Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

In my review, I panned Madden NFL 15's presentation because of its commentary and a few other glitches in the matrix. Honestly, as the game has aged I feel like several other aspects of the presentation have noticeable flaws within them as well which have become even more visible.

Here are five things I think next year's game needs to really work on to be a clear step above this year's:
  1. Improve the commentary. This goes without saying, as I think this might be the most obvious place Madden needs help. Lines need to be accurately delivered at the last, with the announcers being more aware of what's going on. Even more importantly, the depth of lines needs to be about double what they are to prevent so many darned repeated one-liners.
  2. The stat overlays are awesome, but they disappear way too quickly. I really feel having the announcers talk about the overlays and also keeping them up for more than a few seconds would be great. Perhaps incorporate the playbook stuff into a format where there could still be a TV broadcast going on while you call plays. Just a thought.
  3. More 'situational realism'. This is a problem not just with Madden, but many sports games. The playoffs need to feel like the playoffs. 3rd and 1 needs to feel like a big make or break play. Arrowhead needs to sound like Arrowhead. The crowd needs to crescendo and then 'pop' when a long pass is completed. There's so much untouched material.
  4. Actual in-stadium music. I think this is the one little thing that could add so much. The actual kickoff and touchdown songs would be incredible -- I know the licensing can be problematic but it'd be a cool touch for NFL fans.
  5. Halftime shows which we don't feel like skipping through. Let me first say, I want to give EA credit for doing a halftime show. Let me also be the guy to say this as well: it could be so much better. Unlike other sports, football is a weekly event. Everyone's playing, there are moving parts around the league that implicate your game at the same time. In-game cut ins (see: NCAA Football) would be amazing, as would halftime shows that discuss the impacts of the game in progress, especially late in the year.

What would you like to see Madden NFL incorporate into the presentation next year?

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 NZ Buccaneer @ 11/15/14 06:47 AM
I liked the different camera angles and cuts for the cam Newton game at the start, but no other moments or games seem to have that.

# 22 Cardot @ 11/15/14 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
The commentary is never going to improve if they keep using the wrong people. They try to find the biggest names possible and stick them in the game. This is nothing against Simms, Collinsworth, Nantz or Johnson but they don't have the voices that translate well to video-games.
I don't blame the announcers for this....I put this on the developers. The announcers are just handed a script to read from. It is up to the developers to make sure they say the right things at the right time. It is also up to the developers to figure out how the audio should transition if the user is speeding up the action by by-passing cut-scenes. (All the more reason for there be a setting for cut-scenes...the commentary logic could be tied to that).

# 23 PacMan3000 @ 11/15/14 12:59 PM
A lot of people added what I'd like to see--stat banners stay on longer, replays that are shot from better angles and trigger after appropriate and replay worthy plays, etc.

But I'll add one or two about the draft, because I just did a draft in my CFM.

First, there needs to be a draft timer/clock slider, just like there is for penalties. For example, I'd love to be able and just sit and watch the first round in real time, but the game makes you wait an entire two minutes per pick. It's WAY too long. Instead, I'd love to be able to change that from 2 minutes to 20 seconds or 30 seconds or 40 seconds--whatever I want.

Second, there is a Twitter feed for the draft. Problem is, the Twitter feed only updates AFTER a pick has been made. It would be so much better if, in between picks while the timer is counting down, guys like Todd McShay or Deion Sanders are essentially "live tweeting" things like, "Bills on the clock now, I think they're going to select _____!" or "Can you believe the Dolphins just passed on _____! Hopefully the Bronocs grab here" or "Only a few more seconds left, the Cowboys better select that freak athlete _____!"

Although the random draft classes aren't perfect (wonky shoulder pads, dreads), they are actually pretty good overall. Some classes will have five LT's going in round 1, other classes there are no worthy LT's at all. I like the variety. But what I don't like are the draft storylines as they are currently done. I thought they were fun in the past, as they gave you a continuing story of a guy's path to the NFL all year. Now, not only is it sporadic, but it repeats, and come draft day, Adam Shefter can give you the exact same spiel about a guy's college production--but do it for two different prospects. Gotta be fixed.

And lastly, for scouting and draft---can we at least get more to go on besides using XP points to unveil grades? I mean seriously...can't we at least get raw measurable numbers from the combine? Can't we know a guy's 40 time? Can't we know his broad jump numbers? Can't we know his entire college career stats? Or how many starts he had? Or his injury history and how many games he's missed? Because if you're not going to give us a true, playable college all-star game, or a playable combine or playable pro-day, then I'd like to reserve using my XP points on things that are intangible--throwing accuracy, awareness, play recognition, development--then things that are highly tangible (speed, jumping, etc).

# 24 stos5363 @ 11/15/14 03:16 PM
Also I wish they would bring back dynamic weather it was hooked up to the weather channel on NCAA 13 and 14 it was cool and very accurate. Adds to the imersion

# 25 njdevils14 @ 11/15/14 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radney
I agree. Madden needs to let the user set their own weather like they did in the past. I hate that now all the weather is pre-determined in each game.
You don't get to pick the weather for play nows?

# 26 evanreyes @ 11/15/14 07:32 PM
They just need to add music in general. I hate the music in the menus that they currently have.

# 27 Sheba2011 @ 11/16/14 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I don't blame the announcers for this....I put this on the developers. The announcers are just handed a script to read from. It is up to the developers to make sure they say the right things at the right time. It is also up to the developers to figure out how the audio should transition if the user is speeding up the action by by-passing cut-scenes. (All the more reason for there be a setting for cut-scenes...the commentary logic could be tied to that).
I am not so much blaming the announcers, but it is a lot more involved than just reading a script. A lot of the lines Phil Simms uses in the game are the same lines he uses on Sundays. I am willing to bet he had a big hand in actually writing the script they read from. While it is ultimately up to the developers to make sure it matches the action some people just don't have a voice that translates well to video games. Jim Nantz for instance sounds too robotic, I thought the same thing in the Tiger Woods games with him.

# 28 sdhsth @ 11/16/14 01:04 PM
I just want a live ticker and in-game highlights to show scores from other games, kind of like NCAA football did.

# 29 Cardot @ 11/16/14 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
I am not so much blaming the announcers, but it is a lot more involved than just reading a script.
Agreed, Simms and Nantz are too robotic. Although Gus Johnson wasn't robotic...but they way EA triggered his his commentary made him look ridiculous.

# 30 MHammer113 @ 11/16/14 10:13 PM
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I played NFL 2k5 today with my brother and we both were amazed at the presentation in the game compared to Madden 15 ten years later.

- They need multiple graphic overlays and commentating crews
- Real time announcing like NBA 2k when they talk about other things going on in the league and things that happened last week
- Stadium music overhaul
- On field sounds need to be improved between players. When a big hit occurs or something crazy happens you should hear the players screaming and yelling.
- Stadium sounds need to be better too. Crowd noise levels need to be tweaked from stadium to stadium and game to game.
- Variations in pre and post game stuff

I could go on forever. "If it's in the game. It's in the game"....SUREEEE

# 31 Sheba2011 @ 11/16/14 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Reel
At this point, it should be evident that its not the announcers themselves that are the problem, but rather the way EA records them and implements it in the game.

They will ruin commentary regardless of who they get.
I'd say its a combo of the two they are selecting the wrong guys and EA is not implementing them correctly.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.