Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

OS'ers rejoice, you aren't the only ones who want NCAA Football to return.

With EA officially on-board with a reboot if player likenesses can be obtained for a new game, college football players seem to be more than open to the idea of a return.

"Give us the NCAA Football 15 (video game)," Georgia Tech Offensive Lineman Shaquille Mason said to a CBS Sports reporter. "We used to play it every day. We used to say during fall that would get us through the camp playing the game. That really was a blow."

The legal structures needed are coming in line now. The ACC, under Commissioner John Swofford, is developing their own likeness release forms right now to replace the current releaes. Given Power-5 autonomy, it is likely that we will see schools and conferences begin to work to possibly give players royalties for things like jersey sales and video game appearances, although money for TV appearances seems like an unlikely outcome. If player likenesses could be licensed for a video game, the legal issues a college game could face would no longer be present and its likely EA would be quick to jump back into development so long as the licensing terms made business sense.

NC State AD Debbie Yow says she senses 'strong' support within the Power-5 conferences to talk about the issue once the autonomy vote is passed.

"I think it raises the issue in terms of our consideration of it as part of our rules and regulations, and certainly from a legal standpoint it raises the issue as well," Swofford said. "I don't think it necessarily translates to paying players. I don't think you're going to see people running around using the names and likeness of players without really being careful and having appropriate approvals."

You can read more about this story on CBSSports.com.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 ODogg @ 07/24/14 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
Well, it's just my opinion - and that of many others as well - but I think you guys are smoking some good EA stuff if you really believe that Madden '15 looks good. The tackling is atrocious, the players look like robots, the commentary is lame beyond belief... if this is what you guys think is a good "starting point" then God help us all...

Sorry... just sharing my feelings and what many others in the community feel...

Start over, EA... for the love of God... start over!
To each their own I guess...I'm really excited..I loved Madden 25 and can't wait for Madden 15, looks phenomenal to this guy...can't wait!!

# 42 Dr Death @ 07/25/14 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
To each their own I guess...I'm really excited..I loved Madden 25 and can't wait for Madden 15, looks phenomenal to this guy...can't wait!!
ODogg, I know you well from here on OS - mainly because of your avatar... LOL And I truly respect your opinion, believe me, I do. I just know the things that I want out of a game and EA doesn't get any of them...

But... maybe, hopefully, if all the stars align, we can have a new college game and EA will have competition and we can have the right to choose and not just accept what is thrown at us. Upon that, I believe we will both agree!!!

# 43 ncaajunkie @ 07/25/14 02:27 AM
Todd Mitchell, senior analyst with New York-based Brean Capital LLC, said losing the NCAA brand isn't likely to hurt EA Sports. He estimated NCAA Football accounts for only about 5 percent of EA Sports' revenue, or about $125 million.

http://www.si.com/football/2013/07/18/ncaa-ea-sports

If ncaa is only 5 percent of EAs revenue that is such a small percentage and is not worth making. Why go threw all the trouble for a small return and possible more law suits. Ncaa will never come back. Sad times we live in. To me if I was in a the video game I would be so excited and feel honored! I would have no problem with them using my likeness.

WDE

# 44 Dr Death @ 07/25/14 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaajunkie
Todd Mitchell, senior analyst with New York-based Brean Capital LLC, said losing the NCAA brand isn't likely to hurt EA Sports. He estimated NCAA Football accounts for only about 5 percent of EA Sports' revenue, or about $125 million.

http://www.si.com/football/2013/07/18/ncaa-ea-sports

If ncaa is only 5 percent of EAs revenue that is such a small percentage and is not worth making. Why go threw all the trouble for a small return and possible more law suits. Ncaa will never come back. Sad times we live in. To me if I was in a the video game I would be so excited and feel honored! I would have no problem with them using my likeness.

WDE
And 99% of the players didn't mind their "likeness" being in the game. It was a small percentage who were looking to make $$$ that filed the lawsuit. I remember reading/seeing Colt Brennan saying how he loved playing with the Oregon QB at the time because he was so versatile... Like I said, only a small % were against this and that long after they were in the game. Sad. But greed rules the world - no surprise that athletics would be involved as well. To all those greedy ############# all I can say is that I hope that Karma haunts you the rest of your days. You greedy #######!!!!

# 45 Murph @ 07/25/14 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
In a dream world EA would handle NCAA football and 2K would jump back into the fold with College Hoops. NCAA football 14 was gem and it beats Madden 25 on the XB1 for me. I would love to see EA continue that on the XB1/PS4. A College Hoops game on par with NBA 14! What! Imagine a MyPlayer mode focused on your college career, then taking that player to the league.
My thoughts exactly!

# 46 Sundown2600 @ 07/25/14 10:59 AM
If any new college game turns out to be a repeat of the EA dog and pony show, meaning exclusive rights, then they can keep it. Next EA gen no different from last. Players still skating on ice and making unrealistic change of direction moves. Robotic, android type flow. Nah I'm good. They can keep it.

