Home
NHL 15 News Post

EA Sports has just released two NHL 15 gameplay videos, which shows off the gameplay, new camera angles (Dynamic Low, Dynamic Medium, and Dynamic High), commentary and more.

Watch the embedded videos above or click here for video #1 and here for video #2.

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 hgg @ 08/15/14 05:26 PM
Skating looked bad...
or what do you guys think?

# 22 Syce @ 08/15/14 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic04
a bit disappointed in the commentary (or I should say the intensity level) but game play and presentation looks extremely good .. very impressive!
i agree, commentary at this stage is not sounding that great, though it is nice that its doc and eddie but doc needs to sound like he does when he commentates Real NHL games, with the intensity and stuff.

# 23 billman29 @ 08/15/14 05:35 PM
NBCSN vs NBC

# 24 johnnyg713 @ 08/15/14 05:43 PM
Presentation, graphics, skating, physics, stick handling, goal celebrations all look really good.
Goalie animations need to be a huge focus next year.

# 25 spidertour02 @ 08/15/14 05:44 PM
I like what I see, but not what I hear. I hope Doc livens it up a bit in the right moments because this sounded too subdued.

# 26 actionhank @ 08/15/14 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgg
Skating looked bad...
or what do you guys think?
It still looks to me like it's the NHL14 engine in terms of physics and movement.
Don't get me wrong, the graphics look great, and the new commentary is a nice welcome.
I'm just really hoping sliders actually have some affect this year, and that a lot of the issues i see in terms of the shooting and player/goalie movement are legacy issues from the game still supporting last gen.

Goalie movement and player skating look pretty much unchanged. It's still incredibly easy for almost any player to change directions, and for goalies to make odd saves and attempts. That last Florida goal where the goalie dives has looked terrible since it was added. The goalie doesn't really dive to the side, so much as it looks like he pretty much moves very little but just turns sideways in the air.
Honestly, it'll probably come down to slider effectiveness, and BeAGM improvements that decide if i purchase this year, or wait for 16. The game doesn't look bad, but graphics never bothered me on the PS3. It's always been gameplay and the absolutely sterile BeAGM mode that have left me bored after a few months.
Hopefully i will be wrong, because damn, the graphics look incredible.

# 27 statum71 @ 08/15/14 05:50 PM
I was looking sooo forward to Doc.

But he sounds robotic. No excitment in his calls. Commentary doesn't flow at all.

Extremely disappointed. (

# 28 Arrowhead21 @ 08/15/14 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I'm just really hoping sliders actually have some affect this year.
sliders have always had a great effect on the game, especially if you play on Hardcore game style. I agree with what you said about goalie movement though. We desperately need some new goalie animations.

# 29 meep316 @ 08/15/14 05:56 PM
****ing finally. Watching now. Notes will be made here:

-First things first. I hate when they have a shadowed puck. Turn the puck shadow off and keep the puck size on authentic. It looks infinity times better that way. Especially when showing off a game, you want it to look as good as possible.

-Some of the skating and passing (I hate when people just pass without using the right stick first to position it, it looks so bad) still looks a little wonky, but I can definitely see the improvements.

-The weaving in and out and changing of direction looks so much better than the figure 8 type skating of the past

-The jerseys look a lot better than initially where it seemed like there was too much wind going around and that they were belly dancing or something.

-Net physics still aren't where they should be. There should be way more ricochet when the puck hits the net. Often times in real life, the puck absolutely rockets out of the net on a goal.

-Hard to tell about the AI since it's just a bunch of random short clips, but I really liked on the Fehr goal how he went to the right spot, STOPPED, and actually moved back a foot to put himself in the best position to receive that pass.

-The collisions look good. The best part of that initial trailer that they released was when Bobby Ryan got tripped up. Those look great.

-Suter's goal in the second video, that one timer from the forehand angle thing, that has been in the game forever and looks horrible. Goals aren't scored like that, shots aren't taken like that. It looks so bad, I don't know why that's still in the game after all of these years.

-Goal celebrations look great, the ice looks great, crowd looks great, graphics look great. The real Doc and Edzo being in the game on the green screen does nothing for me, but the NBC layout looks great. I hate Emerick's voice so I planned on muting him anyway. But that's not just an NHL thing, I almost always mute commentators on sports games. Just impossible to get that right. Overall the presentation is great, but the crowd noise needs work, especially on goals. Maybe it'll be better in the playoff atmospheres.

Overall, much better than I expected. I will definitely make my final decision when the demo comes out, but right now I'm 99% sure I'm going to get it. Just have to make sure there are real improvements with the AI. I don't know why the **** they waited so long to show all of this.

# 30 bwiggy33 @ 08/15/14 05:59 PM
The presentation looks absolutely terrific. The commentary though is pretty bad from the bits in the video. There is so much dead air from Doc. The game action commentary honestly sounds like when commentary first made an appearance in sports games. It's just so basic. He passes. He stays onside. He makes a move. There's just nothing to it. In those two videos Doc barely says who did what. It's always a simple sentence. The simple sentence is fine but when the name of the player isn't said it sounds really bad. I know it's the first year of Doc, Eddie, and Ray but the in game action commentary isn't very good at all. The offplay material will probably be much better though because you can tell from the Intros that it sounds much better.

