Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

Video by Chris Smoove
on YouTube.

NBA 2K15 is rolling with a brand new look this year to MyCAREER with an all-new backstory where you will (spoiler alert) become an undrafted free agent. This year's mode begins in January instead of before the NBA season, where you will be signing on with short-term deals trying to make a team in the NBA. Another tidbit we've already known is you'll be able to scan your face into the game if you so choose, so your player will look a lot more like yourself if you want to go that route.

The big thing is that you'll be testing free agency right off of the bat, and testing different offers against one another. This is a unique take to the Career mode story, and it seems like a hopeful prospect that you'll be doing a lot of new things in this year's mode you haven't yet done.

Here's to hoping you can skip the cut scenes!

What did you think about the opening scene and the face scan technology?

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 OkayC @ 09/22/14 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clappington
Thats funny because if i'm not mistaken Didn't Rob Jones just say 1st time ever MyCareer was the most played game mode? Guess you would know something a Dev wouldn't... that makes sense lol.
you haven't been here long enough apparently, because they said the same thing about 2k13 back when 2k14 was about to come out.

# 162 HowDareI @ 09/22/14 10:10 PM
If they don't change the mode around tho people won't keep playing it...

Look at Call of Duty, people aren't playing that as much because it's been the same game now.

I don't understand what's so bad about the story? It doesn't effect the core gameplay at all.

# 163 OkayC @ 09/22/14 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI

Look at Call of Duty, people aren't playing that as much because it's been the same game now.

I don't understand what's so bad about the story? It doesn't effect the core gameplay at all.
Please read the post, 3 posts above yours.

# 164 Clappington @ 09/22/14 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkayC
youve been here since 2005 but apparently haven't read forums since, because they said the same thing about 2k13 back when 2k14 was about to come out.
Any Proof of this? links? recording? or am I just suppose to take your word? Im sorry would you like me to supply you with some real information? I would be more than happy, none the less if you don't wanna play it then don't 2k isn't going to force you.

# 165 swac07 @ 09/22/14 10:12 PM
Lol you guys think 2k made this stuff about what goes in the NBA like stupid bets, clown noses, and etc..?

It happens in real life behind closed doors in the NBA and especially Nfl...as kooky as it may seem in game im sure they talked to players to receive insight on what goes on (well the G rated versions) behind closed doors on a team. I have a homie in the NFL now and the rookie stories he"s told me are not too far fetched from some of the stuff that was in 2k14...just 2k took the "mild" approach about it

# 166 The 24th Letter @ 09/22/14 10:13 PM
Unless there is actual data to back it up, it really doesn't make any sense to say what was in demand and what wasn't...all we do know, which has come directly from the devs mouth, is that MyPlayer was once again the most played mode in the game...and that people responded to the changes last year...

# 167 SPRINGS03 @ 09/22/14 10:14 PM
Quote:

COD still sells out and breaks sales records man. But that's besides the point.

The story actually does effect the core gameplay when it forces scripted sequences like making you hit have to hit a buzzer beater, scripted injuries, missed free throws for the sake of story. Etc. It also does encourage a hero ball "be the next michael jordan already" style of gameplay. It forces you to play around to the story in some cases.

# 168 OkayC @ 09/22/14 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clappington
Any Proof of this? links? recording? or am I just suppose to take your word? Im sorry would you like me to supply you with some real information? I would be more than happy, none the less if you don't wanna play it then don't 2k isn't going to force you.
You don't have to believe me, personally to me your just some dude on the other side of a cpu monitor, what you believe or don't believe isn't of any concern to me, but its something that was said.

# 169 OkayC @ 09/22/14 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
which has come directly from the devs mouth, is that MyPlayer was once again the most played mode in the game
24 can i use a portion of your post for a minute?(or forever since were on the internet)

# 170 HowDareI @ 09/22/14 10:17 PM
Quote:
Please read the post, 3 posts above yours.
About it being the most played mode? That's exactly my point.

Call of Duty was fun for a few years when it kept doing the same thing..but they never changed anything. And none of the dudes I used to play it with play anymore. And now they're trying hard as you know to try and do something different and now (to me) it seems like too much.

2K actually understands that at a certain point people want something different.
There's not much you can do with a grinding style career mode with no story.
Remember Madden's before connected careers? Boring as heck.

2K could try connected careers for people who don't want a story style career, but it's harder in basketball.

But seriously, do you not think people wouldn't get bored of playing the same career over and over with no story at all? Who's to say this year there's not different paths you can take?
The casuals are the reason the mode is played the most, and they love the story. They're the one's who'd stop playing after a while if there wasn't a story and it was just the same thing year after year.

# 171 lakers24 @ 09/22/14 10:17 PM
The debate on this is very interesting and fun. I think I might make a thread on it and see what everyone thinks about my approach. Hmmm

# 172 Taer @ 09/22/14 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by etched Chaos
MyCareer is a distinctly non-simhead experience. It's a wish fulfillment mode, a proper simhead would never touch it, because it's not completely realistic...
This is hog-wash.

Maybe it is because I have professional-level sport people in my family but "pretending" to be a super-star is something that is pure fantastical to me. No matter how hard I try, there is no way I can imitate being Kobe with any hope of sim-head realism. My being "transported" somehow into the NBA experience and having the talent others have is something I can get immersed into.

It is far from realistic to presume anyone can pretend to be another actual star in 2k, as realistic as it is. Hell, even Stephan Curry couldn't figure out 2k's Stephan Curry's jump-shot!

