitch shots and artificial momentum.

# 93 jaateloauto @ 06/13/14 08:32 PM
Quote:
I'm sorry but that's a line of junk. NHL goalies, if they can see the puck, 9 out of 10 times they're going to stop it. Not in 2k's game however, either the goalie will flop for the sake of a pretty oooh ahh animation or they'll glitch and warp out of position and let what should be routine saves turn into goals.
Yeah, that doesn't happen. Great chances often lead to goals, they're not saved 9 times out of 10. The main point in hockey is to keep the opponent from getting to good scoring opportunities. Maybe you like to play with casual sliders but that's not what happened in 2K hockey if you set the game up correctly.

Quote:
It very well may be it's a completely different experience online with EA's game, as I've said before I play 100% offline in GM mode and I have zero issue scoring when I have a good chance, be it from working the puck around and letting screens and deflections occur, or on a break or odd man. All on superstar which according to some is AI cheat heaven.
Online is all I care about, I have no interest in facing the completely awful EA AI that has no idea how to play hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
Sort of random thought pertinent to the discussion on the topic about multiple sports titles and gaming and whatnot:

I just read an article that said that companies in the console business are actually losing money. Microsoft has even flirted with the idea of selling their xbox division. Gaming is going more towards the smart phone route. I think that micro transactions that are going into every game now, as much as we may hate them as gamers, are helping to save the console gaming market.
Xbox division has always been a loss for Microsoft since it's inception. Core gaming isn't going to suddenly go "smart phone route", nobody who likes to play games on a console or a PC is going to suddenly stop doing it so they can stare at a small screen with their hands in the way you silly person.

The mobile market is made up of entirely different set of gamers. And 99% of the revenue in mobilie comes from free to play garbage that are specifically built around microtransactions that you wouldn't hope on your worst enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
Anyway, on the topic of multiple sports titles competing. Competition can do nothing but help the overall quality of the product. The firm has to put out a superior product if they hope to make money. It's the reason why you don't see 2k making an NHL game. They haven't been able to put out a higher quality product than EA and therefore are not able to turn a profit, so why try unless you know you can make that push?
The yearly grind makes it difficult for two or more companies to compete on the same sport game. If you only have a year to improve it then you need a big team to get anything done which is going to cost a lot and you're still not going to make a lot of results in a year.

Being the worse of than your competitors can easily become a self-replicating cycle. Worse sales mean you have less money to spend next year and that means the game will probably again be worse than the competitors which in turn in many cases lead to the competitor dying out.

# 94 PensDynasty87 @ 06/14/14 02:05 AM
I totally agree, I'm more of a offline player myself and actually can't stand playing online. With everybody poke checking all the time, the cheating like you say, and it's a hit party. It's def. a unrealistic arcade like game when playing online to me. I'll take a authentic real life like offline BEAGM or play now game over that any day that ends in y.

# 95 Vulcan7905 @ 06/14/14 04:10 PM
Quote:
Just out of curiosity how much real NHL hockey do you actually watch? You can try all the sliders in the world with NHL2k10, the AI can't even manage to perform a proper break out. Get the puck in your own end, the rest of your team is already zipping past center ice, including the D pairing. That isn't real hockey. On defense the AI can't even play positionally, it's too busy buzzing around trying to play bumper car hockey, sliders do not fix this The AI in that game is flat out broken all around period.

Online may be all you care about, good for you. Offline EA's AI is LEAGUES better than 2k10, even with the lack of neutral zone pressure.
I honestly don't know if you're trolling or being serious, either way, your insane. The NHL 14 AI is horrible. When they have the puck, they have no clue what to do with it half the time. Oh you have all that room to skate in and shoot? Nah, that's ok, dump it in! Hey AI, play D, Nah that's ok, they will just skate around looking at fans. Sadly, stuff that was in 2k14 is only now being added in 15. Realistic arenas and now 2 lines men and 2 refs. All these years and they add it now? Lazy Ness. The best part of 2k14 was how much you could customize players and it's what made online feel unique and not feel like everybody else with the same set of equipment. I wish 20 would at least give it another go, because then it would force EA to actually try a little bit harder.

# 96 Trevelyan @ 06/14/14 06:00 PM
What do you guys mean when you say online is a cheatfest? The better team wins the vast majority of the time, thats all you can really ask for in my opinion.