As for the gameplay it looks pretty much identical to last gen and that's not good at all. The new moves look really good though. Sadly the video shows that basically anybody can pull off the moves. For online players I can see that just being a $hit$how at times with people spamming moves. Of course the one thing I'm looking for (neutral zone pressure) can't even be seen in the video because it's 1 v 1. I'm not expecting that area to be changed anyway though. All in all to me it just looks like the same plain game with way better presentation and better visuals. As of now I honestly can't say it looks like it's worth buying. The demo and impressions from the guys who play on XBOX One 5 days early will end up being the deciding factor though. Honestly the game looks exactly how I thought it would so it's a good thing I kept my hype level in check.

# 31 Cletus @ 08/15/14 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
The presentation looks absolutely terrific. The commentary though is pretty bad from the bits in the video. There is so much dead air from Doc. The game action commentary honestly sounds like when commentary first made an appearance in sports games. It's just so basic. He passes. He stays onside. He makes a move. There's just nothing to it. In those two videos Doc barely says who did what. It's always a simple sentence. The simple sentence is fine but when the name of the player isn't said it sounds really bad. I know it's the first year of Doc, Eddie, and Ray but the in game action commentary isn't very good at all. The offplay material will probably be much better though because you can tell from the Intros that it sounds much better.

As for the gameplay it looks pretty much identical to last gen and that's not good at all. The new moves look really good though. Sadly the video shows that basically anybody can pull off the moves. For online players I can see that just being a $hit$how at times with people spamming moves. Of course the one thing I'm looking for (neutral zone pressure) can't even be seen in the video because it's 1 v 1. I'm not expecting that area to be changed anyway though. All in all to me it just looks like the same plain game with way better presentation and better visuals. As of now I honestly can't say it looks like it's worth buying. The demo and impressions from the guys who play on XBOX One 5 days early will end up being the deciding factor though. Honestly the game looks exactly how I thought it would so it's a good thing I kept my hype level in check.
I understand what you're saying and I'm sure you know I mostly agree with you on everything with this series. I'm not sure what you expected, though. This game hasn't been what you've wanted for years now and the direction of it is far away from what you or i want in a hockey game. I'll still play (and bitch) about it though. I just think you will never be happy with this team and their direction.

# 32 bwiggy33 @ 08/15/14 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
I understand what you're saying and I'm sure you know I mostly agree with you on everything with this series. I'm not sure what you expected, though. This game hasn't been what you've wanted for years now and the direction of it is far away from what you or i want in a hockey game. I'll still play (and bitch) about it though. I just think you will never be happy with this team and their direction.
You're definitely right that I will never be fully happy with the game. However, I've said this in other threads, if they just change neutral zone pressure alone the game will at least be playable for me. I just got so sick of having to create house rules in order to have any sort of fun. I want a challenge and this game just doesn't provide it, due to how easy it is to gain access to the offensive zone.

# 33 VeryEvilAsh @ 08/15/14 06:33 PM
It looks great (except the green screen shots). Commentary is really lacking. Eddies "I saw that play a mile away" was cringe worthy and I got a feeling we're going to hear that line a lot. Refs still skate like they have bricks in their underwear and their hands are still stuck open. Like all sports games the players constantly bump into each other without acknowledging it. It just looks odd.

# 34 Sparkles @ 08/15/14 06:42 PM
Doc didn't sound that hyped up but overall day one purchase. Gameplay and smoothness looks amazing

# 35 El_Poopador @ 08/15/14 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
Commentary=yuk. Some guys have knack for sounding natural some don't. The previous duo had it nailed...this commentary is pretty bad IMO.
I think that's a first-year issue. The previous team had several years to record new lines. Hopefully it will get better from year to year.

# 36 brandon27 @ 08/15/14 07:03 PM
Looks awesome! Not very impressed by the commentary though. I don't like Emrick at all really, his voice bothers me, but I do love the excitement he brings to a game, it just sounds so... off... in the game though. Like... its just weird and awkward sounding. All in all though, looks awesome. Still cant wait to play this..

# 37 Money99 @ 08/15/14 07:09 PM
I really, really liked the (hopefully) default speed of the game.
Not too fast, not too slow. Seemed to mirror the speed of a real NHL game.

Saw lots of great moves out there too. Loved Bjugstad's goal. Very, very nice.

# 38 Fiddy @ 08/15/14 07:13 PM
Graphics and presentation, cool!

Commentary is what I expected.. So so!

Gameplay, sigh!

Same stuff is going to work etc. I'm tired of the over extending right stick deking etc. Just way over done and needs toned down. Been like that since what 07, so that's never changing.

Time for new eyes on this series Dev wise.

# 39 MizzouRah @ 08/15/14 07:15 PM
I want it NOW.. seriously.. game looks incredible and my neighbor is going to run out and get an xb1 after the first game we play against each other.

Presentation got a ton of love and it's about time!

The only thing I don't like so far is the soundtrack.. this is hockey where are the up tempo/rock songs?

Maybe in NHL 16 they get each home team's goal song into the game.

# 40 ch46647 @ 08/15/14 07:16 PM
Honestly, I think the commentary sounds pretty good for a first year effort. I would like to see them improve his "goal" lines though. He should be exploding with excitement and right now its very bland.

Gameplay looked solid, very similar to years past but looks smooth as always. This year was clearly a focus on presentation which they have made huge strides in. I expect next year to see similar strides in gameplay, most specifically goalies, defense and AI

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.