Home
The Golf Club News Post

While EA is slowly making it's return to golf with PGA Tour 15, another Canadian studio is trying to make an impression with The Golf Club, coming this summer to Xbox One, PS4 and PC. It's already out through early access on Steam, but I got a chance to try out the Xbox One version of the game at E3 2014 back in June.

The gameplay pitch for this Unity-powered golf simulation is that it's an actual simulation, with a proper learning curve and a reduced number of assists from what you'd usually find in the Tiger Woods games. This means that there are no landing indicators on shots and that the player has to line up an approach with some level of foreknowledge. The Golf Club uses analog swinging, and there is even more room for error than in the Tiger Woods games. This doesn't mean that it's unfair, but each shot will have to be executed carefully to avoid shanking. Your swing is represented by a graphic on the side, and this helps provide useful feedback should things go awry. There is also a grid-like interface for adding spin, draw or fade on the ball.

Read More - The Golf Club Hands-On (Xbox One, PlayStation 4)

Game: The Golf ClubReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
The Golf Club Videos
Member Comments
# 21 turbineseaplane @ 07/17/14 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalbeats7
this is a rare sports title that doesnt need to come out every year. with that, they can make improvements as we move along as long as the core release is solid. sure it wont be perfect at first, but with the course creator and cross platform capability, it will be the social experience that the devs are banking on upfront.
Sure hope you're right.
Lots and lots of things need tweaking, especially the ball physics in a variety of scenarios as well as the chipping animation (which is simply wrong and bad).

I guess I'm concerned they are trying to launch without such core features as the simple ability to pick your conditions - The weather and conditions are literally tied permanently to each course for the foreseeable future.

# 22 drtrix @ 07/17/14 06:34 PM
With all the customization it is only a matter of time till you can play a full PGA career mode with actual courses.

I'm sure we have many adept course creators among this community

# 23 BBallcoach @ 07/17/14 10:09 PM
The fact it's $35 on steam for early access and they have to pay MS and Sony to put it on those systems. I bet it will be $50-$60.

Its one of my favorite games on steam... I was hoping there would be an OS tour but havent found anything.

# 24 OnlookerDelay @ 07/18/14 07:27 AM
The Golf Club is classified as an ID@Xbox game, so I'm thinking HBS will get something of a break on the license fee. I'll be shocked if it's more than $39.99 on the XB1. It probably falls under similar circumstances on the PS4, but I don't know Sony's structure for independent developers as well as Microsofts.

# 25 globalbeats7 @ 07/18/14 08:37 AM
I was hoping today would be the day...

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.