# 173 etched Chaos @ 09/22/14 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swac07
Lol you guys think 2k made this stuff about what goes in the NBA like stupid bets, clown noses, and etc..?

It happens in real life behind closed doors in the NBA and especially Nfl...as kooky as it may seem in game im sure they talked to players to receive insight on what goes on (well the G rated versions) behind closed doors on a team. I have a homie in the NFL now and the rookie stories he"s told me are not too far fetched from some of the stuff that was in 2k14...just 2k took the "mild" approach about it
In MLB the rookies get hazed like the red nose all the time. The Phillies bullpen love to have the rooks haul around a pink backpack all season long, these things happen in all sports.

It just seems that because it's in a game then it must be a cheesy lie.

# 174 OkayC @ 09/22/14 10:19 PM
Quote:
About it being the most played mode? That's exactly my point.

Call of Duty was fun for a few years when it kept doing the same thing..but they never changed anything. And none of the dudes I used to play it with play anymore. And now they're trying hard as you know to try and do something different and now (to me) it seems like too much.

2K actually understands that at a certain point people want something different.
There's not much you can do with a grinding style career mode with no story.
Remember Madden's before connected careers? Boring as heck.

2K could try connected careers for people who don't want a story style career, but it's harder in basketball.

But seriously, do you not think people wouldn't get bored of playing the same career over and over with no story at all? Who's to say this year there's not different paths you can take?
The casuals are the reason the mode is played the most, and they love the story. They're the one's who'd stop playing after a while if there wasn't a story and it was just the same thing year after year.
Actually no, i was talking about how you said something to the effect of the story not affecting the gameplay, or something like that. I don't dispute that mycareer was the most played mode and never have. I completely believe that.

# 175 HowDareI @ 09/22/14 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
COD still sells out and breaks sales records man. But that's besides the point.

The story actually does effect the core gameplay when it forces scripted sequences like making you hit have to hit a buzzer beater, scripted injuries, missed free throws for the sake of story. Etc. It also does encourage a hero ball "be the next michael jordan already" style of gameplay. It forces you to play around to the story in some cases.
The online population for Ghosts was horrible, I made the mistake of buying it and you can't even get a full 6 on 6 half the time.

And you're missing the part where I said I'm with you. I don't mind the story if it doesn't effect the game. There can be story without changing gameplay.

For instance, just say you gotta play "a good game" before the game. (meaning you gotta get a B grade or higher) to get the starting job. Not, "Score 30 and shut down your man".

# 176 kadzier @ 09/22/14 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swac07

I don't doubt plenty of crazy stuff goes down in the locker room, but there's a line of plausibility to be drawn. Maybe an NBA player would show up at a team meeting with a clown nose, but not an official postgame press conference, and the idea of a rookie totally going against a coach's gameplan to ballhog because of a bet isn't that realistic either, as that rookie would get benched quick

# 177 OkayC @ 09/22/14 10:22 PM
Quote:
And you're missing the part where I said I'm with you. I don't mind the story if it doesn't effect the game. There can be story without changing gameplay.
First thing we've agreed on all night.

# 178 etched Chaos @ 09/22/14 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
This is hog-wash.

Maybe it is because I have professional-level sport people in my family but "pretending" to be a super-star is something that is pure fantastical to me. No matter how hard I try, there is no way I can imitate being Kobe with any hope of sim-head realism. My being "transported" somehow into the NBA experience and having the talent others have is something I can get immersed into.

It is far from realistic to presume anyone can pretend to be another actual star in 2k, as realistic as it is. Hell, even Stephan Curry couldn't figure out 2k's Stephan Curry's jump-shot!
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. My point was that a player being transported into the NBA to play his career is not a sim head type deal, as you pointed out. My idea of a proper sim-head is someone who wants every single facet of the game to be 100% realistic, playing a wish fulfillment mode is anathema to that.

Some of us wanna be superstars, some want to be a 6th man (no idea why), some wanna be journeymen, some want to play for their team and lead them to the promised land. The devs have to write a story that will enjoyed by the most people, invariably that means become a superstar, unless they throw more resources at it, that'll be the general path a story takes.

# 179 HowDareI @ 09/22/14 10:23 PM
Quote:
Actually no, i was talking about how you said something to the effect of the story not affecting the gameplay, or something like that. I don't dispute that mycareer was the most played mode and never have. I completely believe that.
I meant what I said, CORE gameplay. As in, the mechanics of the game itself. It doesn't change the game.

What you mean is it changes how you have to approach games. And I agree, it shouldn't give you crazy goals in game that you have to meet or else they take your minutes away.
It should be based more around your teammate grade if anything, I don't think it would be as frustrating and play less like an arcade cheese fest where you gotta jack up 40 shots in a game.

# 180 OkayC @ 09/22/14 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by etched Chaos
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. My point was that a player being transported into the NBA to play his career is not a sim head type deal, as you pointed out. My idea of a proper sim-head is someone who wants every single facet of the game to be 100% realistic, playing a wish fulfillment mode is anathema to that.

Some of us wanna be superstars, some want to be a 6th man (no idea why), some wanna be journeymen, some want to play for their team and lead them to the promised land. The devs have to write a story that will enjoyed by the most people, invariably that means become a superstar, unless they throw more resources at it, that'll be the general path a story takes.
I think this is where some of us disagree. mycareer can be for simheads. Because its SIMULATING, what you would want to do as a basketball player. just because the CONCEPT sounds fake, doesn't mean it can't have a real approach to it. And i think thats the point your missing

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.