# 47 Sundown2600 @ 07/26/14 08:38 AM
Quote:
And 99% of the players didn't mind their "likeness" being in the game. It was a small percentage who were looking to make $$$ that filed the lawsuit. I remember reading/seeing Colt Brennan saying how he loved playing with the Oregon QB at the time because he was so versatile... Like I said, only a small % were against this and that long after they were in the game. Sad. But greed rules the world - no surprise that athletics would be involved as well. To all those greedy ############# all I can say is that I hope that Karma haunts you the rest of your days. You greedy #######!!!!
Seriously? You're making this personal because a few of "greedy" athletes decided to get smart and bring an important subject to light? Just because 99% (as you say) of the athletes didn't mind the NCAA making a profit off of their likenesses it still doesn't make it right. You're talking about Karma like these guys robbed a bank and killed hostages. That is just ridiculous. You're talking about greed ruling the world, but you direct it towards the plaintiffs in the case because you blame them for taking away your football game? The NCAA and these power universities are splitting multi billion dollar jackpots off of TV deals alone. Now ask yourself. Who's greedy?

# 48 theepicman115 @ 07/26/14 02:09 PM
EA should pay the schools to use their players likeness and for EA to use that schools logo! The NCAA can split the money that was paid to use a players likeness!

# 49 Dr Death @ 07/26/14 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown2600
Seriously? You're making this personal because a few of "greedy" athletes decided to get smart and bring an important subject to light? Just because 99% (as you say) of the athletes didn't mind the NCAA making a profit off of their likenesses it still doesn't make it right. You're talking about Karma like these guys robbed a bank and killed hostages. That is just ridiculous. You're talking about greed ruling the world, but you direct it towards the plaintiffs in the case because you blame them for taking away your football game? The NCAA and these power universities are splitting multi billion dollar jackpots off of TV deals alone. Now ask yourself. Who's greedy?
First of all, no, I am not making this personal. As soon as EA gained the exclusive rights deal back in 2005, I told my brother that those of us who play the game would be hurt the most... and I feel strongly that history has proven me right. So I am personally not hurt that there isn't a game this year, particularly when I see them porting over Madden and not starting from scratch on the new-gen of systems.

That said, these players didn't sue EA or the NCAA until how long after they were out of school? Once they hadn't done anything in their professional lives, then they bring out this "likeness" suit. And they should have known that the money they would receive would be very little and that the attorneys would end up with most of it.

No, if they were so upset about their likeness in the game, they should have done something about it at the time that their likeness was actually in the game. I fully agree that colleges and television networks make an absolute killing on college athletics, but all the players know this before they commit... that's why some choose the big schools like USC, Alabama, Ohio State, etc... it's for the exposure that being there will bring them.

Ultimately, some sort of agreement will be reached and games will return and hopefully not just one company will be making them. Because, just like college football, competition does bring out the best in people. I just believe these players that filed the suit could have gone about it in a much more efficient manner than what they did.

# 50 ODogg @ 07/27/14 02:16 PM
Quote:
First of all, no, I am not making this personal. As soon as EA gained the exclusive rights deal back in 2005, I told my brother that those of us who play the game would be hurt the most... and I feel strongly that history has proven me right. So I am personally not hurt that there isn't a game this year, particularly when I see them porting over Madden and not starting from scratch on the new-gen of systems.

That said, these players didn't sue EA or the NCAA until how long after they were out of school? Once they hadn't done anything in their professional lives, then they bring out this "likeness" suit. And they should have known that the money they would receive would be very little and that the attorneys would end up with most of it.

No, if they were so upset about their likeness in the game, they should have done something about it at the time that their likeness was actually in the game. I fully agree that colleges and television networks make an absolute killing on college athletics, but all the players know this before they commit... that's why some choose the big schools like USC, Alabama, Ohio State, etc... it's for the exposure that being there will bring them.

Ultimately, some sort of agreement will be reached and games will return and hopefully not just one company will be making them. Because, just like college football, competition does bring out the best in people. I just believe these players that filed the suit could have gone about it in a much more efficient manner than what they did.
I agree with you on all of the above. Well said!

# 51 dso122783 @ 07/27/14 02:22 PM
While I don't have a law degree, I'd say it doesn't matter what the players (one lineman from Georgia Tech) say at this point. Ed O and the others have EA so deep into this legal battle, we wont have a game for acouple years if that.

# 52 Spitfirex007 @ 07/27/14 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngeloTMNT
Ya, there prb won't be a NCAA Football 16, but I can see them creating the game behind closed doors until this likeness mess gets straightened out, then adding the schools and players real quick. Pretty cool that we are going to get real NCAA players now. Hopefully they will put out a basketball game too.

Im dying for a college basketball game. But id much rather 2k made it. NBA live was a joke. NCAA basketball 10 was a step in the right direction..but the game would always freeze and never got patched.

As far as college football. I think Ncaa 17 is possible. I have no hopes for 15 or 16. But hell at this point id settle for a next gen port

# 53 rodmerk @ 07/29/14 04:21 PM
It's a real simple process! All EA has to do is draw up contracts with the schools and players before developing the game. The players that want to have their likeness on the game should sign off on it, the ones who don't can be omitted from the game. The contract should states that you are signing this with your knowledge that you are participating in the game and EA and the NCAA aren't obligated to compensate you. I could care less about historic teams but they would have to sign off too. Just my opinion but I bet you would get all FBS teams and players signed on. It's a shame how a popular football game (NCAA) & basketball game (College Hoops) is not on the shelf!! Just let the current players sign off on it!!

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.