# 97 Mikey88 @ 06/14/14 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevelyan
What do you guys mean when you say online is a cheatfest? The better team wins the vast majority of the time, thats all you can really ask for in my opinion.
Yup i agree . Im level 62 so i get matched up with some really good players in online versus . And i gotta say is its extremely challenging at that level . Its tough to gain acces to the O-zone, and if you dont capitalize on your chances u will lose

# 98 Icelandair @ 06/14/14 10:28 PM
I might consider more online play if they had a way to integrate it into a season mode and not just random online games against the same 3 teams.

Not like GM connected, where you have to play the same people in your league and make appointments to get games in, but rather a mode where if I'm the Devils in my season and my next game is against the Rangers it randomly pairs me with someone who chose the rangers as their team. Of course that system would break down when I had to play someone like the Panthers who would have 3 people total who would do their season as them...

# 99 18 eighty 5 @ 06/14/14 11:47 PM
Quote:
The AI was on sim, not hardcore, so there is a huge difference there.

I'm not paid or an edorser of EA, but unlike you keyboard warriors, I understand what goes into making a product. It's hard. You are never going to get everything right, and you're never going to please anyone. If there are some improvements from last year, which I can already see there is, then that's a step in the right direction. I don't ever expect them to fix everything, but with the tweaks they are putting in, and some of the things they have changed, the game is going to be much better than 14.
Why charge full price for a few changes then? We have paid top dollar for 'tweaks' for years. Not having a shot at you but this game feels like it has been in limbo since nhl 2008. The entire body of work put into this series since 08 up till last year has probably been enough to make one new game in equivalent terms. BUT they release incremental updates each year and charge us full fare for it. 2014 plays different to 2008. Two different games that had years of gradual, subtle changes released as new games each year in between.

Again, it is becoming as stale as this series to say that a competing NHL game is desperately needed to deliver better consumer products.

I am not won over by anything shown or said so far about NHL 15 for new gen. The only thing they can guarantee for new gen is that the disk label will have the new gen system name on it.

# 100 bwiggy33 @ 06/15/14 03:16 AM
Quote:
Nope being serious, the major issue with the AI in EA's game is the lack of neutral zone pressure. Again we're looking at it from 2 completely different angles, you're an online player, I'm not.

EA's AI you can breakout how you'd like, either from behind the net going D to D, or the side boards. In NHL2k10 the second you touch the puck in your own zone, you're entire team, including the D pair can't wait to get to center ice to go on the attack. It's the same with positioning on defense, EA's AI will stay in position and at least try and block shots. 2k's AI is too focused on buzzing around the zone trying to hit everything that moves. Really the one complaint that could be levied against EA's AI is it can be too passive at times, but EA gives you tools to make plays. Where as with 2k's game you're stuck with flat out terrible AI regardless of sliders.

The perfect description I've found in regards to 2k10 is bumper car hockey, that's exactly what it is.

If EA can fix neutral zone pressure on higher difficulties and expand how the attributes effect slider works, I'll be pretty content.
I completely agree with you on the creativeness of breakouts (creativity in general is the best part about this game) and the fact that you can pretty much do what you want, but I still don't think EA does breakouts correctly. It's better than 2k's, but in EA you can still fling the puck to the red or far blue line almost every time to your winger and he's uncovered. There's nothing you can do to stop that winger from flying all the way up the ice like that either. It's one thing if he's covered by a defender but he's always open so that's why it's a huge issue. The strategies, Build AI, and sliders don't matter or anything. I've tried it all.

EA still has work to do on breakouts but I don't see it changing. The reason they allow that winger to fly up is to create that fast paced ping pong match game. They want you to fling it up and go 1 on 3 or whatever into the zone then shoot on the rush and let the CPU get the puck and then do their thing. Neutral zone pressure is number one on my list for biggest issues and the fling the puck to the red or far blue to the winger breakout is number 2. Yes, you can stop yourself from breaking out that way but the fact of the matter is it shouldn't be like that. I've said it before but you should never have to create house rules to make a game playable because the devs can't code a game properly on two pretty glaring things. I give credit to people that do that, but I for one cannot keep forcing myself to make certain plays just because the CPU is incapable of being coded properly.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.